• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BioWare knows that hiring me to write the revised ending would fix all their problems, they're just afraid. Afraid of what I will do. They're not sure the world is ready for my EDI fan fiction becoming a reality.

Speaking of ME3-related spoilercasts, and friend and I posted a 2.5 hour-long podcast last week where we talked about the whole damned game (and not just the ending, though neither of us were exactly dazzled by the last 20 minutes of the game, either):

http://podcast.boyhowdy.org/archives/201

Everything involving London was bad.

-Red phone Boxes, the type that went away in the 1980's.
-All the new buildings look just like the ones from every other planet in ME.
-The importance of Earth (and a capital city) in an intergalactic war.
-Spamming power enemies for 30 minutes.
-No civilians.
-Anderson sounding like he had Alzheimer's when out of nowhere he said
"I was born here you know?"
-James Bond tagging along out of the blue.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Because they have hair/feathers and that shit is hard to model. I don't know, but I'm betting thats what one of their artist said when they asked them to do it.

pdbzf.jpg
If that's what Turian females look like, then that bachelor party scene on Illium makes no sense. The male Turian thought the Asari looked Turian because the Asari head flanges were similar. I suppose he could have meant male Turians, but the scene was about why Asari are attractive to the assorted races, And Turians still use the female pronouns (you could pull the translator card, but since Turians would compare them to their males, it should translate as male).

ShaneB

Fuck gaming not allowed to change endings... There are director's cuts, extended editions, book revisions, etc etc etc.

Also..

Frozen Synapse Update Released
Product Update - Valve
* New Ending
Frozen Synapse has a brand new ending for a limited time only.

Omega

Banned
Remember when Casey Hudson said that there won't be some Reaper off switch?

Haha. Did he really?

I'm convinced everyone at BioWare got fired and EA brought in some new people. They're just having Casey Hudson and the rest of the BioWare staff pretend that they're still working on the game.

Derrick01

Banned
Remember when Casey Hudson said that there won't be some Reaper off switch?

That part (the crucible itself) didn't bother me because they kind of backed themselves into that corner after we saw Sovereign tear a whole fleet up. Casey should have never ever said that though, because there's no logical way to fend off thousands of those when 1 of them damn near ended everything other than an off switch.

Fuck gaming not allowed to change endings... There are director's cuts, extended editions, book revisions, etc etc etc.

Also..

Frozen Synapse Update Released
Product Update - Valve
* New Ending
Frozen Synapse has a brand new ending for a limited time only.

This is gaming's forest drive.

That's something I don't like about the game: Earth was too important and I thought it was kind of arrogant for humanity to go plead with the other races to help when they were dealing with Reapers as well. And without the dark energy plot, it doesn't make sense that the Reapers would focus so much of their strength on Earth... or take the Citadel to Earth... or construct a beam that would take you to the Citadel on Earth

Sotha Sil

God, fuck the crucible. How can you write yourself into a corner so bad? Why would you not plan things out during 2?

They had a lot on their plate. Like designing a model and writing elaborate, branching dialogues for a sexbot and Jessica Chobot (which sounds strangely redundant). Their sense of priorities is truly awe-inspiring.

Tajin

Banned
I wonder, what do Reapers do in their spare time when they're not so busy, you know, reaping?

Do they hang out? Have conversations? Have they evolved beyond such trifling activities?

Do Reapers even have friends?

In a way, destroying/controlling the Reapers is kind of a fucked up thing to do, considering they're all made up of hundreds millions of years of genetic material. The Reapers only wanted to immortalize organic life to preserve them. Maybe being a Reaper would be pretty fun.

Shepard is basically a mass murderer.

rozay

Banned

-No civilians.
That wasn't James Bond, it was the guy from the first CGI reveal trailer 2 years ago!

Riposte

That part (the crucible itself) didn't bother me because they kind of backed themselves into that corner after we saw Sovereign tear a whole fleet up. Casey should have never ever said that though, because there's no logical way to fend off thousands of those when 1 of them damn near ended everything other than an off switch.

Which really says there should not have been thousands of them in 3. The game presented a winnable situation up until the very end of 2 (though only implied) and trailers for 3.

EDIT: Reapers sleep. That's all they do for 50,000 years.

