• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

bengraven

The lawsuit story has me both shaking my head and laughing all day.

Can we sue Peter Molyneux for all his promises for Fable 1-3?

tino

Banned
I actually thought the Soprano ending was genius. I finished watching it a few months back and there was a great analysis on the ending and all the minor details that it seems most people missed.

Edit:http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

I don't mean to derail this thread. BUt that is really lame. If David Chase want to end the story with the death of Tony Soprano, then he should go ahead and show it. This is classic case of "pussy out".

I don't need some long ass analyse to show me why the episode was edited in Tony's POV. So what, this show is not about Tony Sopranos's POV. There is no reason the show should end with Tony Sopranos's POV. There is no thematic reason not show the protagonist's death. Just go ahead and show it in slow motion.

We want to see the bullet exit and barrel and drill into Tony Sopranos's forehead. This article just remind me how lame that ending was. Fucking terrible. I spent a couple days on a thread shit on it too. Obviously not as long as I spent on Mass Effect's ending.

It's been years buy your link just reminded me how much I hated that ending and I got worked up again. Fucking lame.

aesop

If we are talking motivation for the nonsense of the Normandy scene... I'm going with this:

Basically, I believe Bioware wanted to set up the crash scene, and didn't care for it to make sense. They wanted the crew stranded. That makes more sense if the post-credit scene takes place on the same planet with their descendents (10 000 years later). The MMO scenario someone brought up would fit perfectly here, or maybe even a single-player game. You don't have to consider all the actions of the player, and can even make some simple nods for the original crew. Any inconsistencies can be chalk up to "it was so long ago".

As you're doing your last convos with all your squadmates before dashing off to the beam, you talk to Garrus. Garrus says that when it's all over he wants to retire somewhere tropical. The planet they crash land on is tropical. Maybe I'm reaching, but it seems to be another seed in Shep's mind that plays out during (in my opinion) his indoctrination induced hallucination. Thus explaining why Shep's best pals magically end up on a jungle planet.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Can someone explain this to me? Im talking to a friend about it and maybe theres something Im just not getting.

-TIM incorporated Reaper tech into his body so that he can use it to control the Reapers. This also allows him to control Shephard and Anderson.
-Why does he seem to have near-full control over them instead of the subtle indoctrination control that we've been seeing since ME1?
-While under TIMs control, how is Shepard still able to convince TIM to kill himself? In that scenario, why wouldnt TIM just make Shepard shut his mouth? Hes able to do anything else he wants but he just lets Shepard yap on until he realizes that he should kill himself instead?

Wanna know why? Cause Bioware sucks at writing. This is the simplest, most obvious answer. They make up shit as they go along.

In fact this is the answer to everything that seems like or is a contraction. There, I saved everyone from lots of speculation.

sTeLioSco

Banned
original.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I wrapped up the game last night. I am also firmly planted in the Indoctrinated camp.

Mass Effect has been consistent with all of it's lore and characters. That's one reason that I have enjoyed the series so much. Even Mass Effect 3 kept everything consistent. Everything was logical and progressive and then it just stopped making sense.

They built over 100 hours of great science fiction. Then lost their minds for the last 10 minutes? That makes no sense. Not when every single part of those last 10 minutes was constantly telling you that it was not reality.

I honestly don't think the ending was subtle, it was meant to be obvious. You as the player are supposed to realize that it's Indoctrination the second time you view it. Catching all the robot screams, the black tendrils, lack of options, the way the wound you gave Anderson transfers to you, the way the boy AI tries to push you to attempt to control the Reapers.

It's a game of connect the dots.

The problem is that it's still a shitty ending. That makes a nice lead in to the real ending, but leaving it there is complete crap.
When Sam and Frodo dropped that ring off at Sauron's place, the story didn't end there. It wrapped some things up. Explained a little more about what happened to the winners and the losers.

