• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Zeal

Banned
I did not like the ending, and I want to say the worst part was that there was no no drinks with Garrus at the end.

It ok, bra. DLC incoming soon.

enhanced-buzz-10732-1332185893-39.jpg

Finally finished it just now, destroyed the Reapers. Christ the ending is even shittier when experiencing it firsthand.

At least on youtube I can skip the shitty dialogue. That ending sequence was painful to play, with the slow limping, and unskippable dialogue.

On the subject of changing the ending, there's no point in 'clarifying' it. It's badly written and utter shit, to fix it you'd have to scrap it.

This idea of Hudson being 'analytical' is also hilarious. I'm an analytical person, and yet I know enough to see a shitty 'analytical' ending. The hint is where your pseudo-philosophical and self-indulgent crap has the most obvious contradictions, plotholes, and nonsensical behaviour seen in a medium. Where the most cursory analysis by anyone remotely competent shows just how much of a failure it is in pretty much every way.

It's not intelligent, or thought-provoking. It's not filled with deep themes (and if you write such an ending, how about USING THE THEMES ALREADY PRESENT IN YOUR WORK). It's just shit, and makes Hudson/Walters look like idiots and hacks.

Dany

Banned
My name is Commander fucking Shepard. My goal since day 1 for 5 years has been to destroy the reapers. Why in holy hell would I listen to starchild?

RDreamer

My name is Commander fucking Shepard. My goal since day 1 for 5 years has been to destroy the reapers. Why in holy hell would I listen to starchild?

What else are you going to do?

I mean I think the ending's pretty bad, too, but this doesn't make much sense. The entire premise of the game was that they were absolutely not going to win the war without the crucible. His only alternative to using the crucible is nothing at all, which means they die. So, either you use the crucible (destroy), use the modified options presented by star child (control or synthesis), or you just die.

Omega

Banned
I did not like the ending, and I want to say the worst part was that there was no no drinks with Garrus at the end.

Definitely.

Garrus is my bro for life and I don't even get drinks with him? Not even in Heaven? We made plans. My bro wouldn't just back out on me to go visit jungle world.

..unless Jungle World is Heaven and the Normandy was traveling at FTL to meet up with because they didn't want to be late.

Gestahl

Definitely.

Garrus is my bro for life and I don't even get drinks with him? Not even in Heaven? We made plans. My bro wouldn't just back out on me to go visit jungle world.

..unless Jungle World is Heaven and the Normandy was traveling at FTL to meet up with because they didn't want to be late.

Don't worry, he'll probably starve to death on jungle world and join Shepard shortly after

What else are you going to do?

I mean I think the ending's pretty bad, too, but this doesn't make much sense. The entire premise of the game was that they were absolutely not going to win the war without the crucible. His only alternative to using the crucible is nothing at all, which means they die. So, either you use the crucible (destroy), use the modified options presented by star child (control or synthesis), or you just die.

The suspension of disbelief was lost a bit right when you find out the catalyst is the citadel and the reapers, somehow sensing what you're about to do but otherwise somehow powerless to stop you, decide to move the citadel to earth. I guess now you could say vent god moved himself to earth but i still don't get the reason, it was never explained. It just provided Shep a clear avenue to destroy the reapers.

RDreamer

The suspension of disbelief was lost a bit right when you find out the catalyst is the citadel and the reapers, somehow sensing what you're about to do but otherwise somehow powerless to stop you, decide to move the citadel to earth. I guess now you could say vent god moved himself to earth but i still don't get the reason, it was never explained. It just provided Shep a clear avenue to destroy the reapers.

Well, since the crucible functioned exactly the same no matter where it was, wouldn't it be the smart thing to move the catalyst nearest your largest force? I mean if the reapers kept it where it was, it was completely open and vulnerable. The alliance could have waltzed right in there and connected the crucible and wiped out the reapers. To put it better, where the citadel was, in open space, was absolutely the clearest avenue. They moved it to their best, most defensible spot, where they had their army located, which was earth.

Funny thing is a lot of real WRPGs (I went there) would have the ending we all hate in there, as well as a handful of significantly different ones, I can't think of a WRPG that had such little variation in endings.

Dany

Banned

Anderson was speculating that they were using the citadel to harvest the reapers...?

Well, since the crucible functioned exactly the same no matter where it was, wouldn't it be the smart thing to move the catalyst nearest your largest force? I mean if the reapers kept it where it was, it was completely open and vulnerable. The alliance could have waltzed right in there and connected the crucible and wiped out the reapers.

