• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Madness

I wonder if all those guys wanting BioWare to #makeJaalBi and spamming nonstop thousands of times so you cannot even read other mass effect tweets actually got to talk to him and heard his heartbreaking story about his childhood love on the farm and how she ended up marrying his more well known brother etc. I have never seen a such a concerted attempt to make someone who is clearly heterosexual in a human sense into bisexual.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Any recommendations for weapons and augments for harder difficulties?

I've been running a N7 Crusader and a Vanquisher and they just aren't cutting it anymore.

I'm running Incinerate, Charge and Energy Drain. I don't think I really need a shotgun, as using one of my tech powers, followed by a charge and melee is normally enough to kill most enemies. What I think I'm looking for is something for mid to longer distances
I'm wondering this too.

I have no idea where to start with what weapons because I don't know which are good and which are bad, and there's no way to try before you buy.

Seems like semiautomatics suck in this game in general.

Stiler

OMG I have an infinite loading screen on PC after 45h of gameplay, restart the game, restart the computer, try another save, still doesn't work, FUCK THIS GAME and FUCK EA/BIOWARE.

I had this issue happen yesterday.

I changed my video settings from fullscreen to widescreen then loaded a different save and it worked for me.

Alo0oy

Banned
Maybe I'll have to redo the suicide mission, but I don't remember it being as amazing as everyone says it is. Moreover, what makes the final mission in MEA nice is the payoff of all the work you did, choices you made, and allies you recruited during the game.

And it's still the only ME game where all of your squadmates show up in-game to fight with you in battle.

It's not that the choices didn't have impact, the game just adds an additional friendly NPC to the fights based on your decision. I wanted more than that, but that's mostly my fault for expecting something like the suicide mission (and yes, it is as amazing as everyone is saying).

I still liked the fights though, best final fight in the series.

UltraMav

I wonder if all those guys wanting BioWare to #makeJaalBi and spamming nonstop thousands of times so you cannot even read other mass effect tweets actually got to talk to him and heard his heartbreaking story about his childhood love on the farm and how she ended up marrying his more well known brother etc. I have never seen a such a concerted attempt to make someone who is clearly heterosexual in a human sense into bisexual.

I'll gladly support the #MakeJaalBi movement as long as Suvi gets the same treatment. I was so disappointed...

I'm probably being dumb and missing something obvious... but I can't figure out how to continue the "Dying Planet" quest on Havarl. The nav point would seemingly need me to climb a 200ft sheer cliff face to get over to it, but I poked around for 1/2 hour last night unable to find a way up, around, or through. -_-

I got stuck here too. Even though it looks like you need to go up you actually need to go down first. So head into the ravine and then head towards to marker. You'll see there's a door near there that will let you enter the area where the marker is.

Started this game today.

Damn, going from something as polished as Horizon to this is kinda like a culture shock. Will take me some time to get into it. I didn't want to believe it but it really does feel half baked in almost every way. Shame...

Alo0oy

Banned
It seems that they fixed the glitch where your parents are white despite the siblings not being white. But it only fixed itself in NG+.

OrionX

Right, because if he was bisexual he couldn't possibly still be attracted to women...? Nothing about this backstory would have to change in the slightest.

Ryzaki009

Because it's not like Sky, Zevran or Kaidan talked about their female lover's influence on their lives.

Kadin

Hey guys, so I never finished ME3 or witnessed the controversial ending (plz no spoilers as I do plan to finish it one day I hope). With that said, can I just start up Andromeda with no potential issues knowing this? I did finish ME1 & 2 and loved both of those.

Not sure what it was about ME3 but I got turned off with it about halfway through and just never went back. I'm more interested in trying something completely new but not if I have to have finished the trilogy first. I did some quick searches and it looks like I don't need to but I'd rather get some direct input from you all first. Thinking of getting on PC as well where I didn't play my earlier games if it matters.

