• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

flyover

It would have been so easy to have a fourth ending that -- while still problematic or incomplete in some ways -- would at least fit with Shepard's character (Paragon or Renegade, really) and wouldn't require any more art assets.

After Starchild talks, Shepard says something to the tune of "I don't think I believe a word of that. And even if it's true, those choices are shit. I'm not doing any of them. I'm just one soldier, and the Crucible was just one possible solution to kicking your asses. The war can continue without me, and it can continue without the Crucible. The Protheans held on for centuries, and they did it alone. I brought the whole goddamn galaxy together, organics and synthetics. It doesn't matter if I die up here, because sooner or later, you guys are fucked."

That was the choice I wanted to make for my Shepard, and (short of stopping playing) I wasn't able to.

Shepard doesn't know he's a character in a videogame, much less the main character. So why should he think his own story's ending must also be the war's ending? The writer(s) seemed to forget that.

Synth is terrible because it reminds me of the JC/Helios ending of Invisible War, where their position from the first game ("People will naturally choose to be augmented once they see the benefits, those who don't will be left behind.") changes to the "Well let's use Aquinas to forcefully distribute augmentations to everyone on Earth so they can all be connected to Helios and take part in perfect democracy."

It turns JC and Shepard into more benevolent forms of Omar, but still violating sentient beings' right to self-determination.

Meier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA

There, all the endings.

The goods require 5000 EMS, the bads not so much. The destroy very bad even less.

Yeah, so just one synthesis ending.. makes sense. Couldn't really focus on the destroy endings differences.. that's such a mindfuck of a video! Hah. Anyway, I stand by my decision as synthesis being the most Paragon-like ending. It's in line with the Geth re-writing being the "good" choice (poor Tali), it has the least collateral damage, technology remains advanced and likely even more so and it ends the war with the Reapers.

With that in mind, I still was okay with the ending since I chose that route. I got a bit of a kick out of the fact that the post-credits bit means we'll probably play as Shepard again in Mass 4. I was expecting it'd just be in the same universe at a different time period (maybe pre-Genophage or something) with completely new characters but it seems like that won't be the case in all likelihood.

Jaffaboy

25 point difference in your green progress bar.
I actually don't know, but that seems what pretty much all decisions boil down to in the end.

Rewriting/destroying the Heretics and keeping/deleting Maelon's data in 2 have massive consequences in 3. You can't save both the geth and Quarians, and I think you can't keep the Salarians and Krogan happy if you delete the data, or at least it's mentioned that curing it will take longer or something. I'm not sure though, cos I kept it.

Sotha Sil

Did I mention how I hate these endings? This is essentially large scale suicide.

Pretty much. It's utterly unfixable. Any ending DLC would be extra-horrible; it would be like giving CPR to a corpse.

I think I've reached the acceptance stage. Shepard had a hard life. Time to move on.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Only the Shepard lives scene requires 5000, and only that one scene. The "goods" only require about 2500.

Ohh. Ok.

Yeah, so just one synthesis ending.. makes sense. Couldn't really focus on the destroy endings differences.. that's such a mindfuck of a video! Hah. Anyway, I stand by my decision as synthesis being the most Paragon-like ending. It's in line with the Geth re-writing being the "good" choice (poor Tali), it has the least collateral damage, technology remains advanced and likely even more so and it ends the war with the Reapers.

*sigh*

flyover

Pretty much. It's utterly unfixable. Any ending DLC would be extra-horrible; it would be like giving CPR to a corpse.

I think I've reached the acceptance stage. Shepard had a hard life. Time to move on.

Yeah, I think I agree, especially because any ending that's tacked on now wouldn't feel real. The ending is the ending. It sucks, but it's the ending.

RDreamer

Also, of course the choices will be flawed. You're essentially using reaper tech with implanted reaper ai/vi against the reapers. It's obviously not going to paint the original intent in good light, and the options it presents will conform to its own logic. What else could you do? Nothing at all? That would likely just lead to annihilation and nothing really changing. It's not a force that can really be won on sheer force. Thats why they needed the crucible to begin with.

Sotha Sil

Also, of course the choices will be flawed. You're essentially using reaper tech with implanted reaper ai/vi against the reapers. It's obviously not going to paint the original intent in good light, and the options it presents will conform to its own logic. What else could you do? Nothing at all? That would likely just lead to annihilation and nothing really changing. It's not a force that can really be won on sheer force. Thats why they needed the crucible to begin with.

Sometime a plot point makes sense in-universe, and still completely goes against the story's main theme. This is one of those times.

Spiegel

i0YX3AzvBndRP.jpg

I can live with the original ending (yes, I don't care) but the game really should have ended there with Anderson&Shepard dying and the crucible firing something.

I really loved that part and would have been a fitting ending to Shepard's journey.

But still, I'm okay too with the original ending.

Zomba13

So guys, is the indoctrination theory true or what? I'm sure a consensus on this has been reached by now.

Not true at all. A nice thing to hope for but not true. They had planned on having an indoctrination part in the story but scrapped it because they couldn't get the controls right.
That and the ending was confirmed to be confusing and vague to cause 'LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE'.

