• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Megasoum

Banned
How does Biotic targeting works?

I feel like I can easily curve push and pulls around cover to hit enemies but Singularity alway goes super high in the sky?

Range Adeps doesn't feel as strong as in previous Mass Effect games. Seems like the good Adep build is the good up close and personal kind which I don't like.

How's the Tech build? If you play a Tech build what skills you use? Or what's the funnest build to play/use?

I have to start over so I'm looking into trying something different.

Megasoum

Banned
Sigh... Not even done with the prologue and already had two crashes...

One crash to desktop without warnings or errors when you first drop to the planet and now I'm getting a black screen after the end of prologue cinematic...

Just started the
Bain Massani
sidequest on Eos,
after taking out the Kett Base
. Interesting conversation bug:
He congratulates me on having already taken out the 'crown jewel,' and then tells me two lines later that I'm not yet ready to take on the crown jewel. Go figure.

Grisby

Driving around on the fourth open planet and man, getting such crazy Mass Effect 1 vibes. It's almost like it's 2007 again in some ways.

Range Adeps doesn't feel as strong as in previous Mass Effect games. Seems like the good Adep build is the good up close and personal kind which I don't like.

How's the Tech build? If you play a Tech build what skills you use? Or what's the funnest build to play/use?

I have to start over so I'm looking into trying something different.

Tech is really powerful, and much better with dealing with Armor at range than biotics. I'm currently running an Incinerate / Energy Drain / Overload build, and while it's pretty simplistic, it's crazy powerful.

All three of the skills either naturally are, or can be specced to both prime and detonate tech explosions. The individual skills also have nice utility outside tech combos. Energy drain helps with survivability and overload provides nice crowd control.

I guess this build is weakest at close range, but my weapons do a decent job in covering that weakness. I run a NZ Crusader shotgun for close to medium range, and a scoped Carnifex for longer ranges. I can't remember which tech support skill I invested points into, but the spec that reduced weapon weight allows me to carry both guns while maintaining a 100% recharge rate.

"Don't fuck with Aria"

I went with
Reaka because every other OG pathfinder ended up dying and she was the only one remaining and I didn't want her to die either. Infact the Asaris could end up with their third pathfinder if you tell Sarissa to fuck off. Ryder is great and a natural but Raeka still has more experience being a leader and could teach others some stuff.

Yeah I dunno man. For me the
Salarian Pathfinder came off kind of incompetent, I wasn't impressed.

Tech is really powerful, and much better with dealing with Armor at range than biotics. I'm currently running an Incinerate / Energy Drain / Overload build, and while it's pretty simplistic, it's crazy powerful.

All three of the skills either naturally are, or can be specced to both prime and detonate tech explosions. The individual skills also have nice utility outside tech combos. Energy drain helps with survivability and overload provides nice crowd control.

I guess this build is weakest at close range, but my weapons do a decent job in covering that weakness. I run a NZ Crusader shotgun for close to medium range, and a scoped Carnifex for longer ranges. I can't remember which tech support skill I invested points into, but the spec that reduced weapon weight allows me to carry both guns while maintaining a 100% recharge rate.

Thanks for this. I'm going to use your build as a base and experiment with other tech skills.

Edit: I just wanted to add that this build is really fun. I put together a low level version of this and I'm enjoying myself more than I was playing a adept.

jH6LQ12.png

I..uh... hmm.

malfcn

Still stuck on this Cardinal fight on insane.

The ai is beyond stupid. The enemy programming either ignores or snipes me. The companions instantly die, will not defend themselves and have no concept of cover fire.

Wave after wave of bullet sponge of increasing rank. I enjoy a challenge, but give me a break. About to throw in the towel.

Doing the ice cave after the kett base on Voeld and I'm not sure I can take SAM much longer. This stupid AI is driving me insane.

I'm reading a temperature decrease

The ambient temperature is normal

Literally every fucking time as you move between heat lamps. And in that passionless robotic droning voice.

