• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Maybesew

So I'm still early in the game and only level 2 in multiplayer, but is there a good primer on how to use the Apex HQ app to help you in the actual game? Something about what i should be trying to progress towards, etc

SGRX

Gutted to hear this - was really looking forward to multiplayer :(

Anyone got a positive experience of multiplayer?

I would be enjoying the multiplayer, if not for the constant disconnects, the game crashing (invariably when it happens, it's on one of the latter waves), rubber-banding and overall lag. Oh, and the fact that 75% of the time I create a match with a friend, the other two slots never get filled.

Finished the main story. I wouldn't be surprised If you tell me this janky ass piece of shit was the next big hit for the Spiders, you know the geniuses behind hits like "Bound by Flame" and "Mars War Logs".

This thing is a disaster from top to bottom. Terrible cast of characters, bad voice acting, horrendus animations, utterly shite story and even worse pacing. The only thing I can say that works in this, is the combat.

I feel like shit any time I face one of those fuckfaced NPCs and talk to them. I would have accepted it as a jank and moved one, only if I wasn't doing it for the 70 percent of the game.

This DOES feel like it's been made by a third grade studio.

wow.

lot going on here.

JMY86

I just encountered my favorite conversation so far:

Me: "Putting mines in your front yard isn't exactly a smart idea."
Krogan: "Are you a professional landscaper? No? Then get the fuck out of here!"

I have no idea why I found that so funny but I am still laughing...

Dubz

Ok one more MP question. Should I be saving for the most expensive packs? What's the pack strategy if I don't want to spend real money?

iFirez

I just finished the main story after about 20 hours or so. I mainlined the story and did very few sidequests. The game is good but its story kinda feels like a Halo game especially in the third act.

X-Frame

I don't know what I am doing with the Apex HQ app since I haven't played the game yet.

I'm sending my 2 teams on Bronze missions and they're failing on Silver. I'm so confused haha

witness

I just finished the main story after about 20 hours or so. I mainlined the story and did very few sidequests. The game is good but its story kinda feels like a Halo game especially in the third act.

Does it feel like your decisions along the way made a difference to the story? Are you interested in playing it again as a different gender or see different decisions?

I don't know what I am doing with the Apex HQ app since I haven't played the game yet.

I'm sending my 2 teams on Bronze missions and they're failing on Silver. I'm so confused haha

You have teams, and you can send them out to do missions. Bronze, Silver and Gold indicate the difficulty. The higher the difficulty, the less the chance of success.

If they fail a mission, the team gets a little XP and that's that. But if they win, they can get more XP and some crates for you to open for multiplayer stuff.

If you keep doing this, it'll give you a decent leg-up once you start playing and get to the MP component.

Grisby

Got past the prologue and first mission so to speak.

I want to play more. The shooting feels smooth but man did the performance bog on a regular ps4 at points. Since I'm expecting the planets to get more open and grandiose with effects I'm not looking forward to how the game will perform.

Still, it wasn't unplayable by by means and it smoothed out when in smaller and inside areas. Facial animations so far aren't great, as you may have seen, but the overall graphics aren't bad and the alien skin looks great.

However, It's strange at how quickly you just fall into the motions. Like, oh, hey Krogan and oh hey Asari . The game has a strong pull of presenting a new galaxy, but I'm wondering how far they'll take it.

Didn't feel much emotion with (first mission spoilers)
Ryder's dad dying. It was ok, but it's not like you get to know him very well at all. Should have had more convo's with him.

iFirez

Does it feel like your decisions along the way made a difference to the story? Are you interested in playing it again as a different gender or see different decisions?

No and No. I'm not even interested in going back into the game after the story is done, its mostly forgettable with a few key moments that won't resonant with most gamers. The lack of a paragon/renegade system makes the final missions feel generic aswell as the fact that your decisions seem to do nothing to affect those missions. There are decisions you make throughout the game that alter cutscenes and discussions but they never feel like they have a lasting effect.

It's an enjoyable game but I don't think it deserves the title Mass Effect because the biggest moments in trilogy are so much stronger than anything this game does. That said, it is a good game, good being the optimal word here... it doesn't leave me with a lasting opinion nor does it make me want to play it again.

Anyone know if we have a Gaf Spoiler thread yet? I'd love to discuss the ending couple of hours with people.

finlaybob

Neo Member
In UK here. So I've got my key from cdkeys, VPN'd to the US and now I'm getting this:

sAEH8td.png

Play button is greyed out. Can't click it! Tried rebooting origin and changing to Phillipines still nothing.

Anyone had/seen this who used VPN to unlock from the UK/EU?

Barzul

Finished the main story. I wouldn't be surprised If you tell me this janky ass piece of shit was the next big hit for the Spiders, you know the geniuses behind hits like "Bound by Flame" and "Mars War Logs".

This thing is a disaster from top to bottom. Terrible cast of characters, bad voice acting, horrendus animations, utterly shite story and even worse pacing. The only thing I can say that works in this, is the combat.

I feel like shit any time I face one of those fuckfaced NPCs and talk to them. I would have accepted it as a jank and moved one, only if I wasn't doing it for the 70 percent of the game.

