• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Finished.

The game is pretty solid. I'd put it ahead of base ME3 (I haven't played the DLC) and a bit behind ME2. The game reminds me a lot of what I liked about ME1, my favorite ME game. The focus on exploring and tasks other than just fighting the big bad was pretty welcome, even if we ended up fighting a big bad.

Biggest thing with the game for me is that I feel like it's a lot of wasted potential. Considering they had a colonization setup with the story, just going with the standard open-world gameplay felt uninspired. Taking advantage of the setting would have been way more interesting. Doing something like Dark Cloud and allowing you to shape outposts directly by laying it out as you like while you meeting requirements they have would have been amazing. It'd go a long way in breaking up all the running around you do and it'd get closer to making you feel like you're actually colonizing a place.

Story was OK but felt like they were really were trying to setup another ME trilogy with how obvious some of the elements match-up. The Angarans were OK too but I was a little disappointed it's basically another Turian and Quarian style humanoid and invoked the aliens from Avatar. I'm interested enough in seeing where the story goes though so I guess it did its job, heh.

Characters seemed kind of bland at the start but the more I got into the game, the more I felt they were pretty good. They're a lot more low-key than the cast of the previous ME games for sure though. Drack is most definitely the best of the bunch. I thought he was just gonna be another Krogan when he first shows up but he definitely isn't at all. I might actually like him more than I do Wrex.

I'd say Peebee and Liam are the worst, even factoring in the NPCs. I don't know what they really aiming for with Peebee and Liam is just a straight up hot mess. They both had really awesome Loyalty missions though.
Drack is definitely at the top of my list. I was never a huge Wrex fan, and Grunt was nothing to me. I assumed Drack would be the same old Korgan, but I ended up really loving him.

Liam and Cora were the worst for me. Liam has the worst line delivery, and like Cora, is very one note. They remind me of the person who goes to India for a month, and then never stops talking about it. "Back in HUSTL, we just kept moving from crisis to crisis..." "I used to be an asari huntress guys.... GUYS!"

I want an immersive Sci-Fi story with great characters that takes itself seriously.

Mass Effect was based on 70s/80s Sci-Fi. You thought it took itself seriously? The game had a film grain option. The boss of ME2 was a giant metal baby. You had a party member that was versed in alt-universe Gilbert and Sullivan. Hell, the very fact that you could have sex with aliens was meant for laughs instead of the fanwank pandering that it is now. Did you even play the Citadel DLC?

Is your bar for "taking itself seriously" set at "no jokes" or something? Are you upset that Ryder was funny?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have over 2000 Kett(?) research points. Not sure what to do with it since nothing seems interesting so far armorwise for a vanguard. Is there any guns worth it?

MaxiLive

I'm on my 4th planet now and I jsut feel overwhelmed by the game there are so many quests happening all over the place and many of the base gameplay elements haven't been explained very well or I totally missed it. I have no idea how to easily get resources! I have a ton of Research/development points but like zero copper and a couple hundred of a nother resource.

Is it just a case of going around in the Mako an mining? I haven't been back to Eos since the start as the radiation was too high so I was expecting to unlock some armor that would have better life support but I haven;'t seen anything to cover that.

I've been struggling with the side quests as most of them have been incredibly boring with 1-2 rather good stand out ones! The amount of travelling between different planets to complete some of these side quests are super tedious.

As for the main story I believe I'm still rather early on and as it has been chucking my goal left right and centre I almost couldn't care less about the people/aliens I'm running into as they are blocking my base goal of making a home rather than helping it. Now my next few quests are about earning trust from some rather apparently weak alien race, can't we just kill them instead and help the Kett :p Guessing it will be a lot quicker!

With the game being so split for me at the moment I've struggled to interact with my crew as well as most missions I've been forced to take someone else or the story is revolving around people I've just met.

That said I am enjoying the gameplay and I'm looking forward to gaining more control over my quest so I can pick and choose what to do without the need of the urgency of helping randomers at every corner. Hopefully the story mission slows down a bit so I can backtrack to the other planets again at the moment I've been following that as it seems like it is still setting the scene.

