• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I had no problem with anything in the Earth sequence. In fact, I loved the shit out of it, in all its over scripted generic glory.

Digoman

I would like to know more as to why they are so angry about this issue. Are they bitter they didn't get to write about how the terrible ending was and are now trying to save face? Are they afraid to suffer the might of EA and lose their precious review codes? Why else could they be so angry and outraged about this.

The "circle the wagons" mentality that the gaming media has adopted here is almost worth the ending of the game. What the hell is happening? It's obvious by now that, minority or not, this is not a small issue, but these articles spend 90% time offending part of their target audience.

Let's forget for a moment the crazyness that almost none of the reviews mention the controversial ending, the "damage control" could be done a lot better. It's perfect possible to defend the position to not change the endings (and please EA) in a reasonable way. But it's always "end of gaming" this, "artistic integrity" that, and even outright lies. As you said, Fallout 3 already changed it's ending because of fan pressure, and heck, Prince of Persia 2008 did it as cash-grab. Neither doomed games as we know it.

The level of incompetence is really something to behold, and let's just say my opinion about these "journalists" wasn't that high before this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I sense some slight sarcasm Captain.

No really, I liked it. I mean, there's a lot of shit I'd have done differently. The random turret battle at the checkpoint was silly. And, most importantly, I'd have loved to see more dynamics and interactivity based on your accumulated war assets. That would be my big change.

But otherwise I legitimately enjoyed it. It was generic, sloshy over scripted shooting, but I like the shooting in Mass Effect more than I should, so yay.

I thought the opening sequence was mostly ok. It would've been much better to have a real trial for shep interrupted by the reapers, which would've given us some better dialog than the eyerollingly awful lines we got, but running through the wreckage with Anderson was pretty cool

Vamphuntr

I had no problem with anything in the Earth sequence. In fact, I loved the shit out of it, in all its over scripted generic glory.

I loved the atmosphere and the conversations with the squadmates/previous squadmates via the communicator. I think they did really nail the atmosphere of a battlefield in which you are getting obliterated and are about to lose. What I didn't like is how I never saw any other troops on the way to the end. I'm supposed to have a Rachni queen, Geth troopers, human soldiers, Krogan Warriors, Asari Soldiers and Turians and you see no one on the battlefield except *one* Mako.

Moreover they did not even design unique monsters for the final area of the game. You simply fight waves and waves of the same enemies you met multiple times already. Not even a boss or anything. It felt anticlimatic.

Yea the Vancouver bit is a little wtf but I gave them that as the developers are Canadian. In reality it would probably be either Beijing/Shanghai or NYC.

Just be thankful though it wasn't a city in the States.

No, I dig that, I also like to think that as far as the Alliance's generic North American space culture goes, they're Canadian more than the space Americans we see in other space opera settings. You know, like in all of the other space games that feature "ooh-rah!" space marines. Guess USMC tradition really does last centuries. In comparison, the Systems Alliance seems pretty mellow, even hesitant, in terms of all of the diplomacy and meetings they conduct. And while Shepard is supposed to be an awesome warrior, his job description is actually peacekeeper, which appears to be a very Canadian thing.

But yeah, having London being the only other Earth city you go to is just so lame. Even Halo had New Mombasa.

J-Rod

BioWare knows that hiring me to write the revised ending would fix all their problems, they're just afraid. Afraid of what I will do. They're not sure the world is ready for my EDI fan fiction becoming a reality.

I cock blocked Joker because I thought I might have a chance :/

The options were so bad though that a real doll with ios 100.1 and a ridiculously over pronounced camel toe was starting to sound good.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
BioWare knows that hiring me to write the revised ending would fix all their problems, they're just afraid. Afraid of what I will do. They're not sure the world is ready for my EDI fan fiction becoming a reality.

Does it involve Joker and EDI in bed?
I don't mean her sexbot body... I mean her real body. Joker seems like he'd be into that.

.GqueB.

Banned
If you are adept, anyone with overload and armor piercing rounds is very useful. Give him plus sniper damage and a high powered rifle and he one shots things on insanity.

Hmmm... interesting.

I think I should've also been more active in what weapons I told them to use. I was all over the powers though.

I think we knew Anderson was from England since the first game.

If so...I had forgotten.

