• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

I'm reaching breaking point with SAM. It's like it was designed for someone with OCD or something. I can't drive around for 5 fucking seconds without being alerted to some resources, a quest, a remnant structure, the weather, another quest, more resources, the weather, more quests... AAAHHH! By the time I've got anywhere I'm so distracted with so much bullshit I can't even think straight.

Altairre

Kadara is my favorite planet so far. I don't think the Kett are particularly compelling bad guys, at least so far, so I like that Kadara shifts away from that a bit. The stuff about the exiles and the other different factions is similar to the things I liked most in the first three games.

What goddamn gun is that?

Dhan shotgun, baby! 1200 damage a shot at rank VI with the right mods, and with the bio-converter, never reload again. Pair it with a Kett Carfalon to restore health if you need to and you'll rampage through everything.

I love it. It's like I've combined a Vanguard from ME3 with a Reaver from DA:I.

hawk2025

I sure am playing this a lot for something that had such an underwhelming intro.

It's deeply flawed, but I like this game.

Also, what the fuck at these Knuckles-looking alien monstrosities.

For fuck's sake, Bioware.

Just beat the main story at around 20.5 hrs. Really enjoyed my time with it, despite some issues like the menus and crafting. Also, really miffed that a good majority of the trophies I should have received never actually went through, really frustrated me after I beat the story and realized I should have had more trophies than I actually did.

20 hours....damn. I'm at 35ish and just got to Kadara.

Arklite

Finally found another Ark. There's a double sidedness to this game; interesting scenario design with flat narrative execution. I don't think extra development time would've solved some of Andromeda's issues, actually I'm starting to think rushed development is a convenient excuse for some base mediocre design plans.

Dhan shotgun, baby! 1200 damage a shot at rank VI with the right mods, and with the bio-converter, never reload again. Pair it with a Kett Carfalon to restore health if you need to and you'll rampage through everything.

I love it. It's like I've combined a Vanguard from ME3 with a Reaver from DA:I.

Does the Carfalon auto restore health or is it a mod?

Cause I wanted to rock a Grammar Hammer.

Kadara is my favorite planet so far. I don't think the Kett are particularly compelling bad guys, at least so far, so I like that Kadara shifts away from that a bit. The stuff about the exiles and the other different factions is similar to the things I liked most in the first three games.

Yeah, the Kett are basically human-sized Reapers.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So apparently, in addition to the multiplayer crashes, failed mission triggers, various bugs and glitches, we also HAVE to worry about a number of Trophies not properly unlocking even if you managed to satisfy their requirements.

FUCKING bloody fantastic.

samar11

EA access 10 hour trial here..I am up to the ''better beginning'' mission and I cant go any further without purchase lol. How far is that into the game in terms of % ?

EA access 10 hour trial here..I am up to the ''better beginning'' mission and I cant go any further without purchase lol. How far is that into the game in terms of % ?

You have four other planets that are as big as that one in terms of content, plus you can only do about 15% of the activities in the demo. Plus story missions, loyalty missions.

The game itself is BioWare's biggest open world game.

Altairre

Yeah, the Kett are basically human-sized Reapers.

At least with the Reapers you have that first conversation with Sovereign and it's a great "holy shit" Moment. In Andromeda everybody talks about how bad the Archon but really so far he hasn't really done anything. He's like Thanos, just stares menacingly, mostly via hologram, and says "do not fail me again" a whole bunch. Fuck off dude, you're getting in the way of my space politics.

InX6rri.jpg

Ryder I love you so much

patapuf

Can I just say how wonderful it is to finally play an RPG of this scale and hardly ever have to worry about inventory management?

Im not sure what you mean, i feel like there's a lot of infentory and especially crafting menus i need to sift through in this game.

Especially compared to previous Mass Effect games.

The menus being terrible doesn't help.

Lol come on dude. Even the game's own loading screen says that we need to choose carefully because Ryder's choice can have consequences.

"But Dragon Age 2 was supposed to be the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2!"

You want to hate on the game, fine. But please don't create false narratives to do so. Andromeda was never billed as a trilogy that would have interwoven save imports.

Roussow

Liam's loyalty mission is some delightfully goofy shit, a ton of fun though. That conversation interrupt over communications terminal is some sitcom level stuff, music stingers and all. I'm sure that's probably on the lighter side of the loyalty stuff, tonally -- but if that's representative of the overall quality of these missions I'm in for a treat. Surprised how early it opened up, though, everyone else's has been on hold for a bit.

