• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What do people think of the Remnant sudoku? The 5x5 versions take a bit of time to figure out :p

4X4 were OK, 5X5 can go fuck themselves. I have no shame admitting I'm looking up their solutions online or if I have those 'insta solve' devices, using them.

UncleMeat

Well after stubbornly sticking with soldier for 40 hours I finally respec'd into a vanguard (charge/nova/annihilation w/shotgun) and what do you know the combat is actually fun. On console there's just way too much input lag, too big of an inner dead zone and aiming just feels bad to me; it basically just felt like a bad TPS.

I tried sticking with soldier since that's what I usually played because I liked adrenaline rush and turbocharge wasn't that bad of a substitute but the aiming is just not tight and ruins it. So rather than play a bad tps I recommend to fellow soldiers to just give in and be a biotic or vanguard.

So what's the best way to use annihilation? Does it buff your charge when it's active?

Well after stubbornly sticking with soldier for 40 hours I finally respec'd into a vanguard (charge/nova/annihilation w/shotgun) and what do you know the combat is actually fun. On console there's just way too much input lag, too big of an inner dead zone and aiming just feels bad to me; it basically just felt like a bad TPS.

I tried sticking with soldier since that's what I usually played because I liked adrenaline rush and turbocharge wasn't that bad of a substitute but the aiming is just not tight and ruins it. So rather than play a bad tps I recommend to fellow soldiers to just give in and be a biotic or vanguard.

So what's the best way to use annihilation? Does it buff your charge when it's active?

Just keep it active during combat. I went with extra radius, higher damage and lifting unshielded, unarmoured enemies in the air.

usually goes like this

charge into group of enemies --> nova

half of them fly into the air, the other half I melee or shotgun to deplete their shields and then they start flying as well

You will be more vulnerable than with the shield restoration but it's so much more fun to throw everyone and their mom in the air.

dmix90

It's crazy how meaty this game is and i love it! 22 hours in and i barely done with half of first planet( the rest is still not easily accessible due to radiation level )
Tons of stuff to explore/scan and almost always there is tiny bit of dialogue/comment from your character and crew. Great voice acting all around from what i heard. Intriguing story and premise. I also really like the lighthearted tone of the game so far. Perfect game to wrap yourself in a warm blanket and slowly explore alien worlds and planets then spend even more time talking with your crew :)

I thinks it's my favourite Mass Effect yet( ME1>>>>>>ME2>>>ME3 )

There are bugs and quite a few of them but nothing critical so far. Hopefully they will patch it soon without breaking anything..... this game seems like a really damn complex peace of work with all the choice that player has and amount of gameplay systems.

I am very impressed by them amount of unique companion dialogue is in the game. In pretty much every Bioware game since NPCs were voiced companions have tended to be silent if it wasn't a specific mission that concerned them (loyalty quests usually). Here, no matter who I bring on a mission), both companions are constantly commenting on the situation.

Eos sidequest spoilers:

What's the "easy" way to soften up the Kett base that Bain is referring to? I've taken out 3 or 4 of those security consoles out in the presson dunes but I haven't noticed a change and it doesn't seem like this stuff shows up on the map.

Sorry for the bump but does anyone know the answer? This is really bugging me.

edgefusion

I have my annihilation set up like this:

-30% power recharge penalty, so Nova and Charge are up again faster.
Enemies affected take 20% additional damage from all sources - Makes Nova even more ridiculous when it's being amped by Annihilation.
Shields restored by 30% when an enemy affected by Annihilation dies - Congrats you are now invincible.

UncleMeat

Just keep it active during combat. I went with extra radius, higher damage and lifting unshielded, unarmoured enemies in the air.

usually goes like this

charge into group of enemies --> nova

half of them fly into the air, the other half I melee or shotgun to deplete their shields and then they start flying as well

Cool thanks. I was amazed at how fast I was clearing rooms as a vanguard (playing on normal)...I was like "that's it?". I tried it out during the original trilogy but I don't remember it being this OP.

edit: Nice! Thanks, Edgefusion.

obeast

Maaaaaan....somehow still enjoying the game (carried by decent-ish combat and the setting itself) but this is some of the worst D-tier MMO inspired stuff I've ever seen from an AAA developer. Jesus, I honestly don't have words for it.