JeffG

Hey guys, so I never finished ME3 or witnessed the controversial ending (plz no spoilers as I do plan to finish it one day I hope). With that said, can I just start up Andromeda with no potential issues knowing this?
You will be fine

TeddyBoy

I finished the game earlier on today so I'll post some thoughts:

The game starts off really rough, I felt there's a lot of contrived drama aboard the Nexus at first which really takes me out of the setting
(having all the other arcs be missing, the Nexus having a split, the Korgan leaving and even later when the Exiles split up)
. Similarly, I really dislike how there's another ancient species with all this amazing tech just lying around like the Protheans were and the
Remnant
have the most bland looking design, it's almost the same as the Promethean's from Halo.

In gameplay I'm still not comfortable with it, after playing Gears 4 late last year I'm still convinced the snap to cover mechanic is just better than the automated cover mechanic deployed here in Andromeda and I hope they go back to that style for the next instalment in the series.

The
Kett
as well just seemed like a fairly boring enemy to fight, they are EVERYWHERE especially early game they're not interesting in encounters and have comically stupid AI.
I also disliked how the main enemy of the game is the same enemy in the very first planet you stumble across.

Once the initial prologue finishes it throws you at
Eos
and after that planet I went to
Voeld
, which was a huge mistake on my part, I was just fighting
Kett
constantly and the
Angara
just seemed uninteresting compared to the Milky Way races (I also disliked how the colonies you set up were always the same as the one you picked in
Eos
, I was going to pick a mix!)

Once I got to
Havarl
things started getting much better, that world is much smaller with far less filler and I actually enjoyed that planet (I also feel they should have allowed you an option to set up a colony there to REALLY anger the
Angara
but no Addison decides for you).

After that I got into the loyalty quests and only did the main quests for
Kadara
and
New Tuchanka
which made the game actually fun! I think I enjoyed Liams the most because it played around with the familiar corridors you're used to but he's definitely the worst squad mate. Plenty of others have mentioned how annoying it is to navigate between
Kadara
port, the surface and the Tempest and yeah I find it annoying too.

I missed out on the movie night scene and Ryder secret memories revelation (I think my movie night glitched and I just couldn't be bothered searching around for memory fragments, they should have really just tied this to story progress to help cut down the fat on this game because there is a lot of it). I ended up watching these on youtube since nothing changes from a story perspective.

I really enjoyed the crew of the Tempest though, I quite liked their little minor quests like going to the bar with Drack, checking up on your doctor because she's feeling the pressure and the banter in the car, these things made your squadmates feel natural.

At the beginning when you had to
design your twins appearance I knew Bioware would pull that card at some point since they tried a similar trick in Dragon Age 2.

Overall, fun but with way too much content, the exact same problem Dragon Age: Inquisition had with the bloat. It wasn't the game I wanted (Mass Effect 4) but it's good enough I suppose
(that DLC/sequel tease with the Quarian arc!)

Madness

Right, because if he was bisexual he couldn't possibly still be attracted to women...? Nothing about this backstory would have to change in the slightest.

Well the fact is that he is heterosexual, turns down male Ryder ever so slightly and then is only romanceable by Sara Ryder means he is heterosexual already no? My point being, for people who want to think and be progressive and say characters deserve aome agency, people want to just make Jaal suit what they want for their own reasons. My point being that he isn't bi, when he opens up to Ryder he talks about how the love of his life was this woman who ended up choosing his more well known brother and he still thinks about her to this day.

Would people be okay with Suvi being made Bisexual? Nothing even hints to her being lesbian besides turning Ryder down. But no, that would be wrong right. Because there are so few lesbian options. Not every character needs to be straight sure, not every character needs to be bisexual either. They can add another bisexual squadmate next game. But with how much they have spammed BioWare nonstop, it is inevitable they will just retcon and make Jall bi for the vocal minority.

diaspora

The lack of gay male relationships versus others in ME:A is bad, turning characters bi as a matter of convenience is supremely shitty.

elelunicy

Well the fact is that he is heterosexual, turns down male Ryder ever so slightly and then is only romanceable by Sara Ryder means he is heterosexual already no? My point being, for people who want to think and be progressive and say characters deserve aome agency, people want to just make Jaal suit what they want for their own reasons. My point being that he isn't bi, when he opens up to Ryder he talks about how the love of his life was this woman who ended up choosing his more well known brother and he still thinks about her to this day.