Lime

Mass Effect was based on 70s/80s Sci-Fi. You thought it took itself seriously? The game had a film grain option. The boss of ME2 was a giant metal baby. Hell, the very fact that you could have sex with aliens was meant for laughs instead of the fanwank pandering that it is now.

To be fair, the tone in ME1 is actually pretty serious without much humor. It might not take itself too seriously, but it does approach its themes and premises in a very honest and upright manner. Not a lot of jokes either (except for Joker's quipping).

Madness

To be fair, the tone in ME1 is actually pretty serious without much humor. It might not take itself too seriously, but it does approach its themes and premises in a very honest and upright manner. Not a lot of jokes either (except for Joker's quipping).

I was blown away when I got to Ilos and you see the Prothean statues and the VI and the pods and learn what the last Protheans did to the Keepers and the Citadel before they starved to death. ME1 had a story and atmosphere that blew me away. That first talk with Sovereign etc. Touching on your earlier point, I feel story has a big part of it as well. ME1 you literally are told humanity found Prothean relics on Mars, used it to boost themselves rapidly forward. Were new to the Citadel. Shepard is first human Spectre with a new ship with Stealth technology and Turian design. You felt like an explorer. The vastness of space was open to you. Where Andromeda falls flat is having Hyperion connect to the Nexus so quick, because you lose that sense of coming out of 600 year sleep, the Golden World didn't pan out, Alec dies. I would have preferred we go to Eos right after Habitat 7, and there is nothing there initially. No salvagers. Just the empty colony, we find the Nomad, we only run into PeeBee just before the lake etc. And then after we terraform we are then contacted by a Nexus signal and we go to investigate the empty station etc.

Maledict

Mass Effect was based on 70s/80s Sci-Fi. You thought it took itself seriously? The game had a film grain option. The boss of ME2 was a giant metal baby. You had a party member that was versed in alt-universe Gilbert and Sullivan. Hell, the very fact that you could have sex with aliens was meant for laughs instead of the fanwank pandering that it is now. Did you even play the Citadel DLC?

Is your bar for "taking itself seriously" set at "no jokes" or something? Are you upset that Ryder was funny?

Yes, Mass Effect took it self seriously. There were light moments throughout the games, but the games took their premise incredibly seriously. I don't know how anyone could say otherwise. The end boss of ME2 wasn't a giant metal baby either, it was effectively a giant terminator. And you fought it just after you got to watch some of your crew being disintegrated in front of you and after probably seeing numerous crew members die and giving a 'Hold the line speech' where you leave your squads to fight off alien attackers with the possibility they might all die.

And yes, Gilbert and Sullivan is sung - as a light hearted piece of character depth. That's then repeated by said character as he kills himself to reverse a genocidal plague that he inflicted on another species. Citedal was a mighty piece tonally than the rest of the series because it was a thank you from the debts to the fans after the disaster that was the original ending - it is noticeably different than the rest of the series.

Mass Effect might be pulpy, but that doesn't mean it's not serious. It has a dark tone throughout the series, is one of the few RPGs in existence that allows you to repeatedly chose to kill your squad mates, and deals with the deaths of billions of people.

nOoblet16

Isharay is godlike

Thing is a beast, too bad for the low clip capacity. Wonder if I will be able to find some mod/aug.

You won't be able to increase the clip size of that gun because even 50%+ clip means it's still not enough for it to double. You basically need 100% clip bonus or close to it to even get 2 shots. I used that sniper for the first half of the game but the DPS is too damn low with the reloading, the Black Widow is a MUCH superior option as it gets you almost 70-80% of the damage but with 3-4 bullets in the clip...it also sounds better.

Mix it up with the Maverick armour set+some damage mods+Explorer profile+Cloak and you get a really really ridiculous amount of headshot damage. Explorer profile because it increases the base damage of the gun on which the headshot bonus works upon, Infiltrator only increases headshot bonus but since the base damage is lower the bonus you get is smaller as well. Solider profile will give you the most damage but it means your biotics (if you use them) will suffer, Explorer on the other hand is a mix of both.

You won't be able to increase the clip size of that gun because even 50%+ clip means it's still not enough for it to double. You basically need 100% clip bonus or close to it to even get 2 shots. I used that sniper for the first half of the game but the DPS is too damn low with the reloading, the Black Widow is a MUCH superior option as it gets you almost 70-80% of the damage but with 3-4 bullets in the clip...it also sounds better.