I miss EDI.

bati

The ai is beyond stupid. The enemy programming either ignores or snipes me. The companions instantly die, will not defend themselves and have no concept of cover fire.

Wave after wave of bullet sponge of increasing rank. I enjoy a challenge, but give me a break. About to throw in the towel.

First planet? I've had success with full engi, incinerate/ED and cloak (must have skill on Insanity imo). At about lvl 25 I respecced into Sentinel and I've been mopping the floor with enemies on Insanity, it's absolutely crazy. Playing with Lance (shield cost evo), ED and Cloak and I haven't died for like 5 levels.

Eos sidequest spoilers:

What's the "easy" way to soften up the Kett base that Bain is referring to? I've taken out 3 or 4 of those security consoles out in the presson dunes but I haven't noticed a change and it doesn't seem like this stuff shows up on the map.

First planet? I've had success with full engi, incinerate/ED and cloak (must have skill on Insanity imo). At about lvl 25 I respecced into Sentinel and I've been mopping the floor with enemies on Insanity, it's absolutely crazy. Playing with Lance (shield cost evo), ED and Cloak and I haven't died for like 5 levels.

Yeah, cloak is a god send on higher difficulties. You can revive your squadmates without having to worry about getting pelted by bullets, and maneuver yourself to a better position without drawing attention to yourself. Plus dat damage multiplier.

I think what makes that fight so difficult is that it happens early on in the game, so your build isn't as robust as it should be for the number of buffed enemies that arena throws at you. I had difficulty completing it on Hard difficulty, so I can only imagine your frustration while doing it on insanity. Take out those turret guys with the shields immediately before dealing with the ascended and boss again.Those little snipers that use smoke to block your powers from targeting them after you deplete their shield are especially annoying. Deploying a turret helps if you have any skill points invested in tech, it'll distract the enemies near it while you lay into them.

Arklite

Just started the
Bain Massani
sidequest on Eos,
after taking out the Kett Base
. Interesting conversation bug:
He congratulates me on having already taken out the 'crown jewel,' and then tells me two lines later that I'm not yet ready to take on the crown jewel. Go figure.

I don't know why they put that guy somewhere way behind the damn base itself. Sometimes this game reminds me of vanilla STALKER where missions wouldn't flow correctly and NPCs would then not make sense.

SmartBase

I like how it "feels" like you're exploring, even if there's not much out there worth finding on the different maps. One small Andromeda planet has more personality than billions of boring identical heightmaps that I'm used to in Elite Dangerous so that was nice.

Those transition animations did get a bit grating, especially when you just needed to board the ship to collect stuff or check emails, though I'd imagine it's because they're still going with the whole "bigger on the inside" thing with these ships that maybe seeing outside on planets wouldn't have worked.

The writing is easily the worst part about the game, it's on a different plane of bad as far as I'm concerned. If you (role) play a snide and sarcastic Ryder who doesn't take anything that's happening seriously then it's at least somewhat bearable, and there were some really neat zingers from that bottom left option.

daedalius

When the lighting is just right, the aliens can look almost CG-good.

Everything 'not-a-human' looks pretty great, design notwithstanding.

Is Frostbite just terrible about rendering humans or something? They've breached the uncanny valley as much as possible in this game I think.

Everything 'not-a-human' looks pretty great, design notwithstanding.

Is Frostbite just terrible about rendering humans or something? They've breached the uncanny valley as much as possible in this game I think.

As far as I can tell, Frostbite has issues with interior lighting on character models. It's very flat and it doesn't hurt as much with aliens, but humans it does. Even in otherwise gorgeous games, like Battlefield One and Battlefront, the humans look awful compared to environments imo.

Examples:

Battlefield's looks the best, but even then, something is really off with the way the skin reacts to lighting. Frostbite just isn't really well-suited to character modeling and lighting, it feels like.

