• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

35 hours in and I am still having fun. What am I doing wrong GAF?

Liam's mission was hilarious. I also encountered a ridiculous bug where all the assets from the ship disappeared and I was jumping from container to container in space. I first thought it was part of the mission.

X-Frame

I'm still disappointed that they removed Warp.

It really makes it hard for me to want to try a pure Adept build. How are the Adept's here fairing on higher difficulties when it comes to shields and armor?

Just looking at the trees obviously Vanguard can be extremely strong but if comparing pure Biotic vs. pure Tech trees the Tech tree seems vastly more flexible. Anti-Shield, Anti-Armor, long-range Debuff, Distraction via Tech constructs, multiple dual Primers and Detonators in the same power.

I really hope that Warp is added back in via DLC.

Coxy100

Banned

It really makes it hard for me to want to try a pure Adept build. How are the Adept's here fairing on higher difficulties when it comes to shields and armor?

Just looking at the trees obviously Vanguard can be extremely strong but if comparing pure Biotic vs. pure Tech trees the Tech tree seems vastly more flexible. Anti-Shield, Anti-Armor, long-range Debuff, Distraction via Tech constructs, multiple dual Primers and Detonators in the same power.

Interested in this as well. I want to go Adept (am only level 4 at the mo) but think I might end up more as a Vanguard hybrid.

massucci

Banned
Any hope of improved performance in the future? Via patch, I mean. I'm talking about the console version. After JC3 I'm not want to touch another game with such fps.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any hope of improved performance in the future? Via patch, I mean. I'm talking about the console version. After JC3 I'm not want to touch another game with such fps.

The devs haven't promised any performance patches or anything specific so far but based on how games work these days, wouldn't be surprised if they're patching this for the next few months to come to fix a bunhca things.

edgefusion

I'm pure Adept melee and basically an unstoppable force of nature. Whole packs of enemies are destroyed in a single move and bigger, boss-type enemies become trivial. Biotics are massively OP when you get into them.

Renekton

Asari Adepts are super strong atm, warp is not missed.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is it normal that romancing Peebee seems "harder" than, say Jaal? I mean, I got like 6 different opportunities to choose the middle left option for him so far, yet Peebee, I think I got 2, and the 2nd one was when i went to her apartment on the Nexus.

Starfield

End game spoilers
Is it a bug or on purpose that you cant get back to cryo bay on the Hyperion anymore after completing the story? I wanted to talk to Sara Ryder but its not possible to go back lol

bati

Maaaaaan....somehow still enjoying the game (carried by decent-ish combat and the setting itself) but this is some of the worst D-tier MMO inspired stuff I've ever seen from an AAA developer. Jesus, I honestly don't have words for it.

"Epic" scenes like bringing back the faction leader to her city have you greeted by a party of 4 identically looking aliens so the scene really resembles the ones from KOTOR - a game that came out 14 fucking years ago!

Friendly bases on Voeld are literally just empty rooms with npcs awkwardly standing in the middle of them. Same goes for enemy outposts. Copypasta all the time, everywhere.

And what in the actual FUCK is up with geometry when it comes to level and art design?!? If I didn't know better and someone showed me screenshots from random spots on the planets I legit wouldn't be able to tell if I'm playing KOTOR, SWTOR or ME:A. Fucking edges and straight lines everywhere, it's so surreal. Even objects that should have circular shapes are hexa or octagonal instead. Terrain really feels like I'm playing a 2002 game. Honestly, some big wig art director at Bioware/EA must have insane pull because I cannot unsee this taint if I look at different Bioware games. It's truly bewildering since most of them were made by different studios.

Planet quests are for the most part MMO tier uninspired shit. It's revolting. And Kett is obviously the reason for everything bad happening on the planets. Seems like 95% of quests are resolved by killing the same pack of Kett soldiers.

It feels like parts of this game were designed by a team who knew what it was doing but wasn't given enough funds or time to turn it into a proper experience. And the rest was farmed out to interns to play with terrain generation algorithms and some basic settlement building tool. Like the one from FO4 if it had 10 times less objects and functions.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm sad that the accidental inclusion of reload interrupts from ME3 didn't carry over.

Are cover piercing mods broken?

Yeh, the reload interrupts was one of the best parts of ME3 MP. The rhythm you could get into was really great, and I think the error was a big part in the surprise hit of the mode at the time as it really did make you feel like you were dancing around the battle field.

The feel of MP is good here, but 3 was (seemingly) accidentally incredible.

I'm enjoying the MP in Andromeda, but after every game I feel like reinstalling 3...

X-Frame

I'm pure Adept melee and basically an unstoppable force of nature. Whole packs of enemies are destroyed in a single move and bigger, boss-type enemies become trivial. Biotics are massively OP when you get into them.