Mix it up with the Maverick armour set+some damage mods+Explorer profile+Cloak and you get a really really ridiculous amount of headshot damage. Explorer profile because it increases the base damage of the gun on which the headshot bonus works upon, Infiltrator only increases headshot bonus but since the base damage is lower the bonus you get is smaller as well. Solider profile will give you the most damage but it means your biotics (if you use them) will suffer, Explorer on the other hand is a mix of both.

Wait, isn't Black Widow only has 1 clip? Viper has 4, iirc.

Without hyperbole the worst quest journal and waypoint system I have ever seen.

someone needs to make a definitive list of everything the previous games managed to get right that this one gets wrong. i mean, how do you 'forget' how to do something correctly? :) ...

pmj

I have a question for someone who has finished Liam's mission:

What's supposed to happen after you have killed Calot (the boss on the ship) and his goons? I appear to be stuck in the room. No exits, no dialogue, no objective markers. I thought it was a bug and loaded a savegame and did the fight again, with the same result, so maybe I'm just missing something.

While I was enjoying the game initially, the open world is starting to get to me. The ice planet is not fun at all.

Also, the characters are not bad so far. I ever prefer a few of them over some from the original trilogy.

nOoblet16

I have a question for someone who has finished Liam's mission:

What's supposed to happen after you have killed Calot (the boss on the ship) and his goons? I appear to be stuck in the room. No exits, no dialogue, no objective markers. I thought it was a bug and loaded a savegame and did the fight again, with the same result, so maybe I'm just missing something.

You have to go one floor above from a door that opens to access a console.

nOoblet16

I can't find any doors aside from the one I came in through. It's the arena room with the big blue planet holographic map, where the big fight takes place.

Picture of the room?
If it's the very last room then there should be a door to the side where you can jump over boxes to go high up.

bati

Are the loot boxes from APEX missions and supply caches that you find on planets supposed to be saved until you're lvl 30+ so that generated loot is tier 5?

Zakalwe

Banned
How do you mine while driving the Nomad?

I get the icon showing me the area has resources (flashing node top left), but when I hit R1 to launch the probe it tells me there's nothing to mine.

I have to drive around spamming R1 until I hit the exact location... is this how it's supposed to work or am I missing something?

nOoblet16

How do you mine while driving the Nomad?

I get the icon showing me the area has resources (flashing node top left), but when I hit R1 to launch the probe it tells me there's nothing to mine.

I have to drive around spamming R1 until I hit the exact location... is this how it's supposed to work or am I missing something?

No, the icon on the right will show you the likelihood of finding minerals in the area you are in i.e. Rich, Good, Poor. When it does you press left on the DPAD and it'll show a graph that tells you what you can find in how much quantity. When the graph lines turn white that means that's the max you can get in that area and thi sis when you press R1.

pmj

Picture of the room?
If it's the very last room then there should be a door to the side where you can jump over boxes to go high up.
Here it is. Attempting to spoiler tag an image that's also quoted...
pJ4YXQy.jpg

I'm about 15 hours in now and I am enjoying it now I have gotten over the goofy character models. It is a decent game but it still doesn't feel like a AAA game that I would expect Mass Effect to be. So many things feel half baked and make it feel like it was made by a B Tier dev. Despite all that now things have opened up I am enjoying exploring and where the story line is going.

I'm still gutted it has these flaws, still can't wrap my head around how they messed the character models up so much. Should note I have gone with default Sara Ryder, not sure if Scott's model is any better. I tried to make my own Sara when I started but after nearly an hour of playing with sliders to try and make a character she always ended up looking goofy and weird so I gave up and went with the default Sara Ryder.

Zakalwe

Banned
No, the icon on the right will show you the likelihood of finding minerals in the area you are in i.e. Rich, Good, Poor. When it does you press left on the DPAD and it'll show a graph that tells you what you can find in how much quantity. When the graph lines turn white that means that's the max you can get in that area and thi sis when you press R1.

Got it, wasn't paying attention to the squiggly lines.

