• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

flyover

If the post from PAX is to be believed, it's also Casey's doing, because he's very "analytical." Moreover, it's speculated that they didn't even have a real ending planned until around November when they scribbled "LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE."

Is this last phrase what they thought the ending would spur from players, or a comment that there was "lots of speculation" amongst the writing team? Because if it's the former, things didn't really work out that way. Aside from the indoctrination theory, nobody's doing much speculating on the ending, except for for what the hell they were thinking when they made it.

Jarmel

Banned
G-man is Illusive man. Combine are different kind of Protheans indoctrinated by the Reapers. Joker robo-hat as DLC character. Glados gets a sexy robot body with cameltoe and fights alongside the Freeman.

THIS HURTS YOU.

I would pay to bang Glados. DAT voice.

Is this last phrase what they thought the ending would spur from players, or a comment that there was "lots of speculation" amongst the writing team? Because if it's the former, things didn't really work out that way. Aside from the indoctrination theory, nobody's doing much speculating on the ending, except for for what the hell they were thinking when they made it.

It's an actual quote from an actual notebook scribble.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
If by writing team you mean Mac and Casey, yes.

There are some speculations as to what consequences each choice has, there's also some speculation regarding indoctrination. There's also some very real speculation about the aptitude carried by the writers at BioWare. :p

ib00DlVH1JnPkT.jpg

flyover

It's an actual quote from an actual notebook scribble.

Yeah, I've seen it. Did it refer to what they thought the ending would spark? That's how I interpreted it. But the ending doesn't really invite much speculation at all. It was pretty cut-and-dried.

Edit:

If by writing team you mean Mac and Casey, yes.

There are some speculations as to what consequences each choice has, there's also some speculation regarding indoctrination. There's also some very real speculation about the aptitude carried by the writers at BioWare. :p

Ha! Thanks.

Patryn

flyover

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/23/mass-effect-3-ending-what-do-game-writers-think/

Quotes from various game writers (including Chris Avellone) on Bioware changing the ME3 ending.

I like what Jesse Schell had to say. Executing point #1 can be tricky because of point #2, and vice versa.

1) If people really hate the original ending, maybe changing it will make people like the game more. If so, good idea—change it!

2) People want the world of Mass Effect to seem real and solid. When you change the world like that, it robs the world of its illusion of reality. Uh, oh, don’t change it!

3) This could be an awesome publicity stunt, designed to get people to talk about and pay more attention to the game. In that case, create controversy, act like the old ending will be “replaced” but then change the game so that depending on your actions in the game, you get two different possible endings!

Chris Avellone <3 <3

Yeah, his response was great, too.

I wonder if Mac Walters really read a Brave New World. I remember the ending really sucked but I don't remember any vent gods, and nothing else about the book resembles Mass Effect in any way

Rapstah

I'm not sure how it can be argued that you're breaking Mac Walters' artistic vision by patching the ending if it's his artistic vision to patch the ending.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I think it had a lot to do with the soldiers seeming so brainless. The only time one even tries to talk to you is after you fill him full of holes. Had they put more personality into the actual soldiers I think it would have felt a lot different. I really expected when I found those injured troops on Sanctuary that there would have been some interaction between Shepard's team and them, but nope, they just turned to attack me as quick as any other enemy did.

They were brainless. They got these implants to make them stupid and easier for Cerberus to control. Plus their heads blow up if they get captured.

flyover

I wonder if Mac Walters really read a Brave New World. I remember the ending really sucked but I don't remember any vent gods, and nothing else about the book resembles Mass Effect in any way

The stuff with the Soma just… You have to understand. Huxley is really smart and really analytical. And the problem is that when he’s not checked, he will assume that other people are like him, and will really appreciate an almost completely unemotional intellectual ending. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it.

Galactic Fork

I'm not sure how it can be argued that you're breaking Mac Walters' artistic vision by patching the ending if it's his artistic vision to patch the ending.

The point is that fans are making him change his artistic vision. Making this a huge precedent by being the third or fourth time a game's ending has been changed because it was poorly done.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think he means a "brave new world" as in something new and unexpected through each of the choices -- or maybe just synthesis.

I really enjoyed that book, but there's nothing similar to this game.

The stuff with the Soma just… You have to understand. Huxley is really smart and really analytical. And the problem is that when he’s not checked, he will assume that other people are like him, and will really appreciate an almost completely unemotional intellectual ending. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it.
Ahaha.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The ending of BNW is excellent. Cmere, out the airlock with you.

The point is that fans are making him change his artistic vision. Making this a huge precedent by being the third or fourth time a game's ending has been changed because it was poorly done.

