• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Laiza

Even if all what you're saying is true,
that just solves 1 of many things that make the entire thing look nonsensical, 100k is nothing, especially considering the vast majority of them were in 3 Arks that were stranded and only recovered much later in the game, the human Ark had 20k people only, while the Nexus only had enough to be able to support The Nexus (let's assume that's 10k-20k), that number is insignificant no matter how advanced they are. And they only need one city in Eos to support the entire initiative population, not 6 planets.
I think you are heavily underestimating the challenge of starting a new colony effectively from nothing.

They have tools to build outposts, but they do not have an established infrastructure. Earth cities work the way they do because the infrastructure is already built and they're just constantly adding layers upon layers on top of it. Building a fresh colony is another matter entirely.

There is absolutely no way the arks and the Nexus carried enough tools and materials to build self-sufficient cities in a matter of days, weeks, or even months - there is simply not enough space on those vessels. They have to build up that infrastructure before they can even think about waking up tens of thousands of colonists, and having more planets with more varied resources speeds that along immensely, especially given how widely the resources available on each planet can vary (for example, Voede having massive water resources but little-to-no airable land and a lack of naturally occurring ore for construction).

It's not entirely necessary to have more than one planet - Eos could probably support them all handily, given enough development time - but people don't like waiting, a point they hammered home with the protesters and exiles. More planets, faster development, the sooner everyone can be woken up and put to work for further expansion. Pretty dead simple.

upgrading is so confusing...R&D also

I cant compare two weapons or armor pieces....bad design
It's pretty straightforward to me. The game encourages investing in a few weapons and one armor set pretty heavily, so just pick the few guns and an armor set you like and just keep researching them whenever you hit a new level breakpoint. I personally suggest only building them once every other tier (i.e. from I to III, from VI to VIII, and so on) to conserve materials since the stat differences are very small.

Armor sets never change their stats, only their stat amounts, and they're all geared towards specific playstyles (uncoincidentally related to the available profiles), Heleus Defender set aside, so there is really no reason to switch armor sets unless you want to respec your character. Also, higher rank items are pretty much universally better than lower rank ones, so there's really no need for a comparison. Either you like the way the weapon works or you don't, and you shouldn't be switching armor pieces willy-nilly.

Ruff

3 hours into the game and I thought I might actually end up liking it... Grew bored by hour 10 and pretty much mainlined the main quest to the end :/ Seems
like nothing really changes in regards to anyone dying since everyone in my crew was happy ever after at the end even with almost 0 side quests done and no friend quests. How lucky we were to be in a part of this alien galaxy where some race left literally everything we need to survive and prosper before buggering off.

Mossybrew

like nothing really changes in regards to anyone dying since everyone in my crew was happy ever after at the end even with almost 0 side quests done and no friend quests.

I wondered about this. I did all their loyalty quests, I wonder if there would be any real difference in the end. All the choices the game gives you seem extremely minor and without any real consequence.

I think one reason the Milky Way colonists are so keen on setting up small settlements on multiple planets rather than one big one on a single planet, is so they have options in case a disaster occurs or one planet doesn't pan out.

It's pretty fortunate that they happened to wind up in a cluster with so much magic ancient terraforming technology all over the place!

diaspora

I think one reason the Milky Way colonists are so keen on setting up small settlements on multiple planets rather than one big one on a single planet, is so they have options in case a disaster occurs or one planet doesn't pan out.

It's pretty fortunate that they happened to wind up in a cluster with so much magic ancient terraforming technology all over the place!
the worlds were already habitable before the Jardaan set up their terraforming infrastructure. The scans showed the planets as habitable 600 years ago, the Jardaan tech is 300-400 years old.

aliengmr

I think it's great that a lot people are really enjoying the game and I would never tell you that you are wrong for liking something. I actually had some fun with the game and overall I see it as a 6/10 above average experience (maybe a 7 if they continue improving through patching).