If it's a setup for DLC, I'm pissed.
If it's a cliff hanger for a sequel then I'm interested, I just with I knew it wasn't the final story.

It really hasnt but it never went this far off the deep end.

Here's how I would have done the Normandy ending:

The Crucible fires its space magic beam at the Charon relay. The beam begins to travel towards the relay at the speed of light. During the Citadel/Crucible sequence, or just after the beam is fired, your squad goes back up to the Normandy. The ins and outs of it may be slightly bullshitty but let's just hope people go for it. There's now a big space magic beam heading for the nearest mass relay, and Joker intuits that something is wrong - or maybe the sensors pick something up. Anyhoo, your crew is operating under assumption that soon the mass relays will be fucked - in a few hours (the time it takes light to reach the Charon relay) the whole system is going down. Joker and the human members of the crew rather nobly decide to help your non-human squad members race home before the relays shut, taking the risk of being stuck in some random part of the galaxy if they don't get back to Earth in time. I suppose if you're going down this route, the fleet might decide to hightail it out of there too. Anyhoo, you take everyone back home and maybe have a little goodbye scene for each character as they're flung out in escape pods or whatever. All the aliens are home and now it's time for the humans to get back. But, oh no! They're too late and get stuck on a jungle planet. Ending continues pretty much as before, but with only human characters.

Anyhoo, I'm sure there are loads of holes to pick in that but I think it would have been a better general framework to work from.

rozay

Banned
Playing through the ex-Cerberus Scientists mission and apparently you can get Dr. Archer to commit suicide if you don't tell him his brother is safe hahaha

Playing through the ex-Cerberus Scientists mission and apparently you can get Dr. Archer to commit suicide if you don't tell him his brother is safe hahaha

Oh man that's a real downer. If you send his brother with him do you unlock a weapon cache in that level instead?

Wanna know why? Cause Bioware sucks at writing. This is the simplest, most obvious answer. They make up shit as they go along.

In fact this is the answer to everything that seems like or is a contraction. There, I saved everyone from lots of speculation.
This has been a great exercise about Occam's Razor. Every inconsistency, every plot hole can be attributed to the incompetence of Bioware.

Kabouter

Here's how I would have done the Normandy ending:

The Crucible fires its space magic beam at the Charon relay. The beam begins to travel towards the relay at the speed of light. During the Citadel/Crucible sequence, or just after the beam is fired, your squad goes back up to the Normandy. The ins and outs of it may be slightly bullshitty but let's just hope people go for it. There's now a big space magic beam heading for the nearest mass relay, and Joker intuits that something is wrong - or maybe the sensors pick something up. Anyhoo, your crew is operating under assumption that soon the mass relays will be fucked - in a few hours (the time it takes light to reach the Charon relay) the whole system is going down. Joker and the human members of the crew rather nobly decide to help your non-human squad members race home before the relays shut, taking the risk of being stuck in some random part of the galaxy if they don't get back to Earth in time. I suppose if you're going down this route, the fleet might decide to hightail it out of there too. Anyhoo, you take everyone back home and maybe have a little goodbye scene for each character as they're flung out in escape pods or whatever. All the aliens are home and now it's time for the humans to get back. But, oh no! They're too late and get stuck on a jungle planet. Ending continues pretty much as before, but with only human characters.

Anyhoo, I'm sure there are loads of holes to pick in that but I think it would have been a better general framework to work from.

Why would a ship crewed almost entirely by humans race to drop off three alien members of its crew with homeworlds to go back to (Garrus, Tali, Liara unless I'm forgetting anyone), stranding everyone else in the process?

Orcastar

Finally finished it.

At first I was kinda okay with the ending. I mean it's space opera, you're supposed to take it to a whole new level at the end and reveal that there was some kind of grand design behind it all. And it's some kind of ghostly god-child thing telling you all this? I can dig it!

