• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, fuck you Shepard, instead of almost all organic life being dead, and the cycle continuing forward for the next million years where it will end over and over again only a good chunk might possibly be dead. You're such an asshole with your saving of generations and generations to come and eradicating the reaper threat.

As a note, I don't believe the relays exploding destroyed whole systems.

If it caused an Arrival type explosion then yes the Reapers would have been better. Why? Because everybody is dead. Hard to have evolution take place from a ball of rock.

Cagey

Banned
I guess Colin didn't take too kindly to that Forbes article:

7FdlK.png

Real journalists to Colin Moriarty:

Go home and get your fuckin' shinebox.

Good-Fellas-Shinebox.jpg

Rufus

Now, none of that is going to be acknowledged. The real reason they went with this ending is to set the stage for an MMO. Doing the full scale Mass Effect galaxy as an MMO setting would be insanely resource intensive and difficult. Fucking the relay network gives an excellent excuse to gradually allow access to various systems through expansions. The relay to Tuchanka has been restored! Download the Wrath of the Krogan expansion today! Putting everyone in the same system provides an excuse to have all of the races present in a game where you can't leave the local cluster or have very limited travel options. In this context, the ending makes perfect sense.
So far, I haven't read anything about the ending that made as much sense as this.

Ah shit.

Aaah shit.

Yeah, fuck you Shepard, instead of almost all organic life being dead, and the cycle continuing forward for the next million years where it will end over and over again only a good chunk might possibly be dead. You're such an asshole with your saving of generations and generations to come and eradicating the reaper threat.

Why did it damage the Normandy?

Clearly.

And like I said earlier, even if you don't believe that the relays don't go supernova, you still have a huge problem of a whole bunch of people being stranded in the Sol system or any system. It's a galactic dark age.

Jarmel

Banned

It's possible it could have damaged the electronic systems such as EDI knocking her offline however since they show damage to the propulsion system that theory is obviously out the window.

Essentially the only way to avoid it being an Arrival type explosion due to the scene with Normandy's engines being damaged means that the Normandy had to be in the Relays where there was a concentrated amount of the space magic.

I'm confused, because it damages the Normandy it therefore must destroy whole systems?

It implies that the magical waves at the end aren't something like a large scale EMP since it causes physical damage that far away from the origin point.

Vamphuntr

I'm confused, because it damages the Normandy it therefore must destroy whole systems?

No. It's because that in the ME2 DLC Arrival the explosion of a Mass Relay cause the destruction of a whole system. The thing is that they explode too in the ME3 ending but maybe the space magic will prevent destruction or something.

Omega

Banned

All organic life doesn't die. Just the advanced ones. Species like the Yahg would be left alone as they are seen as primitive and the Reapers would not go after them.

As a note, if you played the DLC, a relay exploding destroys all systems.

I guess space magic solves everything though..

XjqPo.jpg

Now, none of that is going to be acknowledged. The real reason they went with this ending is to set the stage for an MMO. Doing the full scale Mass Effect galaxy as an MMO setting would be insanely resource intensive and difficult. Fucking the relay network gives an excellent excuse to gradually allow access to various systems through expansions. The relay to Tuchanka has been restored! Download the Wrath of the Krogan expansion today! Putting everyone in the same system provides an excuse to have all of the races present in a game where you can't leave the local cluster or have very limited travel options. In this context, the ending makes perfect sense.

So far, I haven't read anything about the ending that made as much sense as this.

Artistic integrity indeed.

Digoman

Because it was exciting! To hell with logic!

Seriously, one could... *sigh* .. speculate that in the Destroy ending if EDI is integrated with the ship, it would damage it.

Of course, that doesn't help the other colors... ops... endings. And will also mean that the Normandy becomes part organic in the synthesis one.

So... best not to think about it.

Well, we do see the relays explode.

Here's my problem with the whole relay thing: We have been presented with what happens when a relay is destroyed. When the relays are destroyed again and they don't blow up an entire system, it should be explained why so it doesn't cause confusion.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I guess Colin didn't take too kindly to that Forbes article:

7FdlK.png

No. That's what corporate shills do, in order for them to be more efficient in the spreading of their message. Journalists report on what was said. They don't exist for you to able to "clarify" the stupid shit you said on record. I can see how he'd be confused on that point, considering where he works.

