• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

I mean most RPG's don't "respect your time" most side quests in them are exactly that. Side quests. Tertiary optional objectives you can do or not do. You can make good progress onost priority ops in 2-3 hours.

Source: I play for that long a day.

Shoeless

this game is absolutely killing the way I play games which is to do everything possible in an area before moving on. Its really bugging me you cant complete everything on eos before moving on

I think this is BioWare's way of gently pushing the player out of Eos so they can "Get out of the Hinterlands," a la DA:I since one complaint that the completionists had was you could spend a ridiculous number of hours in just that first area, doing all the side-quests.

I think this is BioWare's way of gently pushing the player out of Eos so they can "Get out of the Hinterlands," a la DA:I since one complaint that the completionists had was you could spend a ridiculous number of hours in just that first area, doing all the side-quests.

I understand...I was one of those people who spent an enormous amount of hours there haha

UncleMeat

Phew, 79 hours later with 97% completion and I beaten the game on Insanity. What a ride, can't wait to see what the story DLC will be but given the certain nods throughout the game and the epilogue I think it's fairly obvious where they'll go.

My only complaint with the game is that beyond the beginning and the end of the game there was very little pronounced music, and what little planet music there was happened to be very subdued. Something easily fixable in the next game. But I enjoyed a lot of the main themes.

Now I've got an empty void in my life that can only be satisfied by waiting for another new BioWare game.

My opinion could change over time but for now my game rankings are:

1. Mass Effect 1
2. Mass Effect 3/Andromeda
3. Mass Effect 2

Ya the lack of music is really disappointing me. I could tell where someone is in Witcher 3 just by hearing the music, it's one of the coolest aspects of the game; I just can't believe the planets don't have any theme music when you're driving around.

aliengmr

So since I finished this I've been playing ME3 again mostly because I want to play the DLCs as I never played them and lost my save somewhere. And God...why are people complaining about writing in Andromeda being bad compared to "older games" when ME3 exists? And Kai Leng...lol

ME1 is the best written Mass Effect game from start to finish including the codex, everything else is more or less on par with each other.

Saying ME:A is worse, in any aspect, than the previous games is hyperbolic bullshit. DA:I has far worse animation and the main plot of ME3 was entirely contrived. ME:A has its issues for sure, but it's far from the disaster people claim it is.

Vamphuntr

I mean most RPG's don't "respect your time" most side quests in them are exactly that. Side quests. Tertiary optional objectives you can do or not do. You can make good progress onost priority ops in 2-3 hours.

I really disagree with this. It's all a matter of how they are done and how rewarding they are. Here you they make you travel around worlds and driving around just for the sake of making it longer, it's not really exciting. Go clear this copy pasted kett camp here and scan this, go to the other planet and do the same thing. The writing in these quests are often minimal and the outcome pointless. You don't get good rewards either most of the time it's a bit of XP and Viability points so you are more or less wasting your time. It's not like you get game changing items or new abilities. Considering the amount of bloat in MEA I consider it doesn't respect your time much. They've made sure to design the quests and open world maps so it takes as much time as possible to do them.

If it lead to good writing or rewards it would be different. Inquisition was like this too.

I'm playing as Bro Ryder
Does sis ever wake up and join the squad or what?

SPOILERS
She wakes up near the end. She doesn't join you. You play with her for a little while

Shoeless

I understand...I was one of those people who spent an enormous amount of hours there haha

To be fair, this was me too. So I had a similar complaint as you, thinking, "Why am I being forced to leave? When I was in the Hinterlands, I could stay here for hou... ohhhhhhhh... Okay, fine, I get it, I'm outta' here. You win this round, BioWare..."

SPOILERS
She wakes up near the end. She doesn't join you. You play with her for a little while
Well then......
I sure hope they fix that with dlc, I put some time creating her and they seemed to have dropped the ball not having your sister being part of the team since the start.

Maybe modern day Bethesda and Bioware games, but I don't think I agree with it being the norm for "most RPG's" at all.

MartyStu

Saying ME:A is worse, in any aspect, than the previous games is hyperbolic bullshit. DA:I has far worse animation and the main plot of ME3 was entirely contrived. ME:A has its issues for sure, but it's far from the disaster people claim it is.

Huh? That is a pretty bold statement. Did you mean 'worst' because even though that is also not true, but I can understand it.