But I just quickly wanted to touch on the bolded, as I actually see it as a problem. To me, this game feels like it was made by fans of Mass Effect rather than fans of science fiction. The game is rife with references to Mass Effect races/characters/events/overall lore, but handwaves away any interesting scifi stuff with little explanation (try comparing the level of detail in planet descriptions for example). Most elements of this game feel like they exist because they are "Mass Effect" things: Nexus = Citadel, Kadara = Omega, Kett =
Collectors/Reapers
, Remnant ruins =
Prothean ruins
, etc. The original Mass Effect really felt like an homage to classic scifi, something that came through every element of the game, from the spacesuit like armor, synth music, film grain, etc. Stuff like the Rachni and Geth have obvious scifi analogues without feeling like ripoffs. Bioware was able to capture the "feel" of 70s/80s science fiction in a way that most other games have not. Andromeda seems like a Mass Effect fangame at times rather than an evolution on that particular "feel."

I'm rambling and I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, but an analogy would be the Siege of Dragonspear expansion and other content that Beamdog added to Baldur's Gate with the Enhanced Edition. It feels like stuff that was written by people who are big fans of the original games, but are not so aware of or into the larger D&D (Forgotten Realms) picture. In interviews, the creative team behind Andromeda like to talk about how much they love Mass Effect. I remember Casey Hudson and Drew Karpyshyn discussing how much they loved classic scifi. It's hard to explain this stuff, it's more like a "feeling" I get from playing the games. Kinda like Liara "feeling" that there have been cycles of galactic extinction or whatever somehow.

While there are familiar aspects to this and they indeed tried to play it safe in many ways, I do think they may have touched on something rather interesting.

Surface level, the Remnant = Protheans, but the Prothean ruins were 50,000 years old and the Remnant are only 300 to 400 years old. Then there's the fact that Jardaan created those structures and the Angara within a galactic nanosecond. What are the Angara really? They seem to have a unique relationship with the Remnant. Like they are kept at arm's length but not separate at the same time. Their culture seems very stable but not artificial. They aren't the ideal but, perfectly average, a species that can defend itself but not conquer. Maybe I am sensing more than is actually there, but I really feel like these are mostly inferred in the story in a very deliberate way. Even the Kett have a little more depth than just discount-collectors. They're basically really awful Asari. I wish there had been a better payoff like the Archon realizing the amoeba just kicked his ass, but ohh well. Also "Exaltation" was a bit on the nose.

I don't know if this was intended or if they plan to revisit it, but there is an interesting thread here. I won't deny that, on its own, the story lacks a certain passion. It always felt too safe, never going to one extreme or another at any point, but the underlying mysteries that seem intentional, give me pause. It's just enough to make me say; "Okay, let's see where you want to go with this." It's a hook, albeit a small one, but just enough that whatever they do next will ultimately determine how good what they've already done is.

That being said, I felt ME3 pretty much destroyed whatever interest I had in Mass Effect. Unfair as that may be, I felt they had a duty to the overall story and completely phoned it in. While ME:A lacks the polished story of ME1 (ME2 and ME3 do as well) there's just enough there to spark my interest. I have no clue if it will be any good and I highly doubt I'll be the way I was post-ME2 but it's worth a shot. ME:A had really no where to go but up.

diaspora

Interesting note (imo): the remnant/
Jardaan technology is built 300-400 years ago meaning the Jardaan infrastructure is built 200-300 years after the Reaper war and the events of the ME Trilogy.

My BioTech Sentinel build on Insanity is literally unkillable, and I'm priming/detonating almost all the time thanks to Cora and Vetra's upgrades which allow them to shoot out ammo that primes. I've got Energy Drain (prime, detonator), Incinerate (prime, detonator) and Charge (detonator) and things are either exploding with a firey passion, or bursting into icicle pieces, thanks to Cora's Cryo Ammo. I have the Dhan Shotgun with Bio Ammo so I never have to reload, and I don't have to worry about my health depleting either because Cora's Shield Boost is constantly regenerating my health. Did I mention that Cora is the best squad mate to have? And possibly one of the best squad mates just in terms of usefulness in the Mass Effect series. I've been messing around with builds and I think this set-up I have is one of the best since it's so versatile - you have abilities that deal with shielded and armored enemies, as well as priming/detonating options. With the Sentinel profile, you gain that extra layer of armor for survivability. I wanted a build where I can be effective from afar and then get in close to blast things with a shotty and melee.

