• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

mikemandey

The reviews are out, will try to read a lot of them after working.. Still excited to play and no preorder cancelled though..

I played a lot of Bioware games: NWN series, Baldur's Gate series, Jade Empire, KoToR, DA:O, DA2, DA:I, ME, ME2, ME3 and the 10 hours trial of Andromeda... Enjoyed all of them regardless the review scores... No doubt I'll enjoy this one too lol

pahamrick

I've got 300+ hours in Dragon Age Inquisition. I'm pretty sure I'll like ME:A just fine, considering I've seen more than one person say if you liked DA:I, you'll love ME:A.

But I'm not surprised at the scores, and I have my own gripes with decisions for the game, but I'm still excited to play it.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Aretak

I think this was patched out today with the 500mb patch?
Nope. I played a bit post-patch and the horrible rubberbanding is still there. I doubt that's going to be a quick and easy fix, if it can be fixed at all (ME3MP's netcode flaws never were, though they were nowhere near as bad as this).

I think this was patched out today with the 500mb patch? Either that, or the host is miles away from everyone else or has bad extranet connection. Localisation needs to be a thing: hopefully that's in that patch.

I know the sound issues in MP were fixed with the one previous (was like 230mb I think).

the video was recorded after updating to the latest patch.

hbkdx12

Has there been any confirmation that new game + will allow you to play as the other twin?

I feel like i read/heard that somewhere but i could be wrong. I don't think the old mass effects let you swap gender for new game +

Jobbs

Banned
Still no preload on PS4. Hopefully it goes up soon or else the 20 hours it takes to download anything on PSN won't get me there in time.

TI82

Banned
Well, done in this thread. The review thread basically confirmed all my fears and worries from the trial. The worst parts of Bioware writing, REALLY buggy and not even a storyline worth getting involved with.

Thanks for killing my interest in a Mass Effect game EA, you did the impossible.

:(

pahamrick

USA.

How the hell do I preload it? It's in my library with no download link. Just an overview page that says "check back soon!"

There's been this weird thing with preloads with firmware 4.5. Search for the game in your library, then click the Mass Effect that shows up in the search results -- you'll get a download link then.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Well, done in this thread. The review thread basically confirmed all my fears and worries from the trial. The worst parts of Bioware writing, REALLY buggy and not even a storyline worth getting involved with.

Thanks for killing my interest in a Mass Effect game EA, you did the impossible.

:(
I think at this point, people need to stop pinning their ire mostly on the publisher.

I mean, Bioware had 5 years to pull it off.

(Not that this redeems EA from previous sins)

hbkdx12

USA.

How the hell do I preload it? It's in my library with no download link. Just an overview page that says "check back soon!"

You can log into playstation.com and go to the store and go to the game page and there should be a pre-load button

Jobbs

Banned
There's been this weird thing with preloads with firmware 4.5. Search for the game in your library, then click the Mass Effect that shows up in the search results -- you'll get a download link then.

okay, phew. that worked. I never woulda tried that. thanks!

Karak's review saying that there are large parts without any music whatsoever really leaves me flabbergasted. No music at all in many locations you explore.

I wonder why this is the case - if they simply just didn't have enough songs to cover the game.

Yeah, I noticed this during the trial and it's not a good design choice imo, especially after the previous games gave us some great tracks to explore to. Galaxy map music is pretty good though.

Karak's review saying that there are large parts without any music whatsoever really leaves me flabbergasted. No music at all in many locations you explore.

I wonder why this is the case - if they simply just didn't have enough songs to cover the game.
They did the same thing in Inquisition despite having a huge soundtrack to draw from. They cited artistic choice and wanting the environmental atmosphere to be the star of the game. It was a widely criticized and unpopular choice, so I'm not sure why they're making the same choice in Andromeda...

It's why I avoid all review threads. Better to just stay out of it.

I'll form my own opinion of the game when I get it and play it.
Yep, not going into that thread. Looking forward to going into this absolutely blind beyond the trial. I don't plan on even reading any reviews until I've beaten the main story.

JoeBoy101

Shinobi was mentioning the same thing in his impressions.

Overall, sad to see the review aggregate lower than anticipated, but its pretty divisive given some 9s and low as into 5s. I had fun with it, so will play gladly.

Rellik

My copy just dispatched here in the UK from SimplyGames so I'm getting hyped now.

Shinobi was mentioning the same thing in his impressions.

Wasn't this a thing in DA:I as well? You'd be walking around the Hinterlands and then you'd get a little piece of this awesome music... and then nothing.

Truant

Just watched the Giant Bomb quicklook.

Is this game for real? The NPCs at the 25 minute mark look straight out of early last gen.

Everything about this game looks so unfinished.

How did Bioware managed to mess up side quests in this game yet again, is truly beyond me. They promised that this game won't be another DA:I with tons of fetch quests, yet here we are.