Thanks man.

grimmiq

This is more an EA/Origin problem.

I have an Origin account that I use rarely, handful of games bought on it. My PS4 for some reason links to an account I used a long time ago (I'm guessing it was linked to BF BC2/BF3 on PS3 or something? Mostly irrelevant). I can't remember the password to this email address, though I remember the Origin password.

Can I merge these 2 accounts in any way, or change the account my PSN is linked to?

EDIT: Since I had no purchases, I had EA delete the linked account. Multiplayer/strike progress was lost, as was my uploaded custom Ryders..which I really did like and will be a pain to try to recreate.. But I hadn't touched multiplayer, and I took some stupid risks and got a couple of negative traits on 2 teams so no real loss. Much happier knowing my actual PC account is now linked to the same as my PSN.

pmj

Ok you activated the console behind the big globe?
If it isn't working then it's glitched I guess for you, try loading a slightly earlier save

There isn't any console to activate that I can see. It appears that I'll be forced to play the whole mission again, because my earliest autosave is right before the boss fight.

Edit: Actually, it's now AFTER the fight due to it autosaving after the fight is done and having a limited number of autosaves that the game keeps replacing. And of course no manual saves. Fuck.

Edit 2: Worked as intended on my second playthrough of the whole mission.

100% on EOS. Loved the
Architect
and
Kett Base
Encounters.

100% on Havarl
Done the 1st mission on Voeld (wasn't expecting that in the story)

X-Frame

I have over 2000 Kett(?) research points. Not sure what to do with it since nothing seems interesting so far armorwise for a vanguard. Is there any guns worth it?

Have you made a Dhan Shotgun yet? I'd seriously recommend crafting the highest level one you have now, slap on a Double Mod slot augmentation, either the Vintage Heat Sink or the Bio-Converter augmentation, and some Kinetic Coils for more gun damage. The Dhan does over 1,000 damage a shot.

For Armor the Milky Way N7 or Hyperguardian seek the best for Vanguards.

I also crafted the Heleus Pistol "Ushior" which is a low clip size but high high damage Pistol, basically a light mini-sniper.

Lister

Banned
I'm done with this game, and I'm probably done with Bioware.

I have no idea how some of you can actually praise anything about it. It truly boggles the mind.

From the bugs: being stuck under things, over things, around things, quests being bugged, the UI being bugged, the animations being bugged, it's to the point where i'm waiting for the next place the game is going to blow up on me.

Performance is very uneven, in the first jungle planet I can be hitting 60 one second and then go down to 35 looking at a wall and a fern. And it's not like it's warranted. The jungle planet looks like a level out of ME2. In the graphics department too this game utterly inconsistent, with some levels and characters looking pretty good, even inspired, and some looking amateurish, really. None of the levels appear to be using modern techniques for developing convincing and interesting looking open areas. The effects works is sloppy, with a terrible blur effect over everything and post processing that drifts from where it's supposed to be as the camera moves. The lighting can be horribly flat, lacking in volumetric effects and with no sense of global illumination subtle of otherwise. It's often badly placed and overblown, so as to make mediocre or even some fo the truly horrible looking models look even worse! That first jungle world made me feel like I was playing a mod for ME3.

I could possibly overlook the above if the game featured some decent player driven narrative agency, but that's mostly gone, excep for maybe 2 token choices in the entire story. The lack of narrative agency is a huge blow to me, especially coming from not just Bioware games of old, but games like Pillars of Eternity and Divnity: Original Sin. It's what made these types of game stand out form the mediocre AAA action/adventure tropes that we get from big publishers ALL THE TIME.

But, ok, surely the writing and story were elevated to new levels, SURELY. I mean the budget sure as hell didn't go into the graphics engine, this game often looks and runs worse than the Battlefield games and even Dragon Age Inquisition. So SURELY, the story is something epic and the dialogue is inspired and draws you into the characters! 'cause the budget wasn't sure as hell spent in level design, or character design, or animations or UI design. It also wasn't spent in making the story reactive to player choice or in recognizable, or even very good (with maybe one or two exceptions), voice acting talent.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I realy couldn't keep a straight face through that last paragraph, I don't think anyone could.

