• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

I don't know if I can answer that question for you in a way you like or want. Are you talking world building as in things that existed before the arks and nexus got there or world building as a result of ryders actions?

More of the former. What I liked about ME1 (and ME2 and ME3, to a lesser extent), is that it presented a world that felt lived in. The first time you stepped onto the Citidel, it was clear this was an ancient galaxy that existed long before you entered the stage, and will continue to exist after you.

By comparison, the Helius cluster just feels young and barren. It doesn't seem to have a history beyond a few hundred years, and what history it does have, is seemingly always tied to either the Angara, the Remnant, the Sourge or the Kett.

OmegaDL50

More of the former. What I liked about ME1 (and ME2 and ME3, to a lesser extent), is that it presented a world that felt lived in. The first time you stepped onto the Citidel, it was clear this was an ancient galaxy that existed long before you entered the stage, and will continue to exist after you.

By comparison, the Helius cluster just feels young and barren. It doesn't seem to have a history beyond a few hundred years, and what history it does have, is seemingly always tied to either the Angara, the Remnant, the Sourge or the Kett.

Well the Milky Way Species are entirely new to the Andromeda Galaxy so they wouldn't have any preexisting history in it. That being the point of the Andromeda Initiative to begin with to go to an entirely supposedly uncharted galaxy and make a new home. This is the Pathfinders job.

Considering the 600 year gap (Mainly due to Cryosleep). All of the major characters from the initial trilogy are long dead most likely. So this is a clean start in an entirely new location. Since you are trying to chart uncharted worlds, the fact that it's barely lived in makes sense for the premise of the game.

Vengal

Question regarding Cora's Loyalty mission:

I have the system i'm supposed to goto to find the ark but I'm there and have 100% on the system and no ark. Am i missing something?

hydruxo

Man some of the bugs in this game. Can you even call it them bugs? On one occasion I received an email referring to a character I hadn't even met yet like he was already on the team. Another time, a character I had never heard of spoke to me over comms. Only later did I come across the side mission that first mentioned the character.

Have to say, though, I'm enjoying it more than Inquisition. They've done a lot to make the experience of playing the game and exploring less shallow and tedious - even though they're clearly using a similar open world design template. Not perfect, but not nearly as bad as DA:I.

It's a shame the plot and characters can't really compare to the OT though. The original games had such a strong hook. Mankind had made contact with all these alien races and joined the galaxy, and you end up representing humanity while dealing with this massive looming threat.

The setup for Andromeda just isn't nearly as strong or compelling. And they didn't really do enough even with what they do have. The intro of the game could have done more to set the scene and the characters and get you invested. Same with when you meet most of your companions, or the Angara - the story doesn't give itself any room to breathe to really get you engaged. It constantly feels like it's glossing over everything. Also they hurt themselves by cutting the game off from the OT so dramatically.

Also, they totally overdid the whole crafting, research and development aspect of the game. They should really have simplified that. Game is already too busy.

There are positives though. The companions are quite well done - well designed, and they offer a lot of engagement, on the Tempus or when out exploring. Environments are great, combat is solid, some of the quests are pretty good, and some aspects of the plot are intriguing. The game is also good at creating a sense of place and making you feel like you really are traveling through the galaxy in a spaceship. Which is great.

I can't stand the crafting in this game. They made it way more compicated than it needed to be. If they just condense the research stuff into a single type of research data, it would help a lot. And I'd also like to see them ditch the tiered bs for gear. Just have one tier. Having to constantly research and craft 5 tiers of a single item to get the best one is a tad much.

Vamphuntr

Question regarding Cora's Loyalty mission:

I have the system i'm supposed to goto to find the ark but I'm there and have 100% on the system and no ark. Am i missing something?

You can't miss quests in the game. In the quest log is it "on hold"? You need to progress more in the plot until she sends you an email.

Where can I get more remnant decryption keys? Don't like alien sodoku at all.

Edit: apparently they are super rare, lame

alien sudoku wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the ones that are like the BIG ones with a cross in the middle and weird shapes on the side. If they had just stuck with the 4 squares it wouldn't be bad.

Vengal

I think its bugged out, the system does not have the object I need to interact with. Looking at a lets play right now and it looks like it should just be there and I should just goto it and start the mission. However in my game its just 4 planets and not the objective.

