• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Lothars

If their current ending made sense it wouldn't be as bad. They decided on this ending. They have to live with the consequences.
I don't know about that mainly because I think there was going to be an outspoken group of people speaking out against the game either way but your right they have to live with the consequences, I think how they handle this ending DLC will determine alot of how the game's legacy is.

Imagine a teaser trailer of the DLC where it's just epic music playing and then Shep's arm shooting out of the rubble and /endscene. I'd mark the fuck out.

Imagine a teaser trailer of the DLC where it's just epic music playing and then Shep's arm shooting out of the rubble and /endscene. I'd mark the fuck out.
Imagine a teaser trailer of the DLC where Shepherd and crew go of to some random planet for some dirt bike races during one of the slower portions of the mid-game.

I don't know about that mainly because I think there was going to be an outspoken group of people speaking out against the game either way but your right they have to live with the consequences, I think how they handle this ending DLC will determine alot of how the game's legacy is.

Come on. If there were 3 very different endings with 5-10 min. epilogues at least explaining the aftermath of your decisions and filling in the plot holes, people wouldn't be NEARLY as upset.

Rufus

Is there a reason why the corners of the screen as you play some levels are blacked out?
You are dying and barely dragging yourself along at that point, that'd be a good reason. Fading vision and all that.

edit: Ah, that. 'Vignetting', lots of games do it these days. I don't understand what it's supposed to achieve, since people will naturally focus on the middle of the image, because that's where your sights are aimed at all the time, but eh...

Dresden

If they actually dump in the time and money to do it right, yeah, I'd go total fanboy again.

Lothars

Come on. If there were 3 very different endings with 5-10 min. epilogues at least explaining the aftermath of your decisions and filling in the plot holes, people wouldn't be NEARLY as upset.
I don't believe that for a second because it seems as soon as bioware is involved people will be upset but I agree that should have been the case for the ending.

I don't believe that for a second because it seems as soon as bioware is involved people will be upset but I agree that should have been the case for the ending.

PEople would still complain, but it would not be THIS bad. This time last week, shit hit the fan with people vandalizing Casey Hudson's wikipedia page, the ME3 BSN forums shutting down, and a whole lot of other mess going on because of the ending and how Walters and Hudson came up with it

Omega

Banned
I find it sad that Forbes, a company that really has nothing to do with gaming is on our side and that sites like IGN, G4, etc. that are associated with gaming aren't.

Instead, we're just entitled brats to other gamers while the outsiders accept us.

Forbes (FORBES!) has been doing some good reporting on this.

It's just a shame that for the most part you have to go to sources mostly outside the field to see journalists actually doing their job properly.

Forbes do deserve a lot of credit for the quality of their reporting though, I agree. It was hilarious seeing Moriarty being a hypocrite after Kain did what actual journalists should do, such as crosschecking and researching.

Colin: this is called journalism. You should try it some time, instead of being such a hack.

Yeah, so just one synthesis ending.. makes sense. Couldn't really focus on the destroy endings differences.. that's such a mindfuck of a video! Hah. Anyway, I stand by my decision as synthesis being the most Paragon-like ending. It's in line with the Geth re-writing being the "good" choice (poor Tali), it has the least collateral damage, technology remains advanced and likely even more so and it ends the war with the Reapers.

With that in mind, I still was okay with the ending since I chose that route. I got a bit of a kick out of the fact that the post-credits bit means we'll probably play as Shepard again in Mass 4. I was expecting it'd just be in the same universe at a different time period (maybe pre-Genophage or something) with completely new characters but it seems like that won't be the case in all likelihood.

Difference between "good" and "bad" (for destroy and control): Soldiers raise their hands in celebration as the Reapers are destroyed or leave.

Difference with vaporization: Soldiers blow up for some reason.

Dresden

The shit ending is eroding their support among the hardcore fanbase (the sort who posts HOLD THE LINE or Tali fanfics with no irony on BSN), which should be a big cause for concern. You can't sell games reaching out to casuals alone; even Call of Duty has its rabid fans.

For all the shit Bioware will take a new DLC ending, if done well, will do a lot for its image.

I find it sad that Forbes, a company that really has nothing to do with gaming is on our side and that sites like IGN, G4, etc. that are associated with gaming aren't.

Instead, we're just entitled brats to other gamers while the outsiders accept us.

It's just a shame that for the most part you have to go to sources mostly outside the field to see journalists actually doing their job properly.

Forbes do deserve a lot of credit for the quality of their reporting though, I agree. It was hilarious seeing Moriarty being a hypocrtie after Kain did what actual journalists should do, such as crosschecking and researching.

Colin: this is called journalism. You should try it some time, instead of being such a hack.

This whole thing just solidifies the reason why we put "gaming journalists" in quotations.

RDreamer

Yeah I kind of agree and think there was almost no way in hell any ending would have worked without huge controversy. The mere mention of Bioware nowadays sends people into a frothing frenzy.

