• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

X-Frame

So has DF commented at all if they plan on doing a PS4 Pro technical test?

They're usually so quick but they've only shown the base PS4 and Xbox, but man does the (lack of) Pro's performance need some exposure.

obeast

ME2 Insanity was a disaster for anybody playing Adept or Vanguard, yeah. Crippled 90% of the moveset. Infiltrator, Soldier, and Engineer have an alright time of it, though. The former two more than the last.

Vanguard is actually good on insanity in ME2 once you have every biotic cooldown upgrade / item you can get your hands on (and a sniper or assault rifle to deal with ranged enemies) - just like in ME3, a full shield heal on a short cooldown is really strong. It's a bit rough in the early game, though.

It's my favorite class to play on that setting, actually, as it's powerful and satisfying without being totally broken like it is in ME3. You can't just charge into a group of enemies without getting mowed down, but you can zip around the edges of the battlefield erasing them (you still stagger them even through armor or shields, which is enough to kill nearly everything with a shotgun + melee - and then you can charge someone else to heal the damage you've taken).

grimmiq

How much of the main story do I have left? I just
stole the Salarian ship from the Archon and found where Meridian is.

Shouta

Man, I went back to ME3 and holy shit the gameplay in ME:A is so much better. ME3 is like moving a tank around in comparison. The fact that they do everything with the space bar too is just oooof.

obeast

Not much longer. 2 or 3 main missions if I remember correctly. It'll tell you when the point of no-return is.

Related question: I haven't done that mission yet, but I'd vaguely prefer to do it before visiting my last settlement world - will it make sense, narratively, to do that planet after
"Hunting the Archon."
? I'm sure the game will let me, but will it present me with an apparently time-sensitive task that wouldn't make sense to delay? Or should I do the planet first? I'm a weirdo who can't enjoy a mission unless it makes a certain amount of narrative sense.

Freeman76

So has DF commented at all if they plan on doing a PS4 Pro technical test?

They're usually so quick but they've only shown the base PS4 and Xbox, but man does the (lack of) Pro's performance need some exposure.

They did one and didnt make any waves about the shit performance.

Vamphuntr

Related question: I haven't done that mission yet, but I'd vaguely prefer to do it before visiting my last settlement world - will it make sense, narratively, to do that planet after
"Hunting the Archon."
? I'm sure the game will let me, but will it present me with an apparently time-sensitive task that wouldn't make sense to delay? Or should I do the planet first? I'm a weirdo who can't enjoy a mission unless it makes a certain amount of narrative sense.

It doesn't matter because the last missions don't take place on that world. Past this point the colonization story line becomes separated from the kett storyline.

Doodis

The important bits -

Dhan Shotgun with Bio Converter augment. Make sure you have the Remnant shield sensors augment researched. Theres some shitty glitch preventing you from equipping bioconverter if not.

I also recommend the doublemod extension augment.

For mods, the heavy melee, long barrel, and other damage boosters work. Ammo is irrelevant.

Happy hunting!

Thanks! I actually ran into the Bio Converter glitch. Was swearing up and down at my console wondering where the hell the augment was until I looked it up and found the shield sensor fix. That was slightly infuriating.

Thanks! I actually ran into the Bio Converter glitch. Was swearing up and down at my console wondering where the hell the augment was until I looked it up and found the shield sensor fix. That was slightly infuriating.

For sure! And oh, don't forget the Kett Carfalon sword to suck up the health you lose with the bio-converter.

arimanius

The important bits -

Dhan Shotgun with Bio Converter augment. Make sure you have the Remnant shield sensors augment researched. Theres some shitty glitch preventing you from equipping bioconverter if not.

I also recommend the doublemod extension augment.

For mods, the heavy melee, long barrel, and other damage boosters work. Ammo is irrelevant.

Happy hunting!

Your gif was awesome. Using the Vanguard profile for this?