No, the dialogue is sophomoric. From the awkwardness, the weird non-sequitors and sometimes just incomprehensible phrasing, to the often stilted delivery by the voice actors (and sometimes it's clearly not due to lack of effort on their part). No the dialogue, the writing overall is some of the worst I've had the displeasure of sitting through in any game with anything approximating this level of budget.

I can't stomach another ridiculous, cringe inducing phrase. Another line that treats me like a 10 year old in it's ham-fistedness, or that describes the obvious, or describes nothign of what's actually happening. That tortures me with characters that act like hormone crazed, super awkward 13 year olds. That fails to engage me in any intellectual or emotional level. I spent more time laughing AT the game and it's characters than giving a damn about any of them. I don't care about the Kett, I sure hell don't care about the Angara. I don't care about this crew or this world.

This game is an utter failure from the stand point of being a Mass Effect sequel. I guess from the stand point of being a dude-bro, low brow, third person shooter, cliched as hell, action adventure game and scanning simulator, it's.... serviceable, I guess?

I can't fathom why anyone would suffer through all the rest just to get at the sometimes ok, sometimes dull, very occasionally cool combat.

I'm done with Bioware. Good luck in the future with whatever you call this type of game.

Starfield

I have a bug where after completing the main story it's quest still shows up in my journal and whenever I spawn back in the game there is a brief moment where the game is glitched and I can use my powers and guns inside the Tempest lol

MAX PAYMENT

I'm done with this game, and I'm probably done with Bioware.

I have no idea how some of you can actually praise naythign abotu this game. It boggles the mind.

From the bugs, being stuck under things, over things, around things, quests being bugged, the UI being bugged, the animations being bugged, it's to the point where i'm waiting fo rthe next place the game is going to blow up on me.

Performance is very uneven, in the first jungle planet I can be hitting 60 one second and then go down to 35 looking at a wall and a fern. And it's not like it's warranted. The jungle planet looks like a level out of ME2. Here too it is utterly inconsistent, with some levels and characters looking pretty good and some looking amateurish, really. Nothign is using modern techniques for developing convincing and interesting looking open areas. The effects works is sloppy, with a terrible blur effect over eveything and post processing that drifts as the camera moves. The lighting can be horribly flat, lacking in volumetric effects and no sense of global illumination subtle of otherwise. It's often badly placed and overblown, so as to make mediocre or even horrible looking models even worse! That first jungle world made me feel like I was playing a mod for ME3.

I could possibly overlook the above if the game feature some decent player driven narrative agency, but that's mostly gone, excep for maybe 2 token choices in the entire story. The lack of narrative agency is a huge blow to me, especially coming from not just Bioware game sof old, but games like, Pillars of Eternity. It's what made these types of game stand out form the mediocre AAA action/adventure tropes that we get from big publishers ALL THE TIME.

But, ok, surely the writing and story were elevated to new levels, SURELY. I mean the budget sure as hell didn't go into the graphics engine, this game often looks and runs worse than the Battlefield games and even Dragon Age Inquisition. SURELY the story is some epic and the dialogue is inspired and draws you into the characters! 'cause the budget wasn't spent in level design, or character design, or animations. It also wasn't spent in making the story reactive to player choice or in recognizable (or even very good - with maybe 1 or two exceptions) voice acting talent.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I realy can't keep a straight face through that paragraph, I don't think anyone could.

No, the dialogue is sophomoric. From the awkwardness, the weird non-sequitors and sometimes just incomprehensible phrasing, to the often stilted delivery by the voice actors (and sometimes it's clearly not due to lakc fo effort on their part), no the dialogue, the writing overall is some fo the worst I've had the mispleasure of sitting through in any game with anything approximating this level of budget.

I can't stomach another ridiculous, cringe inducing phrase. Another line that treats me like a 10 year old in it's ham-fistedness, or that describes the obvious, or describes nothign of what's actually happening. That tortures me with characters that act like hormone crazed, super awkward 13 year olds. That fails to engage me or in any intellectual or emotional level. I spent more time laughing AT the game and it's characters than giving a dmanabotu any of them.

I don't care about the Kett, I sure hell don't care about the Angara. I don't care about this crew or this world.

