• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

So, I'm curious; who is everyone's favorite character in the squad?

PeeBee. She's a goof ball. She asked Jaal if she was the first and only Asari he's ever met. He said Yes to her being the first but no to her being the only. She asked what other Asari has he met, and he calmly replied, Lexi. She responded, "Oh Yeah"

Plus she slept with me

witness

Really enjoying a maxed charge build with energy drain and incinerate as my other abilities. I can keep setting both up as primers and constantly detonate them with charge, it's a fucking relentless build. I also maxed out offensive biotics and have taken practically all the tech passives and combat fitness. I much prefer the tech primers to the biotic primers and it helps that they also double as detonators when needed. Think I finally found my ideal sentinel build 52 hours in and 38 levels later.

Ric Flair

Banned
My problem with the side quests are how unoriginal they all are. The premise for half of them is some guy/girl working on a computer is noticing some odd spikes somewhere in the system, and they can only pinpoint several hot points which they need you to scan. Fuck that. That shit is straight up lazy busy work. I can only play an hour or so before getting bored with the game, never had that with any previous Mass Effect game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Peebee followed by Drack and Jamal. Pretty indifferent to the rest.

Someone give me the quick rundown on this game.
Is it a good game despite the bad animations?
does it have meaningless mmo tier sidequests like DAI?
Is the gameplay fun and an improvement of ME3?
Is the writing as bad as some clips I saw on youtube?
IS ME1 still the best ME?

It's a good game. I gave it an 8 after beating. Animation stuff didn't really bother me.

Lots of bad sidequests, but plenty of good ones. I suggest skipping most or all of the ones under additions tasks and doing most or all of the Heleus missions and ally/relationship ones. Some bad ones in those too, but most at least have decent stories and character moments.

Combat is a ton of fun. Better movement with the jump pack. You can't control squadmate power usage though.

Writing is bad in places, and the main plot is pretty lackluster. The really clunky lines, like the really bad animation glitches, are a minority of the time though.

ME2 is still the best.

Vengal

Thinking of putting my 2nd playthrough on hold until they improve the character creator.

Hopefully, it will happen before the summer.

I think that I'm in the same boat.I jumped into a new game+ to see the updated eyes and noticed they did look better but some strange stuff with reflective tongue textures.

Also your guns coming over to new game+ and I didn't have any appropriate weapons for the build I wanted to play. So I may need to play my main save some or start from scratch.

deafmedal

Really enjoying a maxed charge build with energy drain and incinerate as my other abilities. I can keep setting both up as primers and constantly detonate them with charge, it's a fucking relentless build. I also maxed out offensive biotics and have taken practically all the tech passives and combat fitness. I much prefer the tech primers to the biotic primers and it helps that they also double as detonators when needed. Think I finally found my ideal sentinel build 52 hours in and 38 levels later.

Add a custom Reegar with the aug that refills for health, pop a cryo ammo and prepare for maximum lulz... so many explosions heh. Wait till you get around lvl55+ with most passives maxed 0_o

You mean to tell me I have teammates?!

sasliquid

Finished this morning after ~45 hours. Man after considering stoping several times in the first 10/20 hours, I really enjoyed the second half.

Still dissapointing but that's because it could have clearly been great with more time and the fat cut off. I mean the game is a lot better once I ignored everything but priority and ally ops.

7/10 Drack is best. Glad I played it but don't see myself replaying it like ME2/3. Would buy sequel or DLC if it's good.

Ricker

Man this game is awesome so far...just did the big story part on EOS and it was great...graphics inside that place where amazing,(it reminded me a bit of the Cauldrons in Zero Dawn),combat is starting to feel better(got use to the cover a bit),your squad,besides Cora for me lol,are great,PeeBee's introduction and all was great...still havent met Sara but even the animations and direction aren't so bad in the cutscenes...I hope it keeps up,loving it right now.

Aspiring

So have now done all loyalty missions, have played for 60 odd hours and still have a bit to go im assuming and it actually gets a lot better. At first I hated it. Than their were bits i loved followed quickly by wanting to give it up. But now I think I actually really like it. It's no where near the original trilogy but it's not as bad as most reviews make out.