Bummer i guess i don't get to finish her loyalty mission.

I can't stand the crafting in this game. They made it way more compicated than it needed to be. If they just condense the research stuff into a single type of research data, it would help a lot. And I'd also like to see them ditch the tiered bs for gear. Just have one tier. Having to constantly research and craft 5 tiers of a single item to get the best one is a tad much.

They should have just copied ME2 and 3 because what they came up with definitely isn't better. I also don't like the way they handle the inventory. I'm sure it was a lot simpler and more elegant in the old games. Why would they not have upgraded items just automatically replace the older ones? Why do I have to worry about my inventory limit when it comes to all the weapons and armor and mods I've found or created? That should all be stored separate of inventory.

DeaDPo0L84

Sooo I found a valkyrie IV assault rifle. I am quite enjoying it and thought that maybe now the research for that weapon would be complete up to that level,nope. Kinda dumb i still have to research the first 4 levels when I am already using the level 4 of that weapon, plus i cant even put augs in it so yea.

Rozart

Hah. I actually enjoy the alien sudoku. Even the big ones.

Is there a storage box somewhere in the game where I can dump all my stuff in?

They should have just copied ME2 and 3 because what they came up with definitely isn't better. I also don't like the way they handle the inventory. I'm sure it was a lot simpler and more elegant in the old games. Why would they not have upgraded items just automatically replace the older ones? Why do I have to worry about my inventory limit when it comes to all the weapons and armor and mods I've found or created? That should all be stored separate of inventory.

Yup. Inventory management is a chore.

I mean, that's kind of the point. It's apples and oranges. Trying to apply stuff on a galaxy-wide scale to a singular star cluster doesn't make any sense, especially when Andromeda doesn't have a galaxy spanning relay network to make stuff that happened in Milky Way a reality.

I'd much rather they take the small steps approach they did here and open up galactic history as you explore more in future games than do what they did with the Mass Effect trilogy and be forced to flesh out details across 3 games because they bit off more than they could chew at the start and left so many critical world building elements absent.

But to directly answer your question there's a lot revealed about the Kett, who created the scourge, what the remnant are, and the origins of the Angara later on in the game. Do I think you'll like it? Probably not, as we seem to differ on what is the right path to world building.

All I can say is as a fan of the first Mass Effect I like what BioWare did for world building here, laying a foundation for the future while also leaving enough mystery and unanswered questions to provide more adventures later on.

Gator86

This is the kind of stuff I hope they focus on fixing. They can't fix a lot of the animation atrocities, but they can definitely tweak the UI and other game systems to make it smoother.

Can anyone confirm that starting a new game will still allow me to access the saves of the character that I just beat the game with? I don't want to mess up and erase that characters file.

Aspiring

So I just finished Eos with 80% viability. It seems though that I can't go further as its too toxic for me to progress. I'm guessing this all comes later?

I think one problem I have around this game and its characters is that everyone is a humanoid. Hanar and some of the other non-humanoid races never really felt vital to the plot but they helped sell the vision of a sci fi galaxy since not everyone was a humanoid. This game everything is humanoid, I mean sure it makes sense for the old races to be but the new ones too? That just feels completely lacking in imagination and general thought, oh and they all also use guns too. It just ruins my immersion because it doesn't feel realistic. I can't get behind the idea that these people traveled to a completely different galaxy that took over 600 years and upon arriving the dominate species in the area all walk upright and shoot things? I honestly just can't buy that I guess. It's not that the species aren't artistically designed but everything is based off human evolution in a galaxy that never had any other humanoid species until recently? I just don't buy that, I wanted to see strange and interesting new life forms like the hanar were in ME1 but you just don't get any of that in this game.

I think one problem I have around this game and its characters is that everyone is a humanoid. Hanar and some of the other non-humanoid races never really felt vital to the plot but they helped sell the vision of a sci fi galaxy since not everyone was a humanoid. This game everything is humanoid, I mean sure it makes sense for the old races to be but the new ones too? That just feels completely lacking in imagination and general thought, oh and they all also use guns too. It just ruins my immersion because it doesn't feel realistic. I can't get behind the idea that these people traveled to a completely different galaxy that took over 600 years and upon arriving the dominate species in the area all walk upright and shoot things? I honestly just can't buy that I guess. It's not that the species aren't artistically designed but everything is based off human evolution in a galaxy that never had any other humanoid species until recently? I just don't buy that, I wanted to see strange and interesting new life forms like the hanar were in ME1 but you just don't get any of that in this game.