Jobbs

Banned
I denno. I don't really care what the scores are. I love sci fi, I love space missions, and I really enjoyed playing the trial on origin access, so I bought it. The animations don't bother me and I don't care if a reviewer gave it a 7. A lot of reviewers gave the best game of 2014 a super low score, too

TheYanger

How did Bioware managed to mess up side quests in this game yet again, is truly beyond me. They promised that this game won't be another DA:I with tons of fetch quests, yet here we are.

DA:I 'mmo quests' that people hated were things like shards and closing rifts for no reason other than completion. A quest that involves just going and talking to someone or going and murdering enemies for some story resolution isn't a 'fetch quest'

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Cross posted this in the review thread: also thought you OT crowd would enjoy it, Gameplanet's review (an Aussie/Kiwi community of gamers, on MC). 80/100. Here's an exert that I really dig:

It's a sprawling adventure heavily influenced by '50s sci-fi, particularly in the design of its world and gear, but also in its wonder and warmth. It sports a transparent glass bubble with an antenna rather than an opaque angular space marine helmet.

Such a wide and divisive score base, having said that: I know I'm going to love my time in Andromeda based on my trial alone - but I can see what some of the criticisms are about for sure: a fun and flawed space adventure, much like ME1 in many ways.

Just watched the Giant Bomb quicklook.

Is this game for real? The NPCs at the 25 minute mark look straight out of early last gen.

Everything about this game looks so unfinished.

Yeah, technically it does and it seems to have the bare bones of an interesting plot - just like FFXV did - but seems to have forgotten how important good writing is...A real disappointment.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
The rubberbanding is from having a bad host.

Exactly. Played the 10h trial mostly in MP (huge ME3 MP fan), I got fiber-optic internet and always hosted : not a single match with any problem. I played with my buddy from ME3 in vocal who's got a pretty weak broadband connection and told me he didn't have any issue.

It's your standard p2p matchmaking thing, so shitty host means shitty experience, simple as.

DA:I 'mmo quests' that people hated were things like shards and closing rifts for no reason other than completion. A quest that involves just going and talking to someone or going and murdering enemies for some story resolution isn't a 'fetch quest'
You are banned so you clearly can't answer, but a lot of outlets are saying that there are many quests that just ask you to go somewhere and scan something, and then come back, rinse and repeat.

That's definitely the kind of side quests that I didn't like in DA:I, and something that I consider to be a fetch quest.

This is literally something that was a problem back in ME1 when exploring on worlds, quite shocked that they decided to do it again after knowing how important music is to this series (and to sci-fi settings in general).

But overall I'm still keen to play this game and establish my own impressions, as I'm a fan of what I've actually played so far.

Staf

That was a huge issue in DA:I. There was no background music in any areas which really did make it feel soulless. I read about this being an issue during the trial but Shinobi said this was only the case in the Nexus...

It's a shame the reviews are so low. I've been hyped since it was announced, and I enjoyed my time with the trial despite some (mostly) cosmetic flaws.

When playing the trial I just wanted to here some classic ME themes. Music was always a major part of the atmosphere of the original three and it being lacking here is a disappointment.

Ascenion

When playing the trial I just wanted to here some classic ME themes. Music was always a major part of the atmosphere of the original three and it being lacking here is a disappointment.

The whole OST is up on YouTube it seems. It's 18 tracks and honestly nothing to be proud of.

Hood815

Will there be a patch to upgrade the resolution on xbox ? I played the early access and really enjoyed it but the game seemed blurry to me ? I turned film grain off but it still looked really low res :/ ? maybe its because this is my first mass effect on console ? I played them all on a high end pc when they were coming out so they were always 1080p my pc is 9 years old now and can't run andromeda even at low setting :(

Rellik

Will there be a patch to upgrade the resolution on xbox ? I played the early access and really enjoyed it but the game seemed blurry to me ? I turned film grain off but it still looked really low res :/ ? maybe its because this is my first mass effect on console ? I played them all on a high end pc when they were coming out so they were always 1080p my pc is 9 years old now and can't run andromeda even at low setting :(

It runs pretty much the same as all Bioware games do on the Xbox One. I don't think you'll see a resolution jump until Scorpio.

Hood815

It runs pretty much the same as all Bioware games do on the Xbox One. I don't think you'll see a resolution jump until Scorpio.

Ah okay ive not played any other bioware games on x1. I cant make my mind up to upgrade to scorpio or build a pc next year !!!
Either way im sure the low resolution wont take anything away from the game for me :)

nOoblet16

Is the PC version unlocked in Australia/New Zealand yet?

No it doesn't Dragon Age Inquisition is the only other Bioware game on Xbox One and that game is fixed 900P with really solid 30FPS.

Top Bottom