JarrodL

OK, definitely didn't expect the thing that happens at the end of the Making an Impression quest on Eos.
Holy shit that was intense. Took me several attempts on Hardcore. Also it's kind of hilarious how the woman who you report to afterwards is just like "oh ok cool. Hey, at least you killed it so we don't need to worry. Ok thx bye." :D

sangreal

OK, definitely didn't expect the thing that happens at the end of the Making an Impression quest on Eos.
Holy shit that was intense. Took me several attempts on Hardcore. Also it's kind of hilarious how the woman who you report to afterwards is just like "oh ok cool. Hey, at least you killed it so we don't need to worry. Ok thx bye." :D

it was a fun surprise on Eos. Then they went and put it everywhere

edgefusion

you get something for getting all of them to 100. it's not great, but pretty funny

About that:
It actually made me a little fuzzy inside, to have a planet called Ryder-1....then I backed out to the map to find it was still called Habitat-7. >.> GG Bioware.

Sigh.... yesterday I posted about me having to erase all my progress and start over because of crashing. I just got to the part on Eos where I'm supposed to scan 2 gliphs and interact with the console and it's not letting my interact with the console.

I'm restarting my PS4 now.

Doodis

Thanks! And yes. I was just showing off the gun there so I didn't use my abilities, but I run charge/nova/annihilation in the Vanguard profile.

How exactly does annihilation work? You just turn it on and go about your business of charging/nova bombing while annihilation works passively in the background? Just wondering exactly how this loadout functions.

How exactly does annihilation work? You just turn it on and go about your business of charging/nova bombing while annihilation works passively in the background? Just wondering exactly how this loadout functions.

Something like that. Basically, annihilation applies damage over time to everyone around you while making your power cooldowns 60% longer. The damage is minimal, but it's not the point.

By leveling it up you can make the cooldowns only 20% longer; with Nova, you're gonna take the option to spend shields instead of have a cooldown, so that's fine, and Biotic Charge's 75% cooldown talent makes it so fast you can charge-spam despite Annihilation being up.

So what's the point if the damage on Annihilation sucks? By talenting it, you get:

30% of your shields back on every kill (stacking with 25% from melee in vanguard profile, etc, other bonuses)

40% bonus to your shields in combat (from one of the biotic passive trees, I forget which, that gives you 40% more shields if enemies are under an 'active effect')

40% more damage to enemies (20% from Annihilation, 20% in Offensive Biotics as a bonus effect to having a biotic effect applied)

And finally, it's a primer for biotic combos, which can be triggered with, you guessed it, charge! So you can belly-bump anyone close to you for a biotic combo.

It's amazing. Here's a link to my full build, sorry for the weird image order but on my phone and it's hard to edit. All the necessary talents are here though: http://imgur.com/a/nadAC

Tacitus_

When you activate Annihilation, it plops out a circle where enemies are affected by it and gives you a skill CD penalty. But you don't care about CD penalties when normal enemies can get oneshotted under Annihilation.

Sigh.... yesterday I posted about me having to erase all my progress and start over because of crashing. I just got to the part on Eos where I'm supposed to scan 2 gliphs and interact with the console and it's not letting my interact with the console.

Same for me but I read you can't do that unless you do the main quest first. It may not be bugged for you

sangreal

About that:
It actually made me a little fuzzy inside, to have a planet called Ryder-1....then I backed out to the map to find it was still called Habitat-7. >.> GG Bioware.

yeah, that was some bullshit

they don't even update the description to mention the terraforming project

Youlre at the wrong monolith. Go to the one next to the landing site first,

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Does Charge not combo with Annihilation? My Lance has no trouble doing it, but Charge? Nothing.

This game gets so much better after Habitat 7 goddamn

I mean still problems just mostly on the technical side that I can sorta overlook but I'm digging the story and things going on. It's pretty low-key and not some epic heroes versus villains thing (yet) which I kinda like.

I'm finally done with filling out passives. If I min maxed I'd put much more points into combat but I wanna mess around with profiles. So far set up 2 where I switch between backlash and singularity and planning to set up a 2nd tech ability after energy drain.
Yeah, I was at the wrong one. Lol.. I felt like a dumbass when I realized it.
No need to feel like that it's Bioware's fault. Peebee should have triggered at the first one you arrive no matter which one it is. As much as SAM likes to talk he has doesn't give you a hint you're wrong either.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Why is there no fucking checkpointing in the
Kett base
on Voelt? Is that true of all the
Kett bases
, assuming there's more than one?

Also that
secret boss in
the Voelt vault was intense!
Took me about 10 times to beat it,
but I'm still pretty low level.