BioWare knows that hiring me to write the revised ending would fix all their problems, they're just afraid. Afraid of what I will do. They're not sure the world is ready for my EDI fan fiction becoming a reality.

EDI is basically fan fiction already, they shouldn't be afraid at all.

True

I wonder, what do Reapers do in their spare time when they're not so busy, you know, reaping?

Do they hang out? Have conversations? Have they evolved beyond such trifling activities?

Do Reapers even have friends?

In a way, destroying/controlling the Reapers is kind of a fucked up thing to do, considering they're all made up of hundreds millions of years of genetic material. The Reapers only wanted to immortalize organic life to preserve them. Maybe being a Reaper would be pretty fun.

Shepard is basically a mass murderer.

They just hang out in dark space, I guess. Probably having mass orgies

http://www.gamesradar.com/mass-effe...future-health-games-bioware-do-not-change-it/

VIDEO GAMES ARE ABOUT TO BECOME MOVIES FOR REAL GUYS

IF THIS HAPPENS THEN GAMES ARE DESTROYED FOREVER

Gotta love that premise:

I don’t know what the ending of Mass Effect 3 entails, and I don’t care. I haven’t even played Mass Effect 3 yet. Hell, I’m still working through the first one at the moment. But despite that lack of personal contact with and investment in the issue – in fact because of that - I can already see very clearly that it is imperative that BioWare do not back down over the current fan protests.

Thanks of the input....

Haunted

-No civilians.
I agree with everything but who is James Bond?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of ME3-related spoilercasts, and friend and I posted a 2.5 hour-long podcast last week where we talked about the whole damned game (and not just the ending, though neither of us were exactly dazzled by the last 20 minutes of the game, either):

http://podcast.boyhowdy.org/archives/201

Listening to it now. Great podcast, but if you are the dude on this podcast, why the hell does your voice get so high pitched? Kinda hard to listen to it with headphones on lol.

Dresden

http://www.gamesradar.com/mass-effe...future-health-games-bioware-do-not-change-it/

VIDEO GAMES ARE ABOUT TO BECOME MOVIES FOR REAL GUYS

IF THIS HAPPENS THEN GAMES ARE DESTROYED FOREVER

I like what he said about New Vegas, back in 2010:

At the end of a game based entirely around those concepts, essentially being told that my final actions and climactic struggle didn't count for anything (and in fact didn't even happen) as soon as I want to play more is a bit galling, as well as a bit archaic.

Omega

Banned
That's something I don't like about the game: Earth was too important and I thought it was kind of arrogant for humanity to go plead with the other races to help when they were dealing with Reapers as well. And without the dark energy plot, it doesn't make sense that the Reapers would focus so much of their strength on Earth... or take the Citadel to Earth... or construct a beam that would take you to the Citadel on Earth

I just assumed Earth got the worst of it because in ME2 they mention how the Reapers are specifically targeting humans and Shepard since he killed one of their own. At least something from ME2 means something since nothing in the rest of the game does, including the DLC.

A lot of the game doesn't make sense. I still loved the game though. When you ask the Turians for help and they say "get the Krogans and we'll help you"

I was thinking to myself. Why don't I just get the Krogans to help me and let you guys die? Wrex is like my second bro, I'm sure he wouldn't mind sending some troops to help out.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't even know if I'd agree with the common sentiment that only the ending sucks and all the 30 hours before it are amazazing.

I didn't like most of the story and mechanical elements that ME3 brought to the table.
Story:

• Crucible + Catalyst: They constantly stress the scale and importance of the project but don't provide the setup or context necessary to appreciate it as such, which ultimately unmasks it as the shallow deus ex machina inserted by the writers it really is.
  • Kai Leng: Terrible character. ME's version of Jar-Jar Binks. Annoying and out of place.
  • The Illusive Man: Completely forgotten for a large part of the story after being so integral in ME2, suddenly appearing at the end only to be thrown aside 5 minutes later. What a waste of a potentially interesting villain.
  • Shepard's reaction to the kid and the dreams: These hokey attempts at characterisation caused a pretty heavy disconnect with "my" Shepard. My renegade Shep is a colonist dick and doesn't give a shit about either that kid, or earth for that matter. ME3 seems more like Bioware's Shepard than previous games which is probably the biggest offense of them all.