Can't tell if sarcasm but if not, how can it be a precedent if it wouldn't be the first time an ending has been changed?

It's not about the ending really, it's about fans holding them accountable for what they promised. Could be any feature.

Dresden

Welp, it's over. Avellone has spoken.

“Games should take advantage of feedback and using it for DLC changes and sequel changes. I feel BioWare does this from game to game already, and it’s the reason that some companions have achieved the prominence and romance options in the games that they do because the players strongly responded to those characters—and I’ll be blunt, we as narrative designers have no idea how a character’s going to be received, and “breakout” characters we envision may end up not being that at all once the game is released into the wild.

Most importantly, game development is an iterative process. Our goal is to entertain our players. No one knows more about what they consider “fun” than the player themselves. While you can’t please everyone, there are iterations that make sense to do in DLC content and sequels. As a case study, the DLC process from Fallout: New Vegas allowed us to collate all the weapon feedback from FNV and adjust it, and it also allowed us to take a long look at what gameplay elements and mods people were making for New Vegas and incorporate that into the narrative and quest lines. The best example is we noticed that people were making a LOT of homebase mods. So, we designed a good chunk of Old World Blues to specifically revolve on you making a new homebase in New Vegas with all the improvements people were pointing out. Even better, we were able to make it part of the story and the characters. Everybody wins, and people seemed to really enjoy it based on the fan (and press) response—but the catch is, we never would have thought to do that without analyzing the fan response and taking that into account.”

i agree with Susan O’Connor

Those shepards , everyone shepard , that was something for us..Each player has a different shepard and taht was reinforced in teh fact that our decisions were making the ending ( or at least it was strongly told by everyone ).
Now i have no problem following a story ( silly or not ), but here, the illusion is destroyed i don't even care that the events at teh ending are true or not ..i wanted some kind of grasp on my decisions There is no point in me importing my characters and making decision if i can't influence things , even a little.
Even if i can't ( because the writers said so ) , then at least i tried.

for example , arrival didn't left me any choice at the end BUT that was a bridge to set-up more events ..but here my actions are simply negated ..... i hate this...

I don't see a problem with changing the ending of a game with multiple endings.

It's not like a film or a more linear story getting changed. They can just add on more options to the end and the artistic visions should remain intact.

Omega

Banned
Can't tell if sarcasm but if not, how can it be a precedent if it wouldn't be the first time an ending has been changed?

Most people just pick words that sound nice and use it. They may not know what it means, but they hope the reader doesn't as well.

Can people please stop posting the LOTS OF SPECULATION picture? It really breaks my heart every time I see it.

What are the other examples?

Fallout 3 is the one I know for sure. PoP(2008) ending changed, but I'm entirely sure on they why it could a dirty business strategy or people didn't like that point has never been made clear, but I'm inclined to go with the former.

The artistic integrity argument really bothers me when Bioware panders so damn often. I also don't think it was appropriate to include Paul Taylor who obviously changed his ending to troll. I'm also curious how much story that Frozen Synapse has, because I doubt its very much

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I don't see a problem with changing the ending of a game with multiple endings.

It's not like a film or a more linear story getting changed. They can just add on more options to the end and the artistic visions should remain intact.

I think this is a part of what's being missed by opponents of the changes. People who want ending changes don't give two shits about the current endings, but I'm pretty sure they don't care as long as other options are available for them to choose from, especially with all the variance in the ME universe so far based on 'player choice'.

I mean, yeah, artistic vision leading to a singularity to hit all of the right emotions, yadda yadda.....but why pull the rug of choice out from under the player with such force with the Catalyst?

Rapstah

Wait, really? I'd never heard of Portal's or KOTOR2's ending being changed.

Portal 2 (edit: sorry, no idea what I was thinking there) was changed to tie into the second game with your body being pulled back into the facility by a robot. Same writers for both games, was done to tie into the artistic vision of theirs for the second one.

KOTOR 2 had the original artistic vision cut out in the state it launched, and it was reinstated somewhat with the restoration patches. Playing it through with one of those mods it's my absolute favourite game ever, although I'm sure analysing its individual components and especially its ending it's worse than both the other KOTOR game and all the Mass Effects.

ari

Banned
I'm assuming this year will have enough good games to make my top 10, in which case I don't think I could put this game on it at all. It dropped the ball so hard at the end that I wouldn't feel right putting it on a best of 2012 list.

It will probably win on gaf though because the masses have shown time and time again with MGS4 and ME2 that they don't care about quality and consistency.

you have a deux ex human revolution avatar.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/23/mass-effect-3-ending-what-do-game-writers-think/

Quotes from various game writers (including Chris Avellone) on Bioware changing the ME3 ending.