This DOES feel like it's been made by a third grade studio.

Damn. I have my PC copy right here and I have not redeemed the code. Maybe I should just return it lol.

Snagret

Ok one more MP question. Should I be saving for the most expensive packs? What's the pack strategy if I don't want to spend real money?
I'll quote myself from earlier
It's pretty much identical to how ME3's progression loop worked. The intention is that you play Bronze matches in the early stages, and use the money you get from those to buy a lot of the smaller loot boxes (you can earn about 2-3 per completed Bronze match). You do this until you unlock enough gear/characters/upgrades, in combination with leveling up your roster, until you can survive Silver matches consistently. Once you can manage that, you start earning enough from Silver matches to buy higher tier loot boxes for higher chances at rarer, more powerful drops and characters. You continue the same path through Gold and Platinum, essentially.

If you're saving your cash from Bronze matches to buy the most expensive loot boxes, the progression slows to a crawl and it can feel frustrating. But you're not really supposed to do that.

Basically, spend all your cash on the low-cost boxes. Make sure you're buying the second one in the list, the first one (named "Supply Box" or something) skews towards consumables rather than unlocks and upgrades, but you'll get plenty of consumables from all the other boxes anyways.

nOoblet16

Ok been playing this for a good while now and honestly? I'm really liking this game. The story is kind of eh but the world building is quite good and I really like to go muck around doing random stuff. The profile system is quite fun and having access to every ability and weapon is great too.

One of the absolute best things about this game imo and something that's a massive improvement over past ME games is that you'll find your shipmates do their own thing when you're not in missions. Like they'll go around the ship, sometimes they'll be having 2-3 way conversations while you walk in on them. Even when outside the ship in settlement areas like the Nexus they'll just be walking around or chilling, sometimes alone sometimes with other shipmates...and I'm talking about all the shipmates rather than just the ones that you kept in our squad previously. Compare this to previous games where they'll always stand in one area for eternity and no one left ship in settlement areas except the two squad members you chose.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
No and No. I'm not even interested in going back into the game after the story is done, its mostly forgettable with a few key moments that won't resonant with most gamers. The lack of a paragon/renegade system makes the final missions feel generic aswell as the fact that your decisions seem to do nothing to affect those missions. There are decisions you make throughout the game that alter cutscenes and discussions but they never feel like they have a lasting effect.

It's an enjoyable game but I don't think it deserves the title Mass Effect because the biggest moments in trilogy are so much stronger than anything this game does. That said, it is a good game, good being the optimal word here... it doesn't leave me with a lasting opinion nor does it make me want to play it again.

Anyone know if we have a Gaf Spoiler thread yet? I'd love to discuss the ending couple of hours with people.

Question, do you think mainlining the game had a negative effect on your feel for it though? I (personally) can't imagine mainlining a game like ME:A, too much lore/sidecontent to discover and experience...I think if I mainlined it I would miss out on a ton of stuff that may make me like the game a whole lot more.

I just encountered my favorite conversation so far:

Me: "Putting mines in your front yard isn't exactly a smart idea."
Krogan: "Are you a professional landscaper? No? Then get the fuck out of here!"

I have no idea why I found that so funny but I am still laughing...

That's hilarious

iFirez

Question, do you think mainlining the game had a negative effect on your feel for it though? I (personally) can't imagine mainlining a game like ME:A, too much lore/sidecontent to discover and experience...I think if I mainlined it I would miss out on a ton of stuff that may make me like the game a whole lot more.

The story is pretty whole and I've played ME1,2,3 in a similar way as MaleShep and then went back as FemShep and did everything, all side quests and such. I never feel like I gained a ton more from these second playthroughs just deeper connections with characters and places. But yeah like I said the story is pretty whole and self contained so you get all the info you need for it out of it but I imagine side quests help explain and dive into it more. The Kett don't seem like a super scary villainous race to me, their leader has a baby face which actually made me laugh more than anything (we've seen him in trailers, I think its the big eyes). The other main new race who are allies are really awesome though, I love them.

Did they really have to recycle the
collector
plot?

It kind of goes in a different direction but the premise is super similar. Think ME2's plot mixed with Halo 4's plot.

Do any of you know if we are going to get a Digital Foundry PC vs console teardown? Only asking because I've heard various people say that the PS4 Pro version looks exactly the same as PC @ 4K Ultra... This can't be true right? I mean, I've tried to compare screens/videos and I can already see a huge difference myself but I haven't actually seen either version in person so...

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Damn. I have my PC copy right here and I have not redeemed the code. Maybe I should just return it lol.

Honestly, it's one of those RPGs that has many good things going for it (along with the jank), I recommend playing it for sure - it's not as good as the Shepard trilogy, but for me: it's probably on a Par with ME1 in everything except graphics (it feels like a new version of ME1 in a way).