JeffG

When you activate Annihilation, it plops out a circle where enemies are affected by it and gives you a skill CD penalty. But you don't care about CD penalties when normal enemies can get oneshotted under Annihilation.

Thanks for the explaination. I have been using all wrong.

TheMan

Ok, trying to solve a monolith on eos, having some trouble. I'm at the monolith near the kett base where you meet
the lone krogan after clearing all the bad guys and powering down the shields.

I've scanned both glyphs, but the console in the center remains inactive, "like all the others." Do I need to solve the other monolith towers before this one will work or am I missing something?

Nodnol

Just opened up the rest of Aya. Think I made the wrong decision on the previous mission, or it was at least balanced enough that either decision was going to have a downside.

Two things have surprised me so far:

- I'm actually enjoying the Angara. A worthy addition to the universe.

- Drack fills the shoes of Wrex and Grunt. As a group, and the level of interaction taken into account, the Tempest crew > Normandy crew....but the individuals of the Normandy can never be replaced. I obviously haven't played out all their arcs yet, and obviously the Normandy was across three games, so people like Joker, Chakwas, Adams et al stand out a bit more. The Tempest feels more like a collective, rather than a merry band of individuals.

I've come across a few nods to the OG games, but nothing regarding Shepard. Is it easily missed?

Ok, trying to solve a monolith on eos, having some trouble. I'm at the monolith near the kett base where you meet
the lone krogan after clearing all the bad guys and powering down the shields.

I've scanned both glyphs, but the console in the center remains inactive, "like all the others." Do I need to solve the other monolith towers before this one will work or am I missing something?
You need to go to the monolith nearest the landing site. Once you finished it the other monoliths will work, there's a reason but it's stupid and BW should feel bad about it.

Mesharey

Didn't expect that but Liam's loyalty mission is funny and good!

Just one more loyalty mission and then finish the game, maybe I'll do the last planets to 100%.

Really enjoyed the game, it's so good, it has issues but overall it's so fun.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Huh, weird. I wonder if I was mistaking it for applying to something else.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with me choosing the Vortex talent that come with this skill which make people float... could be causing Charge to not produce combos for some reason, even though Lance works just fine. But i really don't want to respec again just to check lol.

The galaxy map is just a jarring experience for me and I loved it in the original trilogy, going from cluster to cluster, even planet to planet is monotonous in my opinion. Even the music, I can barely hear it at times, does it fade in and out for anyone else?

I just saw this video

https://youtu.be/XB1vBEaDisI

And even though I am enjoying the game I can't deny that's it's absolutely crazy how things are this bad. It's shocking how much better it actually truly is in the previous games. Who the fuck at BioWare actually saw Sarah Ryder, Anderson with the huge eyes and overall just dead looking face and thought.... "yeah This looks fine"? Has it been confirmed that a different team at BioWare made this? Because it sure would explain some stuff. It's a shame though.

Doodis

Something like that. Basically, annihilation applies damage over time to everyone around you while making your power cooldowns 60% longer. The damage is minimal, but it's not the point.

By leveling it up you can make the cooldowns only 20% longer; with Nova, you're gonna take the option to spend shields instead of have a cooldown, so that's fine, and Biotic Charge's 75% cooldown talent makes it so fast you can charge-spam despite Annihilation being up.

So what's the point if the damage on Annihilation sucks? By talenting it, you get:

30% of your shields back on every kill (stacking with 25% from melee in vanguard profile, etc, other bonuses)

40% bonus to your shields in combat (from one of the biotic passive trees, I forget which, that gives you 40% more shields if enemies are under an 'active effect')

40% more damage to enemies (20% from Annihilation, 20% in Offensive Biotics as a bonus effect to having a biotic effect applied)

And finally, it's a primer for biotic combos, which can be triggered with, you guessed it, charge! So you can belly-bump anyone close to you for a biotic combo.

It's amazing. Here's a link to my full build, sorry for the weird image order but on my phone and it's hard to edit. All the necessary talents are here though: http://imgur.com/a/nadAC

Awesome, thanks!

It was Bioware Montreal but from what I can tell the further into development it got the more Edmonton pitched in.
Even if it was a B Team you can be shore someone from Edmonton signed off on all of it. It's a Bioware game full fledged.

Top Bottom