Yeah, the familiarity with Andromedan (?) evolution and technology it does pull me out a bit. I mean the only reason the Alliance and other alien races were all sort of level was because of the Prothean relics right? They made a point right at the start of the game that the findings on Mars advanced human technology a few thousand years. Skip 2.5 million light years away, 600 years later and everything's basically the same.

I mean, that's kind of the point. It's apples and oranges. Trying to apply stuff on a galaxy-wide scale to a singular star cluster doesn't make any sense, especially when Andromeda doesn't have a galaxy spanning relay network to make stuff that happened in Milky Way a reality.

I'd much rather they take the small steps approach they did here and open up galactic history as you explore more in future games than do what they did with the Mass Effect trilogy and be forced to flesh out details across 3 games because they bit off more than they could chew at the start and left so many critical world building elements absent.

But to directly answer your question there's a lot revealed about the Kett, who created the scourge, what the remnant are, and the origins of the Angara later on in the game. Do I think you'll like it? Probably not, as we seem to differ on what is the right path to world building.

All I can say is as a fan of the first Mass Effect I like what BioWare did for world building here, laying a foundation for the future while also leaving enough mystery and unanswered questions to provide more adventures later on.

Fair enough. Thanks for your answer!

At least from what you've said, it does sound like I may not like the world building as much as you, but I'll try to keep an open mind. As it is, my initial impressions of MEA were largely middling with a slightly negative slant, but I've since turned around and really enjoyed the game. Hopefully my opinion on the world they've crafted will change too.

Yeah, the familiarity with Andromedan (?) evolution and technology it does pull me out a bit. I mean the only reason the Alliance and other alien races were all sort of level was because of the Prothean relics right? They made a point right at the start of the game that the findings on Mars advanced human technology a few thousand years. Skip 2.5 million light years away, 600 years later and everything's basically the same.

Right and the worlds you go to just feel like checking off a needed checklist of required levels in an action game. Desert world, ice world, jungle world, ect. It's completely lacking interesting or uniquely designed locations that you would expect to find.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I quite like the open planets, so far.

That being said I have a deep disdain for when people contest the notion of empty planetoids and negative space is the wrong direction for this franchise. As I noted in an earlier post, while I feel Andromeda does open environments fairly well, I don't feel it evokes an atmosphere of Mass Effect 1, though occasionally hits the ballpark.

Much of this is due to the emphasis of filling these open planetoids with stuff to do. Irrespective of the subjective quality of this content, or how much I'm enjoying them as is, it does deteriorate the sense of scale and wonder of discovery in the context of the setting.

I don't mind people having a preference that leans against negative space, seeing it as pointless and devoid of engaging game systems, but I'm so at odds with the vocal deterrence away from this kind of game design that it drives me batty. I'm fascinated by the ways in which designers can evoke emotion and immerse players into their worlds, convey themes and concepts, through interactivity. And I feel that with negative space, even if it's empty and "pointless", it can work wonders towards conveying the intended feeling.

There's a moment in the very original Mass Effect where you scan a planet, an anomaly is detected, you land in your Mako on this empty, aimless, dull green terrain. Illuminated with a bright blue sky you drive around in the absolute nothing to find your "anomaly", which is nothing more than a half buried Prothean pyramid to be activated for a whimsical paragraph of text.

It feels poignant. So much emptiness, loneliness, and nothingness, yet this tiny discovery of unique, hand tailored individuality no matter how small and simple to be found. Yes, you drive across stretches of "boring" terrain, with nothing to do and no real distinct visual stimuli. But I love that. That's a planetoid. It's huge and oppressive in its nothingness, its existence so romantically oblivious to your presence, stretches of dirt and dust and sky perhaps unseen by any sentient eye for millennia. And here you find this little fragment of something unnatural, something that is a sign of intelligence beyond your own, alone in this cosmos. It really feels like an uncharted world, and the sense of scale is magnificently conveyed because of the nothingness.