My biggest complaint is there is too many mundane side quests. Like seriously. And most are garbage. So far i have done every one i can and I only have 3 tasks in my log but man do they get annoying. Everytime i land on a planet and see the exclamation mark i die.

but other than that for me so far it's probably an 8. Not bad.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
In the future all of our communication will be through email and audio logs, which we will carelessly leave open on unsecured tablets and computer terminals conspicuously sprinkled throughout our living spaces.

Jaal is the best - he's become more of a bro to my Ryder than even Garrus did in the first ME. Then Drack. But the rest of the squad are also really good and I can't decide on a third place (apart from Liam, who's okay but not that engaging) - they've made a really likeable bunch and I hope this isn't the last we see of them.

I haven't finished the game yet, but If I could ask for anything at the moment in terms of character development, it would be that SAM [Voeld sidequest spoiler]
and the somewhat unhinged Ancient angaran AI that I hooked up in SAM node somehow merge together and SAM gets more of a personality or at least something interesting going on with him.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Good god these memory triggers are annoying.
The man responsible for this shit should be fired immediately. I mean, WTF BioWare?! Is everyone in the team though that this was a good Ideal to tell us go and activate these memory trigger all over the map in each golden world? HUH?! What's even the fucking piont in doing this? Have you ever considered to make them unlock throguh story progression? NO! Better let us waste our time finding and activating them. >{+_#*(@"*?!!!&$(*&!

PeeBee, Drak, Cora, Vetra and Jaal if you don't count the ship crew.

I also really laked Reyes - really cool character which could have been a much better squad mate than shitty Liam. I'd like to see more stuff with Reyes actually.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this morning after ~45 hours. Man after considering stoping several times in the first 10/20 hours, I really enjoyed the second half.

Still dissapointing but that's because it could have clearly been great with more time and the fat cut off. I mean the game is a lot better once I ignored everything but priority and ally ops.

7/10 Drack is best. Glad I played it but don't see myself replaying it like ME2/3. Would buy sequel or DLC if it's good.
Hmmm. I might focus on the priority and ally ops only then. I was a pretty big fan of ME, but this game is just boring...I'm only on the second planet but it's a serious slog.

Freeman76

I've come to the conclusion that everyone either loves or hates Peebee. There is no in between with her.

I'm indifferent to her, never work in absolutes my friend.

Any word on when or if they are likely to improve the Pro performance yet?

arhra

Good god these memory triggers are annoying. Missing two i believe but have no idea which and no map markers.

They all have map markers. Make sure you've checked the maps that have multiple levels (there was one at the top of the tower on Havarl, IIRC, which could be easy to miss if you didn't grab it while you were there as there's not really any reason to go back).

Megasoum

Banned
Sigh... The number of times I've failed a Space Sudoku simply because I press A to input the first symbol instead of using the triggers...

mbpm1

Jaal. Like javik from me3 he just works great as the outsider character. Then drack. Then most of the crew reside in the same tier of being cool sometimes. Then cora.
PeeBee. She's a goof ball. She asked Jaal if she was the first and only Asari he's ever met. He said Yes to her being the first but no to her being the only. She asked what other Asari has he met, and he calmly replied, Lexi. She responded, "Oh Yeah"

Plus she slept with me
BIAS

Peebee is cool tho

Laiza

Funny how different things work for different people.

Aside from the quests with no map markers (which are absolutely a complete waste of time - even a general search area would be nice!), I haven't found myself utterly bored with this game at any point during my long, long playtime. I think a lot of it is because I find myself completely absorbed with the role of the Pathfinder - the sense that I'm actually doing good and making worlds more and more habitable for settlement by sapient populations is quite palpable in this game, and it really helps to keep me going even through the more monotonous tasks. Apparently I'm one of the few here that was taken in by the main story, as I definitely felt a sense of investment into everything I've done in Heleus.

Also helps that I'm a hugely visual person and find myself absorbed with the graphical splendor of the environments a lot of the time. I can literally just throw myself into the Nomad and drive across landscapes and be perfectly happy doing that for an hour or three. The whole setting is right up my alley in a way that few other games can be. I also really dig the look of the weapons and armor - especially the Heleus Icon set, which I haven't taken off once since I got it. (Makes me wish we could just wear whatever armor we want in multiplayer - having only the human kineticist wearing the T2 version of the set is pretty sad!)