UberLevi

My BioTech Sentinel build on Insanity is literally unkillable, and I'm priming/detonating almost all the time thanks to Cora and Vetra's upgrades which allow them to shoot out ammo that primes. I've got Energy Drain (prime, detonator), Incinerate (prime, detonator) and Charge (detonator) and things are either exploding with a firey passion, or bursting into icicle pieces, thanks to Cora's Cryo Ammo. I have the Dhan Shotgun with Bio Ammo so I never have to reload, and I don't have to worry about my health depleting either because Cora's Shield Boost is constantly regenerating my health. Did I mention that Cora is the best squad mate to have? And possibly one of the best squad mates just in terms of usefulness in the Mass Effect series. I've been messing around with builds and I think this set-up I have is one of the best since it's so versatile - you have abilities that deal with shielded and armored enemies, as well as priming/detonating options. With the Sentinel profile, you gain that extra layer of armor for survivability. I wanted a build where I can be effective from afar and then get in close to blast things with a shotty and melee.

That's a pretty cool build. I'm also playing a Sentinel but I'm using Energy Drain, Incinerate, and Lance since I try to keep a moderate distance from most targets. The ability to prime and detonate at will, plus the ability to deal with shields, health, and armor all relatively effectively feels really nice and versatile. And I agree, Cora is a top tier squadmate in terms of effectiveness. Shield Boost and her cryo ammo are crucial.

prag16

Banned
Hmmm. I might focus on the priority and ally ops only then. I was a pretty big fan of ME, but this game is just boring...I'm only on the second planet but it's a serious slog.
This is the way to go. My NG+ playthrough will be exactly that. Priority and ally stiff with some of the better Heleus stuff tossed in.

I love the game, but it can definitely be a slog at times. Streamline the game to a tighter 40 hours without the crap that pumps it up to 60-100, fix some of the bad issues, and this is a masterpiece imo, surpassing the trilogy in a great many respects.

Vico

Why does Liam always have to be shirtless?

I'm so slow. I have 100% viability on Eos, Voeld and Havarl, and I just progressed in the main story, so I was thinking "I must be more than halfway through now", but I'm dead wrong. 45hours in and I'm only at 33% progression in the game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So they fixed mining on the Nomad, but now I feel like I've just played half the game staring at the scanner at my arm. :/ Pretty sad because the game environments are very pretty. Really wish there was a better way to pick up research points besides wasting my Nexus points on those particular timed delivery upgrades.

Looking forward to a new game plus when they've rolled out the other fixes, particularly the character creator. The creator in DAI was fantastic and you could make some really attractive people. Don't understand why the creator in MEA took a step back.

nel e nel

Anyone else have the Secret Project mission on Eos glitch? I've had to destroy the Kett for a while now but it's not highlighting any waypoints or ending for me.

witness

+1 to this build. I posted about it earlier today, it's fucking relentless.

Zukkoyaki

I'm getting pretty sick of having to reload old saves because quests get bugged to the point where I can't progress...

One step forward and two steps back with this game.

I keep getting disconnected every time I try to send out a strike team on xbox one. Really annoying considering getting a team to level 20 is one of the last things I need to do. Doesnt work from the app either.

Stiler

Full Biotic w/ upgraded Dhaan shotgun is insane.

I've bumped up barrier and have mods that refill 25% shields whenever I reload (which is every two shots so it procs often) + the skill that restores shields whenever biotics kill an enemy.

Can basically just charge into a group, throw out singularity and shockwave (which procs a biotic combo) and then charge again, feels near unkillable with all the shield recharging.

royox

I hate Liam...but my gosh I had a blast on his loyalty mission. Almost like him now.

