• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

pakkit

Banned
The theme of Mass Effect 3 seems to be that Shepard is Space Jesus and can do everything.

..except question Space Child

This is dangerous territory. Games are open to interpretation for everyone, and once you try boiling down a game to its core fundamentals you'll find that no one (developers, publishers, and fans) will agree. For examples, trudge into any Zelda or Silent Hill thread.

Hartt951

I've but wanting to ask this, but I just remembered, so here it is. Any of you with a BSN account think you might know the answer to this?

I wanted to post on their forums and join the resistance so to speak, on their forums and I tried to sign in with my account that is connected to my xbox, but I forgot the password, so I requested it, however it sent it to an email address that doesn't exist and hasn't existed for a good 4 years. I then made an account with my email I have now, but I can't seem to link my gamertag to it to post on the forums, since you cannot post unless you have the game linked.

Anyone else have this problem/know what to do?

Plus Shepard's life on earth was pretty crap, he\she probably wouldn't mind it being blasted away.

Well...maybe not "Who cares?"

It would be nice to think that the player-base is capable of investing emotionally in the defense of a planet without it having to be Earth.

Clearly Bioware doesn't have much faith in it's player-base.

Developers over-promise and under-deliver all the time, and this is Bioware.

Still think people shouldn't be so hung up by all the pre-release stuff, and focus on just how awful the ending is.
Exaggeration and half-truths are to be expected when shilling one's product. I draw the line at outright lies and, honestly, Bioware already passed that threshold with DA2.

Dmzek.jpg

oh8pU.jpg

I love game journalist. They were all like, "10/10! This game is perfect, nothing is wrong and the ending is satisfying!!!" and people responded, "Oh. But all these non journalists are saying the ending is bad... I think I'll believe them." "NO! They are dumb! And entitled babies! IM THE ONLY VOICE YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO! Im super smart! I get paid to say my opinion!".

They are all so upset that we aren't going to them for their opinion on the matter...

You can chalk that up to another missed opportunity for the ME franchise. Note how in three fucking games we never got one true Zero-G sequence even though the game primarily takes place in space. It makes you realize how hard actually making a true space game is and why I trust very few developers to do it right.

Missed opportunity pretty much sums up the entirety of the last two games. They could've delivered a truly epic sci-fi RPG experience but they blew it railroading you through themed shooting galleries so outlets like IGN could give it 9s and 10s.

Missed opportunity pretty much sums up the entirety of the last two games. They could've delivered a truly epic sci-fi RPG experience but they blew it railroading you through themed shooting galleries so outlets like IGN could give it 9s and 10s.

No space SRPG battles either... man this franchise needs some good spin off's, reuse assets and cater to a more niche audience.

Kabouter

It blows my mind that it is as old now as Super Mario Bros. 3 was when B&W came out. Fuck.

Okay, now I feel ancient. Thanks.
Funny story, I remember trying to buy Black & White at the nearest gameshop, but them telling me they weren't going to sell it because it featured "false gods". Had to go to a shop in a nearby city to buy it.

Patryn

Whatever.

They totally make that super loud HONK and chase your space ship around the map!

...as each hour passes after having completed the game I am more and more certain that Mass Effect 3 was a complete and utter rush-job.

Oh, I don't believe it was a total rush-job.

I just think the writers felt they were in over their head, and they had no idea how to make the large-scale threat of the Reapers work on a smaller TPS-scale. Hence the scarcity of actual fights with a Reaper.

It's far easier to script a fight with Cerberus, which scales nicely, than one with the Reapers.

The obvious answer would have been to create a spokesperson for the Reapers, and they certainly would have set that up with the previous game and "Assuming Direct Control", but for whatever reason they decided not to go in that direction.

I still like the game a lot, but I do think there were some weird decision made early on in the process.

I'm getting sick of the Indoctrination theory. Some people are now defending the ending because they think it's so "thought-provoking" and "daring".

I call it "Mac Walters got drunk and started writing".

Oh, I don't believe it was a total rush-job.

I just think the writers felt they were in over their head, and they had no idea how to make the large-scale threat of the Reapers work on a smaller TPS-scale. Hence the scarcity of actual fights with a Reaper.

It's far easier to script a fight with Cerberus, which scales nicely, than one with the Reapers.

The obvious answer would have been to create a spokesperson for the Reapers, and they certainly would have set that up with the previous game and "Assuming Direct Control", but for whatever reason they decided not to go in that direction.

I still like the game a lot, but I do think there were some weird decision made early on in the process.

