• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

In regard to criticism of writing and animation, I've found it to be wildly inconsistent. You can go long stretches where everything's fine, and then a really bad line, or animation, or line reading comes along.

The only thing that's consistently bad in terms of animation is my default Scott Ryder's eyes. They are incredibly weird and creepy. Human eyes just don't look like that. Also his arms and hands and the way they move are pretty terrible too.

As for the writing, this game obviously had quite a few writers, and some are ok/good and some are awful. That line about 'his heart broke just before it exploded' has to be one of the worst I've ever heard. It's spectacularly bad. Worse than 'my face is tired'.

But I played a lot over the weekend and I barely noticed anything really egregious. I've most been pretty lucky with bugs and glitches too. I think I've only had one animation glitch so far in 20 hours on PC. The bug/glitch videos definitely don't create an accurate portrayal of the game. People obviously go out of their way to break the game and when they do they milk it for all it's worth.

Tovarisc

>20 hours in now and still really enjoying myself, warts and all. I'm not sold on most of the party members yet, but hoping they leave more of an impression on me as the game continues. At least their email communications are amusing (probably the only time I like Liam).

Drack is ultimate bro, something to keep in mind ;)

I'm playing this on the Xbox one and while it has issues I'm really enjoying it. Is it bad I've put more time into this game than horizon zero dawn?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
With everyone complaining about glitches, should I consider myself lucky that the only noticeable glitch I've seen is seeing double Drack, or teleporting from one room to another when engaging in conversation with squadmates right after
the main Voeld mission to rescue the Moshae?
, that and some rare (unintentional) invisible enemies?

nOoblet16

With everyone complaining about glitches, should I consider myself lucky that the only noticeable glitch I've seen is seeing double Drack, or teleporting from one room to another when engaging in conversation with squadmates right after

I guess.
I haven't had a single glitched quest in 66 hours. The only time I had a visual glitch was when I was doing this side mission and a few enemies became invisible, so I reloaded the save from a point just before the fight and it was ok.

Everything else was fine for me.

-NeoTB1-

Drack is ultimate bro, something to keep in mind ;)

Heh, yeah. He's actually my favorite party member right now. I already like him more than Wrex/Grunt.

I'm playing this on the Xbox one and while it has issues I'm really enjoying it. Is it bad I've put more time into this game than horizon zero dawn?

You're not the only one. Horizon is a great game (and the polish puts ME:A to shame), but for all of that I'm enjoying this game much more. It's a combination of things, really, but the main reason is probably the setting. I much prefer space over post-apocalyptic games.

So what does Annihilation do?

I currently have maxed out Charge and Shotgun as I wanted to actually do damage with guns.
I then put a few points in Annihilation but it doesnt appear to do much. Does anyone use it? If I am close enough can charge "combo" from annihilation?

Rellik

You're pretty lucky compared to me. I had to restart the game around 6 times in my first couple of hours. All because of glitches.

Dany

Banned
Game broke when I faced the Architect on Eos. I kept dying and reloading my last save would break the game. It wouldn't load the cut scene. It just froze.

Mess

I think it was a glitch but for a side quest on the nexus
Where there is a protest and you have to stop the protest. The Krogan character was dancing the entire time I was talking to him about how his family is in stasis and he is so sad

It was quite funny.

JeffG

It has some jank, but overall I like it. Better than 3, not as good as 2. Finished my first playthrough and started my second.

On the XBox I haven't hit any major issues. (I had one where had infinite kett, but reloaded the last save fixed it)

Question about primary mission path - So, after Eos
when you're prompted by the Angara to go to prove your loyalty by going to either Havarl or Voeld, does the mission on the planet you don't choose then become unavailable?

Tovarisc

Question about primary mission path - So, after Eos
when you're prompted by the Angara to go to prove your loyalty by going to either Havarl or Voeld, does the mission on the planet you don't choose then become unavailable?

You can do both and maybe even should before pushing critical path more.

Why is there so little diversity in NPCs? Turians are one solid color, Asari all have Lexi faces, the Salarians are identical. I honestly do not understand. Don't they have character modellers and texture artists who worked the last 5 years? Where did all the work and effort go into when they ship one single Asari face, one Salarian face, etc.?

