• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

a916

I don't put too much stalk in that completion percentage... doe that take into count all collectibles or just the big story driven missions?

It can be deceiving until we know what it's made of.

Rozart

Current status:

21 hours, 22 minutes played.
Level 24 Ryder
34% Completion

If you're a fan of this series and you can weather the first couple hours, I think you're going to love this game.

Do the cast of characters (mainly your party members) get more interesting/memorable btw? Because I personally found Cora, Liam and to a lesser extent, Vetra, to be pretty bland. I'm basing my judgement on what I've seen streamed from the early access trial.

Although, to be fair, Jacob and Miranda weren't particularly riveting characters from the get-go when you first met them too.

Harlequin

Wait, is it true that straight female Ryder only has these romance options:
Liam and Suvi
?

No.
Suvi is a woman :p. From what we know, straight female Ryder's options are Liam, Jaal and Reyes (though we're still not sure if Reyes is a full romance or more of a fling).

Never thought I would say this for a Mass Effect game but... I am waiting on the reviews for this. The somewhat low enthusiasm here on GAF has me worried.

Never thought I would say this for a Mass Effect game but... I am waiting on the reviews for this. The somewhat low enthusiasm here on GAF has me worried.
It's normal. It is still a highly anticipated game but the numerous bugs and animation problems are worrying.

Ushay

Wait, is it true that straight female Ryder only has these romance options:
Liam and Suvi
?

edit: wait,
Suvi
is female so this list has to be whack. Anyone got a complete list of possible female romance options?

Straight female .. Suvi .. o_O

AFAIK

Cora/Liam - Straight
Suvi - Les
Peebee/Vetra - Bi
I think there is another fella that is gay, forget his name.

How are the animations on male ryder?

I can't speak for others but I find the actual gameplay animations ie combat to be pretty good a step up from previous game. You will love the new mobility.

I much prefer the current OT title: "Through my fault" or "I apologize" in latin doesn't feel right to me, personally (especially with the circus that's been going down lately in the media/extranet).

Fair enough

Wish I could remember the other awesome one I saw that wasn't as negative

kubus

That second one is a very interesting interpretation of "straight"
Jaal is also an option
No.
Suvi is a woman :p. From what we know, straight female Ryder's options are Liam, Jaal and Reyes (though we're still not sure if Reyes is a full romance or more of a fling).
Lol yeah already edited my post when I realized Suvi is female :p. I got that list from a random website. Thanks for the names. Pretty disappointing tbh :(

edit: wait this
Reyes
sounds interesting... Fingers crossed for a full romance.

Silvard

Honestly ignore MEA completely and immerse in Hyrule first. By the time you're done, MEA will have more patches in.

Well, I still have to wait at least until Wednesday to get my Switch, so...

Also: Nier, Nioh, Persona 5, Horizon... lots of big games to keep you occupied while ME:A gets some refinement.

I already finished everything but P5 on that list. I don't know what to play until Wednesday. It really feels like any game I play until then will inevitably be put on hiatus.

Harlequin

How are the animations on male ryder?

Body/gameplay animations are pretty good though he sometimes likes to stumble on staircases. Facial animations are a bit of a mixed bag but then the facial animations in this game are generally kind of bad so that's not exclusive to male Ryder.

I never saw it during the trial but I thought both ryders were supposed to have an "under-armour" casual clothing piece that you can see in certain trailers and footage. Maybe something you can buy later on?

AHA-Lambda

I'm the same.
There's too much about this to be sceptical of, and too many other great games just out, plus I'm wary of the influence Inquisition will have had. I'll wait for more impressions and a sale.

I think I need some Asian Female Ryder sliders. I've tried but I'm just not getting it right.

fhJJD7yl.jpg

preset 1
brow 2 6
cheek 13 8 9
chin 14 9 4 5
eyes 9 3 10
mouth 3 10 9 0
nose 2 5 11 8

Harlequin

Lol yeah already edited my post when I realized Suvi is female :p. I got that list from a random website. Thanks for the names. Pretty disappointing tbh :(

edit: wait this
Reyes
sounds interesting... Fingers crossed for a full romance.

Yup. I'm also hoping for a full
Reyes
romance because he's the only M/M option I find interesting (he's bi... probably).

kubus

Yup. I'm also hoping for a full
Reyes
romance because he's the only M/M option I find interesting (he's bi... probably).
I can't find any images of him, except maybe this gif? Do you know if that's him? That accent tho <3. I may just be able to live out my fantasy of wooing a space Diego Luna. rawr.

Harlequin

I can't find any images of him, except maybe this gif? Do you know if that's him? That accent tho <3. I may just be able to live out my fantasy of wooing a space Diego Luna. rawr.

