• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

SCB3

just testing the Xbox one version now for early release, it got past the EA access trial at least

VPN worked, I'm in. :)

The animations might looks bad, but the rest of the game sure looks pretty in HDR on a 55" screen. I Wish my 1070 could do 4K too at 60 FPS but I guess you can't have it all.

Herne

Well, started the game and the first bug makes itself known - the intro video started playing and crashed a few seconds in, taking the game with it. Off to a good start...

Also, face five? The fuck?

SCB3

This is on XBox One

Well, I got past the trial screen,
  • loaded into the game,
  • still says thanks for playing the trial buy now,
  • went to that store page, pressed play,
  • now been connecting to server for 10 mins

I'll leave it in case it's downloading something for another 20 mins or so, but it seems it isn't working for now

Wubbys

The reviewer states it is very different from the original games. Perhaps freeing the last of the Rachni Queens or talking Wrex down in ME1 or sabotaging the cure for the genophage or negotiating a peace between the Quarians and Geth in ME3 didn't really really branch the narrative, but they all felt like weighty decisions. That's apparently lacking in ME:A, which seems to have mostly FallOut 4 fake-choices that don't differ beyond the particular choice of words used to express a sentiment.
This is the biggest pill for me to swallow. Mass effect without choice doesnt feel like mass effect.

Herne

Video got a little further this time and crashed again. Running on AMD's Andromeda driver (17.3.2) as well. Awesome.

Anyone here playing the full game already? If so....

My main concern remains the planets. I did not like Eos but some folks said the other planets were a lot better and much more fun to explore. Plenty of reviews deny this but there are also several reviews who stated the exact opposite. Anyone here who can say something about this? Are these worlds indeed very empty or is there enough reason for exploration?

I also saw a lot of critique about the characters but I had no problems with them in the trial, not at all. Some reviews even talk negatively about the combat and I would say the combat is the best it's ever been.

jt9247

Neo Member
Cdkeys just told me they will be sending the keys out today, but they don't know exactly what time. I will wait an hour or two (make and eat breakfast), and if it's still not delivered, I guess I will cancel with them, and buy elsewhere.

Xumbrega

Banned
This is on XBox One

Well, I got past the trial screen,
  • loaded into the game,
  • still says thanks for playing the trial buy now,
  • went to that store page, pressed play,
  • now been connecting to server for 10 mins

I'll leave it in case it's downloading something for another 20 mins or so, but it seems it isn't working for now

Did you tried a hard reset?

Cdkeys just told me they will be sending the keys out today, but they don't know exactly what time. I will wait an hour or two (make and eat breakfast), and if it's still not delivered, I guess I will cancel with them, and buy elsewhere.

Thats awesome news! (for me) I thought I had to wait until Thursday. Also I wouldnt buy elsewhere unless you confirm they have keys first. I know GMG and Gameplanet are also waiting on keys.

Morts

I only hear about it without much context in the Waypoint podcast and briefly mentioned in a few reviews, but the idea of
another ancient disappeared civilization
disappoints me more than the embarrassing animation.

Enclose

Wow, really? Thats fantastic to hear. Thanks for informing!

Welp, already cancelled to get on Origin(still haven't gotten money back). If they send out keys before I get my money back, well guess that's what I get for being impatient lol.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Yes!

MAX PAYMENT

So the real question is; will bioware give this game the same kind of support FFXV is getting?
Updates fixing story, cutscenes, etc?

Will EA just drop it or will this game, over time, get good?

Vengal

Anyone know if their comments about "having meaningful side quests akin to the Witcher" were accurate?

I think it depends on how profitable multiplayer is which would fund development of other ventures. I have to imagine stuff like the extended cut and new voice acting had alot to do with money coming from multiplayer.

If the game is very profitable then prolonged support would be a no brainier.

Makikou

Just great. Been fiddling with it for an hour now. Play button is greyed out yet Origin says it's "Just Released". Reinstalled Origin and all.