I'm honestly flabbergasted. It's like an Early Access product with placeholder models.

Huh? Ive honestly be surprised at the difference between Turians. at least in skin colour.

Ul8g6lR.png

JMY86

Why is that bad? If you like a game play it, ignore the haters and shit posters and enjoy. I'm the same way as you, I like Horizon but I have put 3X more time into Mass Effect: Andromeda. I will get back to Horizon eventually but I think I am going to finish my first playthrough of Mass Effect today and jump into NG+ with Sara this time.

I currently have maxed out Charge and Shotgun as I wanted to actually do damage with guns.
I then put a few points in Annihilation but it doesnt appear to do much. Does anyone use it? If I am close enough can charge "combo" from annihilation?

I use it mainly for the last rank which throws unshielded, unarmoured enemies in the air. Great for crowd control as a vanguard imo.

I really love how little small details go unnoticed by most reviewers. Like for example, in the very first mission on Habitat 7, the scene when you first encounter the Kett. If you play it by the book and choose Play it by protocol, and you wait it out. Liam will tell you they are going to "Kill him" and be begins to open fire. When the cut scene plays out, the dialogue changes to "Sorry I Hesitated". Now if you play that scene again but do draw fire before Liam does, then the dialogue changes to something else.

Plus I love if you don't explore the area at all during that mission and talk to your father later on in the quest up on the hill over looking the Vault. The dialogue choices are different to that if you did explore areas first and for most. Stuff like that should be talked about cause the Hate over shadows a lot of amazing elements Bioware put into this game. Sucks it was rushed but damn.

Dany

Banned
Yea, that's about it right there though. White or Green/Brown.

Asari are the worst: they all have the same face, with a couple different skin tones.

all the NPC's look flat. They clearly had less work spent on them. All of the NPC's look embarrassingly less than anything from the previous trilogy. The color pallate and the odd lighting, ugh.

Carlius

Banned
the running animation is so stupid. takes forever to start the sprint, then he jsut gets stuck in an object and dont get me started on the looting. wtf is up with that giant screen, so annoying., why not make a small loot window.

X-Frame

Annihilation is a wonderful ability with a shotgun-wielding Vanguard. Spec it for Recharge Speed Penalty Reduction / Damage Attractor / Draining Field.

Since you're often up close and personal any enemies in the Annihilation radius will take DoT, increased damage from all sources, and kills inside the radius will replenish your shields and all allies.

You can start working into Nova next or go into the Barrier tree for more survivability.

Tovarisc

the running animation is so stupid. takes forever to start the sprint, then he jsut gets stuck in an object and dont get me started on the looting. wtf is up with that giant screen, so annoying., why not make a small loot window.

Console / pad UI design through and through with assumption that player is several meters from the display.

JMY86

I use it mainly for the last rank which throws unshielded, unarmoured enemies in the air. Great for crowd control as a vanguard imo.

I use the shield recharge version of the rank 6 Annihilation added to Charge shield boost and the biotic kill shield recharge and I am basically never without full shields. Fun stuff either way you choose...

Billfisto

Just played Liam's loyalty mission as a sarcastic Ryder and it was incredible.

Repeatedly hanging up on the pirate leader was great.

I'm enjoying the game, but it definitely feels like there's a lack of polish, and even worse, a lack of thought that went into many of the design decisions. From all the Asari using the same face, awful UI, terrible fetch quests that would have been criticized in a circa 2005 MMO, bad writing and dialog, and awful crafting system that punishes experimentation, it just feels like the game could've been good if it wasn't just so amateur. And that's ignoring all the bugs and terrible animation/lighting/character models.

Feels really out of place compared to Biowares previous efforts. They had a long time to work on it, so it's not like you can blame EA like DA2. I can still get some enjoyment out of the game since I love Bioware games, but I think the reviews so far have been pretty spot on.

emag

Console / pad UI design through and through with assumption that player is several meters from the display.

If there wasn't a junk loot carrying limit, there wouldn't be any reason to have a loot window at all. Just tap the (Y) button to pick up all loot seamlessly.

So why is there a limit to the amount of junk in your inventory again?

Annihilation is a wonderful ability with a shotgun-wielding Vanguard. Spec it for Recharge Speed Penalty Reduction / Damage Attractor / Draining Field.