Omega

Banned

No. Because you destroying a mass relay killed over 300k Batarians and destroyed their whole system. It is it the sole reason as to why you are on Earth in the first place, and why you were relieved of your duties as a soldier.

Jarmel

Banned
Because it was exciting! To hell with logic!

Seriously, one could... *sigh* .. speculate that in the Destroy ending if EDI is integrated with the ship, it would damage it.

Of course, that doesn't help the other colors... ops... endings. And will also mean that the Normandy becomes part organic in the synthesis one.

So... best not to think about it.

However it doesn't just take the Normandy's systems offline and leave it dead in space. Instead you see the engines pretty much being ripped off the back of the ship.

Honestly the Normandy bit seems to built off the bad Destroy ending where Earth is destroyed and the space magic clearly has strong physical properties and wipes out all life on Earth. There it would make sense for Joker to run as well as for the Normandy to be hit as it is. The rest of the endings it really doesn't fit especially with Control/Synthesis.

FLEABttn

Banned
No. It's because that in the ME2 DLC Arrival the explosion of a Mass Relay cause the destruction of a whole system. The thing is that they explode too in the ME3 ending but maybe the space magic will prevent destruction or something.

Well, we do see the relays explode.

Here's my problem with the whole relay thing: We have been presented with what happens when a relay is destroyed. When the relays are destroyed again and they don't blow up an entire system, it should be explained why so it doesn't cause confusion.

No. Because you destroying a mass relay killed over 300k Batarians and destroyed their whole system. It is it the sole reason as to why you are on Earth in the first place, and why you were relieved of your duties as a soldier.

Yeah but a sample size of 1 doesn't a good scientific conclusion make.

If the first guy who ever ate a peanut died of anaphylactic shock, people might conclude that peanut consumption is deadly, nevermind that they witnessed an outlier.

RDreamer

Clearly.

And like I said earlier, even if you don't believe that the relays don't go supernova, you still have a huge problem of a whole bunch of people being stranded in the Sol system or any system. It's a galactic dark age.

And if the reapers got their way it would have been a bigger galactic dark age. And that dark age would have happened again and again and again.

I think it's kind of a neat idea that there are now so many races stranded in the Sol system. Now they have to live and cope in close quarters, and develop things in unity. And, again, it doesn't really mean the end of their races on their home worlds, too, since there are more than enough of each race on the home worlds to propagate and continue onward. I'm kind of curious about the long term ramifications of a galaxy like that, where races are separated for long periods of time. In the future of that galaxy earth probably becomes a key central hub, and probably an especially powerful one considering it will start out with a huge chunk of the military forces in the galaxy.

1 of 20 is a pretty decent sample size, especially in consideration of the consequences. And that it is basically what scientists who studied the relays predicted would happen.

And if the reapers got their way it would have been a bigger galactic dark age. And that dark age would have happened again and again and again.

I think it's kind of a neat idea that there are now so many races stranded in the Sol system. Now they have to live and cope in close quarters, and develop things in unity. And, again, it doesn't really mean the end of their races on their home worlds, too, since there are more than enough of each race on the home worlds to propagate and continue onward. I'm kind of curious about the long term ramifications of a galaxy like that, where races are separated for long periods of time. In the future of that galaxy earth probably becomes a key central hub, and probably an especially powerful one considering it will start out with a huge chunk of the military forces in the galaxy.

Nope. State of the Galaxy read the Something Awful post from a couple of days ago. Also, nobody knows how Mass Relays work. In all likelihood, barring Bioware hand waving, Galactic civilization will never again reach its current level.
Unity. LOL, yeah. Maybe if you mind raped them all into cyborgs. Otherwise the Krogan eat everybody.

It's all we have to go on. Like I said, if it didn't go supernova, then it should be explained why it doesn't. Until then, it comes off as a contradiction and people will rely on precedence.

FLEABttn

Banned
1 of 20 is a pretty decent sample size, especially in consideration of the consequences. And that it is basically what scientists who studied the relays predicted would happen.