Would people be okay with Suvi being made Bisexual? Nothing even hints to her being lesbian besides turning Ryder down. But no, that would be wrong right. Because there are so few lesbian options. Not every character needs to be straight sure, not every character needs to be bisexual either. They can add another bisexual squadmate next game. But with how much they have spammed BioWare nonstop, it is inevitable they will just retcon and make Jall bi for the vocal minority.
Suvi explicitly turns male Ryder down. Same goes to Liam. Jaal doesn't. Male Ryder simply isn't given the option to flirt with Jaal.

OrionX

I definitely understand the argument against changing a character's sexuality after the game has shipped, since that has the potential to open up a can of worms. I'd just like to know if Jaal was intended to be bisexual. Because if he was, and it was cut due to time constraints, I don't see a problem with restoring that content. I'm pretty sure the #MakeJaalBi people aren't trying to ruin anyone's day, they just feel hurt and excluded by the lack of m/m content.

Don't worry, I really don't think they're going to make Jaal bi. I for one would at least like them to patch in a flirt option for Scott so that Jaal can go into explicit detail about how repulsed he is by Scott's body. I want to hear "no homo bro" spill straight from the alien's mouth!!

I just started playing in earnest today. I just landed on Eos and I'm a little overwhelmed by some stuff.

Research and development in particular. Is it me or is the interface completely unintuitive? When you drill down into for example Andromina Tech > Weapons, don't see what you like, and back out, it takes you all the way out of the Research interface? It ends up confusing me, but maybe I just need to learn it.

On the development side... Why on earth would I want to build an Avenger rifle? Are they finite, as in you must have one for each squad member? Or do you build extra guns just to sell them?

And a bitch, I hate that interacting with stuff brings up a black menu. Especially when there's only one option. It bugs my eyes out.

Bubble

Neo Member
Finally finished it (just under 60 hours), and I really enjoyed this game.

I also really liked what they did with the Ryders. One of my major concerns going was that Ryder would be like the Inquisitor, a character with zero personality and zero backstory and who is as interesting as watching paint dry. Fortunately, they took the Dragon Age 2 approach with the Ryders. I really liked that you could explore the relationship between Bro!Ryder and Sister!Ryder & Dad!Ryder. I also appreciated that the dialogue-options you chose affected auto-dialogue. It definitely felt like my Ryder acted casually at times and he really felt like his own character.

Another thing I was worried about going in was that the side-quests were going to be like Inquisition, and to my surprise, they weren't. Yes, some of the side-quests are pretty basic and poor, but some of them are quite good. In a lot of the side-quests, there is a narrative to them and the storytelling in these quests doesn't rely on reading notes, which absolutely helps. The cinematic cutscenes helps as well, and it's great to see that Bioware can still provide good side-quests. It also helps that the combat in Andromeda is really good. It didn't take me long before the combat just clicked for me.

There is still many faults to Andromeda, and it could absolutely have used a few more months in the oven to iron out the issues. Other things that bothered me are the interruptions (appeared way too infrequently to make an impact), lack of squad-control (not an issue while playing on Normal though), the Kett & Angara being very uninteresting (they did absolutely nothing to me; both in design and history) and few other small things, like traversing Kadara (holy shit, that was annoying), the Asari share the same face (someone must have been sleeping around), etc.

However, I am overall happy with the game. I hope we get single-player DLC in the future, and I sincerely hope this isn't the last time we see a Mass Effect title (Andromeda 2 or return to the Milky Way or reboot). I'm not ready to see the Mass Effect franchise be put on a shelf.