Whats your build? And are you referring to SP or MP?

I meant to specify SP for my post, I haven't really gotten into the MP yet.

edgefusion

Whats your build? And are you referring to SP or MP?

I meant to specify SP for my post, I haven't really gotten into the MP yet.

Single player - I dumped all my points into biotics to get the "Ultimate Adept" profile and added as many biotic power and biotic recharge mods as I could. I use Annihilation, Charge and Nova. Annihilation just because it has a perk that causes enemies caught in it to receive more damage, which buffs my Nova.

Here's a group of standard enemies getting obliterated and hilariously flung through the air https://gfycat.com/PositiveShockedBichonfrise

It's probably a lot easier to animate for the developpers, plus most people would rather romance something that look vaguely human than something like an Elcor or Hanar. Sure, I can already see some people here saying they would like to see that, but you're such a minority that it's not worth it for the developpers to spend time & resources on this, even if its just for laughs.

you wouldnt want to boldly go where no man has gone before? im kind of joking as I dont expect this kind of thing to ever happen. Would be nice to have more diverse alien types in general though as races.

Arklite

I'd live to know what they "learned" from DA:I. I think this game falls further into the bland open world MMO bucket than DA:I ever did.

I'd disagree as Andromeda beckons you strongly out of the first world and manages to keep things far more varied. I'd agree in that it's oversaturated with things to do. I'm leniant in that I'd rather wallow in sci fi than fantasy. Still better than DA:I.

adamsapple

I'd disagree as Andromeda beckons you strongly out of the first world and manages to keep things far more varied. I'd agree in that it's oversaturated with things to do. I'm leniant in that I'd rather wallow in sci fi than fantasy. Still better than DA:I.

It's definitely better than DA: I but the influences of the game are felt very heavily. I hope they tone it back for future games, smaller planets like Havarl and the moon planet I posted pictures of on the last page.

Smaller but more varied planets will be more appreciated than 5 'big' chunks imo.

X-Frame

Single player - I dumped all my points into biotics to get the "Ultimate Adept" profile and added as many biotic power and biotic recharge mods as I could. I use Annihilation, Charge and Nova. Annihilation just because it has a perk that causes enemies caught in it to receive more damage, which buffs my Nova.

Here's a group of standard enemies getting obliterated and hilariously flung through the air https://gfycat.com/PositiveShockedBichonfrise

Ahh I see. It's more of a Vanguard build then no? I have the same skills now but use the Vanguard profile since I like those bonuses.

I'm more looking for the traditional Adept play style where it's more medium to longer range, setting off consistent explosions and manipulating enemies.

The manipulating part has been buffed a lot now with Pull + Throw and I know Singularity has been buffed to prime all targets now, but it seems slow and awkward compared to the faster and harder-hitting Warp.

I would love a Backlash + Warp + Throw/Lance build if it were possible.

patapuf

I've tried it for a while and it doesn't work unless you go a vanguard CQC build.

Classic adept is really strong against red bars, and once you've got throw and singularity leveld enough shields aren't as much of a problem, but it still seems other classes are vastly superior in terms of DPS and flexibility.

You can't even rely on allies to strip shields. Not quickly enough anyway.

I'll try to add overload or incinerate to my adept build before i give up.

Killzig

Lack of warp is a pain in the ass. I keep being told to just invest in Lance but lance has no armor fucking properties and has no tracking. I ended up just going full tech wizard instead since the tech tree has long range casting stuff that can deal with both shields and armor (no idea why they think it's cool for the tech tree to be totally all-inclusive but let the biotics branch wither unless you want to play vanguard).

adamsapple

Going back and forth between nexus areas for missions is doing my tits in

You mean between the train stations in the nexus or nexus-planet-back to nexus ?

If it's the later, I just don't revisit nexus repeatedly, visit once after wrapping up a planet or a bunch of off-world quests.

xealo

End game spoilers
Is it a bug or on purpose that you cant get back to cryo bay on the Hyperion anymore after completing the story? I wanted to talk to Sara Ryder but its not possible to go back lol

Id say on purpose. The Hyperion is no longer at the nexus by the end and is not available through the hub tram system either.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You mean between the train stations in the nexus or nexus-planet-back to nexus ?

If it's the later, I just don't revisit nexus repeatedly, visit once after wrapping up a planet or a bunch of off-world quests.
Train stations

adamsapple

Train stations

Oh .. well .. at least the train animations are short .. although I would have loved it if there was a nexus wide map and you could choose fast travel points like you can in some other civilian hubs.

bati

Lack of warp is a pain in the ass. I keep being told to just invest in Lance but lance has no armor fucking properties and has no tracking. I ended up just going full tech wizard instead since the tech tree has long range casting stuff that can deal with both shields and armor (no idea why they think it's cool for the tech tree to be totally all-inclusive but let the biotics branch wither unless you want to play vanguard).