Peroroncino

I am Pathfinder! RAH BAH BAH! feat. some of my combat montage, I really love what they've done with the combat in Andromeda, the verticality is an amazing addition, jump jet is awesome, weapons pack a punch and you can feel it. If only animations and dialogues were better this could've been the best Mass Effect to date. But still, I'm having a lot of fun despite its flaws, so I guess there's that.

Oh, and Drack is the best krogan ever, the best.

Ya the lack of music is really disappointing me. I could tell where someone is in Witcher 3 just by hearing the music, it's one of the coolest aspects of the game; I just can't believe the planets don't have any theme music when you're driving around.

Bioware did the same shit with DA:I; you can wander around for hours in many of those zones and hear very little to no music. I seem to remember seeing an interview with an audio lead on that game (or maybe it was ME3) saying something about how most films/tv shows only have music playing like less than 50% of the time. It was quite a while since I saw that, but I think he was trying to use this as justification for games not needing background music much of the time. I disagreed then and the lack of music here is one of my biggest qualms with Andromeda. The game just feels lifeless a lot of the time compared to its predecessors.

Bug of the day, from one of the early memories from Dad Ryder.

It was a memory of mom, sis, and me, after mom got sick. But the image and voice for the sister didn't load, so about 1/3 of the memory was dad staring at empty space.

Peroroncino

It was a memory of mom, sis, and me, after mom got sick. But the image and voice for the sister didn't load, so about 1/3 of the memory was dad staring at empty space.

I had that too! Weird as fuck. At first I was thinking something's wrong, that Ryder's gonna mention it after the memory plays out, but noooope, nothing.

Tovarisc

1st playthrough is done, was very enjoyable ride. No matter what haters say this is Mass Effect game and experience, even with its all issues and bugs.

masseffectandromeda_2tfupr.png

UncleMeat

Had that too. Hilarious since
half the message was talking about how the Ryder clan never gets together anymore.

aliengmr

Huh? That is a pretty bold statement. Did you mean 'worst' because even though that is also not true, but I can understand it.

Saying that it has the worst animation of all their games is false and hyperbolic. Saying it has the worst writing, completely ignores that, outside of the subplots, ME3 was tossed together the last minute.

So claiming that it is somehow a giant step back, is hyperbolic bullshit. It does some things better and other things just average.

Considering how low the bar is for BioWare, this isn't saying that ME:A is the best, just that it isn't any worse than previous games.

Vamphuntr

Idling? Nah. XP gains slowdown as content dries up and I didn't farm XP from those "hotspots" that spawn enemies 24/7. Just poked around a lot and took my time with environments.

I had no idea you could farm XP either. Seems pretty pointless as levels in this is more about skills point and crafting restriction and you probably have all the skills you want halfway through. I liked pretty much every build is viable since in each tree some skills can have an upgrade path to deal shield or armor damage. I maxed biotics then put some points in combat.

Madness

Saying that it has the worst animation of all their games is false and hyperbolic. Saying it has the worst writing, completely ignores that, outside of the subplots, ME3 was tossed together the last minute.

So claiming that it is somehow a giant step back, is hyperbolic bullshit. It does some things better and other things just average.

Considering how low the bar is for BioWare, this isn't saying that ME:A is the best, just that it isn't any worse than previous games.

It is also ten years since the launch of the first one and on more capable hardware. What does that tell you that people have issues with the animations, assets, cinematics. It was also in development as long as the time fron ME1 launch to ME3 launch. You have your opinion, others have theirs.

It has very shoddy cinematics and animations for the year it has released. Not hyperbolic at all.

Tovarisc

I had no idea you could farm XP either. Seems pretty pointless as levels in this is more about skills point and crafting restriction and you probably have all the skills you want halfway through. I liked pretty much every build is viable since in each tree some skills can have an upgrade path to deal shield or armor damage. I maxed biotics then put some points in combat.

I found whole "Here is all these profiles you can swap freely and be anything you want!" build design pointless. Took most of the game feel like my "must have" active and passive skills for Infiltrator build were at competent level. If I were to water down it so I could do 2-3 other profiles decently I would have artificially made game harder by not being efficient in anything.

That said maybe I should have done that as I found game to be quite easy.

And I was playing on Insanity.

