• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
There are thousands of scientist in the same place now. They will figure a way to rebuild. Life always finds a way without the retarded aid of machines. New ai and VIs can be created. With the intelligence and technology at hand, they could colonize the moon and any other planets in the solar system. It's not as dire as you would think. even starchild said the cycle would repeat itself, organics would create more technology, ai, and the synthetics and organics would be back to war shortly.

I don't really take starchild's word on anything... His solutions to everything fucking suck. Hey... These organics were almost destroyed by synthetics... I KNOW! I'll create giant monster ships to kill everybody every 50 thousand years. heh. I'm awesome.

That's why I'm saying that synthesis is obviously the paragon choice compared to those two.

It's also good that you bring it up because the whole ending sequence gave me serious dejavu of the Geth decision in ME2. Basically the same idea, control/overwrite synthetics or destruction.

Not obvious at all. Plus... what is to prevent the new hybrid DNA species from creating more synthetics which will kill them? This is why all the endings are dumb. At least destroy officially breaks the cycle of the Reapers and allows for diversity of species/cultures to rise again.

sTeLioSco

Banned
i0YX3AzvBndRP.jpg

Arjen

In synth, whats stopping the organic/synthetics hybrids from making full synthetics that will rise up against them? Or is every synthetic ever created from that point on automatically graced with the space dust to make it part organic?

Space Magic

The game really should have ended right after that scene with Shepard and Anderson. Maybe with a Fallout-style summary of your crew after it. I could have lived with that.

Yup and I will never understand why they went in the direction they did, especially when they talk about wanting sacrifice.

MG310

I didn't like how all 3 assume that Shepard changed nothing about the galaxy - even if you solved all of the racial or organic/synthetic problems.

But nope, whatever you say hologram space station child.

Galactic Fork

Is there any consequence to destroying the collector base versus saving it from the end of ME2?

Yeah, you're surprised to see the human reaper when you're at the Cerberus base if you destroyed the collector base. Not so much if you handed it to them.

Is there any consequence to destroying the collector base versus saving it from the end of ME2?

No. I destroyed it and somehow Cerberus still managed to salvage the baby Reaper even though it should be in about 50 trillion pieces now. The explosion was strong enough to disintegrate all the ship wreckage in the area but not enough to disintegrate the Reaper inside it...

TIM says something about it on Mars, that's it though.

Jarmel

Banned
Pick Control, tell Reapers to fly into the nearest blackhole, ask Alliance to build you a new robot body, final destination.

Considering the Lazarus Project was based off of Reaper tech, I see no reason why Shepard couldn't build himself a nice new organic body.

But everyone would still be different with one common trait.

I guess it doesn't matter which is chosen since the ending were not thought out as well as they could have been.

But it's like saying that if everyone were just white everything would be ok... or if men, bears, and pigs were in an intergalactic struggle, the answer would be...

MANBEARPIG!!!

Galactic Fork

Considering the Lazarus Project was based off of Reaper tech, I see no reason why Shepard couldn't build himself a nice new organic body.

Where does it say that? I just watched the Project Lazarus stuff, and I didn't see any reference to reaper tech.

Patryn

Makes Control the easiest ending to unlock as opposed to Destroy (only comes into play if you have super low EMS), and adds some more assets (I think it's worth around 100, but I may be wrong).

Meier

One quick question: I had War Assets of just under 6,000 but no online pass so the Readiness thing kicked my ass. I'll buy it when a GOTY edition comes out to see what I missed and get those achievements.

Did this have any affect on the cut scene for anything but destroying the Reapers? The other two paths seem like it wouldn't have made a difference.

One quick question: I had War Assets of just under 6,000 but no online pass so the Readiness thing kicked my ass. I'll buy it when a GOTY edition comes out to see what I missed and get those achievements.

Did this have any affect on the cut scene for anything but destroying the Reapers? The other two paths seem like it wouldn't have made a difference.

Earth can get scorched along with the Reapers instead of the big red candy laser only hitting the Reapers.

Galactic Fork

Big ben isn't destroyed. People cheer, Shepard wakes up. There's a parade. You know, the normal.

It's seemed to be implied but not confirmed I guess. I thought it had been but apparently I was wrong on that.

The videos just say Miranda kicks ass. She was all whiney and regretful about wanting a chip in Shepards head, I think she would have mentioned she used reaper tech for the Lazarus project.