Loved the ending when you can shout at him with an interruption "we were THIS close to lose everyone. THIS CLOSE! Liam needed a speech and Scott delivered it to perfection

50h in. 50% completion (says the game). 100% on all the planets. Loving the game. Not a 9 but not a 7 either.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I hate Liam...but my gosh I had a blast on his loyalty mission. Almost like him now.

Loved the ending when you can shout at him with an interruption "we were THIS close to lose everyone. THIS CLOSE! Liam needed a speech and Scott delivered it to perfection

50h in. 50% completion (says the game). 100% on all the planets. Loving the game. Not a 9 but not a 7 either.

I hate him too, but he has the best loyalty mission of all the crew. I just about broke something laughing at the bit
where the boss tries and fails to interrupt them repeatedly.

Spoiler for mission on the ice planet: did anyone else save
the ancient AI, just because she reminded you of GLaDOS? I was very happy to see the resemblance carry over when she's installed in SAM node. Was pretty sad that she didn't show up at the ending, but hopefully we'll meet her again in the sequels.

pmj

so I hit a game-stopping bug: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Can-t-continue-Hunting-the-Archon/td-p/5984537

and my only other save is hours ago :( sigh.

This happened to me (I think, the waypoint was stuck on this mission but I could proceed almost to the end, but all scripting was broken and eventually I was stopped by a door that wouldn't open) and reloading the autosave it makes before embarking on the mission fixed it.

I had three broken missions on my playthrough, they all worked on my second attempt when fully restarted. Be careful about trying to reload mid-mission autosaves as it may cause the game to overwrite your old autosaves with bugged ones.

royox

I just about broke something laughing at the bit
where the boss tries and fails to interrupt them repeatedly.

Spo

That was the best

Scott yelling at Liam
Boss suddently interrupts the verbal fight
Scott shoots at the console withouth even looking at it and keeps yelling at a now scared as fuck Liam
30 seconds later when Scott is more relaxed "D-did I shot at the console?"

My gosh Shepard was badass but Scott is fun as fuck.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That was the best

Scott yelling at Liam
Boss suddently interrupts the verbal fight
Scott shoots at the console withouth even looking at it and keeps yelling at a now scared as fuck Liam
30 seconds later when Scott is more relaxed "D-did I shot at the console?"

My gosh Shepard was badass but Scott is fun as fuck.

Huh? I don't remember mine
having shot the console, both Liam and Ryder just kept on hitting the button to shut up the boss.

rjcc

Anyone else have the Secret Project mission on Eos glitch? I've had to destroy the Kett for a while now but it's not highlighting any waypoints or ending for me.

I was only able to finish that after the patch. I never had it as a mission, I just found the base by accident.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I wonder if this game is a new series not bearing the Mass Effect name, just a new sci-fi RPG, would the reception to it be much better?

I think they do more harm to the game than good by attaching the Mass Effect name on it.

valkyre

Has Bioware mentioned specifically anything regarding improving the performance of the game (framerate) or adding a 1080p option for Pro users?

I am literally waiting for a performance fix to buy this game so if there is any info on that i would appreciate it.

Caboose

Draw distance in this game is
2srgCIF.png
Shit popping up literally ten feet around me.

I suppose I'll throw in my mini-review. Took me 70 hours to finish, but I did way too much stuff.

Bad:
- A lot of poorly written and/or executed filler fetch quests
- Really unsatisfactory endings to some quests that felt important
- Some bugs here and there, nothing catastrophic (couldn’t finish a couple of stupid side quests). Played on PC. Also kept noticing the wonky animations, but that didn't bother me so much.
- Really bad quest flow with a lot of planet-hopping. Galaxy map skipping in the new update is a lifesaver.
- Can't really get into yet another
precursor magic tech
plot device.
In general, I'd prefer a slightly harder and more grounded sci-fi approach to the series; reading the codex it feels that the universe has a lot of thought behind it, but the game falls into space magic too often. It wasn't as bad as ME3's ending (nothing is, really) and I can suspend my disbelief as long as I'm immersed in the characters and more interesting side stories.