Lance doesn't need tracking, it's very fast. I did go for the 100% dmg aoe radius though but I'm not really sure how much it helps. Next time I respec I'll try the dmg evo instead. Fwiw I'm a PC player playing on a pad and I don't have any issues aiming it. It also shreds armor about as well as any anti-armor ability I've tried (Incinerate for example) and you can spam it with the right build. I don't know how it stacks vs other abilities on lower difficulties but on Insanity it's the bread and butter of my dps.

It's definitely better than DA: I but the influences of the game are felt very heavily. I hope they tone it back for future games, smaller planets like Havarl and the moon planet I posted pictures of on the last page.

Smaller but more varied planets will be more appreciated than 5 'big' chunks imo.

Did anyone else find Havarl a pain navigate? The foliage is so dense and the radar is so bad at directing you that I would often warp back to the tempest after completing an objective because otherwise I'll get lost. I find it easier to navigate to objectives from the starting point.

Yeah classic adept builds have been nerfed quite a bit since you don't have nearly as many universal biotic primers compared to 3 where you had not only warp and singularity(in the mp) but dark channel and reave. Combined with the fact that biotic explosions don't deal 2x armor damage any more as far as I can tell and that they're weaker in general, it's much harder to play a ranged adept in this game compared to me3. Really what the adept actually shines at in this game is CC where biotic echoes and singularity can decimate entire groups of unshielded/unarmored mooks, but against bosses its better to just switch to a tech profile. Physics damage also got nerfed a lot, where stuff like shockwave doesn't ragdoll anymore and is a lot weaker than in me3 where a shockwave specced correctly could kill or at least seriously hurt an unshielded mook.

In the mp though, its ridiculously difficult to run an adept since combos are even weaker and there's no biotic echoes to counteract the low damage. Seriously, its really jarring to play a human adept now in the mp, going from arguably the best power based class in me3 to one that's not very good any more, at least compared to melee vanguards and melee asari adepts.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man the lack of checkpoints in Kett bases is a pain in the ass. Had issues with it on Voeld, went back to Eos and had even worse, dying at the boss and putting me back at the start with having to clear out multiple waves of enemies and activate several terminals again.

Is their any pay off for doing those all? If not I may skip them on future planets unless they patch in some checkpoints.

xealo

Man the lack of checkpoints in Kett bases is a pain in the ass. Had issues with it on Voeld, went back to Eos and had even worse, dying at the boss and putting me back at the start with having to clear out multiple waves of enemies and activate several terminals again.

Is their any pay off for doing those all? If not I may skip them on future planets unless they patch in some checkpoints.

Mostly xp/loot and to serve as a combat challenge. Taking out these bases are not crucial to setting up outposts or getting 100% viability.

edgefusion

You should at least do the one on Voeld, it leads to a very interesting quest following on from taking it out.

witness

Yeah I'll join the chorus of those not digging ranged adept. That was my jam in 2 and 3 but I don't like any comparable build in Andremoda. Feels weak now without warp. Not digging sentinel builds so much either without it. Tech is incredible though and is immensely versatile in any situation. I've now specd into combat as my secondary tree (level 21) and the assault rifle and combat fitness buffs feel much more useful than what I could get at this point in biotics.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Mostly xp/loot and to serve as a combat challenge. Taking out these bases are not crucial to setting up outposts or getting 100% viability.

You should at least do the one on Voeld, it leads to a very interesting quest following on from taking it out.

Oh I finished that one and the one on Eos. Just frustrated and not sure I'm up for more if they don't add check points. So many obvious places between waves, or after activating all terminals to move further where there should be check points.

I really just need to focus in more as I'm like 27ish hours in and story wise I've only gone as far as past the rescue mission on Voeld. Want to do the other planet you had an option to go to other than Voeld (Havrl?) and then get on with the story and character quests as the planet missions have gotten stale.

Yeah I'll join the chorus of those not digging ranged adept. That was my jam in 2 and 3 but I don't like any comparable build in Andremoda. Feels weak now without warp. Not digging sentinel builds so much either without it. Tech is incredible though and is immensely versatile in any situation. I've now specd into combat as my secondary tree (level 21) and the assault rifle and combat fitness buffs feel much more useful than what I could get at this point in biotics.

Yeah, I respecced into a ranged adept and not feeling it. Will shell out some credits and respec again next time I play and focus on tech and combat most likely.