Just did the quest "High Noon" and was generally surprised that (Kadara questline spoilers)
Reyes is the Charlatan

Nice little twist and a pretty good quest to boot. I appreciated that there seemed to actually be multiple different outcomes based on your choices/interrupts. Kadara is definitely my favorite planet of the five.

ViciousDS

Banned
I found whole "Here is all these profiles you can swap freely and be anything you want!" build design pointless. Took most of the game feel like my "must have" active and passive skills for Infiltrator build were at competent level. If I were to water down it so I could do 2-3 other profiles decently I would have artificially made game harder by not being efficient in anything.

That said maybe I should have done that as I found game to be quite easy.

And I was playing on Insanity.

Favorites needed a better way for swapping then pulling up the wheel and switching. It takes away from the gameplay

Had that too. Hilarious since
half the message was talking about how the Ryder clan never gets together anymore.

Seriously, the first few seconds I thought dad was staring into space because his son was talking to him and I thought, "Man, this family really is a mess."

keenerz

Uh wow, so I went back to Eos to do something and the game froze upon entering dialogue with someone. So I restarted the game and rebooted the console twice and looks like that particular area is messed up cause the game freezes at loading.

Karu

After ten hours or so: Feels like a Bioware game alright, which is... fine? I was facing for the worst and maybe I even got that in writing etc., but when I take it all as a whole, the difference to their past few games feel negligible. So, if you're a fan of Mass Effect 2 & 3, go for it, I guess. With the right expectations in mind, this seems like a fun ride - maybe wait for a sale.

So far, though, the combat in regards to your companions is disappointing, though. Maybe I don't quite remember ME3 or have missed the proper options in Andromeda, but the flow of combining powers to more devastating effect on the battle field seems completely lost. While combat in itself is fine, it feels more like a one-man-army with some other guys randomly running around.

Mesharey

Did every mission in Kadara to get an outpost, but it's still saying "Talk to Reyes and Kadara Leaders" any idea?

The game's really good, it has issues but it's a lot of fun, reviews were kinda harsh on it.

Also, no idea what to lvl in biotecs and the other thing, I'm mostly playing it GoW style. <.<

Gabbelgak

Man, I finished the avenger assault rifle in multi-player today thinking the worst of the challenges wold be behind me. The I equipped the Zalkin. What in God's name was the thought process on this gun? In all my many years of shooters I don't know that I have ever wielded a weapon that is so utterly complete trash. I would do ballistic knife and riot shield call of duty challenges again over this thing.

Single shot, does virtually no damage (as soldier even full spec'd for weapon damage) can charge it to fire 3 shots at once that still do no damage. The charge function seems to make it so can't just pull the trigger quickly to fire. I'm going to just pray for a balance patch.

Stiler

Is the dialogue in the Nomad just completely random or something? Did they not plan it out?

I'm still on EOS with the first main mission, I have not met Peebee yet or anything. So I'm riding in the Nomad and then Liam/Cora start talking about Peebee as though we know her and everything....

Was just really really weird.

Vamphuntr

Did every mission in Kadara to get an outpost, but it's still saying "Talk to Reyes and Kadara Leaders" any idea?

The game's really good, it has issues but it's a lot of fun, reviews were kinda harsh on it.

Also, no idea what to lvl in biotecs and the other thing, I'm mostly playing it GoW style. <.<

I will put this in spoilers to be sure
SPOILERS
The end of this quest line is the duel between Reyes and Sloane. If you haven't seen this you still have stuff to do

Reviewers were given the game few days before release and it's not a good type of game to have to plow through quickly. Pretty much agree with all the complain related to the plot and gameplay though. On PC I haven't seen as much glitch and animation fail as in those videos.

sangreal

You can't complete kadara until after a story mission

but that's not the message you should see. did you talk to reyes and kadara leaders?

xealo

Hit the ending mission, and got through the epilogue. Obvious sequel hook aside with the way things are set up, I'm slightly disappointed by how when the game finally starts taking the main story into a proper higher gear is first at the very end. Those last two story missions were the best in the game imo.

It's been a very enjoyable game still, despite its flaws.

ViciousDS

Banned
why isn't there an adaptive helmet option?

Where the helmet is required it stays on, but where you in breathable or good habitats it remains off.

Didn't the old mass effects have an adaptive helmet? Where even in major conversations It would remain on if it was a combat or non habitable planet

Meowster

Did this scene load properly for anyone? I had the same thing happen.. I thought they were being facetious at first lol.

Top Bottom