I'm enjoying the choices we have to make and actually found myself agonizing over a few of them - definitely going to go through another playthrough to see how the alternate routes play out. I also just want to continue my progression and see how overpowered I can become with two of the trees completely maxed out. (Seeing how quickly my weapon damage ballooned when I invested in combat sure was a treat!) The actual game part of the game really clicks with me and I just want to play more of it.

I definitely have my gripes, though. For starters, research points are heavily unevenly distributed - I have a ton of surplus Milky Way and Remnant points but not even enough Heleus points to research the advanced Heleus Defender armor. Warping between star systems and landing on/departing from planets definitely need to be skippable still. Gun projectile augments are hilariously unbalanced - pretty much all of them are terrible and will nerf your damage output heavily. This one particularly hurts me because I LOVE the beam emitter effects, but I can't use it without completely gimping my damage output. We're literally talking about dealing a fraction of your normal damage here - how the hell did they think that was acceptable? Boggles my mind, really.

And of course, some of the writing is definitely spotty at points, though I would say that the actually bad parts are a definite minority in the game - most of it is at least serviceable when it's not outright good. A lot of the squad banter can be quite charming at times, and helps me to empathize with them more. Jaal in particular is one of the sweetest, most adorable characters that's ever been in a Mass Effect game, and I love him dearly. He's definitely the kind of character I want to be affectionate with.

I do wish that the setting would do away with some of its more... outdated assumptions. Technological progress is slower in the ME universe than it is in the real-world, and that's not even considering the fact that progress is speeding up thanks to the compounding effects of computing technology. The idea that there would be diseases (aging included among them especially) that could not be cured in short order is absolutely ludicrous in light of the crazy (quantum) computing power and sensor technology present in the ME universe. Why do Salarians still only live some 40-odd years when they have the technology to end aging forever?

It's okay, though - I can stomach it for now, since it's difficult for folks to fathom the idea of a society that is so unshackled by our current limitations. Eventually I think the series is going to need a reboot just to refresh the setting to keep up with modern technological progress - keep it from feeling so anachronistic that the setting is no longer believable. Hell, I think that's going to happen big-time in the 2020s - we're already seeing some very real progress in this area today, so just imagine once we've really put in some time! A sci-fi setting where some things are literally behind the real-world just doesn't work anymore. It's too immersion-breaking. I guess that's how you can tell we're at the cusp of something big - when we're making so much progress so fast that our fiction just can't keep up.

I digress. I'm really enjoying the game otherwise and don't see myself putting it down anytime soon. I'll probably skip most of the side quests on my following playthrough, but I enjoy it enough that I can't say I'm disappointed. It's only going to improve further over the course of the following months too, so I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully they deliver!

Freeman76

Sigh... The number of times I've failed a Space Sudoku simply because I press A to input the first symbol instead of using the triggers...

I really dislike those puzzles. They arent really well designed and feel like more of a hinderance. I would have been happier with actual Soduko puzzles lol.

I have put about 20 hours in now, Got Eos to 75% Havarl at 30% and Vield at 20%. How far in is this? Been doing loads of fetchy missions, lost track.

mbpm1

The fetch quests wouldn't be so bad if they had more going for them. The one where you had to go mark spots and had the kid's recording urging you on was actually pretty nice.
Like one of those Stargate sg1 minor eps

TheFatMan

Just beat the game with 96% completion at 68 hours. Level 60.

The final mission is really something, pretty awesome all around. I only wish more of the game was done this well. The main missions and Loyalty stuff is really really well done. Unfortunately the same can't be said about most of the other missions, and the bugs that are all over this game really take away from it.

It's weird because at times I'm like, this game is a solid 9. And then I'll turn around and find myself thinking, what a piece of shit this game barely deserves a 6 at other parts. It's very up and down and disjointed.

The characters grew on me a lot and I look forward to seeing what happens in Andromeda 2...assuming we get one which I think we will.

Time to move on to Persona 5

LightInfa

I really dislike those puzzles. They arent really well designed and feel like more of a hinderance. I would have been happier with actual Soduko puzzles lol.