I wish Mass Effect would teeter back towards this kind of design. Yes, these hand tailored interactive moments are absolutely essential and part of the series strength. But here's the thing; if I have an objective to find and explore a crashed star ship, its interior neatly hand crafted and unique, make me work through the nothingness with my own agency to find it in the first place. Have me scan a random planet in a random system and my computer bleep with an anomaly detected. No specifics, unable to pinpoint the precise location, only that something unusual and odd and worth investigation is hereamidst stretches of snow or sand or primordial grass or whatever else. Have me land on this barren terrain, mountainous and stretched, the local radar picking up where the thing is but still not what it is or context. Let me roll over a snowy mountain to finally see in the middle of a vista a giant crashed starship half buried in the snow. And let me manually drive all the way up to it, through the nothingness, to breach the door and explore the hand crafted interior within.

This is what I want from Mass Effect, even if I know I'll never get it.

That being said I have a deep disdain for when people contest the notion of empty planetoids and negative space is the wrong direction for this franchise. As I noted in an earlier post, while I feel Andromeda does open environments fairly well, I don't feel it evokes an atmosphere of Mass Effect 1, though occasionally hits the ballpark.

Much of this is due to the emphasis of filling these open planetoids with stuff to do. Irrespective of the subjective quality of this content, or how much I'm enjoying them as is, it does deteriorate the sense of scale and wonder of discovery in the context of the setting.

I don't mind people having a preference that leans against negative space, seeing it as pointless and devoid of engaging game systems, but I'm so at odds with the vocal deterrence away from this kind of game design that it drives me batty. I'm fascinated by the ways in which designers can evoke emotion and immerse players into their worlds, convey themes and concepts, through interactivity. And I feel that with negative space, even if it's empty and "pointless", it can work wonders towards conveying the intended feeling.

There's a moment in the very original Mass Effect where you scan a planet, an anomaly is detected, you land in your Mako on this empty, aimless, dull green terrain. Illuminated with a bright blue sky you drive around in the absolute nothing to find your "anomaly", which is nothing more than a half buried Prothean pyramid to be activated for a whimsical paragraph of text.

It feels poignant. So much emptiness, loneliness, and nothingness, yet this tiny discovery of unique, hand tailored individuality no matter how small and simple to be found. Yes, you drive across stretches of "boring" terrain, with nothing to do and no real distinct visual stimuli. But I love that. That's a planetoid. It's huge and oppressive in its nothingness, its existence so romantically oblivious to your presence, stretches of dirt and dust and sky perhaps unseen by any sentient eye for millennia. And here you find this little fragment of something unnatural, something that is a sign of intelligence beyond your own, alone in this cosmos. It really feels like an uncharted world, and the sense of scale is magnificently conveyed because of the nothingness.

I wish Mass Effect would teeter back towards this kind of design. Yes, these hand tailored interactive moments are absolutely essential and part of the series strength. But here's the thing; if I have an objective to find and explore a crashed star ship, its interior neatly hand crafted and unique, make me work through the nothingness with my own agency to find it in the first place. Have me scan a random planet in a random system and my computer bleep with an anomaly detected. No specifics, unable to pinpoint the precise location, only that something unusual and odd and worth investigation is hereamidst stretches of snow or sand or primordial grass or whatever else. Have me land on this barren terrain, mountainous and stretched, the local radar picking up where the thing is but still not what it is or context. Let me roll over a snowy mountain to finally see in the middle of a vista a giant crashed starship half buried in the snow. And let me manually drive all the way up to it, through the nothingness, to breach the door and explore the hand crafted interior within.

I'm 100% in agreement. Not everything has to be, nor should it be, a theme park.

Grisby

I think its bugged out, the system does not have the object I need to interact with. Looking at a lets play right now and it looks like it should just be there and I should just goto it and start the mission. However in my game its just 4 planets and not the objective.

Bummer i guess i don't get to finish her loyalty mission.
That sucks dude. I'm prolly going to do her Loyalty deal tomorrow and now I'm afraid it'll get bugged.

Damn I'm still wondering if Vetra has anything tied to her quest wise because I'm on mission four (haven't went to the planet yet) and she's just been saying the same shit for the past 3 missions.