This game is anutter failure from the stand point of being a Mass Effect sequel. I guess from the stand point of being a dude-bro, low brow, third person shooter, cliched as hell, action adventure game and scannign simulator, it's.... serviceable, I guess?

I can't fathom why anyone would suffer through all the rest just to get at the sometimes ok, sometimes dull, very occasionally cool combat.

I'm done with Bioware. good luck in the future with whatever you call this type of game.

Damn. I have had hardly any of these problems. I'm enjoying the game.
This game had a 50 million dollar budfet, while witcher had 81. Maybe 50 is kind of light for a game like this.

edgefusion

Has anyone done the quest "Life on the Frontier: Investigate space attacks on Nexus ships", given by
Sid on the Operations Deck
. It sends me back and forth between the docking bay and the operations deck with no other clues, not sure what it wants me to do.

Lime

Why is there so little diversity in NPCs? Turians are one solid color, Asari all have Lexi faces, the Salarians are identical. I honestly do not understand. Don't they have character modellers and texture artists who worked the last 5 years? Where did all the work and effort go into when they ship one single Asari face, one Salarian face, etc.?

I'm honestly flabbergasted. It's like an Early Access product with placeholder models.

Aspiring

Why is there so little diversity in NPCs? Turians are one solid color, Asari all have Lexi faces, the Salarians are identical. I honestly do not understand. Don't they have character modellers and texture artists who worked the last 5 years? Where did all the work and effort go into when they ship one single Asari face, one Salarian face, etc.?

I'm honestly flabbergasted. It's like an Early Access product with placeholder models.

Haha that reminds me, I swear Jian Garson and Addison are the same person. I was and still am utterly shocked at how Bioware made them next to identical and thought that was ok.

CSJ

Thing is a beast, too bad for the low clip capacity. Wonder if I will be able to find some mod/aug.

I used a bio-converter (or whatever it's called )when I made mine.
Basically it refills the clip instantly when it's out of ammo for 5% of your life.

To offset this, in the Tech Tree I have Team support maxed with the last option as Life Support. Basically any time I use any tech skill, it will kick in health regen in and out of combat.

So I can basically keep sniping, with the highest single shot weapon in the game, without reloading and keeping my health topped up. I don't really use it much, mostly for openers and the bastards far away.

Matush

Thanks for the tips.

They should've just copied these stuff from earlier games. DA:I got the quest journal way better than this.

From the look of everything, it's pretty clear that the game was developed by different people. And it seems that Andromeda team didn't get the access to Inquisition team's formula, or couldn't. There's so many problems that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Dany

Banned
Do i ever go back to voeld for a main mission? already ahve it at 95% viability but have loads of side missions available their now.

-NeoTB1-

>20 hours in now and still really enjoying myself, warts and all. I'm not sold on most of the party members yet, but hoping they leave more of an impression on me as the game continues. At least their email communications are amusing (probably the only time I like Liam).

I'm pretty early in the game but I'm disliking how there's a lack of animation in a lot of conversations or it doesn't match up. A character might be screaming or crying but their face is like this standard expression that totally doesn't match the tone of the vocals. The body language doesn't match up a lot of times either. It reminds me a lot of how Bethesda games are where people just kinda wobble back and forth when they talk and don't really have animations to match the emotions in the vocals.

Catdaddy

OK.... Is it just me or is the waypoint / quest-marker system THE WORST?

It is terrible, and as someone mentioned coming out of Horizon makes it seem even worse. Don’t know how many times I’ve had to open the map to verify the waypoint and drive/run a short distance open it again only to realize I’m going in the wrong direction. And yes, the quest log leaves something to be desired.

All in all though, I’m enjoying the game – I almost shelved it between the first two planets, but as I got further into the ice planet I started to enjoy it more. I do notice a lot of bugs but nothing game breaking. The quest log is getting overwhelming, but I’ve learned to only finish the ones I care about. Drack and Peebee are my go to squad members and honestly the only ones I really like, their bantering on missions is pretty fun. Most of the other squad members are meh.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Yeah, i'm a bit disappointed by that too. At least Bioware took the time to make almost each major race aliens look different in the trilogy, especially how every Asaris had a different face.

Top Bottom