Good:
- A pretty spectacular final mission, good ending
- Main, crew and side missions were good
- The new crew took some time to grow on me, but i was fully on board by the end. Nice character development for the most part. Sara is fine and has more character than Shepard.
- Banged a turian (kind of peeved at Peebee because she was clearly the dev favorite and stole so much screentime from Vetra - she turned out ok though)
- The setting of exploring a new galaxy for planets to settle feels awesome. The best thing they could have done, really. I was completely invested.
- Some great classic ME moments and there isn’t anything like ME and i want a sequel because it MAKES ME FEEL DAMMIT :cry:

Tighten it up, direct more resources to the good stuff and a sequel could be the best Mass Effect ever. Alternatively, make the multiplayer its own F2P spinoff and create episodic ME side stories in the style of Life Is Strange.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So grabbed this at bargain price and booted it up. First thing I've noticed is that on my 1070 it's dropping frames but not consistently, just at really random times. I can certainly run this on ultra, right?

Also, holy shit default fem Ryder's face is ugly. It shows no real emotion in conversations when she should be and it's super jarring. I'm not actively seeking out the "meme" moments but when that purple doctor chick fell over and did her weird face despite it being fixed it was just...weird.

Anyway, despite the terrible dialogue and atrocious acting it's not too bad so far. Pretty cool seeing the giant energy storm at the start, always loved the over-the-top sci-fi.

Alo0oy

Banned
Could be possible that scenes to do not always play out the same, depending if you've been building your Ryder as more casual than logicial, or more emotional than professional, etc.?

I hope so, in my current NG+ run I'm trying to be as much of an asshole as possible (Ryder is rarely an asshole unfortunately, but it happens sometimes).

I'll see if anything different happens.

royox

That's what happened in my playthrough too.
yeah
I never had an option to shoot the console http://xboxclips.com/Rjcc/804e66f6-1589-4f35-a2a1-82adc430185f
Huh? I don't remember mine
having shot the console, both Liam and Ryder just kept on hitting the button to shut up the boss.

I'm doing a "logical" run with "logical"/common sense choices (or "what I would do") so Scott was pissed the whole mission and maybe that triggered new interruptions. Priceless.

-NeoTB1-

I finished the game last night. Clocked around 58 hours with >50% of side content complete. Heck, it was probably closer to 75%. Enjoyable game, though its flaws are evident. Fortunately, I only had 1 major bug that forced me to restart the game. Since it autosaves so often, I didn't lose much progress.

I don't know if I'll ever go back to it (don't care at all about trophies), but it was a decent experience and I felt like I got my money's worth in the end.

Alo0oy

Banned
My second playthrough is advancing much much faster than the first, I 80%ed Eos and 100% Voled in 5 hours, I still need to kill the architect in both planets, and I have a few Heleus quests in Eos.

Skipping all the tasks is making this playthrough much more fun, and Insanity is very fun compared to the previous games.

N7.Angel

finished the game, I really like it, but some flaws are really a pain in the ass, they need to change some stuff here and there for sequels.
+++

- The mainline story, I wouldn't have done it like this, but I think it's a good story overall, it's interesting to follow the path of the pathfinder to his quest of finding new gold worlds in a new galaxy with an interesting new technology that could be more advanced that we've seen in the Milky Way, the remnant mystery, the Nexus state and the Arks situation is pretty good.

- Characters are younger, optimistic, less serious and really fun, but they needed to grow when the situation goes deeper and more serious, but they didn't, it's a miss opportunity, Drack is my absolute favorite, everything I want a Krogan to say or do, Peebee is really funny, I really like her more than I like Liara in the first ME, Lexi is a good addition to the crew and Jaal is the best Angaran ever (probably the only one though).

- The overall visuals are really good, Holy shit, it's the most beautiful Mass Effect game ever, like really on another level, the art style, backgrounds and panoramas are outstanding, I just stopped playing for a minute to just look at how cool and amazing some places were, stunning.

- The exploration is the best of all Mass Effect series, the planets have the perfect size, not too big, not too small and I really love the Nomad in this game, driving it was absolutely amazing and I literally explore every cm of planets, hope it stays for the sequels.