About an hour into Kadara now, I'm pleased with how lenient getting 100% viability is on these planets, I'm glad there's other side quests, but I'm equally glad they're not all essential.

Tempest crew / squad characterisation and dialogue remain the games highlight. Combat remains a joy, but I'm wondering how feasible it would be to branch out and have multiple profiles wildly differing play styles, currently have fully levelled the biotic charge, flamethrower, and the shield you can throw up while walking around. It's like a vanguard/sentinel play style (with the profile sent to sentinel so I can get those flamethrower buffs), I'd go full on Vanguard but the flamethrower ability is just so fucking powerful. Outside of those core 3 abilities I've just focused on passives, shield passives, shotgun passives, biotic ability passives, that sort of thing. Any of y'all got crazy varying profiles?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
"But Dragon Age 2 was supposed to be the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2!"

You want to hate on the game, fine. But please don't create false narratives to do so. Andromeda was never billed as a trilogy that would have interwoven save imports.

Sheeeshhhhhhh why are you so pissed off and incredibly defensive? Even the dude that you first quoted did not seem to imply that the "game would become a trilogy that would have interwoven save import", merely that the game rarely consider your "choices" as something that is truly meaningful, something that many that have played this game also acknowledged. Hell, many people have even commented and lamented about the unfortunate fact that even though the game has excised Paragon/Renegade, the system that it replaced it with is merely a system where Ryder said basically the same thing only with 4 slightly different ways that bear no consequence in the end whatsoever.

I like this game overall, but must we also exalt its existence without admitting all its faults lest we incur your wrath?

"Want to hate on the game?" Sheesh. No need to be so upset, a.k.a. please get over yourself.

Arklite

Does aim assist off on console feel terrible to anyone or am I just bad? I've been playing without it to git gud for MP and I'm so shit at tracking targets on PS4Pro.

Dany

Banned
So I did a lot of cool story missions back to back and it was super rewarding. I've been sorta milling about going after side missions and unlocking remenent vaults which are super tedious.

Completed a set of loyalty missions and did a series of Kandros Missions. I really like Reyes, he reminds of of the gay NPC from DA:I. But my memory is fuzzy so idk if they're just remaking the same character or not.

I also love they mRyder loves whiskey lol.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There are choices that have consequences, but most of them don't come into play until the end.

Hmmmh,

Speaking of, I really wished they just adopt ME3's conversation system, instead of the one that they're doing it right now. Outside of tonal difference in the way Ryder speaks, the Casual-Logical-Professional-Emotional system are just kinda... there, with little to no impact.

Ah well.

Renekton

Haha I'm digging the unprofessional conversation responses and quips.

It really feels like a buncha young adults way in over their heads.

Freeman76

So apparently, in addition to the multiplayer crashes, failed mission triggers, various bugs and glitches, we also HAVE to worry about a number of Trophies not properly unlocking even if you managed to satisfy their requirements.

FUCKING bloody fantastic.

Bioware are shying away in a corner rubbing their hands with glee at all the profits coming in regardless of the state they shipped their game in. The fact the game underneath all this shit is really good makes it even more frustrating.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Yeah, I also really like the ditzy option, my Sara is such a klutz it's quite endearing.

Haven't even touched the logical/professional tone even once, lol. I am saving it up for my Jerk Ryder playthrough.

Bioware are shying away in a corner rubbing their hands with glee at all the profits coming in regardless of the state they shipped their game in. The fact the game underneath all this shit is really good makes it even more frustrating.

Apparently if you are playing the game offline some of the trophies may not appear even if you satisfy their requirements. They will be awarded retroactively when you connect but apparently maybe sometimes they will not? Gah, this game.

Judging from twitter responses they are pretty upset about the kind of reactions, read abuse, people involved are getting.
Just because the lady that supposedly botched up the anims got exonerated doesn't mean these people didn't go look for new targets.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
a whole new galaxy and alien life is just humanoid and human sized. When am I gonna be able to romance some real weird shit, Bioware?

This is real honest: I am actually disappointed that Krogan romance is still out of reach, hahah.

They have Asari + Krogan romance in ME3, why not Human + Krogan? Think of all the possible scenarios, lol.

nel e nel

Still stuck on this Cardinal fight on insane.

The ai is beyond stupid. The enemy programming either ignores or snipes me. The companions instantly die, will not defend themselves and have no concept of cover fire.