Patryn

You can unlock everything else without MP.

Meier

You can unlock everything else without MP.

Just to clarify, are you saying the Control and Synthesis options are unaffected by your war score and their endings are fully "unlocked" regardless? That makes sense since you're not really relying on everyone else but I just wanted to confirm.

Otherwise without the online pass, regardless of whether you play MP, the game will not talk to your external Galaxy at War scores (via Infiltrator or the Datapad) and therefore does not reflect your readiness rating upgrades.

Galactic Fork

Just to clarify, are you saying the Control and Synthesis options are unaffected by your war score and their endings are fully "unlocked" regardless? That makes sense since you're not really relying on everyone else but I just wanted to confirm.

Otherwise without the online pass, regardless of whether you play MP, the game will not talk to your external Galaxy at War scores (via Infiltrator or the Datapad) and therefore does not reflect your readiness rating upgrades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA

There, all the endings.

The goods require 5000 EMS, the bads not so much. The destroy very bad even less.

Patryn

No. You need a high enough EMS to unlock those endings. However, the threshold is really low (something like 2500?), which is easily obtainable if you simply play most of the single-player game.

Lime

Shepard's life was vastly improved by receiving synthetic upgrades. I remember being baffled by a onversation I overheard in the Huerta Memorial Hospital where a soldier was going to have to have his leg amputated and be out of action for months due to receiving an infection. That seemed entirely silly and unrealistic for something that was happening in the future (I feel like it's in the 2300s but I can't recall if they specify the time exactly).

It seems to me like a natural progression for life as we know it.

That is Shepard's own decision to make. That does not mean she has the right to decide for others - the Synthesis ending automatically overrides any respect for other moral agents, while obliterating any differences between the races.

In relation to the lore: It is also what Saren advocated in ME1.

Meier, I like the way you think.

I think the synthesis ending is fairly inoffensive, and pretty attuned to the original 70s/80s sci-fi spirit of the franchise.

The lack of personal closure is a bigger issue for most people.

It's more paragon than the other endings what are you talking about.

Destroy and Control seem pretty fucking renegade to me.

Destroy = Genocide.
Synthesis = See above.
Control = sacrifice yourself to control the Reapers and fly them away from the galaxy.

I'd argue Control is the least reprehensible of the three choices. If you think about it for a couple of seconds, it should be pretty obvious.

Dany

Banned
Destroying the reapers achieves the goal of the three games. And its the only one where Shepard lives. Believe.

Jarmel

Banned
The videos just say Miranda kicks ass. She was all whiney and regretful about wanting a chip in Shepards head, I think she would have mentioned she used reaper tech for the Lazarus project.

It's not just the videos. If I remember correctly Space Casper stated in the destroy ending that your implants would be destroyed along with the Geth. The reasoning for the Geth component was due to their Reaper upgrade. However I just watched the ending video and the Destroy ending talks about wiping out all synthetics and much of the advanced technology so I have no fucking clue what to make of that. It could imply any sort of VI or advanced technology is gone.

Galactic Fork

It's not just the videos. If I remember correctly Space Casper stated in the destroy ending that your implants would be destroyed along with the Geth. The reasoning for the Geth component was due to their Reaper upgrade. However I just watched the ending video and the Destroy ending talks about wiping out all synthetics and much of the advanced technology so I have no fucking clue what to make of that. It could imply any sort of VI or advanced technology is gone.

The technology bit is only in <5000 EMS speech.

Either way he says it will destroy all synthetic life. Then comments that shepard is partly synthetic. Doesn't say what the threshold of syntheticness is. And doesn't specify only things with reaper tech. Not very well thought out. Plus you can't talk to the stupid boy and call him on his BS.

What I hated about control was that you just were arguing with TIM about control not even 2 minutes before you meet the kid. Then, when you are proposed with the same idea you just said no one should do and went on about what if you lost control, you agree to it without so much as even asking questions or arguing about it? It was so out of character for Shepard that it just felt completely off.

RDreamer

Here's the way I see the choices and why those are the choices. I think the crucible functioned just to use the citadel and relays to send out a sort of emp like pulse throughout the galaxy to destroy the reapers. That's the only way to kill them all, really, so it has to use the relay system. Also, the kind of clue and crux to me about the crucibles use is Javiks absoluteness of being against any synthetic. He is against any compromise. Kill then at once, and kill them all if you can. This is the clue to the crucibles main fiction; kill them all at once and be done with it.