I actually liked the combat sequences once I got back to earth as well. I was playing on Insanity and although I had my rhythm down at that time, fighting six brutes, a harvester and some banshees was pretty fucking crazy.

I just would have liked to see more cameos.

Major Kirrahe and his Salarians.
Zaeed
Some Blue Suns or Blood...Guys?

Just...fucking...you know, anyone that I invested time in because it's supposed to be this epic battle and my choices matter right? Don't they?

Anderson's English friend, pops in the London mission then just sort of disappears.

He was the guy from the announcement trailer, had to make a reference to that for some reason.

They could have given us Shanghai or New Delhi or Rio or at least Tokyo but nope, gotta maintain a sense of familiarity for Western gamers even though the capital city of Earth is Vancouver

Wasn't the opening in Vancouver? Or did I imagine that?

Goddam, there's such a vocal group of people that are against those that were upset about the ending/wanted it addressed. And they talk about us like we are a bunch of school children upset about the end of Lion King and wanted Simba's dad to never have died in the beginning. And my god, if I hear the dumbass 'logic' of, "ITS LIKE IF DAVINCI HAD TO FIX MONA LISA'S SMILE BECAUSE IT MADE PEOPLE SAD!", I'll eat a baby.

It's like they feel that those upset/want change or those that are too simple minded to grasp the understanding of art or this is our first interaction with entertainment.

Why are people arguing for the artistic integrity of Casey Hudson and Mac Walters when the personal integrity of the "artists" in question has already been compromised by their own lies and fabrications regarding their plans? Its absolutely mind boggling to think that anyone could defend Mac Walters and Casey Hudson when both of them have outright lied multiple times to their own fanbase and everyone who read their interviews.

Jarmel

Banned
No, I dig that, I also like to think that as far as the Alliance's generic North American space culture goes, they're Canadian more than the space Americans we see in other space opera settings. You know, like in all of the other space games that feature "ooh-rah!" space marines. Guess USMC tradition really does last centuries. In comparison, the Systems Alliance seems pretty mellow, even hesitant, in terms of all of the diplomacy and meetings they conduct. And while Shepard is supposed to be an awesome warrior, his job description is actually peacekeeper, which appears to be a very Canadian thing.

But yeah, having London being the only other Earth city you go to is just so lame. Even Halo had New Mombasa.

You can chalk that up to another missed opportunity for the ME franchise. Note how in three fucking games we never got one true Zero-G sequence even though the game primarily takes place in space. It makes you realize how hard actually making a true space game is and why I trust very few developers to do it right.

The only developers that might do justice to a true science fiction game would be Naughty Dog or Rockstar. That's it. Bethesda might get the scale right but I don't think they could capture the atmosphere or the alien cultures quite so much.

Jasoneyu

This got me:

“There are many different endings. We wouldn’t do it any other way. How
could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and
then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets? But I can’t
say any more than that…”

Interview with Mike Gamble (Associate Producer)

This is EXACTLY what we got!

Hartt951

This got me:

This is EXACTLY what we got!

My favorite is the quote where they say they would never force the players into an ending where you pick between A, B, or C. And then they give us an ending where we pick between red, green, and blue.

It's so confusing to me, how can they be so incompetent!?

My favorite is the quote where they say they would never force the players into an ending where you pick between A, B, or C. And then they give us an ending where we pick between red, green, and blue.

It's so confusing to me, how can they be so incompetent!?

I hope this shows why people are demanding that they change the endings and making FTC complaints. The creators said we would get something, but they didn't deliver on that promise. What they have been saying are outright lies

Omega

Banned

That guy needs to add the From Ashes comment Casey made.

"Javik has no significance to the story so whether you have the DLC or not, it won't make an impact. We want this to be more focused on the Reapers and not the Protheans"

Not word for word, but the basis of his statement.

1) The game focuses more on Protheans than Reapers I think. The Mars mission and the Thessia mission.

2) Reapers really aren't even a big deal in this game. Yeah they're destroying planets but it didn't feel like it was the main theme of the game. You spend the the first half of the game trying to get an alliance with the Salarians, Krogans and Turians. Second half of the game is with the Quarians/Geth.

The theme of Mass Effect 3 seems to be that Shepard is Space Jesus and can do everything.

