• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Akoi

So I just got the PS4 deluxe version of this for free from amazon.. They wouldn't let me return it and told me to keep it and they would be issuing me a full refund for it.. I was going to grab it on PC instead but I guess not..

Yep, definitely sounds like Origin to me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those who just blindly bashes everything that isn't Steam, but that piece of software has given me so many issues over the years. It pretty much forced me to get the PS4 version of this game.

I used to hate it, but the Windows store has made me appreciate it more. Lol

Vengal

Yep, definitely sounds like Origin to me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those who just blindly bashes everything that isn't Steam, but that piece of software has given me so many issues over the years. It pretty much forced me to get the PS4 version of this game.

Haven't been tracking this but in the past when origin hides the play button or the game itself I would just keep origin open and launch the exe. Typically origin figures itself out after that.

iddqd

Hope posting my own stupid doodles is OK.
Its an old Star Trek joke, but I had hoped for more interesting aliens, new galaxy and all.

C7X8ydhXUAEL_tT.jpg:large

abundant

The problem with this read on it is that it's reductive as hell. The quest structure is mechanically simple, but by and large the narrative framework is good. If you Let yourself get caught up in it, even the go place scan thing quests are at least decent

This is basically where I'm at with side quests. As long as they have a good narrative explaining why I am doing this and that, I'm fine with it. The problem with games like DA:I was that a lot of times, there was little to no narrative with their "fetch quest" side quests.

Have they said if we can edit existing characters after those new character creation options or whatever come out?

It'd be a pretty dumb fix if they add stuff, then punish people who've already started their play through. I'm still not happy w the way my dude looks.

Which isn't to say that I will be after they add more options lol.

jtb

Banned
To be fair, that's an issue with open world games, and not one exclusive to ME:A. Even Witcher, which is praised for is side quests, has a lot of "go here, do this, go there, do that" type of filler quests.

Well, IIRC, he's done the same in the past. He'll be back.

New Vegas has brilliant quest design.

Are there any PS4 Pro details or experiences written anywhere? Still nothing from Digital Foundry, do any reviews comment on this?

The Giant Bomb quick look mentioned the PS4 Pro version renders at 1800p for checkerboard 4k and looked the best but still had frame drop issues ocassionally, but they didn't say anything about running it on the Pro at 1080p afaik.

People keep saying that Bioware created a new sub studio and used the "B" team (the ME3 DLC team) to make this, but I haven't seen anyone talk about what the "A" team, assuming there is one, is doing?

I know Bioware Austin works on SWTOR and has for a long time. There was a AR-mystic-horror game Bioware was working on for a while but that got cancelled a year ago. Another Dragon Age game?

emag

ummm...thats the loading screen

Loading for what, exactly? Most of the planets are just an orb on the screen and a couple lines of text.

Have they said if we can edit existing characters after those new character creation options or whatever come out?

It'd be a pretty dumb fix if they add stuff, then punish people who've already started their play through. I'm still not happy w the way my dude looks.

Which isn't to say that I will be after they add more options lol.

There's no reason Bioware couldn't put a station in the medbay that would let other players modify existing characters' appearances. They did something similar in DA:I.

People keep saying that Bioware created a new sub studio and used the "B" team (the ME3 DLC team) to make this, but I haven't seen anyone talk about what the "A" team, assuming there is one, is doing?

Bioware Edmonton (the developers of all the previous ME and DA games) is supposedly working on a new IP.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I had a ton of fun with the trial so I'm still buying this. Just waiting on my friend to see if she still getting it for co-op fun.

JayB1920

Anyone know if their comments about "having meaningful side quests akin to the Witcher" were accurate?

Seems like there is a mix of both fetch quests and good side quests according to some reviews. If not that then a least some narrative reasons to do some of the fetch quests. I dont know if Id expect Witcher 3 level of quests though.

The Giant Bomb quick look mentioned the PS4 Pro version renders at 1800p for checkerboard 4k and looked the best but still had frame drop issues ocassionally, but they didn't say anything about running it on the Pro at 1080p afaik.

I know Bioware Austin works on SWTOR and has for a long time. There was a AR-mystic-horror game Bioware was working on for a while but that got cancelled a year ago. Another Dragon Age game?

Bioware Edmonton is currently working on their new IP, the multiplayer focused one.

sangreal

Nope, no way to skip the planet -> planet transitions.

Probably hiding loading screens or something.

That sucks, but thanks

ummm...thats the loading screen

loading... what? it's one rotating sphere and some text. The previous games managed this without the annoying delay

I'm not talking about moving between systems or landing, etc. Just viewing the different planets within the current system

shit even after you sit through the stupid trip to the planet, you still can't do anything until they stop and adjust the camera from a cinematic look at the planet to a straight on one

nOoblet16

So the real question is; will bioware give this game the same kind of support FFXV is getting?
Updates fixing story, cutscenes, etc?