I haven't finished the game but I finally caved to the spoilers because I have a friend who is a massive Bioware fan who needed to rant to someone (and everyone else he could talk to hadn't finished the game yet). So, even though I may not be a huge fan of the series myself, I can truly say I feel bad for you guys who are if the indoctrination theory does turn out to be false. I really think it would be a shame (but probably not unlikely).

Omega

Banned
Bioware responses so far point to "no."

Still, it's the only theory that fills the plot holes.

Very depressing.

It's also the only thing that explains that annoying vent kid and those dreams. (which aside from the ending and these two things, the game was perfect to me)

But this is just wishful thinking guys. I would say it's time to just accept the ending but since their doing something about it..I guess continue supporting the indoc theory?

BioWare just isn't as talented as they used to be. We're giving them too much credit and perhaps bailed them out.

Just make the ending DLC the IT. Add a bunch of cut scenes filling in the blanks. It fills in all the plot holes and really is an incredible and intelligent ending. That Last Hours napkin leak kinda killed it off tho because Walters and Hudson didn't seem to think anything of it. The napkin is why nobody thinks the IT is right. Death to the napkin (I know it was a sheet of paper but I'm calling it a napkin).

Space magic isn't such a big deal since I've being using biotic magic through all 3 games.

Biotics are the result of genetic alteration from birth. Then they have to be enhanced with cybernetic crap.

Javik talks about the reason all the Asari are biotics is because the Protheans basically did crap to their genes when they were still a young species.

Geeker

What doesnt make sense to me with the indoc theory is that Shepard wakes up on earth after destroying the reapers, ie. rejecting indoctrination. So far so good, he won the battle in his head, but the situation in reality is the same no? He is still in a pile of rubble and has to get to the citadel to activate the crucible.

Ergo, the indoc theory doesnt hold or at the very best Bioware did have the time to finish it and we are left with the shit we have now

It's also the only thing that explains that annoying vent kid and those dreams. (which aside from the ending and these two things, the game was perfect to me)

But this is just wishful thinking guys. I would say it's time to just accept the ending but since their doing something about it..I guess continue supporting the indoc theory?

BioWare just isn't as talented as they used to be. We're giving them too much credit and perhaps bailed them out.

It makes you think how could it not have something to do with the IT? How could they inadvertently add those clues in the game (no one noticing the kid when he stepped on the shuttle, the reaper growls, all the other stuff in the Youtube analysis)? How could all that stuff just happen randomly?

Well indoctrination was a plan according to design documents which would explain things throughout the game that hint at it. Still, I think they just dropped the idea but left in the old "clues."

What doesnt make sense to me with the indoc theory is that Shepard wakes up on earth after destroying the reapers, ie. rejecting indoctrination. So far so good, he won the battle in his head, but the situation in reality is the same no? He is still in a pile of rubble and has to get to the citadel to activate the crucible.

Ergo, the indoc theory doesnt hold or at the very best Bioware did have the time to finish it and we are left with the shit we have now
Well I guess the idea is that the DLC would be a "BUT WAIT, IT'S NOT OVER!" type thing where you get the real ending.

RDreamer

I'm not entirely convinced about the endoctrination theory as a whole, but I'm pretty certain Shepard was at the very least fighting off indoctrination and reaper suggestion/persuasion while on the Citadel/Crucible. That much is pretty obvious to me on even first viewing of the ending events.

It makes you think how could it not have something to do with the IT? How could they inadvertently add those clues in the game (no one noticing the kid when he stepped on the shuttle, the reaper growls, all the other stuff in the Youtube analysis)? How could all that stuff just happen randomly?

I honestly think it was the plan at the start, and at the end either ran out of time or just simply could not figure out where to go with it. Now they are just covering their tracks.

Makes sense. Just means the game isn't over. F U Bioware.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Biotics are the result of genetic alteration from birth. Then they have to be enhanced with cybernetic crap.

Javik talks about the reason all the Asari are biotics is because the Protheans basically did crap to their genes when they were still a young species.

More specifically they're the result of eezo exposure before birth. Thessia has lots of eezo all over the planet so a lot of the life is affected by that. I think they have biotic animals as well. Plus it's explained as the mind directing mass effect energy because of eezo nodes or something.

Well indoctrination was a plan according to design documents which would explain things throughout the game that hint at it. Still, I think they just dropped the idea but left in the old "clues."

If that's what happened wtf... why leave the clues in there to mindfuck your audience. Now is their opportunity to run with the theory and add to the ending. All the clues and stuff are already there. Have Shep's arm come shooting out of the rubble like how they do it in movies and then you're tasked with completing the real Crucible mission.

Rufus

Doesn't make it all that more believable, but this is the kind of stuff you can safely overlook. It's part of the premise, just like the titular mass effect or FTL drives. It's all nonsense, but it's coherent nonsense at least.

If that's what happened wtf... why leave the clues in there to mindfuck your audience. Now is their opportunity to run with the theory and add to the ending. All the clues and stuff are already there. Have Shep's arm come shooting out of the rubble like how they do it in movies and then you're tasked with completing the real Crucible mission.
If Bioware ends up doing this they will be lambasted beyond belief for it but hey, at this point what do they really have to lose?

Oh, I'm all for this, but Bioware wants to maintain "artistic integrity." F U Bioware.

DTKT

Mostly because it might take a long time to remove any clues they had previously used.

Least effort possible. :|

Top Bottom