So yeah, three choices? OK, they all seem kinda crappy. Let's go for the green one, I bet it'll basically kill everyone and the final shot will be of a hybrid flower or something blooming in the middle of the rubble. Oh, it's actually a ball of green magic that instantly turns absolutely everyone into organic/synthetic hybrids. What? Really?

When the credits started rolling, I was still thinking that it wasn't THAT bad, but the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to agree that it was actually pretty bad. And reading some of the gripes people have with it, yeah, some of them are really good points. I still think much of the rage comes off as entitled whining, but I can certainly see why players are upset.

Oh well, the series was still a great ride even if the final stretch was a letdown. I guess I can go back to Skyrim now.

Finally finished it.

At first I was kinda okay with the ending. I mean it's space opera, you're supposed to take it to a whole new level at the end and reveal that there was some kind of grand design behind it all. And it's some kind of ghostly god-child thing telling you all this? I can dig it!

So yeah, three choices? OK, they all seem kinda crappy. Let's go for the green one, I bet it'll basically kill everyone and the final shot will be of a hybrid flower or something blooming in the middle of the rubble. Oh, it's actually a ball of green magic that instantly turns absolutely everyone into organic/synthetic hybrids. What? Really?

When the credits started rolling, I was still thinking that it wasn't THAT bad, but the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to agree that it was actually pretty bad. And reading some of the gripes people have with it, yeah, some of them are really good points. I still think much of the rage comes off as entitled whining, but I can certainly see why players are upset.

Oh well, the series was still a great ride even if the final stretch was a letdown. I guess I can go back to Skyrim now.
Welcome. Why do you think the rage comes off as entitled?

Man, this game is pretty packed and amazing (before the ending). So many subtle differences throughout the whole thing. I never realized Miranda/Grunt could die. It's insane how much shit Bioware took into account in this game, definitely the greatest accomplishment in gaming history. It makes the ending seem even more out of place though... You can have like 4-5 different outcomes w/ the Salarian Ambassador scene, yet every end scene is the same.

- J - D -

Question: In the "Destroy" ending, if Shepard uses the Crucible to destroy the Reapers with the side effect of destroying all synthetic life, how then is he still alive at the end? The Catalyst Kid clearly says that Shepard himself was rebuilt in large part with synthetic tech, no? The other endings show him burn away into a Husk form, complete with eyes and everything. (I'm not going to get into how he ended up on Earth).

Question: In the "Destroy" ending, if Shepard uses the Crucible to destroy the Reapers with the side effect of destroying all synthetic life, how then is he still alive at the end? The Catalyst Kid clearly says that Shepard himself was rebuilt in large part with synthetic tech, no? The other endings show him burn away into a Husk form, complete with eyes and everything. (I'm not going to get into how he ended up on Earth).

Catalyst was full of shit.

Speculation.

MESSAGE RECEIVED:

"Dear Commander Shepard,

It is with great regret that I learned of your decision to cure the genophage on Tuchanka. Yada yada yada. It also saddened me to hear that one of our own scientists sacrificed himself following your orders. Yada yada yada.

I hope you are prepared to deal with the aftermath, Commander. This is a dark day for the salarian Union, and all of the galaxy.

- Dalatrass Linron"

RESPONSE SENT:

"Well, fuck you, you stuck-up bitch."

The Reaper indoctrination theory is the answer. And I can't believe people are still against it, it's so obvious. And the entire ending was more of a test, to see if you can be controlled like TIM. If you choose Blue/Green you are giving into the reapers, being controlled. If you however choose Red, you are actively dismissing their claims and breaking the indoctrination, waking up back on earth -- right along side that reaper that was right next to you.

tino

Banned
Finally finished it.

It usually takes 1 to 2 days for the awfulness to sink in.

MESSAGE RECEIVED:

"Dear Commander Shepard,

It is with great regret that I learned of your decision to cure the genophage on Tuchanka. Yada yada yada. It also saddened me to hear that one of our own scientists sacrificed himself following your orders. Yada yada yada.