- The fighting and gameplay mechanics are the best in series too, the jetpack bring an another dimension to the exploration/fighting and the new skill system is really good, combats are more fun and better than previous entry, keep on improving.

- The potential of the sequels, Andromeda feels like a prequel to something bigger that could really be better than the first trilogy if done right, I think they should name the next one Mass Effect 4 and start when Andromeda ends, they just need to let Kett go, like seriously, worst villain ever.

- SAM, so much potential here, I really like the symbiotic relation with Pathfinders and they could really go everywhere from here, I really like the IA approach in this game, a new galaxy, new rules but maybe history will repeat itself or not, it could be really interesting if done well.

---

- Some characters are dull and completely useless, like seriously, Gil, Cora, Liam are the worst characters ever... Cora backstory and interaction with her is just terrible, she just passed hours and hours talking about how powerful she was and the fact that she joined the Asari Elite Squad before joining the initiative... it's 95% of her character like wtf ?

The writing of some of the characters and their dialogue are the most boring and terrible writing of all Mass Effect games, a nightmare for a character/story driven game, not again Bioware.

-The planet hopping is the worst thing ever, some quests are just terribly designed and make you jump planet to planet to just scan a site and take another 5 min to reach the other one to do the same thing (it goes better with planet travel skipping animation, no wait, it's still terrible)... it's just the worst thing ever, I'm ok with traveling to one or two system at worst but more is totally annoying.

- The Kett are the worst vilains ever, seriously, compared them to the menace of the Reapers and they become a total joke, I don't care about them, they're uninteresting and harmless, I really hope Bioware make them a secondary threat in the sequel, we now have
the Jardaan and the race that destroyed/attacked them and could really make the sequel more interesting

- They can get rid of them as the primary villains, but let them be here in side quests, what is fun is fighting against a stronger entity than us, fighting races that are equal or inferior isn't fun at all.

- The Angara, I don't know, they're boring, Jaal is a great character but the Angara race bring nothing new to the table, they're generic as fuck, their background is weak, their motivation is weak and their culture is really boring, I hope they're the Hanari of the Andromeda galaxy and not the Asari equivalent...

- 80% of quests are terrible, they're too much uninteresting side quests and fetch quests that poisoned the game, keep main mission, loyalty missions and 20% of the side quests and we're good, the game is 60h long when it could be an amazing 35-40h one, side quests need to be about learning more of the world and getting deeper into the story, not scanning plants and animals in 5 different cluster to have someone on the radio saying" it's ok, thank you"...

- The UI is a mess, the crafting potential is probably good, but the UI is so bad that I didn't get into it, I don't know if it's really good or not when mastered because I didn't even try, a bloody mess.

- Glitches, crash, animation (facial and body), save problem and infinite loading screen are unacceptable, I don't give a shit about who's responsible or why the game launched in this state, Bioware never was a studio that brings finished, polished game, but this one is a hell of a mess and they deserved every backlash they've got, not using motion capture in 2017 and especially on a AAA game in an insult to everyone loving this industry, wake the fuck up.

Overall

I'm mixed about Andromeda, it's a good game that builds great foundation for the potential sequel, but failed as an entity, it's ok to have younger characters that are failing and joking about it, but when the threat goes bigger, they need to grow as well, they need to take things more seriously and respond to the treat like adults, the game feels like a generic Marvel movie when it needed to be a Star trek one or a Star Wars one at worst... While the exploration, visuals and fighting are the best in the series, the amount of bugs and shitty animation are unacceptable, as much as the terrible writing of characters and dialogue, it's the most important thing in games like this, people passed on terrible gameplay because the OT as an amazing writing, I know you can do it ; )

You have everything to make the sequel right, you already have the engine, the assets, you just need motion capture and new writers and I'm sure the sequel will be a hit...

You need to get rid of the Kett as the primary villain, bring new races, new planets, get rid of Tasks/fetch/80% side quests and keep on improving gameplay and you'll be back at 90+ Metacritic and it he heart of fans.