I think I'd move it to fucking darkspace before id plant it right next to our protagonist's home planet and put a handy teleporter there for him to access it, but I'm no military strategist

RDreamer

I think I'd move it to fucking darkspace before id plant it right next to our protagonist's home planet and put a handy teleporter there for him to access it, but I'm no military strategist

Getting to dark space isn't exactly the quickest thing ever, if I understand correctly. They'd have to move it past systems, and would likely still need to defend it, wherever they moved it to.

I tend to think of it like this: If in a war you get word that your spy has been found out by the enemy you move him back to your most defensible position as quickly as you can. That would likely be in the front lines. Now, once you get him there you obviously keep moving him, but the analogy falls away here since there really aren't lines that you're safe behind. You kind of just have to keep the thing you need protected to where you have the protection.

Anderson was speculating that they were using the citadel to harvest the reapers...?

Anderson speculated that they were using the citadel to harvest humans to build a human reaper, However if the reapers were even the slightest bit intelligent moving the key to their destruction to the oppositions homeworld is a choice they would avoid at all costs, they could ride the Citadel into a mass relay and have it come out in the perseus veil or even send it to dark space.

Hell they could even destroy it, but no lets give it to the people that will use it to Destroy/Enslave us

Anderson speculated that they were using the citadel to harvest humans to build a human reaper, However if the reapers were even the slightest bit intelligent moving the key to their destruction to the oppositions homeworld is a choice they would avoid at all costs, they could ride the Citadel into a mass relay and have it come out in the perseus veil or even send it to dark space.

Hell they could even destroy it, but no lets give it to the people that will use it to Destroy/Enslave us

It the Germans finalize an atomic weapon then this war is lost, lets take all our research on atomic weapons over to Germany for some reason.

Rufus

Or just turn off the beam. Just, turn it off. No reason to bring Harbinger even in. Turn off the damned beam.

This is another one of those things that's just falls apart the moment you think about it. On the one hand you have to assume that they intended for Shepard to come through, because there would have been much better ways at stopping him. But then why was Harbinger there? Idiocy. And then they don't even try to explain that, even though Star Child gives them the perfect opportunity to talk it away without having to show anything.

And the we present choices to their saviour that, upon even cursory inspection, don't do anything but end their program that they thought was essential to galactic life. Basically, what the Crucible enables them to do is this: stop (destroy), maybe stop (control), stop and then redefine the problem (synthesis).

It is embarrassing.

RDreamer

It the Germans finalize an atomic weapon then this war is lost, lets take all our research on atomic weapons over to Germany for some reason.

That analogy isn't even close. It'd be more like: If the Germans finalize an atomic weapon, then this war is lost, so let's steal their research and take it to our front lines, where we can hopefully protect it. Sure, the front lines are literally where the German forces are attacking, but it's better than sitting right in their back yard completely unguarded.

And the we present choices to their saviour that, upon even cursory inspection, don't do anything but end their program that they thought was essential to galactic life. Basically, what the Catalyst enables them to do is this: stop (destroy), maybe stop (control), stop and then redefine the problem (synthesis).

It is embarrassing.

Except not quite. What the catalyst enables, from their perspective is stop for a short (relatively speaking) time (destroy), likely not stop (control), and join everyone together so that there is no longer a problem.

Remember, every single cycle the indoctrinated wanted to control the reapers. They don't care about being controlled. My feeling about that is that they likely believe that to control them you must become them, and once you become them you are enlightened to their purpose, and thus they won't be stopped at all.

Gestahl

Alex Navarro @jimsterling: "It's a hell of a lot easier to get noticed when you're pandering to the insulted masses. Hence, Forbes guy."

Yes, run into Jim Sterling's safe, blubberous bosom, yesssssss

Omega

Banned
they could ride the Citadel into a mass relay and have it come out in the perseus veil or even send it to dark space.

lolwut

A mass relay can't teleport the Citadel. If it could, I'm sure it would have teleported the asteroid that destroys it in The Arrival.

Getting to dark space isn't exactly the quickest thing ever, if I understand correctly. They'd have to move it past systems, and would likely still need to defend it, wherever they moved it to.

I tend to think of it like this: If in a war you get word that your spy has been found out by the enemy you move him back to your most defensible position as quickly as you can. That would likely be in the front lines. Now, once you get him there you obviously keep moving him, but the analogy falls away here since there really aren't lines that you're safe behind. You kind of just have to keep the thing you need protected to where you have the protection.
They could have shut down the relay network or taken the Citadel through the Omega-4 relay

Alex Navarro @jimsterling: "It's a hell of a lot easier to get noticed when you're pandering to the insulted masses. Hence, Forbes guy."