Mechanics:

• War Assets: reducing pretty much all of your choices to numbers in a green progress bar. What a terrific way to reduce and dampen the impact of pretty much every potentially interesting choice made in the game. Was thrilled to find Zaaed in my game (one of my favourite ME2 characters) only to have him disappear into my progress bar as a "25". What shit.
  • Benny Hill Reaper Chase on the Galaxy Map: Pretty silly, inoffensive (since it's easily circumvented), but you do have to wonder why they thought this would add to the experience at all. Similarly misdirected as adding tower defence to Assassin's Creed.
  • Scanning minigame redux: WHY!? Well, it's better than in ME2 (so is jabbing needles into my dick though), but still a meaningless and ultimately boring time-waster. Made even worse due to the lack of feedback in some star systems, was ting even more time.

Nitpicking aside, ME3 feeds off the setups in the first two games, runs with some and squanders others. Provides the strongest shooting mechanics but the most shallow/limited roleplaying mechanics in the series.

High production values ensure that I can't really call it a bad game and I still liked my time with it, but it's definitely one of these cases where the longer you think about it, the worse all the small problems get and add up.

lol Shepard is a partly defined character. He/she has to care about Earth. Its part of the script.

Also I dont even think the mechanics are all that much better compared to 2. And its certainly a fuck load easier on insanity.

Jarmel

Banned
I just assumed Earth got the worst of it because in ME2 they mention how the Reapers are specifically targeting humans and Shepard since he killed one of their own. At least something from ME2 means something since nothing in the rest of the game does, including the DLC.

A lot of the game doesn't make sense. I still loved the game though. When you ask the Turians for help and they say "get the Krogans and we'll help you"

I was thinking to myself. Why don't I just get the Krogans to help me and let you guys die? Wrex is like my second bro, I'm sure he wouldn't mind sending some troops to help out.

You mean other than the fact that the Turians have the best fleet in the galaxy and needed ground troops?

They were targeting humans because of the dark energy problem, but since that was thrown out, they really don't have a reason to.

And why didn't they attack the Citadel first?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
He was always the worst on my team. I have no idea how to use him. My combo was always Ashley or James + whatever support character I needed for the mission:

Liara for reapers
EDI for Cerberus
Tali for the Geth/Cerberus
Javik for the lulz

Garrus was always useless. Maybe it was because I was Biotic.

If you are adept, anyone with overload and armor piercing rounds is very useful. Give him plus sniper damage and a high powered rifle and he one shots things on insanity.

Vamphuntr

I'm still rolling my eyes at the outrage of the gaming press at this. I mean you can be against modifying the ending but few are making a good case as to why they are against it. They instead prefer to unleash vitriol at their readers and fans. The artistic integrity point isn't really valid when you take into accounts the business model of Bioware. They retcon the plot of their games, cut important characters and sale them as DLC, panders a lot to their fans and so on.

Saying it will be an apocalypse that will forever damage the gaming industry isn't a good point either. Fallout 3 ending was changed because fans requested so and the world didn't end nor did the gaming industry. Bioware already said Tali was a squadmate in ME3 simply because fans wanted so. Fans requests stuff in sequels and patches all the time. Capcpom also retconned DMC 2 from existence because fans hated the game and its plot.

I just can't understand why they are so eager to belittle fans on this issue. It's not like they had a journalistic integrity either. The Moriarty guy at IGN was owned hard by Forbes when they showed he was all for changing the design of Cole in Infamous 2 like the fans wanted and that companies should listen to fans feedback and yet called the ME3 fans whiners and entitled. IGN also had Chobot in the game and had an exclusive review so you can't really say they are objective.

I just don't see how they can complain that fans gave 80k to charity because of this. I mean you can raise the point that it does seem quite the bold move to this but at the very least they are contributing to something positive while expressing their disappointment. Unlike Jim Sterling who is always writing terrible reviews and complaining, at least here it translates to funding for a good cause.

I would like to know more as to why they are so angry about this issue. Are they bitter they didn't get to write about how the terrible ending was and are now trying to save face? Are they afraid to suffer the might of EA and lose their precious review codes? Why else could they be so angry and outraged about this.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

I THINK the Turian Krogan thing was that Humans needed ships, and the Turians needed ground troops more than ships because of the number of actual Reapers on the planet Vs the reaper ground troops.