I just started playing in earnest today. I just landed on Eos and I'm a little overwhelmed by some stuff.

Research and development in particular. Is it me or is the interface completely unintuitive? When you drill down into for example Andromina Tech > Weapons, don't see what you like, and back out, it takes you all the way out of the Research interface? It ends up confusing me, but maybe I just need to learn it.

On the development side... Why on earth would I want to build an Avenger rifle? Are they finite, as in you must have one for each squad member? Or do you build extra guns just to sell them?

And a bitch, I hate that interacting with stuff brings up a black menu. Especially when there's only one option. It bugs my eyes out.

Crafting allows you to build better versions of weapons you already own. An Avenger IV for example will do better damage and have better accuracy than an Avenger II. The same applies to armour as well (some armour even changes asthetically/visually once you reach a higher crafting tier). If you like a specific weapon I would reccomend upgrading it to better versions as tiers unlock.

That said, you won't truly notice that much of a difference damage-wise unless you're playing on the higher difficulties. You can get away with roaming around in low-level gear on normal but on Insanity you want to be upgrading all the time.

arhra

Crafting allows you to build better versions of weapons you already own. An Avenger IV for example will do better damage and have better accuracy than an Avenger II. The same applies to armour as well (some armour even changes asthetically/visually once you reach a higher crafting tier). If you like a specific weapon I would reccomend upgrading it to better versions as tiers unlock.

That said, you won't truly notice that much of a difference damage-wise unless you're playing on the higher difficulties. You can get away with roaming around in low-level gear on normal but on Insanity you want to be upgrading all the time.

Plus you can add Augmentations when crafting higher-level weapons, which be everything from minor tweaks (more damage, better vs shields, etc), to dramatic changes to weapon behaviour (changing it to a beam weapon, or shooting electricity, or using an ME1-style overheat system rather than disposable thermal clips, etc).

Pro tip though: save before crafting a weapon with a new combination of augs, and preferably be somewhere you can test it quickly (I liked the research center at Site 1 on Eos); certain combinations really don't work well together.

Madness

I do hope they tackle UI in a subseqent patch as well. Even though once you understand it it becomes easier to use, it can use some streamlining.

How is the P.A.W assault rifle? I've been hearing good things about it combined with the augment that automatically reloads in exchange for health. Was just wondering if you guys had any experience with it

N7.Angel

You're going to have to revert to an earlier save. I've encountered this bug twice so far... The auto saves closest to the bugged save also failed for me. Had to select an auto save or manual save that was in a different area. One suggestion was to completely reboot the PC, but the infinite loading still happened with the bugged save.

Also, I'm playing the game at 4k 60 fps for most part on a 1080Ti, but the frame rates on the Tempest just suck for me, and conversations tank unless I put depth of field on medium. Why is it so taxing in this game?

Yeah that was it, all "auto-saved" save files were like bugged or corrupted without any reason, I had a manual save that save the day but I lost 4 hours of playtime, seriously, I'm fucking angry about them, I can deal with stupid animations and shit like this but this is totally unacceptable.

TheFatMan

Holy shit the side missions at the end of the game are absolute fucking trash.

Go to Nexus, now go to seven different sections of the Nexus, now go to Havarl, now go back to Nexus, now go to Eladeen, now back to Nexus, now to another part of Nexus....

Who the fuck thought this shit was fun when it was play tested? I cannot believe how many loading screens I have had to watch doing this bullshit in the last two hours.

If you are reading this thread wondering if you should buy this game. Let me do you a favor, absolutely do not.

FYI to my fellow PC players with HDR-capable displays, the Windows 10 Creator's update breaks HDR compatibility. It's an opt-in update as of now and can be rolled back if you need to.

Madness

Anyone have tips on the best Squad levels? I feel like respecing to try and screw around with different squadmates or on a second run through.