It does become awkward as you approach the end of the game and you realize you've fought about 70% Cerberus, 5% Geth and only about 25% Reapers along the way in a game that is supposed to be primarily about the Reaper threat.

Even the mission to Sanctuary where there are supposed to be Reapers attacking, you wind up fighting Cerberus who should be like damn its Shepard, that guy who knows about killing Reapers, lets team up with him now.

I'm getting sick of the Indoctrination theory. Some people are now defending the ending because they think it's so "thought-provoking" and "daring".

Man, we have hard evidence of why there is no indoc at the end. First, the planned on a sequence involving it, but took it out. Second, the notes Walters wrote never mentioned indoctrination, and third, the production notes don't mention anything about indoctrination.

Rufus

Okay, now I feel ancient. Thanks.
Funny story, I remember trying to buy Black & White at the nearest gameshop, but them telling me they weren't going to sell it because it featured "false gods". Had to go to a shop in a nearby city to buy it.
What? Was this in the Netherlands or did you live somewhere else at the time?

.GqueB.

Banned
It does become awkward as you approach the end of the game and you realize you've fought about 70% Cerberus, 5% Geth and only about 25% Reapers along the way in a game that is supposed to be primarily about the Reaper threat.

Even the mission to Sanctuary where there are supposed to be Reapers attacking, you wind up fighting Cerberus who should be like damn its Shepard, that guy who knows about killing Reapers, lets team up with him now.

I always found it odd that Cerberus were treated so flippantly. Almost like a bump in the road. But they were the real actual threat throughout the entire game. What the game was saying vs what it was trying to convey were two completely different things for some reason.

I always found it odd that Cerberus were treated so flippantly. Almost like a bump in the road. But they were the real actual threat throughout the entire game. What the game was saying vs what it was trying to convey were two completely different things for some reason.

I think it had a lot to do with the soldiers seeming so brainless. The only time one even tries to talk to you is after you fill him full of holes. Had they put more personality into the actual soldiers I think it would have felt a lot different. I really expected when I found those injured troops on Sanctuary that there would have been some interaction between Shepard's team and them, but nope, they just turned to attack me as quick as any other enemy did.

In the other thread, polling was brought up when talking about the vocal minority and the silent majority. Some people are holding out on the hope that most people are alright with the ending and those of us who don't like it are just being the loudest. People made good points about the polls and polling, but when so many people keep voting that the endings suck or donate money to a charity, then I think it's safe to assume that almost everyone thinks the ending sucks.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

That's how I feel, except for the drinking part. I don't think he needs to get drunk to write that badly.

Has this been posted?

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5695/article/mass-effect-3-writer-allegedly-slams-controversial-ending/

Its apparently about the posts of a Bioware writer's (supposedly Patrick Weekes) opinion on the ending

Many times already, but I don't think anyone cares.

This cycle has repeated itself more times than you can fathom

This is definitely becoming game controversy of the year.

And it's been two weeks since the game came out and the controversy has gotten worse

sTeLioSco

Banned
In the other thread, polling was brought up when talking about the vocal minority and the silent majority. Some people are holding out on the hope that most people are alright with the ending and those of us who don't like it are just being the loudest. People made good points about the polls and polling, but when so many people keep voting that the endings suck or donate money to a charity, then I think it's safe to assume that almost everyone thinks the ending sucks.

maybe the ones that like it dont have internet....
and they are playing masseffect in vain.

.GqueB.

Banned

I like the theory because it actually makes the ending a bit more digestible for me. But then I get annoyed when I realize that means the game never actually ended and the reaper threat is still going on when the game finishes.

Id be more ok with it if the series hinted that this was always about Sheps indoctrination. Like if there were sudden hints that Shep was changing in some way. Or that she was making strange decisions and taking strange actions in some situations. Even a few points in battle where I suddenly lost control of myself during reaper fights not realizing what was going on thinking it was some sort of glitch. That way, the ending would've been a nice "Ah-ha!" moment.

But as it stands, that theory just feels very detached and random. Interesting but random. Similar to the LOST writers saying that the show was all about the characters when it kind of wasn't for the longest time.

"IT WAS ALL ABOUT INDOCTRINATION!!!"...

but it kind of wasn't guys.

Proven fake.
By who, some users on the SA forums seen him post before on the PA forums with information regarding Mass Effect and stuff

maybe the ones that like it dont have internet....
and they are playing masseffect in vain.
We can't do anything for them

Nothing will top it.

Unless Half Life 3 comes out as a visual novel.
That will be a meltdown of epic proportions.

Top Bottom