"Epic" scenes like bringing back the faction leader to her city have you greeted by a party of 4 identically looking aliens so the scene really resembles the ones from KOTOR - a game that came out 14 fucking years ago!

Friendly bases on Voeld are literally just empty rooms with npcs awkwardly standing in the middle of them. Same goes for enemy outposts. Copypasta all the time, everywhere.

And what in the actual FUCK is up with geometry when it comes to level and art design?!? If I didn't know better and someone showed me screenshots from random spots on the planets I legit wouldn't be able to tell if I'm playing KOTOR, SWTOR or ME:A. Fucking edges and straight lines everywhere, it's so surreal. Even objects that should have circular shapes are hexa or octagonal instead. Terrain really feels like I'm playing a 2002 game.

I too get some KOTOR vibes from ME:A - something about the way the hubs are designed and the way that everyone just stands around awkwardly reminds me of a game from several generations ago. ME3 had this issue in 2012, and it felt slightly dated then. Obviously, parts of the game are light years beyond something like KOTOR, but there's definitely a bit of that flavor to the proceedings.

And I agree with you about art and level design, too. I loaded a save from The Witcher 3 in the Blood & Wine city after playing ME:A for a while last night, and it was a jolting transition - the design in that game is so far superior, and feels so much more like a real place. I had acclimated to ME:A, and my brain went, basically, "holy shit, this city is beautiful, and feels lived-in." To a certain extent, this is an unfair comparison (space exploration epic vs. medieval-themed fantasy world), and most - possibly all - open world-ish RPGs can't keep up with TW3 in terms of design, but it highlighted for me just how static and gamey a lot of ME:A feels.

All that said, I've enjoyed my time with ME:A, and I'll probably even replay it at some point - but I also enjoy KOTOR when I replay it. The game definitely feels rushed, or unfinished, or simply sloppily designed, though, with some elements (player movement animation, say) feeling like a 2017 game and others like something from 5 or 10 years ago. It's a little weird to have to use my various coping mechanisms for outdated game elements in old RPGs ("use your imagination," basically) in a modern AAA game.

Grisby

Got finished with mission 3/4 and the quest log is just blowing up, lol. Mostly with the good stuff too so that's nice.
I am very impressed by them amount of unique companion dialogue is in the game. In pretty much every Bioware game since NPCs were voiced companions have tended to be silent if it wasn't a specific mission that concerned them (loyalty quests usually). Here, no matter who I bring on a mission), both companions are constantly commenting on the situation.
Inquisition actually had a lot of stuff like this. You could even chose some responses to their chatter while just wondering the open world.

It's a good thing though. That's Bioware's strong suit and they need to focus on it.

CSJ

Just finished the game, I knew it would happen because I'm a serial completionist but the amount of resources that went unused, I always try collect everything I can just in case, or should I need it.

Nope, god damnit! :p
5000 of most stuff in the tech materials list, thousands of minerals.
Could sell most of it!

I'm very disappointed there were no unique items, at all, literally. Not one that I came across. No rare armour, no rare weapons (despite tags like Ultra rare etc), everything was pretty much researchable and built with levels attached. You didn't find any cool stuff to build, it was just all there given to you.

Exploring places, going out of the way in DA:I at least would find you some cool stuff now and again, here. Not at all. It got to the point where I could pretty much tell ahead of time where the world designers hid crates, it was so obvious.

The tasks are such shameful padding. The lack of waypoints is just a way to further extend the shallow quest design and waste the player's time. When you go to the camps, scavenger points, etc the item you need to scan won't always spawn. You'll need to leave the planet and come back. I don't know if this is a glitch or a contrived way to give you something to do with each visit. Either way, its trash and I hope they do better in the sequel.

Ralemont

not me
35 hours in and I am still having fun. What am I doing wrong GAF?

Liam's mission was hilarious. I also encountered a ridiculous bug where all the assets from the ship disappeared and I was jumping from container to container in space. I first thought it was part of the mission.