Story / Drack spoiler

I wish you could stand your ground a bit more of you choose Pathfinder Raeka over the Krogan scouts. Like Drack, buddy, I love you but could you not try this guilt trip bullshit on me? I've brokered an allience between New Tuchanka and the Nexus, I gave Morda the Remnant Drive and I helped you get revenge on that asshole who got the Krogan exiled in the first place! Just because I choose the save the life of the only other experienced Pathfinder in this fucking cluster doesn't mean I'm out to screw over the Krogan

My problem with the side quests are how unoriginal they all are. The premise for half of them is some guy/girl working on a computer is noticing some odd spikes somewhere in the system, and they can only pinpoint several hot points which they need you to scan. Fuck that. That shit is straight up lazy busy work. I can only play an hour or so before getting bored with the game, never had that with any previous Mass Effect game.
Then ignore those quests. I agree they're stupid but I stopped doing them after the third or fourth one. The major quests, companion quests and even secondary ones are decent at worst

arhra

I'm doing a "logical" run with "logical"/common sense choices (or "what I would do") so Scott was pissed the whole mission and maybe that triggered new interruptions. Priceless.

That's actually pretty cool. I was already planning on doing a newgame+ run as logical/professional/military Scott (first run was emotional/casual/research Sara), and I think that's just cemented it (although I still want to do another run as Sara to romance Suvi...).

diaspora

Posting from another thread but while I really do like this game my main grievance is the travelling:

Travelling to different visited zones in DA:I
  1. Open map
  2. click zone
  3. click campsite

Travelling to different visited areas in Andromeda
  1. Go to/ fast travel to ship
  2. Enter ship and watch ship takeoff sequence
  3. Open galaxy map
  4. Choose system and watch animation of flying to another solar system
  5. Choose planet and watch flying animation to that planet (now you can skip the animation yay)
  6. Click to land and watch animation of flying to the planet
  7. Fast travel to forward station you want to get to

This needs to be addressed. I don't give a shit how BioWare Montreal thinks I should be playing this, if I want to fast travel to another planet's forward station I should be able to, whether or not I see a loading screen is irrelevant.

While in fairness, fast travelling is better in DA:I than most (all?) WRPGs barring Fallout/TES (fuck you Witcher signposts), it's like a 3 click process to fast travel to different areas in Inquisition and like 7 steps plus animations in Andromeda.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if this game is a new series not bearing the Mass Effect name, just a new sci-fi RPG, would the reception to it be much better?

I think they do more harm to the game than good by attaching the Mass Effect name on it.

Reviews would have probably been about the same as even those of us liking it give in 7-8s for the most part.

It probably wouldn't have gotten so much attention and backlash and memes etc. on forums like this though as being ME and being a Bioware game (a company that has a lot of haters) obviously give it a lot of attention and high expectations to live up to for fans of the first 3 games.

N7.Angel

Reviews would have probably been about the same as even those of us liking it give in 7-8s for the most part.

It probably wouldn't have gotten so much attention and backlash and memes etc. on forums like this though as being ME and being a Bioware game (a company that has a lot of haters) obviously give it a lot of attention and high expectations to live up to for fans of the first 3 games.

Yeah this, like the game but it doesn't deserve more than a 8 but it's not a 7 either.

Amory

I think it's been said numerous times, but this game just has no respect for my time whatsoever.

Dicking around on a new planet and doing what needs to be done to establish a colony is fun, I genuinely do enjoy exploring a new area and mindlessly completing the side quests.

But WHY do I have to go back to the quest giver at the end? Many times the last action in a quest line is on the complete opposite end of the map from the quest giver, who is also on the opposite end of the map from the next 5 things I want to do. This is the future. We're colonizing another galaxy. Can we not use a fucking phone to confirm that an errand has been successfully run?

It's become a metagame to figure out how to most efficiently plan my quests out so that I don't have to drive across the map 15 times. And driving in this game sucks. It's slow as hell and why do I have to keep engaging / disengaging 4 wheel drive?

Top Bottom