The drell don't count. Bioware was so lazy that when Thane is in a hospital bed dying he's still wearing his leather armor.

God...I noticed that too...the guy was stabbed through the gut/chest...and yet he's still wearing his outfit from ME 2.

Miranda - wanted fugitive of Cerberus and the Alliance and she was still wearing her Cerberus outfit from ME 2.

Really? That's the only skin-tight sexy outfit available in the future?

She didn't think it might benefit her in moving about if she made a costume change?

Lol at people in my facebook friendlist defending Bioware because of the articles "journalist" are putting, and the excuse of art.
The best thing of all, all the people defending Bioware is people that are even saying directly "You know I havent played the game yet (or the saga) but they cant change the ending"
Fuck them, fuck them all.

God...I noticed that too...the guy was stabbed through the gut/chest...and yet he's still wearing his outfit from ME 2.

Miranda - wanted fugitive of Cerberus and the Alliance and she was still wearing her Cerberus outfit from ME 2.

She didn't think it might benefit her in moving about if she made a costume change?

Seems that way becuase one of the outfits of SID is Miranda's outfit in blue lol

-No civilians.

That was pretty unintentionally hilarious.
"I was born here, you know"
"did I ever tell you I was born here Shepard?"
"despite my complete lack of a British accent, I was in fact, born here"

-No civilians.

Yeah...London. WHY London?

I don't have a problem with London but they metioned it enough times to make me think there was something to it.

Other than Big Ben and the phone boxes...what was the point of London? It could have been any city.

Hey, hey Miranda's outfit wasn't the same, it didn't have a Cerberus logo.

I'm reminded of the original Clerks screening. I forget who said it, but basically he told Kevin Smith that you couldn't end a movie like that.

Movies aren't art either, I suppose.

Omega

Banned
You mean other than the fact that the Turians have the best fleet in the galaxy and needed ground troops?

Best fleet in the galaxy doesn't mean shit against Reapers.

One Reaper can take out more than 5 ships by themselves. There's 1000s of Reapers. Who cares? You're recruiting everyone to die. What's the difference if they're the best fleet, best navy or best scientists? At least this was my mindset in the beginning of the game. I was fully expecting the Reapers to win. It's an inevitable cycle, why would we be the ones to end it?

The only difference it makes in the end is what flavor of space magic you get to spread. So are they really necessary to begin with?

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah...London. WHY London?

I don't have a problem with London but they metioned it enough times to make me think there was something to it.

Other than Big Ben and the phone boxes...what was the point of London? It could have been any city.

Would you people prefer NYC? Because I'm sure that's what it came down to.

Both Miranda and Jacob were wearing their default Cerberus outfits with just the Cerberus patch removed. Bioware = lazy. Couldn't even be bothered to use an alternative DLC outfit

Jasoneyu

Besides the whole games = art debate (which I wouldn't touch with a 500 foot pole). For the sake of argument, say ME3 was considered art, what specifically excludes art from changing its vision? Just because it is art, its concepts/meanings/ideas are suddenly solidified and not subject to change?

Jarmel

Banned
Best fleet in the galaxy doesn't mean shit against Reapers.

One Reaper can take out more than 5 ships by themselves. There's 1000s of Reapers. Who cares? You're recruiting everyone to die. What's the difference if they're the best fleet, best navy or best scientists? At least this was my mindset in the beginning of the game. I was fully expecting the Reapers to win. It's an inevitable cycle, why would we be the ones to end it?

The only difference it makes in the end is what flavor of space magic you get to spread. So are they really necessary to begin with?

This post seems a little bitter. Landforces can only do so much against a primarily space fleet.

They could have given us Shanghai or New Delhi or Rio or at least Tokyo but nope, gotta maintain a sense of familiarity for Western gamers even though the capital city of Earth is Vancouver.

I thought that it was just the location of Alliance HQ, and they only made it Vancouver because of their familiarity and love of the city (which is why they blew it to fuck)

Jarmel

Banned
They could have given us Shanghai or New Delhi or Rio or at least Tokyo but nope, gotta maintain a sense of familiarity for Western gamers even though the capital city of Earth is Vancouver.

Yea the Vancouver bit is a little wtf but I gave them that as the developers are Canadian. In reality it would probably be either Beijing/Shanghai or NYC.

Just be thankful though it wasn't a city in the States.

Top Bottom