Will EA just drop it or will this game, over time, get good?
I doubt it.
One thing I can guarantee is that the animations will stay the same. They might improve the lip syncing a bit by getting rid of any bugs and all but it'll be largely the same and won't be better than the best that it can be right now.

FFXV is a rare case of post launch support in a single player game, the devs genuinely want to keep adding things and they don't seem to mind doing it for free. The only other game that has done anything like this in the industry in recent memory is Witcher 3. So really these two are anomalies than anything.

Freeman76

So the real question is; will bioware give this game the same kind of support FFXV is getting?
Updates fixing story, cutscenes, etc?

Will EA just drop it or will this game, over time, get good?

I dont think EA will support this like SQUARE are with FF personally. It seems they were happy to send a game out that isnt on the same level of quality as the others, and from most of the reviews it seems this is from a gameplay and story point of view.

FFXV had a lacking story, not necessarily a badly written one.

Getting tired of posters calling games visuals "horribly atrocious" "ugly and disgusting" "horrendous" of course we have our opinions but it feels like some are deliberately going way over the top with it. I'm not talking specifically about this game but in general, imagine working your ass off as a Dev and reading that shit, I'm all for constructive criticism but for fuck sake.

MY RYDER IS UNFROZE AND READY TO POSE

LET'S DO THIS, BOYS

I like the way your character looks. It looks on par with Inquisition in those pictures. He does look tired, but it looks like he is just mellow / chill.

I've noticed that the male ryders I have seen so far looks generally better than the females.

Getting tired of posters calling games visuals "horribly atrocious" "ugly and disgusting" "horrendous" of course we have our opinions but it feels like some are deliberately going way over the top with it. I'm not talking specifically about this game but in general, imagine working your ass off as a Dev and reading that shit, I'm all for constructive criticism but for fuck sake.

I think it's because they find it inexcuseable for what Mass Effect is. The game has a high level of quality in other areas, which makes this so jarring. But Mass Effect and Bioware have always been character and story focused, and now, with Andromeda, the combat and multiplayer seems to be the saving graces, while the other aspects are painful.
I think this adjustment of expectations is extreme for a lot of people who are not interested in enjoying Mass Effect for anything other than story.

MGS5 was similar. Many fans couldn't care enough about it being one of the best open sandbox and stealth experiences ever made, because people came for MGS for story. It was like asking people to re-associate their entire value system of how they had enjoyed a decades long running franchise.

Also, it's not about the visual quality. It's not that the character models are not good enough. It's that there is something fundamentally broken here- The character movement, eye tracking, lip synching, eye light, and so on, was better in the first game from 10 years ago. People are not upset over lack of high quality textures, but because the work in argueable the most important area of mass effect, is completely broken.

A measured response is needed, but it will take time for people to distance themselves. People have been outraged at every new Bioware release since ME2.

DA2? EA killed Bioware. It was an offense to humanity itself. a Conjob that earned EA the spot as the most harmful company in America. Was that a measured response anymore than the backlash over this? Or the ME3 ending fiasco? It was a fantastic game that didn't have satisfying amounts of choice in the end, but people acted for years like ME3 had tried to ruin their lives. And the hatred for Inquisition was unlike anything before it, with legions of people completely ignoring that optional filler side quests are fucking lame in just about every 60+ open world RPG. For some reason it becomes a buzz word that Inquisition had MMO quests and that they where somehow inferior to hunts, bounty hunts, collect-a-ton, and fetch quests in most other RPGs. It's massive reaching hypocrisy.

If I wanted to I could tear every JRPG and classic RPG with that amount of side content to shreads if I wanted to put those games under the same level of scrutiny.

There is just a different pedestal that Bioware is on, and as such the disappointment and expectations are higher which ends in a lot more anger when things are not meeting expectations. You see it with Bungie too. There is not a measured response to when they've fucked up in the past.

In all of the time I've been here, we've not been able to have a decent measured response to Bioware games. When Dragon Age Origins was in development, many posters here were outraged at the imbecile, petty and juvenile Marilyn Manson "dark, mature and gritty" marketing shit they pulled. Even back then, people wanted the game to desperately fail in the shadow of the game being a try-hard, cringefest. Usually accompanied with gonnagolistentolinkinpark.jpg memes.