Combine this with the ME:A team's inexperience with the engine and whatever happened in development and you have some nightmares.

daedalius

As far as I can tell, Frostbite has issues with interior lighting on character models. It's very flat and it doesn't hurt as much with aliens, but humans it does. Even in otherwise gorgeous games, like Battlefield One and Battlefront, the humans look awful compared to environments imo.

Examples:

Battlefield's looks the best, but even then, something is really off with the way the skin reacts to lighting. Frostbite just isn't really well-suited to character modeling and lighting, it feels like.

Combine this with the ME:A team's inexperience with the engine and whatever happened in development and you have some nightmares.

Well, Luke's hair looks just as bad as all the hair does in MEA, so I guess it wasn't totally the Bioware team's fault.

Well, Luke's hair looks just as bad as all the hair does in MEA, so I guess it wasn't totally the Bioware team's fault.

Yeah and look at the Catalyst dude's arm, or the Battlefield dude's hand. The faces are a lot better than some of ME:A's jankier stuff, but the skin is just...odd.

Mesharey

Got to the last mission, was surprised it was the last, I still have tons of side missions I didn't do even though I did so many.

I only did 1 loyalty mission and almost finished the second, any recommended missions before I do the last one? Probably loyalty.

JBwB

Only a few hours in so far and I gotta say I'm really loving it despite the notable issues everyone has mentioned. I can really see myself spending at least 50-60 hours on this.

The only thing that's really bothering me at the moment are the bugs & crashes. Had 3 crashes so far and a no audio bug that forced me to restart the game.

LightInfa

I love the casual cussing in this, not gonna lie. Fits perfectly for the moment.

This produced a hilarious moment while I was playing today on Kadara - I went into the acidic water not thinking it would be dangerous, go "oh shit" as I almost die, and then Ryder immediately says "Oh shit better not do that!"

TrutaS

Almost done with the main quest. I really don't enjoy the open world segments - they feel empty, and feel like a chore to traverse - so I skipped everything that is not main quest. Not saying this to offend anyone who liked it, I just struggle with this open world imensely after playing Horizon where I felt compelled to go everywhere.

BouncyFrag

Drack dropped a f-bomb when commenting on what the kett do to people. lol

I've been really up and down with this game but after leveling up various 'programs' the combat is really fun. Running into
Zaeed's son
was good for some feels. Drack offers up great banter so I'm happy. The soundtrack hasn't hit me with anything memorable though.

Just beat the main story at around 20.5 hrs. Really enjoyed my time with it, despite some issues like the menus and crafting. Also, really miffed that a good majority of the trophies I should have received never actually went through, really frustrated me after I beat the story and realized I should have had more trophies than I actually did.

Bubble

Neo Member
Man, it is so funny seeing Asari show up. Every single one of them look the same (except for Peebee), and it just makes me go: "Didn't I just talk to you?"

Despite the game having minor flaws, I'm having a ton of fun with the game.

Just beat the main story at around 20.5 hrs. Really enjoyed my time with it, despite some issues like the menus and crafting. Also, really miffed that a good majority of the trophies I should have received never actually went through, really frustrated me after I beat the story and realized I should have had more trophies than I actually did.

20 hours.. I've put 65 hours in this game and still nowhere close the end. I still haven't even reach the last planet.

Man, it is so funny seeing Asari show up. Every single one of them look the same (except for Peebee), and it just makes me go: "Didn't I just talk to you?"

Yeah, this is actually disturbing and immersion breaking for me.

Weirdly, Turians and Krograns seem unique, while Salarians not so much (the color variations helps).

Brockxz

OK, so i am not going crazy. At first I thought it is bad luck for me to meet the same looking Asari but at least now I know it is for everyone. Also that one face is kind of strange looking, not the face I would imagine Asari would look like after previous games.

OK, so i am not going crazy. At first I thought it is bad luck for me to meet the same looking Asari but at least now I know it is for everyone. Also that one face is kind of strange looking, not the face I would imagine Asari would look like after previous games.

I think derp looking is the words that you're looking for.

And yeah, the Asari has totally lost their grace and charm in Andromeda.

Top Bottom