Vamphuntr

There's kind of one area in the game that is like what you want Eatchildren. Kind of because I won't spoil more but it's not filled with markers, kett bases and what not and outside of one thing the rest of the stuff to discover isn't on the map. It reminded me of ME1 a lot, the view too.

I enjoyed the game for what it is but I really have a deep aversion for bloat and time wasters and this game is really full of those which soured my opinion a lot.

Proc

Spent about 2 hours tonight. My initial impressions are positive. I like the dialogue and the story setup. Combat feels fine.

rjcc

I only just started the game...did they have to put every idea they ever had for a skill tree or weapons loadout into one game?

dankir

So I'm 6 hours in, just started exploring EOS, I really wanted to take my time and see and read everything.

I really love the fact that the game makes you feel like your exploring something completely new and amazing.

Visuals are pretty damn impressive, the glitches I've experienced so far are pretty funny, people with backward bending knees, giant hands, frozen bodies while they are chatting with me. Doesn't bother me too much hopefully it be fixed.

I am pretty dissapointed at how little customization there is with the character creator.

Not sure how I feel about the new galaxy map, all the 1st person stuff must be for loading? I wouldn't mind the old galaxy map exploration.

Quests, systems, R&D, profiles, Side Quests, FREAKING HUGE MAPS. I will enjoy it all but man the game does a bad job explaining things to you.

Combat is great so far though and had a lot of fun in MP today. But the mode will still be loading while my character is live in the game! Maybe because I've joined a game in progress but I must of died a few times as soon as I spawned because the match was live.

I'm hoping the first patch fixes all these things that should have been polished in the first place.

Feels good to be back in Mass Effect world though :)

C7uu5kSVwAEqkyj.jpg:large

So I've only heard a few voicemails from Liara in Scott's father's quarters. Anybody else from the first game appear in some form? Just a yes or no, no need for details.

Grisby

So I've only heard a few voicemails from Liara in Scott's father's quarters. Anybody else from the first game appear in some form? Just a yes or no, no need for details.
As far as I am,
no.
But I have
had a conversation where Cora, my best buddy, talked to our new Krogan teammate Drack about fighting in the Rachni wars.
Was a cool mention.

Well put. That's exactly what I loved about the original Mass Effect. Space is empty, really fucking empty, and I feel ME captured that feeling quite well. Obviously not as realistic as exploring Elite Dangerous, where I can spend days, even weeks, just hopping between systems and discovering planets. I don't need aliens, or quests, or anything like that. Just setting my rover down on an ice moon, knowing there's literally no one around for hundreds of light years is pretty immersive. It's not for everyone though, as I can well understand.

HariKari

Using SLI, getting really low usage on the second card, leading the first one to run pretty hot. Has caused some crashes. Anyone have or solve this problem? Messed around with fans plenty.

Mifune

Mehmber
I think Havarl is my favorite planet so far. So far every quest I've done there has been worthwhile and I like not having to drive around to find stuff.

This describes how I feel about Mass Effect more eloquently than I could ever put it

Van Bur3n

Question about this remnant place you come across on a side quest on Eos:

During The Ghost of Promise quest you find the final log in this Remnant place and open up another door inside to find a Destroyer and a loot container. There is this wall you can scan with a description "in the correct circumstances this "wall" may function as a motion-activated door" and SAM is telling me to scan something as well. I've looked around and I see jack shit, but I know there has to be more to this place because there is another gravity well in the area that isn't the one I came down on. Is this related to another quest later on I have to come back to like a lot of times in this game?

EDIT: Nevermind. That gravity well is just the one at the very bottom of the place that leads back to the entrance. Not a new one. Still an odd that SAM is telling me to scan something when there isn't anything.

Madness

This has been one of the most awkward games to play with friends. Does no one else join? Just too hard with two people. The enemies are also ridiculous with the cheese and swarm this game. Randomly behind you with camoflage etc.

Meowster

It is so jarring how the facial textures can be incredible at one minute and hideous the next. I'm assuming this has to do with lighting? I don't think the faces are as bad as people making them out to be. It's the shadows (or lack thereof) messing it all up.

Top Bottom