The big problem is that a lot of gamers think they can influence the outcome with threats, passive or indirect (or direct). Sometimes gamers have been able to tank or destroy through terrible word of mouth. The community was succesful in basically destroying ArcheAge because of the cashshop. Communities have been succesful in stopping certain games from being localized, or making large companies like Microsoft change hardware and software direction. So there is this incentive for gamers to be extreme in their rhetoric and try and get other people riled up. If a lot of us go absolutely insane, Bioware will be more careful next time before they release a premature game.
But it doesn't work like that. if Andromeda has been in development in 5 years, then something has been wrong for a very long time. I don't think you can put this on EA. This has to be management related, but a lot of gamers don't understand this. They want concrete symbols, people and entites to hate. It's more satisfying to roundabout your hatred and condemnation of a construct like that EA is evil and out to tank Bioware on purpose.

When in reality, the truth is most likely a lot more unsatisfying and uneventful; Every milestone is simply trying to bring a game together, and then suddenly time is up, and sometimes a game doesn't come together in the end as it should. In many ways working on massive projects like this is like shooting fish in the barrel. It rarely ends up as the exact product you envisioned 5 years ago, you merely try to get as close as you can.

But you have plenty of problems along the way. I wouldn't be surprised if their frostbite engine didn't play nice with their dialogue system. Maybe they had to re-do a lot of things. Maybe their underestimated the level of monotone voice delivery in choosing to have separate voice recordings in favor of having more lines of dialogue in the game than in all of the trilogy combined. These are not ill-intended fuck ups, but logistical errors.

Skyr

So the game shows for me as "just released" even tho I'm in Germany and do not use VPN

Can somebody confirm???

Qi05FeD.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, so in case you guys forgot: this is the Mass Effect: Andromeda OT.

We've re-booted the review thread from the massive derail and public shaming of a poster who liked the game a bit too much for some of our more sensitive souls. We're asking you guys to kindly stop posting about him in this thread too. This also includes posting about how mean people are to him etc.

Just let it be, and enjoy the game (or not). :)

Yeah, so in case you guys forgot: this is the Mass Effect: Andromeda OT.

We've re-booted the review thread from the massive derail and public shaming of a poster who liked the game a bit too much for some of our more sensitive souls. We're asking you guys to kindly stop posting about him in this thread too. This also includes posting about how mean people are to him etc.

Just let it be, and enjoy the game (or not). :)

You're right, apologies

I dont think EA will support this like SQUARE are with FF personally. It seems they were happy to send a game out that isnt on the same level of quality as the others, and from most of the reviews it seems this is from a gameplay and story point of view.

FFXV had a lacking story, not necessarily a badly written one.

I think SE with FF is a weird rare case, honestly. Like, would literally any other dev with any other pub with any other IP have made A Realm Reborn? The fact that it exists is a crazy weird miracle.

With respect to Mass Effect, I remember when ME3 came out, they pushed back all their DLC plans to make the extended cut because the backlash was so bad. That goes well beyond some bug fixes and into actual new story content that wasn't there before, that they didn't charge for, in order to try and restore a little good will with the fanbase.

I don't expect that level of commitment, but ME's Story DLC has traditionally been very hit or miss. ME2 had Lair of the Shadow Broker and ME3 had Citadel, but they also each had some decent DLC and some bad DLC. I expect the same to happen with Andromeda. maybe a bad DLC, a great DLC, and a decent DLC.

Grisby

The first review thread got locked. Geez, seems to be happening more and more. Feels like it anyways.

Got the game paid off and ready to pick up from my GS at 9. Reviews were an interesting read to say the least.

I like the way your character looks. It looks on par with Inquisition in those pictures. He does look tired, but it looks like he is just mellow / chill.

I've noticed that the male ryders I have seen so far looks generally better than the females.

Thanks! His cheeks are a bit more severe than I usually favor, but for good reason; if you have full cheeks, interior lighting -always- focuses on them, which makes them super greasy, as evidenced by my first attempt:

http://i.imgur.com/Tl2KhLX.jpg

By sinking them in a bit, I managed to avoid that, and I find it the lesser of two evils.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You'll need to use the VPN to play it again until it's actually released.

Can turn it off whilst playing though

Hmmm... I'm second guessing my choice to start with FemRyder.

So talk to me GAF, who is going with male and who is gonna pick female for their first playthrough?

so, here's a few random positive things i've noticed:

+you can blindfire over cover now.
+cover system is better but takes some getting used to. Using the dash towards cover is a great quick way to get into cover instead of running up to it.
+you can finally rotate the camera while sprinting. Remember, this wasn't a thing before.
+in combat you can change between left and right shoulder views. Also wasn't a thing in the trilogy
+more NPC chatter (which I like, but some people won't)
+no more 1 button does everything. I don't have to wonder if A will pick up the datapad, roll forward, or go into cover.
+weapon holstering gives you a much better FOV compared to previous games.
+in multiplayer, the kill feed shows the type of combo and the gamertags of the two people that did the combo (was this a thing in ME3? I can't remember)

Top Bottom