Since you're often up close and personal any enemies in the Annihilation radius will take DoT, increased damage from all sources, and kills inside the radius will replenish your shields and all allies.

You can start working into Nova next or go into the Barrier tree for more survivability.

Sounds good, I guess since I am only rank 2 right now it isnt doing much, I will keep adding points.

VpomRurd

If there wasn't a junk loot carrying limit, there wouldn't be any reason to have a loot window at all. Just tap the (Y) button to pick up all loot seamlessly.

So why is there a limit to the amount of junk in your inventory again?

There isn't. Salvage doesn't affect your inventory limit, only weapons, armor, mods, and consumables do.

Lime

oh my god, I can't handle this writing:

Gil: Question for you?
Ryder: Shoot.
Gil: When all this craziness is over, think you'll have kids?
Ryder: Where the heck is that coming from?
Gil: At some point soon, we better get busy start making babies

Sky87

So without too many spoilers, is there something that will make me locked out of content if i progress too far with the story? When i see side quests pop up on a planet, i usually want to do them at once, but that takes me out of the story. Some of the obvious side quests, like
finding the arks
is likely important before finishing main story, but anything else? I know you can do the loyalty stuff after finishing story.

I noticed some side quest wasn't possible for me to start on Eos (Ghost of Promise) after visiting the second Monolith there. I went back to an earlier save and was able to start it. Not sure what triggered that to bug out.

i got killed on Elaaden and my latest file fails to load. i tried reverting to a previous file.. its failing to load. the progress bar is at 100% and its just not advancing to gameplay.. what kind of buggy piece of shit is this?

alt27

i got killed on Elaaden and my latest file fails to load. i tried reverting to a previous file.. its failing to load. the progress bar is at 100% and its just not advancing to gameplay.. what kind of buggy piece of shit is this?

It's a complete buggy piece of shit . Sorry to hear

Yeah, me too. I guess we're very lucky.

I haven't even encountered that double Drack glitch. But I've had Gil using a keyboard while away from the actual console once.

What's wrong with it? Do expect everyone talk like Shakespeare or something?

What he's saying perfectly matches his characteristics.

Arcteryx

Gil seems like he was added at the last minute. Like all of his shit is just hilariously bad.

ex:
the "Meet Gil and Jill", dare I say "quest"...where you literally land on Eos, say hi and bye.

Tovarisc

Gil seems like he was added at the last minute. Like all of his shit is just hilariously bad.

ex:
the "Meet Gil and Jill", dare I say "quest"...where you literally land on Eos, say hi and bye.

There is quite a few of those moments in the game, not just Gil. Hardly makes him late addition to the game and more like devs either not having time and/or means to make those moments bigger.

My Ryder just told someone that he uses humour/levity to handle the incredible pressure that's been placed upon him, which aligns with the convo responses I've been selecting. I wonder if that changes if you select from of the stern/straight-faced ones?

Arcteryx

There is quite a few of those moments in the game, not just Gil. Hardly makes him late addition to the game and more like devs either not having time and/or means to make those moments bigger.

Yea, but I mean for one of the four (FOUR lol) crew members, you'd think they would've put a little more effort into him.

So without too many spoilers, is there something that will make me locked out of content if i progress too far with the story? When i see side quests pop up on a planet, i usually want to do them at once, but that takes me out of the story. Some of the obvious side quests, like
finding the arks
is likely important before finishing main story, but anything else? I know you can do the loyalty stuff after finishing story.

The answer isn't spoilery, but in case others don't want to know:
you can do absolutely everything after finishing the game.

abundant

I use the shield recharge version of the rank 6 Annihilation added to Charge shield boost and the biotic kill shield recharge and I am basically never without full shields. Fun stuff either way you choose...

This is the way to go if you want the most OP loadout in the game. Once you have everything (Charge, Annihilation, & Barrier) maxed out, the only thing that will stop you are enemies with instakill melee attacks.

But to answer their question no it doesn't work with Charge.

Tovarisc

Yea, but I mean for one of the three (THREE lol) crew members, you'd think they would've put a little more effort into him.

Lexi, Suvi and Kallo are just as... bad in those moments. Especially Lexi is huge disappointment, expected so much more after they revealed that her VA is major name.

Top Bottom