I have put about 20 hours in now, Got Eos to 75% Havarl at 30% and Vield at 20%. How far in is this? Been doing loads of fetchy missions, lost track.

If you want to keep doing side missions I'd say you're not even half way.

Iberian

I use it alot. Tears through shields something fierce. Downside is you got to be perfectly on target, which sounds easy, but it kinda isn't. Also, it isn't as effective against armor.

Add to the PAW Incendiary Ammo, couple it with a detonator, and your will tear mechs in a matter of seconds.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I find myself completely absorbed with the role of the Pathfinder - the sense that I'm actually doing good and making worlds more and more habitable for settlement by sapient populations is quite palpable in this game, and it really helps to keep me going even through the more monotonous tasks.

Yours was a very interesting post altogether, but with this one point in particular I couldn't agree more. I've felt a connection to even the smallest task, as Pathfinder. Don't get me wrong, after nearly 70 hours playtime I've largely abandoned the task section of my journal, mainly because I've now got so many other (I think) more pressing matters to deal with, but the role of Pathfinder has me immersed in a way I honestly never expected.

MCD250

Re: the role of Pathfinder, one thing I will say that I thought they did really well is the way Ryder (Scott, in my case) seems to subtly and gradually grow into the position as the game goes on. I mean, everyone more or less acts like you're king of the universe practically from the get-go, but Ryder himself (and I assume it works the same with Sara) seems to come across as quite insecure and inexperienced in the role at the beginning. How that insecurity manifests can vary, of course (from folksy and self-deprecating "haha, I'm just making it up as I go" and "who knows, it's an adventure!" type answers to more professional platitudes that can come across as pat or naive), but it's there all the same and it's especially perceivable in the cutscenes where Ryder has crew meetings with the folks aboard the Tempest.

But as you go on, I definitely got a sense that Ryder seemed to grow more confident and self-assured, even though it's not something that the game explicitly highlights at any point (and I feel that that's for the better, to be honest). As the game progresses, Ryder seems to stand just a little bit straighter, his answers become a little more declarative, other characters seem to show a bit more deferential respect. It's a very well presented progression into the role of leader and one that works much better in this game than in, say, Dragon Age: Inquisition.

1. Drack, easily. He's basically Rex 2.0, if he were to mellow out with age.
2. Jaal is like a less asshole version of Javik. Outsider looking in.
3. I personally liked Peebee, but then my FemRyder got it on with her. Her parentage is hilarious.
4. Vetra is pretty cool, especially once her character starts getting fleshed out in her loyalty quest.
5. Cora is ok, I just wish she talked more about anything other than the asari and wanting to be pathfinder all the time.
Poc
7. Liam - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Rarely took him anywhere.

Alo0oy

Banned
They really shot themselves in the foot when they decided only 100k people came from milky way, it makes the entire game look nonsensical.

So 100k people traveled through 3 arks + The Nexus, then stage an uprizing, leave the Nexus and act as space pirates, gaining impressive influence on the entire Cluster, and being able to compete with people native to the Cluster (with a presumed population of billions). They also think 1 planet isn't enough to carry them tens of thousands of years. They need 6 planets for 100k people, seriously.

The worst part is that the vast majority of those milky way people were actually inside their stasis pod and haven't been revived for most of the game.

Everything would have made more sense if they switched the k with m, and it would be believable with how huge the Arks and the Nexus are if everybody is asleep in a stasis pod.

I think underneath it's issues, this could have been a great game and it's just a damn shame that it released in a sub-par condition because the work that went into it's realisation (and the creators' love of the series and setting) is obvious to me. Not interested in who's to blame, but more dev time to polish up facial animations, bugs and stuff was needed and hopefully hard lessons have been learned.

I think it's great that a lot people are really enjoying the game and I would never tell you that you are wrong for liking something. I actually had some fun with the game and overall I see it as a 6/10 above average experience (maybe a 7 if they continue improving through patching).