I hope you are prepared to deal with the aftermath, Commander. This is a dark day for the salarian Union, and all of the galaxy.

- Dalatrass Linron"

RESPONSE SENT:

"Well, fuck you, you stuck-up bitch."

ACTION TAKEN:

Shepard causes the all of the relays to go supernova

Fixed

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I know we are probably in the minority but are there any others that didn't think the game was that great prior to the ending. Here are my issues with the game

-Face import-way to crap on loyal fans

Cerberus-too much Cerberus made the Reapers take a back seat in the main story. Not to mention, how do you have so much Cerberus overload with hardly any Illusive Man!?

-Scanning-still atrocious

-side quests-not interesting at all..most fetch quests that I'm currently igonoring.

-Lack of RPG elements-I still hate the leftover points..still hate the armor customization and still hate the gun customization. The Rpg elements were still way too streamlined. I wanted a cleaner ME inventory..nothing less

-Lack of Reaper interaction
-No Harbinger
-Terrible character additions:the characters weren't really bad but they didnt make sense to the main story besides Javik
-Javik as DLC.. HUGE mistake or money grabbing ploy. I'm surprised more aren't upset by it

-ME2 irrelevance: So all that time I spent making saves was for nothing. Bioware couldn't even give Miranda new gear? I have to assume she was one of the most popular LI's for male Shepards in ME2 and that is the treatment we get?

-No way to tell where you stand with a LI in ME3. So that means I have to start over just because of unclear dialogue choices? I feel I screwed up just by sticking with Miranda when the clear better LI is Liara or even Ash. So that is 50 hours down the drain. I guess that is what youtube is for.

If this was truly the last game in the series, why couldn't there have been a fail safe to recover a lost relationship?Especially when you pick a LI like Thane, or Jacob and find out you get the shortest scenes ever. So that means another 50 hours down the drain because you can't "sex" any one else. Weak....

-Tali cop out-She was never my LI but WOW Bioware...WOW.. no more words for that

-No Krogan squad member-inexcusable

-Blantant marketing lies-"multi-player not needed for the best ending"

-squad member AI: I felt I was solo in most battles

-LIttle Aria interaction:again you choose to add characters like Vega instead of fleshing out a great character like her. She would have been a great squadmember.

-Citadel being the only hub-world.
-Citadel becoming boring because of the fetch quests

-The horrible final mission. Horrible horrible horrible. Banshees and Brutes, Banshees and Brutes...

-Inconsistent reaper vulnerability: How do you paint the reapers as being virtually impossible to kill most of the series yet they can be killed by a thresher maw, a good shot to the eye or a missle. Ok so why send a whole fleet to battle reapers in space when you can just fight them on the ground with laser pointers and well placed air strikes? Doesn't seem like an entire galactic fleet is needed for that.

That's all I have for now off the top of my head. I would rate ME3 a 6/10. Such a low point in the series and this is without the ending being factored in the score. I bought the collector's edition to ME2 and 3, day one and felt like I was robbed. I think most of mine and most fan's anger is because of all the time we invested into these games now seems like a waste. So I have to admit, this is my last Bioware game for a while but more than likely ever. I dealt with all their buggy, mediocre games that had moments of greatness for too long. Time to give my money to a more consistent developer. ME3 was just the straw that ...you know how it goes.
I was going to reply to this a few pages back, but I had to leave.

I agree with everything you stated. The ME1 import bug is ridiculous, and it will be a while before the patch gets reviewed and accepted.

I think that they decided to merge Cerberus with the Reapers in order to make fights easier. They used Cerberus husks instead of real husks, and we just focused on them.

They made scanning less tedious than before, but I still would have liked to explore worlds and land on planets. Even ME2 had linear maps in random planets.

Along with that, it would have made fetch quests a bit more interesting than sending a probe.