Yeah, that's him. There's also a video of him out there somewhere (that's where that gif came from) but I don't have the link on me right now. His skin seems to look a bit too orange in it (nothing a quick patch wouldn't be able to fix, though), other than that he looks good :D.

EDIT: Looks like the video got taken down. Here are two more screens from it (no real spoilers other than what he looks like and you already know that :p). http://bsn.boards.net/post/423940

What was GAFs anticipation for Doom last year before the reviews/ release? It was pretty negative before it came out. Now this is apples to oranges as Doom is pretty much in a different ballpark all on its own but GAF negativity is not forebearer for how a game will turn out.

Though it could go either way in the next 15 mins.

ajanke

22-23 hours in on the PS4 pro. Beginning is a little slow but this game has fully got its teeth sunken into me.

HariKari

What was GAFs anticipation for Doom last year before the reviews/ release? It was pretty negative before it came out. Now this is apples to oranges as Doom is pretty much in a different ballpark all on its own but GAF negativity is not forebearer for how a game will turn out.

Though it could go either way in the next 15 mins.

Release day embargoes shouldn't be a thing in either case.

kubus

Sooo are the reviews dropping in 3 minutes?

Where is the review thread? Should I make one? I've done a few of them before and I've got time to kill.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So ah, there's no more renegade/paragon anymore. How am I supposed to be a ruthless asshole to everyone not part of my crew (and the downtrodden)? That's what made repeat playthroughs so great.

vivekTO

Sooo are the reviews dropping in 3 minutes?

Where is the review thread? Should I make one? I've done a few of them before and I've got time to kill.

Yeah, I never made a one, or else i would have made myself.you can create the review thread.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is the whole "you can't make a white character" thing legit or is that just people spreading bullshit?

Being in the same war doesn't mean they're the same age. Ryder sr is pretty damn old looking too, he could be a grandfather, just isn't. Ryder sis and bro (you) are pretty damn young too.

If anything, the real issue is Pressly's grandfather's mention in the older games, the war's date is established already, and it's only 26 years between that time and Mass Effect 1. Like, that's a really tight timeline for that to occur even in the old games, Andromeda isn't the outlier there, Pressly is. That said, assuming he's an admiral type senior officer, it's believable I suppose. Just not in the like "This happened ages ago" sense which is what that type of story would typically be told like (For example, my Grandfather served in WW2, I wouldn't say "My grandfather served in Afghanistan 2 years ago" though even if it were true, it's just an odd way to say it).

You certainly can. They're just mostly uglier than the ethnic faces.

I mean at least two of the male presets I saw apart from Scott were white, so I'm pretty sure that's BS.

You certainly can, it's just that a number of presets do not allow people to make characters that look northern European more so than someone from the Mediterranean in skin tone.

The skin tone slider simply doesn't go as far to the left as it could be doing. Although that's the least of the problems with it seeing how you can't change complexions and eyes + nose + mouth shapes independent of the preset.

You can definitely make white characters but it does seem more difficult to create decent-looking white characters because the character creator is so limiting and some of the presets tend to look you into relatively narrow skin tone ranges (not to mention that you can't change nose or eye shapes so if a preset has got, for example Asian-looking eyes and an Asian-looking nose, you can't change that). So far, female Asians seem to be the easiest to get right with the character creator judging by the pictures I've seen. I have also seen a few decent-looking white guys but most of the time when I've tried creating one of those in MEA's CC, he ended up looking more Latino than white. So yeah, long story short, the character creator is shit.

Related:

j3yZZr.jpg

6 from Gamespot, oof.

Woww ://// I thought at the very least it can get an 8 from GS ://///

Now I know not everyone is a fan of those Gamer Poop Mass Effect videos (I find then hilarious at times) but I wonder if they're even possible to do with Andromeda (because of the Frostbite engine) or if the narrative simply won't work. Still, I've enjoyed re-watching them again.

lumzi23

Played some hours. Mild spoilers for those going in bling

Good
Looks lovely. Far and away the best looking Bioware game I have played. Maybe even the best looking game on my system.
For those who complained about the lack of hubs in ME3
this game looks like it will be hub city (Maybe Goat).
Story overall seems good and the game gives a great feeling (most of the time).
Not as Janky as I expected. Animations are nowhere near as bad as I expected.
Characters looks surprisingly good given all the gif bashing and what not. Even their eyes. Turians, Salarians and Krogans look excellent.

Bad:
Maybe it will improve but I am not feeling combat perfectly yet. This is where the jank is strongest so far.
During combat: They. Just. Will. NOT. SHUT. UP!!!! I actually cried out at one point.
Some wonky lines here and there.

Ulong

I wonder how avoidable the side questing will be. In mass effect 1 sidequesting was garbage, but also very easy to completely skip on subsequent playthroughs and have a good time. Some games create a feeling that you have to do at least some of the side content though, in order to keep pace with experience/money/something.

Top Bottom