I've only done two loyalty missions so far but they both feel like the best content I've done.

Also, did anyone else think Cora's loyalty mission had really good facial animation? It stood out to me as opposed to normal stuff.

Lazy?

Doesn't help that they range from stupidly simple time wasters, to annoying time sinks.

I haven't done one of those puzzles since like Eos, and I'm 50 hours in. The bypass items rule.

Grisby

The tasks are such shameful padding. The lack of waypoints is just a way to further extend the shallow quest design and waste the player's time. When you go to the camps, scavenger points, etc the item you need to scan won't always spawn. You'll need to leave the planet and come back. I don't know if this is a glitch or a contrived way to give you something to do with each visit. Either way, its trash and I hope they do better in the sequel.
They need to cut it out and just focus on some quality side quests. Get rid of the collect-a-thon stuff add in more meaningful character interactions/choice stuff.
I've only done two loyalty missions so far but they both feel like the best content I've done.

Also, did anyone else think Cora's loyalty mission had really good facial animation? It stood out to me as opposed to normal stuff.
Yeah, it seemed better.

I also dug her mission because I'm a fan of
derelict and moody space station settings

I'm not a fan of them, but I wouldn't call them shameful. I've done maybe 2 or 3 'Tasks' in my 22 hours with the game and haven't found myself stuck doing them to advance the story. It's pretty obvious that they're in the game for folks who just want more to do.

At least they're separated into their own category in the Journal, so you know what you're getting into when you start one.

These one-hit KO's from Fiends are pure bullshit. Get too close and they randomly kill you without warning.

They're called sync kills. Banshees, Brutes, and Atlas Mechs in Mass Effect 3 did the same thing. It's designed that way so you actually take the threat of melee damage seriously instead of just sitting still and shooting them with no consequence.

exYle

I got it last night on xbox. At least I think I did, just checked the one I got is called:
Helping Hand - Help Vira's Sister

Yes, I was looking at my trophy list and found the missing offender. I've done the quest and it hasn't unlocked.

edgefusion

They're called sync kills. Banshees, Brutes, and Atlas Mechs in Mass Effect 3 did the same thing. It's designed that way so you actually take the threat of melee damage seriously instead of just sitting still and shooting them with no consequence.

Not very good when you're playing a melee character. Ironically I took care of them by standing on a structure, sitting still and shooting them with no consequence. :v

Mossybrew

And I agree with you about art and level design, too. I loaded a save from The Witcher 3 in the Blood & Wine city after playing ME:A for a while last night, and it was a jolting transition - the design in that game is so far superior, and feels so much more like a real place. I had acclimated to ME:A, and my brain went, basically, "holy shit, this city is beautiful, and feels lived-in." To a certain extent, this is an unfair comparison (space exploration epic vs. medieval-themed fantasy world), and most - possibly all - open world-ish RPGs can't keep up with TW3 in terms of design, but it highlighted for me just how static and gamey a lot of ME:A feels.

Yeah it seems like a small difference but NPCs actually doing things and moving around really adds to a more lifelike feeling. Aside from your companions moving around your ship, do NPCs in MEA actually ever move or do anything? I'm trying to remember anything and I just picture them all standing around, maybe some light idle animation. Heck even Skyrim had NPCs that had schedules, moved from place to place, performed various activities.

Yeah it seems like a small difference but NPCs actually doing things and moving around really adds to a more lifelike feeling. Aside from your companions moving around your ship, do NPCs in MEA actually ever move or do anything? I'm trying to remember anything and I just picture them all standing around, maybe some light idle animation. Heck even Skyrim had NPCs that had schedules, moved from place to place, performed various activities.
Nope MEA is frozen in time. Walking on the nexus in particular feels lifeless.

sangreal

What do people think of the Remnant sudoku? The 5x5 versions take a bit of time to figure out :p

I found them all very easy, and I don't even play sudoku

even some of the optional ones that give you barely any glyphs to start

adding the requirement that symbols can't repeat in their shaped region makes it pretty trivial

Alucrid

Banned
I found them all very easy, and I don't even play sudoku

even some of the optional ones that give you barely any glyphs to start

adding the requirement that symbols can't repeat in their shaped region makes it pretty trivial

but that's one of the concepts of sudoku

Just booted it up for the first time, since I was a bit hesitant to start with all the bad press on release.