I won't criticize the lack of RPG elements simply because those were severely cut in the previous title. BW tried to bring some aspects back, but it's clear that such elements are not BW's focus, especially considering the story and action modes available. I knew we weren't going to get back to RPG basics, so I wasn't expecting anything to improve on that end.

We face a few Reapers, but Harbinger's absence is the most obvious. They completely stranded most of the Reaper subplots in ME2 since they decided not to go with their dark energy plot, I assume.

I completely agree with the fact that Vega was far from fleshed out. He was nothing more than a caricature of the bro, although he wasn't even much of one. He was a decent person, I suppose, but we never got to know him.

I also think that Javik should have been a full character without DLC. I think the first-day DLC has created some negative press for BW, but I'm sure the ending has surpassed it.

They obviously wanted to focus on ME1's characters, because if they didn't die in ME2, its characters had a good chance of getting killed off in this game. :p

I would have loved to recruit them back to the Normandy, but they just became war assets. :\

As for the LI stuff, I don't know. It never mattered to me since I never had a true LI. And the point wasn't to sex them as much as to get the character better. But I guess most people just want to bang.

Tali's shop is poorly done and it shows. I don't know who thought of the idea.

I would have liked more party member options, and I always liked micro managing so the AI didn't bother me. However, there were times when I couldn't select anything from the menu. I don't know if that was a bug or not, but it happened often.

Aria was most definitely a shell of her former self. :/

I also felt that the Citadel was overused, and that there should have either been more to it, or another hub or two. Everyone mailed you to visit them on the Citadel. I wish there were other places to go. "Hey, meet me on the Citadel when you have the time!" . . . Yeah, where else am I going to go? The galaxy felt very empty.

I also didn't like the Earth mission, the monochromatic palette, the enemy waves, the wait to press a button, it was tedious and not very fun.

I think it was explained that there are different types of Reapers, and we probably only faced the smaller ones. There are some that are supposed to be two kilometers tall. Javik also explained that it took three centuries before the Reapers completely wiped the Protheans. Someone here mentioned that Liara estimated the current cycle to last only one. The Reapers aren't the force we imagined from ME.

However, with all its flaws, I wouldn't rate the game so low. Even with the awkward end, I'd still give it a solid 8 or 9. I know I'm disregarding a lot, but the good -- at least the parts that I enjoyed -- were very worth it and felt rewarding.

New theory!

CapnBry said:
Wait actually, doesn't ME3's ending copy the Zero Wing intro? (Is posting this a bannable offense?)

In A.D. 2185 War was ending...
Anderson: What happen?
Sheppard: Someone set up us the Crucible.
Illusive Man: How are you gentleman? All your race are belong to us. You are on the way to destruction.
Sheppard: What you say?
Illusive Man: You have no chance to survive, indoctrination time. Ha ha ha.
Anderson: Commander!

I mean the Illusive Man even looks like CATS
aC0CQ.jpg

hateradio

The Reaper indoctrination theory is the answer. And I can't believe people are still against it, it's so obvious. And the entire ending was more of a test, to see if you can be controlled like TIM. If you choose Blue/Green you are giving into the reapers, being controlled. If you however choose Red, you are actively dismissing their claims and breaking the indoctrination, waking up back on earth -- right along side that reaper that was right next to you.
I'm neutral in regards to the end. But I start hating it when when people talk like this. Damn indoctrination. Damn it to hell. Don't you believe in the magic of Space Jesus? Don't you believe in his will to survive anything! He destroyed the Reapers and all you want is for his choice to become invalidated. Not cool. Space Magic(TM) is real! Why can't you just accept that.

MC Safety

The lawsuit story has me both shaking my head and laughing all day.

Can we sue Peter Molyneux for all his promises for Fable 1-3?

Game fans never really grasped the concept of in-game features as elements that may be removed at the developers' discretion.

The best and worst thing Microsoft ever did was stop Peter Molyneux from talking about his games because video game fans are stupid.