..except question Space Child

Patryn

That guy needs to add the From Ashes comment Casey made.

"Javik has no significance to the story so whether you have the DLC or not, it won't make an impact. We want this to be more focused on the Reapers and not the Protheans"

Not word for word, but the basis of his statement.

1) The game focuses more on Protheans than Reapers I think. The Mars mission and the Thessia mission.

2) Reapers really aren't even a big deal in this game. Yeah they're destroying planets but it didn't feel like it was the main theme of the game. You spend the the first half of the game trying to get an alliance with the Salarians, Krogans and Turians. Second half of the game is with the Quarians/Geth.

The theme of Mass Effect 3 seems to be that Shepard is Space Jesus and can do everything.

..except question Space Child

Oh, the Reapers were definitely downplayed in this game for whatever reason. Ironically, they felt like less of a threat in this game than either of the previous two.

They're glorified window dressing.

Dresden

Developers over-promise and under-deliver all the time, and this is Bioware.

Still think people shouldn't be so hung up by all the pre-release stuff, and focus on just how awful the ending is.

Jarmel

Banned
I hope this shows why people are demanding that they change the endings and making FTC complaints. The creators said we would get something, but they didn't deliver on that promise. What they have been saying are outright lies

Fable.

BlogMolyneuxLies2.jpg

Oh that's what I was saying

Oh, did you think I was defending the lipstick and breasts dude? My point was that they already made a comic that shits all over his point.
lol Shepard is a partly defined character. He/she has to care about Earth. Its part of the script.

Yeah, Shep caring about earth never felt out of character. Expecting the audience to care about earth just because commercials tell us to, on the other hand, is where they failed with it.

Shep and Vent Kid was totally OOC though; even for paragons.

Galactic Fork

Oh, the Reapers were definitely downplayed in this game for whatever reason. Ironically, they felt like less of a threat in this game than either of the previous two.

I was annoyed the game seemed more about Cerberus than the Reapers. The Reapers weren't enough?? And with Cerberus being total dicks through the game, none of the other races were bitter that it was humans that attacked the Citadel. And the human councilor trying to overthrow the Citadel government.

Oh, did you think I was defending the lipstick and breasts dude? My point was that they already made a comic that shits all over his point.
Yeah. My bad.

Yeah, Shep caring about earth never felt out of character. Expecting the audience to care about earth just because commercials tell us to, on the other hand, is where they failed with it.

Yeah, I can expect Shep to care about Earth, but we have no reason to other than that we all currently live on Earth. If we were able to visit Earth in previous games, then it would help build up that world

Whatever.

They totally make that super loud HONK and chase your space ship around the map!

...as each hour passes after having completed the game I am more and more certain that Mass Effect 3 was a complete and utter rush-job.

rozay

Banned
Whatever.

They totally make that super loud HONK and chase your space ship around the map!

...as each hour passes after having completed the game I am more and more certain that Mass Effect 3 was a complete and utter rush-job.

Can you imagine how much worse it would've been if EA made them stick to the winter 2011 release date? Thank god for BF3!

Shep and Vent Kid was totally OOC though; even for paragons.

My Shep couldn't give a fuck. He was a colonist from Mindoir AND renegade. He didn't want the Reapers reaping the galaxy/universe.

Earth? Who cares?

Infact...out of the three origins available, only one-third of the origin choices really puts you in a position to be super-passionate about earth.

Even other human characters you come across are like, "Yeah...well...I wasn't born on Earth." *silence* "Oh but yeah...that's real bad about earth. Terrible stuff."

That ones that do have ties to earth aren't exactly devastated either.

Galactic Fork

My Shep couldn't give a fuck. He was a colonist from Mindoir AND renegade. He didn't want the Reapers reaping the galaxy/universe.

Earth? Who cares?

Infact...out of the three origins available, only one-third of the origin choices really puts you in a position to be super-passionate about earth.

Even other human characters you come across are like, "Yeah...well...I wasn't born on Earth." *silence* "Oh but yeah...that's real bad about earth. Terrible stuff."

That ones that do have ties to earth aren't exactly devastated either.

Plus Shepard's life on earth was pretty crap, he\she probably wouldn't mind it being blasted away.

Top Bottom