It's all we have to go on. Like I said, if it didn't go supernova, then it should be explained why it doesn't. Until then, it comes off as a contradiction and people will rely on precedence.

We've had 19 in 20 explode in a different manner. It's not the only thing we have to go on.

Supernova moves the Mu relay.
Alpha relay blew up. Caused a super nova.
Citadel is a relay, it blew up. Didn't cause a supernova.
Charon relay blew up. Didn't cause a supernova.
Reapers in space blow up. Reapers on Earth fall down.Reapers just leave.
Everyone turns into cyborgs
Normandy was in the relay. Got damaged.
Shepard was on the Citadel. Wakes up on Earth, survived rentry in a destroyed citadel, injured, and helmetless.

Therefore, space magic.

Omega

Banned

If the first guy who ever ate a peanut died of anaphylactic shock, people might conclude that peanut consumption is deadly, nevermind that they witnessed an outlier.

Yeah that works except the fact that it's explained why such a supernova like explosion happens.

But yeah, feel free to support such retarded inconsistencies. I'll go back to being a entitled brat who just isn't high level enough to understand the ending.

Jarmel

Banned
We've had 19 in 20 explode in a different manner. It's not the only thing we have to go on.

Again not necessarily. The explosions at the end apparently have a physical component to it, strong enough to have an impact on a starship lightyears away from its origin point.

If the Normandy is in FTL, everybody on Earth and Earth itself should be destroyed. Straight up. It doesn't matter what ending you choose. The amount of energy is enough to fuck it up so far away then Earth is boned.

FLEABttn

Banned
Oh, you saw a scene where everybody was still alive after they blew up? I must have missed that.

You're right, I'm taking what the crucible said at face value.

But yeah, feel free to support such retarded inconsistencies. I'll go back to being a entitled brat who just isn't high level enough to understand the ending.

I've not said anything of the sort. I'm not particularly happy with the ending either, I'm just not sold at all that space magic is a plot hole or inconsistent or that suggesting such is entitlement.

embalm

I wrapped up the game last night. I am also firmly planted in the Indoctrinated camp.

Mass Effect has been consistent with all of it's lore and characters. That's one reason that I have enjoyed the series so much. Even Mass Effect 3 kept everything consistent. Everything was logical and progressive and then it just stopped making sense.

They built over 100 hours of great science fiction. Then lost their minds for the last 10 minutes? That makes no sense. Not when every single part of those last 10 minutes was constantly telling you that it was not reality.

I honestly don't think the ending was subtle, it was meant to be obvious. You as the player are supposed to realize that it's Indoctrination the second time you view it. Catching all the robot screams, the black tendrils, lack of options, the way the wound you gave Anderson transfers to you, the way the boy AI tries to push you to attempt to control the Reapers.

It's a game of connect the dots.

The problem is that it's still a shitty ending. That makes a nice lead in to the real ending, but leaving it there is complete crap.
When Sam and Frodo dropped that ring off at Sauron's place, the story didn't end there. It wrapped some things up. Explained a little more about what happened to the winners and the losers.

If it's a setup for DLC, I'm pissed.
If it's a cliff hanger for a sequel then I'm interested, I just with I knew it wasn't the final story.

Citadel is a relay, it blew up. Didn't cause a supernova.
Charon relay blew up. Didn't cause a supernova.
Reapers in space blow up. Reapers on Earth fall down.Reapers just leave.
Everyone turns into cyborgs
Normandy was in the relay. Got damaged.
Shepard was on the Citadel. Wakes up on Earth, survived rentry in a destroyed citadel, injured, and helmetless.

Therefore, space magic.

That all happens in "Epic ending anything goes, so long as stuff blows up as it happens" mode, it's a reverse feedback loop of positronic energy that creates an anti-logic light matter bubble sphere.

RDreamer

Especially when you consider that the catalyst to the destruction of the relay in Arrival and the one at the end are very different.

Digoman

However it doesn't just take the Normandy's systems offline and leave it dead in space. Instead you see the engines pretty much being ripped off the back of the ship.