Wonder this as well. The whiny, entitled gamer can get annoying somethings, I agree. That said, there's a huge difference between gamer rage occuring over something like "Hey, there's no space dragons in this game!" and rage occuring over broken promises from the devs assuring us that the game would have 16 different endings and take all of our actions into acount. It didn't.

hateradio

Wonder this as well. The whiny, entitled gamer can get annoying somethings, I agree. That said, there's a huge difference between gamer rage occuring over something like "Hey, there's no space dragons in this game!" and rage occuring over broken promises from the devs assuring us that the game would have 16 different endings and take all of our actions into acount. It didn't.
But it did, ME3 is a study in nuance. 16 different endings all slightly different than the last.

Dresden

That said, there's a huge difference between gamer rage occuring over something like "Hey, there's no space dragons in this game!" and rage occuring over broken promises from the devs assuring us that the game would have 16 different endings and take all of our actions into acount. It didn't.

Anyone familiar with Bioware's past games knew going in that it was bullshit. The problem wasn't that it didn't have 16 endings or whatever, the problem was that the few endings we got were shit.

The game could have two endings with little differences ala ME2 and people would've been happy had it been a better product.

Zomba13

Seems we are entitled because we believed that Bioware would include some of the elements that they promised in pre-release interviews. I mean, of course we are, we shouldn't expect developers to tell the truth about their product and expect what they say is going to be in it to actually be in it.

mr. puppy

Banned
has this been talked about?

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...-writer-allegedly-slams-controversial-ending/

BioWare writer Patrick Weekes is well known on the Penny Arcade forums as user Takyris. Earlier, that account allegedly posted a fairly damning diatribe about Mass Effect 3's controversial ending. In it, the author claims that the game's finale was written by Casey Hudson and lead writer Mac Walters without any input from the rest of the team, and many protests from the other writers were ultimately ignored.

Now, the reason I've been throwing around the word allegedly like it's nothing is because the entire story has become very muddled by recent events. The original post has since been deleted, and several other posts on the Penny Arcade forums quoting the post have been edited to remove the text, ostensibly because the author asked that he not be quoted.

In addition, BioWare's community coordinator Chris Priestly has said that after contacting Weekes about the matter, he's decided it's nothing more than an imitation.

Dresden

Missing on purpose was a dick move. Didn't like how patronizing it was to Garrus Brokarian. The game should have Garrus beat you for real.

Finished it. didn't think it was terrible, didn't think it was great. Is my FemShep alive or dead? Why did only two people and Joker step out of the normandy, and what determined who those two people were?

rdrr gnr

Wow, Forbes is fucking delivering. It hilarious how anything concerning written discourse and video games is so terrible when compared against anything else more legitimate. It takes a writer for a non-gaming site to cut through the bullshit. Amazing.

Colin does not have to capacity to think logically. Not to hurl around personal attacks, but iirc, he is one of those tea-party, Rush-listening, staunchly anti-Obama guys. He has said some ABSURD things regarding politics and popular culture in the Beyond podcast.

Orcastar

Because I don't think Bioware owes me anything. If they want tack on a crappy ending on their otherwise excellent trilogy, then I think they should have the right to do so. If they want to alienate their fans by not living up to their promises, then they should be allowed to do so and face the consequences.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people should just shut up and accept it. It's fine to criticize and offer feedback and tell them their ending sucked and that you expected more from them. But demanding that they change it and talking about lawsuits? That's crossing the line in my book.

That being said, I'm kinda impressed that all the rage has apparently had an actual effect on Bioware in that they're planning on changing the ending.
Assuming this wasn't their plan all along...

Finished it. didn't think it was terrible, didn't think it was great. Is my FemShep alive or dead? Why did only two people and Joker step out of the normandy, and what determined who those two people were?

Did you see the other endings? If not, just change the tint on your TV.

Maybe she's dead. And to answer your second question fuck if we know.

Top Bottom