Anyway, the relay system and citadel is cared for by an overarching ai/vi sort of reaper (star child). Now when you meet him your intent is to use the crucible the way it was meant and destroy everything. Obviously anything the kid says is going to be from his perspective. Remember he has a deeply differet perspective than you. He's seen millions of years of evolution of both synthetics and and organics. Essentially he's kind of from the future but not really. Anyway, anything he says is reaper logic. And by reaper logic he is correct, since they consider themselves the sort of ultimate in evolution, and they came to the conclusion that the imperfect and chaotic organics had to be assimilated into their perfection. Since they believe they are destiny, then yes they would say that it is inevitable to happen again and again down the road. Remember the geth and edi are a sort of micro on the scale of time that it would have taken for the reapers to have come about. They're further back, so their peace is temporary according to the reapers.

Anyway you're given other choices, but those choices are jus a sort of modification of the original use of the crucible, so they have to follow the same sort of rules, thus the similar endings. Synthesis is presented as a solution to the problem of imperfect/perfect conflict because afterwards they're all the same and all perfect and have order. Control is given as an option, because, I think the reapers believe that once Shepard does this he will essentially be a reaper. He'll be one of them. He'll be enlightened to their logic and their cycle. Ultimately they don't care about being controlled, likely because of this. Also, control is like a self preservation option for them. The clue here is the past indoctrinated always argued for control.

Anyway, you can destroy them as you intended, but you're warned that this would destroy a lot more. Remember, the basis for technology throughout the system and especially the delays and things were reapers tech. In destroying reapers they destroy it all. You could also think of that sort of thing as a fail safe for them. That's why Shepard is warned by the star child. It's like when you're persuading someone you'd say sure you could do it that way, but look at the consequences. And then the star child added in his own logic and perspective along with that persuasion that the cycle would continue later anyway. Anyway, to sum it up easily he's basically saying "well you could do what you originally intended, or you could use the thing in the way I've modified in these ways because of my perspective. "

Patryn

What I hated about control was that you just were arguing with TIM about control not even 2 minutes before you meet the kid. Then, when you are proposed with the same idea you just said no one should do and went on about what if you lost control, you agree to it without so much as even asking questions or arguing about it? It was so out of character for Shepard that it just felt completely off.

Legion Loyalty Quest:

(At Start)
Shepard: Brainwashing people is wrong and rewriting is just like that! Why do you want to be so evil??

(At End)
Shepard: I'm going to good and paragon-like, so I'm going to brainwash all these Geth!

Jarmel

Banned
The technology bit is only in <5000 EMS speech.

Either way he says it will destroy all synthetic life. Then comments that shepard is partly synthetic. Doesn't say what the threshold of syntheticness is. And doesn't specify only things with reaper tech. Not very well thought out. Plus you can't talk to the stupid boy and call him on his BS.

It's still part of the ending though. How are we determine which is canon in that case?

Fuck this is all so goddamn stupid.

Galactic Fork

Legion Loyalty Quest:

(At Start)
Shepard: Brainwashing people is wrong and rewriting is just like that! Why do you want to be so evil??

(At End)
Shepard: I'm going to good and paragon-like, so I'm going to brainwash all these Geth!

What really bugged me is that in the Legion loyalty quest, rewriting WAS the paragon choice. That always bugged me. Brainwashing is much worse than killing them.

Derrick01

Banned
I wonder if that would kill off all the quarians with their suits no longer working.

Maybe. If geth can get inside the suit then it must be advanced enough. Which also makes me wonder what happens to a Quarian if that blast went off while geth was inside their suit? Would it like, overload on them or something? lol

Jarmel

Banned
They're all canon. The whole canon thing is dumb anyway.

So in that case Destroy is pretty much a Dark Age equivalent as most of the technology would be wiped. I mean if something like cybernetic implants is wiped then I can't imagine the starships with stuff like the Thanix cannons faring any better.

Galactic Fork

So in that case Destroy is pretty much a Dark Age equivalent as most of the technology would be wiped. I mean if something like cybernetic implants is wiped then I can't imagine the starships faring any better.

Same thing happens in control/bad.

Top Bottom