But I just quickly wanted to touch on the bolded, as I actually see it as a problem. To me, this game feels like it was made by fans of Mass Effect rather than fans of science fiction. The game is rife with references to Mass Effect races/characters/events/overall lore, but handwaves away any interesting scifi stuff with little explanation (try comparing the level of detail in planet descriptions for example). Most elements of this game feel like they exist because they are "Mass Effect" things: Nexus = Citadel, Kadara = Omega, Kett =
Collectors/Reapers
, Remnant ruins =
Prothean ruins
, etc. The original Mass Effect really felt like an homage to classic scifi, something that came through every element of the game, from the spacesuit like armor, synth music, film grain, etc. Stuff like the Rachni and Geth have obvious scifi analogues without feeling like ripoffs. Bioware was able to capture the "feel" of 70s/80s science fiction in a way that most other games have not. Andromeda seems like a Mass Effect fangame at times rather than an evolution on that particular "feel."

I'm rambling and I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, but an analogy would be the Siege of Dragonspear expansion and other content that Beamdog added to Baldur's Gate with the Enhanced Edition. It feels like stuff that was written by people who are big fans of the original games, but are not so aware of or into the larger D&D (Forgotten Realms) picture. In interviews, the creative team behind Andromeda like to talk about how much they love Mass Effect. I remember Casey Hudson and Drew Karpyshyn discussing how much they loved classic scifi. It's hard to explain this stuff, it's more like a "feeling" I get from playing the games. Kinda like Liara "feeling" that there have been cycles of galactic extinction or whatever somehow.

They really shot themselves in the foot when they decided only 100k people came from milky way, it makes the entire game look nonsensical.

So 100k people traveled through 3 arks + The Nexus, then stage an uprizing, leave the Nexus and act as space pirates, gaining impressive influence on the entire Cluster, and being able to compete with people native to the Cluster (with a presumed population of billions). They also think 1 planet isn't enough to carry them tens of thousands of years. They need 6 planets for 100k people, seriously.

The worst part is that the vast majority of those milky way people were actually inside their stasis pod and haven't been revived for most of the game.

Everything would have made more sense if they switched the k with m, and it would be believable with how huge the Arks and the Nexus are if everybody is asleep in a stasis pod.

It's actually kinda funny considering how many outlaws you kill in game. It's like the Nathan Drake mass murderer thing since I must've killed
nearly a quarter of that 100k number just by playing the SP and grinding gold/outlaws in MP. I feel they should've upped that number to like 2-3 million instead of just 100k since on a galactic scale 2-3 million doesn't seem like too much, while also being a much more believable number for the outlaws.

I agree with you about the planets stuff though, it's not very well thought out or believable that they'd need 6 planets for just 100k people, especially since 100k is what I'd expect of the population of a small city, not an entire planet.

Arklite

I mean, everyone more or less acts like you're king of the universe practically from the get-go, but Ryder himself (and I assume it works the same with Sara) seems to come across as quite insecure and inexperienced in the role at the beginning.

Personally I've been choosing straight and curt answers from the start so Ryder has been rather no nonsense pro from my perspective.

Stiler

Jaal looks terrifying ......naked, like what the holy hell was THAT? Who thought "lets give him bone boobie plates."

Surely they could have thought of something that looked a bit more....natural/fitting? lol, it just really threw me for a loop when I saw it.

Legit thought it was a bug and something weird happened to the model, but nope...

Laiza

I'm not sure where you ever got the impression that Heleus has a population in the billions.

The Angaran people have been waging a guerilla war against the Kett for decades, while the Kett themselves only consist of the Archon's forces who are only a small fraction of the entirety of the Kett Empire (made more obvious by the secret intel you receive in one of the side quests). Their numbers are, at the most, in the tens of millions.

Meanwhile, the Milky Way colonists still possess the obvious advantage of technological superiority - it's pointed out that that is exactly what the Initiative was counting on for self-defense, though it isn't enough on its own when faced with a massive numbers disadvantage. That being said, if you look at the body counts of APEX teams they're obviously doing pretty well for themselves. Squads of three or four members taking on dozens of Kett and Remnant is pretty goddamn impressive and squares entirely well with the small number of active colonists on the Nexus and arks.

It also works well with the number of people you actually interact with in practice - your influence is obviously enormous, but in practical terms you'll never directly interact with more than a thousand people in total (including all those minions you shoot up). It's difficult to reconcile someone having massive influence over an entire cluster with the notion of that cluster having a population in the billions. You just have to assume that the numbers are much, much smaller than that overall, especially considering how small the Angaran foothold actually is.