Honestly the Normandy bit seems to built off the bad Destroy ending where Earth is destroyed and the space magic clearly has strong physical properties and wipes out all life on Earth. There it would make sense for Joker to run as well as for the Normandy to be hit as it is. The rest of the endings it really doesn't fit especially with Control/Synthesis.

If we are talking motivation for the nonsense of the Normandy scene... I'm going with this:

Because it needed to crash land, because they needed to show them on some unknown garden planet. Because it's backwards.

Basically, I believe Bioware wanted to set up the crash scene, and didn't care for it to make sense. They wanted the crew stranded. That makes more sense if the post-credit scene takes place on the same planet with their descendents (10 000 years later). The MMO scenario someone brought up would fit perfectly here, or maybe even a single-player game. You don't have to consider all the actions of the player, and can even make some simple nods for the original crew. Any inconsistencies can be chalk up to "it was so long ago".

I wrapped up the game last night. I am also firmly planted in the Indoctrinated camp.

I honestly don't think the ending was subtle, it was meant to be obvious. You as the player are supposed to realize that it's Indoctrination the second time you view it. Catching all the robot screams, the black tendrils, lack of options, the way the wound you gave Anderson transfers to you, the way the boy AI tries to push you to attempt to control the Reapers.

It's a game of connect the dots.

Dude, the indoc theory is bunk. Those black tendrils were TIM's "control mojo" according to Walters. You also have the fact that the ending was rushed and wasn't finalized until a couple of months before the game was released. Shepard was holding his side before the confrontation and the catalysts says that the synthesis option is preferred.

If it is a cliff-hanger, it's bullshit since this is supposed to be the end of the trilogy. If the indoc theory is true, then the main plot goes completely unresolved.

It's also hard to deduct how long all of ME3 would have taken in real time. My guess is minimum of 6 months going to a year. The reason I'm stating that long is because of the Crucible. The way they described the project would require extreme amounts of time even in ideal situations. Yes there are more available resources than any other project in history but it would still be an enormous undertaking as you can see from the scale when compared to other ships or even the Citadel itself. So let's go with 6 months of the Reapers able to do whatever they want.

I'm sure someone explicitly says it's months at the end of ME3 so you're probably about right there.

As for the colonies, they're up shit creek without a paddle. Illium almost certainly depends heavily on trade, Omega definitely does and Noveria obviously.

That should make any 'Retake Omega' DLC fun. Continue the legend of Shepard by sentencing Aria to death!

Again not necessarily. The explosions at the end apparently have a physical component to it, strong enough to have an impact on a starship lightyears away from its origin point.

If the Normandy is in FTL, everybody on Earth and Earth itself should be destroyed. Straight up. It doesn't matter what ending you choose. The amount of energy is enough to fuck it up so far away then Earth is boned.

My point for asking the question in the first place.

Also, why do War Assets change the effect of a relay explosion? It's so retarded.

McNum

On the whole crash landing of the Normandy, it is actually mentioned why the space magic could damage it in the Codex. It's not the space magic itself that does it, it's the Mass Relay suddenly ceasing to exist that does. The Normandy is traveling at Relay speed, then suddenly not. That there's even a Normandy left to crash land is thanks to Joker as that kind of deceleration is mentioned in the Codex as catastrophic.

But yeah, it still doesn't answer why Joker turned tail and ran.

Jarmel

Banned
On the whole crash landing of the Normandy, it is actually mentioned why the space magic could damage it in the Codex. It's not the space magic itself that does it, it's the Mass Relay suddenly ceasing to exist that does. The Normandy is traveling at Relay speed, then suddenly not. That there's even a Normandy left to crash land is thanks to Joker as that kind of deceleration is mentioned in the Codex as catastrophic.

But yeah, it still doesn't answer why Joker turned tail and ran.

However travel through the relays is instantaneous. There would be no chase scene as Joker would just pop out at one end.

However travel through the relays is instantaneous. There would be no chase scene as Joker would just pop out at one end.

Right. Joker/Normandy scene is the biggest offender in the entire ending I think. It makes any explanation for the relays... garbage. If they retcon this, they need to remove it or redo it.

Top Bottom