Yeah I kind of agree and think there was almost no way in hell any ending would have worked without huge controversy. The mere mention of Bioware nowadays sends people into a frothing frenzy.

You really think it would have been this bad? Sure, there would be some complaining, but an entire forum had a meltdown on BSN and this is the second thread for spoilers here.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You really think it would have been this bad? Sure, there would be some complaining, but an entire forum had a meltdown on BSN and this is the second thread for spoilers here.

At this point, i think an ending where Shepard and all your ME1/ME2/ME3 crewmates end up celebrating on a beach (with swimsuits, krogans included) with huge dead Reapers in the ocean would have been better accepted.

It would have been nowhere near this bad. I doubt a single thread would have even been made of it here outside the OT. Instead we've had a 20,000 post thread and its 2500 post successor, which is 9k more than the official thread (14k).

RDreamer

I didn't say it wouldn't be this bad, but I still think there would have been problem no matter what. The whole dlc thing is evidence enough for me. And other than that I think the whole way through the series change have been met with hostility and mistrust, especially from those that clung to ME1 as the best. Also, I think a lot of people that stuck around and became huge fans had almost lofty and truly unreasonable expectations with regard to how much your choices could change things. I think they've always done a fine job with that stuff, especially when you look at the constraints of the budget and the medium itself.

So, yeah the ending they chose had more controversy, but some was always going to be there in my opinion.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
It would have been nowhere near this bad. I doubt a single thread would have even been made of it here outside the OT. Instead we've had a 20,000 post thread and its 2500 post successor, which is 9k more than the official thread (14k).

What? This is the offical thread =3

Omega

Banned
Yes people would have complained, but it wouldn't have blown up to be this big.

This is the worst ending ever, no doubts about it which makes no sense and makes the previous two games and the first 30 or so hours of ME3 completely irrelevant.

To top it all of, we don't get an explanation of our decisions or consequences like in Dragon Age. Not only do we not get any answers and not only is everything now irrelevant, it just brings in more questions.

Meier

I think they have to release the alternate ending (or whatever) as free content personally. It's essentially the free bumper for early iPhone 4 buyers. You announce it early to get them less riled up and stop them from turning in their product and then after a little while you give it out for free. You take a bit of a loss on giving away product/content but you solidify your image which is worth more long term currency.

I think they have to release the alternate ending (or whatever) as free content personally.
My only concern with this is that if it's free they might not go all out on it and just give some cut scenes and a snippet of gameplay. I'd gladly take it up the ass and pay 10 bucks for an all-out epic ending DLC that confirmed the Indoc Theory filling all the holes, Shep's arm rocketing out of the rubble like a missile, Anderson grabbing Shep's hand and pulling her out with epic ME music playing, then we get sent on the real Crucible mission to end the game. Glorious.

Difference between "good" and "bad" (for destroy and control): Soldiers raise their hands in celebration as the Reapers are destroyed or leave.

Difference with vaporization: Soldiers blow up for some reason.

Really this is a bigger problem than any I think. Only indoctrination wiping out entire ending can account for this flaw.

My only concern with this is that if it's free they might not go all out on it and just give some cut scenes and a snippet of gameplay. I'd gladly take it up the ass and pay 10 bucks for an all-out epic ending DLC that confirmed the Indoc Theory filling all the holes, Shep's arm rocketing out of the rubble like a missile, Anderson grabbing Shep's hand and pulling her out, then we get sent on the real Crucible mission to end the game. Glorious.

I just wet my pants.

I think they have to release the alternate ending (or whatever) as free content personally. It's essentially the free bumper for early iPhone 4 buyers. You announce it early to get them less riled up and stop them from turning in their product and then after a little while you give it out for free. You take a bit of a loss on giving away product/content but you solidify your image which is worth more long term currency.
I wonder if this would even be possible after all of the attention this situation has gotten? From EA's perspective it probably looks like a great business opportunity (assuming this wasn't the plan to begin with).

danwarb

If they'd dropped space kid, the synthesis ending and Normandy scenes, just giving us the final choice to destroy or control with all the same repercussions and a better explanation for the Reapers, would that have been fine?

Stop the Reapers and destroy the Relays, or let the cycle continue. Could've been done very well. A great gloomy ending.

J-Rod

My only concern with this is that if it's free they might not go all out on it and just give some cut scenes and a snippet of gameplay. I'd gladly take it up the ass and pay 10 bucks for an all-out epic ending DLC that confirmed the Indoc Theory filling all the holes, Shep's arm rocketing out of the rubble like a missile, Anderson grabbing Shep's hand and pulling her out with epic ME music playing, then we get sent on the real Crucible mission to end the game. Glorious.
This makes me both sad and happy. Happy at how awesome it would be, but sad that the reality is star child is cannon.

MGNOV.png

Anyone have any detail on this? I listen to Podcast Beyond sometimes (when I run out of good podcasts) but I don't remember what Colin said about this specifically.

Top Bottom