Cornbread78

So, random question. I just finished the main mission in
Eos
and I'm at 68% done, but what do I do next? There is no mission prompt and returning to Nexus didn't move anything forward either..

Also, how do I get rid of the lvl 3 radiation areas, so I can complete the last couple side quests?

Question, I'm still far from completing the game, but is there a NG+ in this game? And if there is, can you change the difficulty in said NG+ so I can do an Insanity run?

Rodhull

So, random question. I just finished the main mission in
Eos
and I'm at 68% done, but what do I do next? There is no mission prompt and returning to Nexus didn't move anything forward either..

Also, how do I get rid of the lvl 3 radiation areas, so I can complete the last couple side quests?

After leaving the
vault
you should have gotten a prompt to
Start an outpost
nearby? Did that not happen?

Story should kick on from there.

Question, I'm still far from completing the game, but is there a NG+ in this game? And if there is, can you change the difficulty in said NG+ so I can do an Insanity run?

Yes, and yes. Hell, you can even change your characters gender for NG+ and still keep all your gear and stuff. It's pretty cool.

Does the ending song
Under the Stars by Aurora
in the credits feel a bit off to anyone else? I don't know if it fits or if I find in out of place with the mood of the ending. It kinda reflects my feelings towards the game kind of mixed beat where I loved parts of it, but other felt lacking and brought down what could have been a stellar experience. Which to me the song is trying to reach towards but something is holding it back from really clicking in the credits.

Does the ending song
Under the Stars by Aurora
in the credits feel a bit off to anyone else? I don't know if it fits or if I find in out of place with the mood of the ending. It kinda reflects my feelings towards the game kind of mixed beat where I loved parts of it, but other felt lacking and brought down what could have been a stellar experience. Which to me the song is trying to reach towards but something is holding it back from really clicking in the credits.

I agree, it's one of the few small details about the game I actually wasn't a fan of. It felt like an out of place song that'd just been on a radio station than something tonally sci-fi like Faunts.

Cornbread78

After leaving the
vault
you should have gotten a prompt to
Start an outpost
nearby? Did that not happen?

Story should kick on from there.

Yup, I found it and met up with
Drak

Now decision time....

EOS: RES
EARCH OR DEFENSE
?

Which should be chosen here?

I agree, it's one of the few small details about the game I actually wasn't a fan of. It felt like an out of place song that'd just been on a radio station than something tonally sci-fi like Faunts.

Yeah M4 Faunts just flowed so naturally into the ending of Mass Effect 1 because of its techno like other worldly track where this one feels like "popular song about stars" which was dropped in because ME:A is a space game. There's no natural flow.

Put me down as someone who also wants the Paragon/Renegade options back.

There's one mission where I essentially chose the renegade option - which is fine - but I had no indication it would be the renegade option beforehand.

Madness

Yup, I found it and met up with
Drak

Now decision time....

EOS: RES
EARCH OR DEFENSE
?

Which should be chosen here?

Your choice but if you want spoilers.

Military gives you a Prodomos security squad to help at the end and Jaal and others make comments about how some could view it as hostile but needed in the face of Kett others will say you seem peaceful and wanting to integrate in Heleus but be on guard for Kett. Others will be upset because they wanted more science people out. Science gives you nothing for the end mission. You will still get the same protestors soon on the Nexus! I picked military. The Kett have a massive base, the Exiles and Outcasts are attacking colonists and stealing supplies and the military is always the first line of defense. I hope in Andromeda 2, Prodromos becomes an Annapolis or West Point or Pentagon style outpost. But I can see Science pickers get access to wicked science research etc.

Ricker

Liking the game but I am not crazy about the way the quests are set up for now...kind of confusing(still on EOS) and I obviously started a fight I am way underleveled for(only level 3 lol)...

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Gooooodaaaaaaaamn! The game is too fuckin' HUGE!

raw

I could easily complete ME1 and ME2 for the time I've spent with MEA so far.

Top Bottom