Support was a complete fluke as well.

I'm apparently not the only one and even legit users from India, HK, China & South Korea have the same issue..

witness

Are there any PS4 Pro details or experiences written anywhere? Still nothing from Digital Foundry, do any reviews comment on this?

Osahi

Anyone know if their comments about "having meaningful side quests akin to the Witcher" were accurate?

They are not. Most quests just cast you as an errand boy or girl, getting from A to B, pressing a button, killing some dudes, etc. Main quest sometimes have a moral decision at the end which have repercussions, but it's never as interesting or multiplayered as The Witcher ever was.

emag

Don't_believe_Bioware_PR's_lies.jpg

GameSpot said:
Crafting isn't Andromeda's biggest time-waster, however. That would be its tedious missions. Far too many open world quests--even some that feel important or come packaged in an interesting premise--devolve into multistep "go here, hit a button" errands. There's always another navpoint somewhere across the map or an NPC who needs exactly three items or a crucial datapad that's unexpectedly missing when you arrive. I frequently felt like an intergalactic errand boy, mindlessly scanning everything in sight so my omniscience AI partner could do whatever the situation required and give me a new waypoint to reach.

Just great. Been fiddling with it for an hour now. Play button is greyed out yet Origin says it's "Just Released". Reinstalled Origin and all.

Support was a complete fluke as well.

I assume you are in a region its out in? Otherwise it could be a VPN issue.

Unity2012

Thank you to OP & Shinobi for putting together the OT. Sometimes we take this things for granted. Great job.

With over 10hrs played, i can honestly say I'm enjoying the progression of the game. I see the flaws, yes; but it hasn't stopped me, at least for now, from enjoying the game.

I knew that coming from the trilogy, having experienced all the ups and downs of the protagonists, it was going to be hard to adapt to a fresh start, especially with a younger character that doesnt have the leadership presence of Shepard. Thats where customization played a big role for me (in spite of the current limited choices). It was easier, for me, to dive in with a stronger looking character than a younger inexperienced one. I understand they wanted us to build him up over time but when i think Mass Effect, its hard not to think Shepard and his crew.

With games like Witcher 3, Halo 4&5, uncharted 4, Battlefield 4 and now Horizon, its hard not to noticed the poor artistic characters presentation and animations of Andromeda, and yet, I'm still a Mass Effect fan above all. I like a lot of what I've seen so far. Im doing my best not to compare and take things as they come. I will give this one a chance to see for myself what else it has to offer.

Don't_believe_Bioware_PR's_lies.jpg
The problem with this read on it is that it's reductive as hell. The quest structure is mechanically simple, but by and large the narrative framework is good. If you Let yourself get caught up in it, even the go place scan thing quests are at least decent

Urgh. My game crashed AGAIN with black screen and direct x driver crash error.

Updated to the new nVidia drivers that came out today as well.

So the real question is; will bioware give this game the same kind of support FFXV is getting?
Updates fixing story, cutscenes, etc?

Will EA just drop it or will this game, over time, get good?

Honestly I expect to see the game get a few patches over a couple of months then it will be done, most games follow that pattern of a few months of support over updates then either stop or slow down, especially if any dlc is due or just released.

Honestly I expect to see the game get a few patches over a couple of months then it will be done, most games follow that pattern of a few months of support over updates then either stop or slow down, especially if any dlc is due or just released.

yeah i think this is what i'll wait for. I certainly wouldn't have pre-ordered knowing what i know now, but I'm happy to play the game in a month or two once the team's had some time to iron out bugs. Really sounds like Bioware Montreal needed another delay.

Rellik

Like I said, it's broken even for legit customers from India, HK, S.Korea & China. Play button greyed out.

Yep, definitely sounds like Origin to me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those who just blindly bashes everything that isn't Steam, but that piece of software has given me so many issues over the years. It pretty much forced me to get the PS4 version of this game.

Top Bottom