Have to say my first impressions arent great. The character creator seems really limited? Like worse than the old Mass Effect games.. whats up with this? Is it just me or is this really shitty character creator?

Wootball

Is there any downside to ignoring the 'Task' side missions? They're almost all crap and involve fast travelling around every planet to press Y on like 4 or 5 different objectives.

19 hours in and I'm really enjoying this, I'm playing as a Biotic FemRyder who acts on emotions rather than logic and some of the decisions have genuinely made me thing about what I should do - exactly what I want from Mass Effect. And playing this way I'm surprised how funny some of the dialogue is, Mass Effect has never really made me laugh but this one does. I was worried after the trial, god knows why they made Eos the first planet because it's so fucking boring compared to the other worlds.

Oh, and the Sudoku puzzles can absolutely suck it. I hate Sudoku.

UncleMeat

Just booted it up for the first time, since I was a bit hesitant to start with all the bad press on release.

Have to say my first impressions arent great. The character creator seems really limited? Like worse than the old Mass Effect games.. whats up with this? Is it just me or is this really shitty character creator?

It's not just you, it's been pretty universally panned. Also it seems a lot of the NPCs were made with it so you'll see a lot of similar looking NPCs. Not as similar as the Asaris though...

obeast

The character creator is pretty bad. Unless you have a very specific design in mind, I would either use the default or browse the relevant NeoGAF or Reddit threads to find a good face that you can copy.

The opening of the game is also less than inspiring, in my opinion, and it doesn't help that the first planet you go to is the worst I've encountered so far. But it does get better, and I don't regret the 30+ hours I've sunk into ME:A. It's a flawed game, but it should be enjoyable to anyone who likes narrative RPGs of the kind that Bioware has churned out for decades.

Edit - one global recommendation: if you have completionist tendencies, I'd recommend that you suppress them. This is a very big game, with uneven quest quality. You don't need to do everything.

Madness

Nope MEA is frozen in time. Walking on the nexus in particular feels lifeless.

One of my biggest disappointments is the Nexus. Literally feels worse somehow than the Citadel of ME1. Devoid of any activity, things like Avina so lifeless and shoddy. I thought after ME2 and ME3, they would realize how important something like the Nexus would be.

aBbZwt2.jpg

I was speechless the first time it flew by, and nearby NPC's flocked to see it. I thought next gen, Mass Effect would be ten times better in this regard and yet the Nexus feels like it is from 2010. I honestly feel like the Outposts are more lively and impressive.

Doodis

Dhan shotgun, baby! 1200 damage a shot at rank VI with the right mods, and with the bio-converter, never reload again. Pair it with a Kett Carfalon to restore health if you need to and you'll rampage through everything.

I love it. It's like I've combined a Vanguard from ME3 with a Reaver from DA:I.

Okay, what exactly are the "right mods?" I need to know exactly how to make this thing! I haven't really dabbled in the research/development much because I'm scared I'll waste my points and augmentations on something stupid. But this looks amazing.

I liked them, and I've never done Sudoku before. Once you get that only one of each symbol can only go in each row and column, it narrows down the permutations quite a bit. The once that disallows you to use a bypass key was a bit of a head scratcher--took me about three tries. The reward for cracking it (
just some remenant parts for crafting
) wasn't even worth it, in my opinion. LOL

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've done 100% on Eos, Havald and Voeld, and I'm about to go to Kadara. Haven't done a single loyalty mission yet.

How far am i into the game if I intend to do every loyalty missions? 50%?

The Apex app is driving me nuts. Now that I actually know what mission points do I hardly get any new missions. Yesterday it wouldnt let me start any missions in the app, every time I clicked on one of my teams it would say that they were already on a mission even though they were not. I want that damn juggernaut shield so fucking bad. Is there any other way to get mission points?

Top Bottom