It's actually kinda funny considering how many outlaws you kill in game. It's like the Nathan Drake mass murderer thing since I must've killed
nearly a quarter of that 100k number just by playing the SP and grinding gold/outlaws in MP. I feel they should've upped that number to like 2-3 million instead of just 100k since on a galactic scale 2-3 million doesn't seem like too much, while also being a much more believable number for the outlaws.

I agree with you about the planets stuff though, it's not very well thought out or believable that they'd need 6 planets for just 100k people, especially since 100k is what I'd expect of the population of a small city, not an entire planet.
In SP I doubt you ever shoot up more than maybe 500 outlaws if you do everything in the game. MP is another matter, however, and is definitely over-the-top with the numbers. It's easily ignorable though, since it's just a side activity.

That being said, adding another 0 to the total number of colonists certainly would've helped with the odd sense of scale in that regard. The multiplayer is really what throws everything out of whack there.

BouncyFrag

Jaal looks terrifying ......naked, like what the holy hell was THAT? Who thought "lets give him bone boobie plates."

Surely they could have thought of something that looked a bit more....natural/fitting? lol, it just really threw me for a loop when I saw it.

Legit thought it was a bug and something weird happened to the model, but nope...
I had a glitch in that scene with Liam and had two naked Jaals. Legit. Shook.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Drack came with me everywhere I went. I love that old fart.

I wish the game would have given me the option to give him a boop or something. It would be hilarious to give him a boop and then wake up in the med bay with a severe concussion.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm not sure where you ever got the impression that Heleus has a population in the billions.

The Angaran people have been waging a guerilla war against the Kett for decades, while the Kett themselves only consist of the Archon's forces who are only a small fraction of the entirety of the Kett Empire (made more obvious by the secret intel you receive in one of the side quests). Their numbers are, at the most, in the tens of millions.

Meanwhile, the Milky Way colonists still possess the obvious advantage of technological superiority - it's pointed out that that is exactly what the Initiative was counting on for self-defense, though it isn't enough on its own when faced with a massive numbers disadvantage. That being said, if you look at the body counts of APEX teams they're obviously doing pretty well for themselves. Squads of three or four members taking on dozens of Kett and Remnant is pretty goddamn impressive and squares entirely well with the small number of active colonists on the Nexus and arks.

It also works well with the number of people you actually interact with in practice - your influence is obviously enormous, but in practical terms you'll never directly interact with more than a thousand people in total (including all those minions you shoot up). It's difficult to reconcile someone having massive influence over an entire cluster with the notion of that cluster having a population in the billions. You just have to assume that the numbers are much, much smaller than that overall, especially considering how small the Angaran foothold actually is.

Even if all what you're saying is true,
that just solves 1 of many things that make the entire thing look nonsensical, 100k is nothing, especially considering the vast majority of them were in 3 Arks that were stranded and only recovered much later in the game, the human Ark had 20k people only, while the Nexus only had enough to be able to support The Nexus (let's assume that's 10k-20k), that number is insignificant no matter how advanced they are. And they only need one city in Eos to support the entire initiative population, not 6 planets.

Mossybrew

Finally finished the main story, level 51, 86% completion at just under 60 hours. I enjoyed my time mostly, but ultimately as a Mass Effect title, Andromeda is a disappointment. I don't think it's a tragedy, but it could have been so much better. Ultimately it just lacks imagination, it feels very by-the-numbers and uninspired.

UberLevi

Drack and Jaal are my new Wrex and Garrus. They're both such good characters, Jaal might be in my top 5 squadmates for the whole series. Peebee is pretty cool, too. She seems like she grows a lot. Cora is fine, I romanced her so she'd have more than just "I used to be an asari huntress" going for her. Vetra is okay because she's a Turian so by default she's kind of cool, but her whole big sister narrative didn't do much for me compared to some of the other character backgrounds. Liam is probably my least favorite, but excluding Zaeed I think he's one of the better human male squadmates.

Overall I don't really "dislike" anyone on the team like I did with Ashley or Miranda.

Top Bottom