I don't know. I don't think the majority of the "change the ending" is based on Lore/story but more based on mechanic/functionality and lost promise. I'm fine with a developer keeping what ever story they want and we will all complain about it and hate on it (like we do with every poor ending). But the problem is lack of choice and finality, and as gamers we are letting them know our experience was ruined due to that.

I've not really heard gamers saying, "CHANGE THE STORY BACK TO DARK ENERGY!" It's more, "Expand on the story, explain it a little more and give us more choice". Which is not wanting ART to be changed, but just the way that art is acquired; which is what games are... constantly evolving/changing even when released, fueled by player reaction/'feedback'.

Comparing it to film is not appropriate, because film is lacking the aspect that gamers have the biggest problem with; interaction. Comparing an epic 100+ hour experience, with diverse choices/plot lines, that are constantly interweaving and changing one another to a film is NO way related. You'd have to compare it to something similar, but there isn't anything similar... this is essentially the first time such an experience has come to a close and we can't look to past entertainment as a basis on how it should be handled. You have to go with what is best for this experience as a whole and it seems Bioware is going to address that.

Galactic Fork

I don't know. I don't think the majority of the "change the ending" is based on Lore/story but more based on mechanic/functionality and lost promise. I'm fine with a developer keeping what ever story they want and we will all complain about it and hate on it (like we do with every poor ending). But the problem is lack of choice and finality, and as gamers we are letting them know our experience was ruined due to that.

I've not really heard gamers saying, "CHANGE THE STORY BACK TO DARK ENERGY!" It's more, "Expand on the story, explain it a little more and give us more choice". Which is not wanting ART to be changed, but just the way that art is acquired; which is what games are... constantly evolving/changing even when released, fueled by player reaction/'feedback'.

Comparing it to film is not appropriate, because film is lacking the aspect that gamers have the biggest problem with; interaction. Comparing an epic 100+ hour experience, with diverse choices/plot lines, that are constantly interweaving and changing one another to a film is NO way related. You'd have to compare it to something similar, but there isn't anything similar... this is essentially the first time such an experience has come to a close and we can't look to past entertainment as a basis on how it should be handled. You have to go with what is best for this experience as a whole and it seems Bioware is going to address that.

I don't want them to explain more. Explaining is what got us the horrible "We bring order to chaos by saving organics form themselves crap." They should have kept Reapers as unfathomably dickish monster ships that farm us. If they explain more, we'll get something worse than the god child thing.

Derrick01

Banned
Chris Avellone <3 <3

When the master speaks the world should shut up and listen.

you have a deux ex human revolution avatar.

I do. You didn't have to dig up a 3 day old post to tell me that!

I do know what you meant though. I don't and didn't really care too much about HR's story, or the original Deus Ex's story. Deus Ex is all about gameplay perfection, and HR is a modernized version of it. Story comes next to last in that series.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
KOTOR2's ending apparently was cut by the developers but left on the disk, so a mod was made that unlocked the real ending.

Wasnt the real ending, just what they managed to finish. I dont think we will ever get to see the completed ending for kotOR 2

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
When the master speaks the world should shut up and listen.

I do. You didn't have to dig up a 3 day old post to tell me that!

I do know what you meant though. I don't and didn't really care too much about HR's story, or the original Deus Ex's story. Deus Ex is all about gameplay perfection, and HR is a modernized version of it. Story comes next to last in that series.

Thats why there is so much story in the Deus Ex series lol...

(Susan Oconnor said it well) I agree with this, exactly what the problem is;
Whoever said &#8216;Dying is easy, comedy is hard&#8217; never wrote for video games. I haven&#8217;t played Mass Effect 3 yet, so I can&#8217;t speak to that game specifically, except to say that my heart goes out to those guys on the team, who I am sure worked incredibly hard on that project. This whole experience has got to be a punch in the gut for them. Speaking more generally, this issue feels like one of player expectation. The takeaway, for me, is that if players are promised player agency, they&#8217;re going to want to see that promise delivered all the way to the (bitter) end.

If players know from the get-go that they&#8217;re playing an authored game&#8212;or if they&#8217;re lulled into complacency with the illusion of agency&#8212;then they&#8217;ll accept an authored ending, as we&#8217;ve seen with other successful games.

This game (for me anyways) is the first multi game experience that is a somewhat player crafted experience. That's why comparing it to other linear experiences and stating, "It's like changing the ending of Lord of the Rings!" does not work.

Top Bottom