Yes, run into Jim Sterling's safe, blubberous bosom, yesssssss

Since I disagree with Alex Navarro I know I'm in the right.

That analogy isn't even close. It'd be more like: If the Germans finalize an atomic weapon, then this war is lost, so let's steal their research and take it to our front lines, where we can hopefully protect it. Sure, the front lines are literally where the German forces are attacking, but it's better than sitting right in their back yard completely unguarded.

My analogy was pretty shitty, I can't even think of how to work the Starchild/Reaper god into it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
lolwut

A mass relay can't teleport the Citadel. If it could, I'm sure it would have teleported the asteroid that destroys it in The Arrival.

Why not?
Did they say how they moved te Citadel in ME3?

Mass Relays move Ships with Mass Effect cores don't they? It isn't an automatic thing as relays are told where you want to go as they connect to multiple relays, so no, an asteroid wouldn't automatically go through one.

They got the catalyst through the relay and that is as wide as the Citadel, no reason the Citadel can't use a Mass Relay too.

RDreamer

You know all the technological capabilities of both the Citadel and the Mass Relays then?

You're the one purporting that it couldn't possibly move there on its own, when there's absolutely no evidence that it couldn't, so apparently you do know all the capabilities.

lolwut

IM pretty sure one of those things has the ability to interact with the mass relays systems to utilize it for travel and the other one of those things IS A FUCKING ASTEROID.

Seriously you think harbinger pushed the citadel to earth?, If the citadel was anywhere close to earth it would of been picked up when humans started to scan space for the first time, which would of peaked human interest and forced humanity into funding space travel heavily thus them reaching galactic travel much quicker than they did.

Rapstah

You're the one purporting that it couldn't possibly move there on its own, when there's absolutely no evidence that it couldn't, so apparently you do know all the capabilities.

I was only claiming so in response to this:

lolwut

Mistook his user name for yours, that's why I spoke to you directly.

RDreamer

I was only claiming so in response to this:

Mistook his user name for yours, that's why I spoke to you directly.

Ah, yeah I'm not that guy. You have a right to believe either or, but you can't exactly call one supposition ridiculous while supporting the other, since there's really no evidence at all either way.

Rufus

Except not quite. What the catalyst enables, from their perspective is stop for a short (relatively speaking) time (destroy),
Why a short time? Do you assume they keep back-ups outside the galaxy? It'd be only prudent, I suppose... So for them it'b be the best option, if they are committed to their program. But what about the species they 'conserved'? It'd be a bummer to lose all those, surely.

likely not stop (control),
I don't know. My Shepard united the Geth and Quarians. Don't think he'll be easily convinced. Regardless, it's not a safe choice for them.

and join everyone together so that there is no longer a problem.
Supposedly, because who says there'll be no galaxy wide conflict, even between species who now all have something in common (which all life already did).

Rapstah

Ah, yeah I'm not that guy. You have a right to believe either or, but you can't exactly call one supposition ridiculous while supporting the other, since there's really no evidence at all either way.

The evidence supporting that the Citadel can be moved to Earth through Mass Relays is that it's there. It's the only mode of travel mentioned in-universe that could actually move it there that quickly. You'll notice I answered his statement with a question, not a direct statement that it must have been moved with the relays.

The only supported explanation we have for it moving is Mass Relay transportation. It could also potentially have some amazing engine that also goes at that speed, but we wouldn't know that.

EDIT: And if it moved itself with its own mass relay then that's technically mass relay travel by my measure :armscrossed

Alchemy

EDIT: And if it moved itself with its own mass relay then that's technically mass relay travel by my measure :armscrossed

I think I'm still trying to figure out who cares and why. We don't need an explanation for the Citadel traveling to Earth, we have constant FTL travel in the Mass Effect universe. The Citadel is basically a giant space ship, not sure what the issue is.

As I posted long ago, that is the equivalent of eating your own head.

But yes, it couldn't have gotten there that quickly without the relays being used. Reapers are necessary plot device fast, but not that fast.

Rapstah

I think I'm still trying to figure out who cares and why. We don't need an explanation for the Citadel traveling to Earth, we have constant FTL travel in the Mass Effect universe. The Citadel is basically a giant space ship, not sure what the issue is.

Ask the guy who straight down claimed the Citadel couldn't possibly be moved with Mass Relays!

Top Bottom