What level are you? Maybe i'm over levelled or playing on too low a difficulty (normal) but after finishing the one on voeld, its been the only thing to give me any challenge so far.

Pull - Annihilation - Lance.

I just run into groups of enemies and throw endless lances everywhere and pull an enemy to get shields back as needed. It's obnoxiously overpowered.

edgefusion

Oh I finished that one and the one on Eos. Just frustrated and not sure I'm up for more if they don't add check points. So many obvious places between waves, or after activating all terminals to move further where there should be check points.

I really just need to focus in more as I'm like 27ish hours in and story wise I've only gone as far as past the rescue mission on Voeld. Want to do the other planet you had an option to go to other than Voeld (Havrl?) and then get on with the story and character quests as the planet missions have gotten stale.

Ah, well if you completed Eos and Voeld then you've completed (spoiler of number of Kett bases )
all of them.

At least with the Reapers you have that first conversation with Sovereign and it's a great "holy shit" Moment. In Andromeda everybody talks about how bad the Archon but really so far he hasn't really done anything. He's like Thanos, just stares menacingly, mostly via hologram, and says "do not fail me again" a whole bunch. Fuck off dude, you're getting in the way of my space politics.

I lol'd pretty good at the bolded. Exactly how I felt.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What level are you? Maybe i'm over levelled or playing on too low a difficulty (normal) but after finishing the one on voeld, its been the only thing to give me any challenge so far.

Low 20's? Also playing on normal. I didn't think they were super hard. Just easy to end up with someone behind you and dying stupidly, or getting one hit melee killed by the boss and sent way back. I don't care to be challenged in RPGs tbh. I play most on easy, just always played ME games on normal. And as you note, this isn't hard. Lack of checkpoints is just always frustrating, especially if there's potential for one hit deaths late in the mission.

Ah, well if you completed Eos and Voeld then you've completed (spoiler of number of Kett bases )
all of them.

Oh, well never mind then. :D. Glad those are over with.

I hate it. I used a guide for all of them.

Same. If I wanted Sukoku like puzzles I'd play a puzzle game.

The game is slow enough without stopping and working out puzzles.

xealo

What do people think of the Remnant sudoku? The 5x5 versions take a bit of time to figure out :p

They're not so bad for the most part. Only had trouble with 1 of them being a 5x5 that used tile shapes that weren't squares, only had 5 squares filled at the start with those 5 all being the same 3 signs, and all 3 middle rows completely empty.

By far the most obnoxious puzzle I've seen in this game so far.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
What do people think of the Remnant sudoku? The 5x5 versions take a bit of time to figure out :p

I appreciate it on a gameplay level because it actually gives you something to think about even if it's only for a minute or two, but the way it's presented is bad for a couple of reasons:

1. Isn't Ryder merged with a supercomputer? Why can't Sam just do it instantly.
2. Is the implication really that an ancient race protected their secrets with Sudoku AND that none of the intelligent races from this galaxy could figure it out? Seems very unlikely.

LightInfa

Im not sure what you mean, i feel like there's a lot of infentory and especially crafting menus i need to sift through in this game.

Especially compared to previous Mass Effect games.

The menus being terrible doesn't help.

I'm more talking about the fact that they made salvage not count against your inventory limit, so as a player you are rarely ever having to worry about going over your inventory limit. In DAI I was frequently having to destroy stuff to make room for other stuff (or accumulating a silly pile in the skyhold chest). I like the crafting so to what extent it's menu intensive that doesn't bother me.

nOoblet16

Except for one optional puzzle in the last vault all are pretty straightforward actually. Most of the time you will have atleast one block where all the pieces are already taken except one, you just take it from there. The optional one is different and I just googled the solution for that one.

I appreciate it on a gameplay level because it actually gives you something to think about even if it's only for a minute or two, but the way it's presented is bad for a couple of reasons:

1. Isn't Ryder merged with a supercomputer? Why can't Sam just do it instantly.
2. Is the implication really that an ancient race protected their secrets with Sudoku AND that none of the intelligent races from this galaxy could figure it out? Seems very unlikely.

1. Sam needs to scan for mining nodes and has no time for such futilities.
2. The biggest problem seems to be interfacing with the console/glyphs as only very few people can do that.

I'm more talking about the fact that they made salvage not count against your inventory limit, so as a player you are rarely ever having to worry about going over your inventory limit. In DAI I was frequently having to destroy stuff to make room for other stuff (or accumulating a silly pile in the skyhold chest). I like the crafting so to what extent it's menu intensive that doesn't bother me.

I think my inventory limit is 65 and I'm constantly hitting it. I'm guessing unused mods count? I've been too lazy to check, so I just break down weapons and armor I don't need as I pick them up.

Top Bottom