Wave after wave of bullet sponge of increasing rank. I enjoy a challenge, but give me a break. About to throw in the towel.

Yeah, I was playing on hardcore and just getting repeatedly wiped by random mobs, turned it down to normal and the difference is ridiculous. Reading some of the build discussion above, it seems that adepts are pretty fragile, which is what I'm running. I also really don't like the lack of squad controls. Like, I'm the only one doing combos it seems.

This is real honest: I am actually disappointed that Krogan romance is still out of reach, hahah.

They have Asari + Krogan romance in ME3, why not Human + Krogan? Think of all the possible scenarios, lol.

I was thinking much weirder than that haha :)
All these Scifi (and fantasy) universes just having what look like cosplaying humans ala Star Trek. Do humans just think ourselves so important that the entire universe of intelligent life has to resemble us, or is it just a whole lot easier to animate because mocap.
I mean the weirdest one I can remember from ME was the Hanar but they barely move. Gimme that WTF option for laughs at least, since most of the romance interactions are already kind of awkward.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

Favorite one so far is taking down the one
Collector base
on Voeld.
Get to the cardinal who gives you some line about not knowing what you're doing and Ryder shoots back, "Because i am going to fuck. Your. Shit. Up." lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I was thinking much weirder than that haha :)
All these Scifi (and fantasy) universes just having what look like cosplaying humans ala Star Trek. Do humans just think ourselves so important that the entire universe of intelligent life has to resemble us, or is it just a whole lot easier to animate because mocap.
I mean the weirdest one I can remember from ME was the Hanar but they barely move. Gimme that WTF option for laughs at least, since most of the romance interactions are already kind of awkward.

It's probably a lot easier to animate for the developpers, plus most people would rather romance something that look vaguely human than something like an Elcor or Hanar. Sure, I can already see some people here saying they would like to see that, but you're such a minority that it's not worth it for the developpers to spend time & resources on this, even if its just for laughs.

grimmiq

On Kadara (PS4) I've noticed the game seeming to go into slow motion sometimes, not even when there's a lot of enemies on screen. Animation still looks pretty smooth, it's just slowed down to half(ish) speed.

Freeman76

Judging from twitter responses they are pretty upset about the kind of reactions, read abuse, people involved are getting.
Just because the lady that supposedly botched up the anims got exonerated doesn't mean these people didn't go look for new targets.

Yeah dont get me wrong there is no excuse for that shit. I just think Bioware need to publicly admit they need to work on the game asap to make it more stable.

Dreamseller

Neo Member
Hey Guys,

do the radiation levels on the first planet ever reach zero? I have a couple sidequests to do there, but even the level 1 zones are annoying. Do I have to establish an outpost on the second planet to trigger the clearing?

Is this supposed to be the general idea? Make an outpost on one planet. Then onto the next. Then return to the first to clean up sidequests?

Thanks.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hey Guys,

do the radiation levels on the first planet ever reach zero? I have a couple sidequests to do there, but even the level 1 zones are annoying. Do I have to establish an outpost on the second planet to trigger the clearing?

Is this supposed to be the general idea? Make an outpost on one planet. Then onto the next. Then return to the first to clean up sidequests?

Thanks.

Yeah, don't worry about needing to do everything your first time on the planet. There's a fixed story determined point later on where you'll be told about the planet being much better than before and you can revisit all those radiated zones and finish up the remaining quests.

Dreamseller

Neo Member
Yeah, don't worry about needing to do everything your first time on the planet. There's a fixed story determined point later on where you'll be told about the planet being much better than before and you can revisit all those radiated zones and finish up the remaining quests.

Cool. Thanks.

The end of the first major story arc on Eos makes it clear that you're supposed to leave ASAP. Like, really painfully clear. Everyone you talk to in the Outpost is like "oh hey Ryder shouldn't you be getting back to the Nexus?"

They didn't want another Hinterlands lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The end of the first major story arc on Eos makes it clear that you're supposed to leave ASAP. Like, really painfully clear. Everyone you talk to in the Outpost is like "oh hey Ryder shouldn't you be getting back to the Nexus?"

They didn't want another Hinterlands lol.

Eos was still way longer than necessary if you're checking each quest spot on the map within the areas you can visit in the first time through it.

If you just main the story quests, then you'll be out in an hour or two, but who does that in an RPG honestly :p

Top Bottom