Played up to the first major event on Eos, then returned to the Tempest and the Nexus and so far...I'm pretty hooked. It feels like every other Mass Effect game to me (definitely not a generational leap) which is scratching an itch I didn't realize I had, with snappier combat and better vistas. On the flip side, there's definitely odder looking humans and so far, less memorable characters. On that last note, I think a lot of people are pointing to the poorly written characters, and I think they're right with many of them, but I think part of that is just simply because we're dealing with alien races we've dealt with for 1, 2 or 3 full games already, and their inter-species politics are pretty well-worn at this point. The first couple of games' characters became memorable over time, but also benefited from being our introduction to a new species that we didn't already know about. They came with a personal history, but also a species history. That'll be my biggest disappointment, if the new species we encounter are as limited as I've heard so far, as the whole game is set up to be about exploration...

A few pet peeves:
- UI - it's awful and immersion breaking. So many tabs/clicks, etc. and so often when I do something on a planet, I get bumped back to a menu screen to tell me I picked up some ore or some shit. I also find it pretty poorly explained. I'm 12 hours in and still thoroughly daunted by things like crafting/modding/developing/researching and upgrading my character and the Nomad.
- Nomad - it's a little thing, but exiting the Nomad without a transition animation is also very immersion breaking. When I eject from it, sometimes my teammates go flying 50 yards ahead of me, and I just kind of appear out of nowhere from the Nomad.
- The galaxy map - yeah, it takes quite a few minutes in each solar system of unskippable transitions for what, most of the time, amounts to pressing a to find a few resources on a planet in each system.

But like I said, still really enjoying it. Just wish there was some element of the game, beyond the jet pack, that made this feel like a really new, next generation Mass Effect game. Whether it be flight exploration beyond a simple few clicks (or flight combat!), or a completely new set of alien species to encounter with new mechanics, or even just a polish that the new gen should've allowed.

I'm not understanding some of these UI choices. Why can't I open the map directly by pressing the trackpad? Makes no sense to hit option and then hit x to open the map. Small nitpick, but it makes no sense from a design perspective.

Barzul

Honestly, it's one of those RPGs that has many good things going for it (along with the jank), I recommend playing it for sure - it's not as good as the Shepard trilogy, but for me: it's probably on a Par with ME1 in everything except graphics (it feels like a new version of ME1 in a way).

I'm returning it anyways. Not sure I want to spend $48 on disappointment. Will revisit when it's cheaper and after a couple patches maybe.

Mifune

Mehmber

Most of the early side stuff is such garbage in this game that I can't imagine completing it any other way.

Is there a way to connect back online from single player? Coming back from rest mode causes it to disconnect and I have to go back to the main menu to reconnect. Pretty damn annoying.

Moff

In UK here. So I've got my key from cdkeys, VPN'd to the US and now I'm getting this:

sAEH8td.png

Play button is greyed out. Can't click it! Tried rebooting origin and changing to Phillipines still nothing.

I have the same issue and was hoping to find a solution in this thread!
it worked fine yesterday

parabolee

What is the general consensus so far from some GAF users who played the game for a few hours? Would I still enjoy it if I absolutely loved the Mass Effect franchise despite the obvious issues?

I am 15 hours in. As a Mass Effect fanatic I can safely say you will enjoy it. However none fans may be able to overlook the issues more easily as they will care less.

As a huge fan it breaks my heart to see the franchise presented in such a mess. The core of the game is great but terrible NPC animations are abound and I have never seen so many bugs in a Bioware game. It is utterly riddled with them. EA and Bioware should be ashamed to ship a game in this state.

There is still a lot to enjoy in the game, but I would have been MUCH happier if they took another 6 months to a year to fix the bugs and crap animations.

xealo

Think I just ran into one of those "super bosses" of this game while still only having been on two planets so far. This thing is deadly along with battle taking place in a hazard level 2 zone.

The game feels like a regression in a lot of ways. Even the MP. What made ME3 MP so fun isn't there. It feels top much of a grind. There was a time I would jump into ME3 MP just by myself on even Gold and have a blast. Right now, even on Bronze it is a chore. Combat and cover feel off, enemies feel spammy, level design is near useless since enemies can just show up out of nowhere, you can't really use tactics to tunnel things like in ME3.
Skill and weapon progression has been slowed a bit due to character cards now having 10 levels, but I think it's a combination of forgetting how much of a (fun) struggle the early bronze levels were in ME3 with shit weapons and needing to unlearn a lot of the ME3 tactics to shift to the new high mobility focus. Character loadouts also seem to have been balanced in a way that heavily favors team play and reduces your individual effectiveness - whether or not this was a good idea remains to be seen, but we'll see how they incorporate feedback into balance changes.

Ascenion

Yeah this is a mess. Story wise my suspension of disbelief is being tested and I'm just now getting to the nexus. The fuckery in the opening mission is nigh unbearable. So far the only thing I like is the combat.

I just had a long mission bug near the end for some reason. I can no longer interact with all the panels I'm supposed to press and I'm stuck in a combat arena with never-ending enemies spawning from side rooms. It wouldn't let me save and after 10 minutes of killing the same, slow trickle of kett I just gave up. I really hope there was a checkpoint before that final section.

I get called Ryder.

Then I assume you only changed the first name? Because that would make sense. But what if you make the last name Harrison for example? :) or did you actually make a complete new name and still get called Ryder?

The name thing in Fallout 4 was a nice touch.

Rellik

Then I assume you only changed the first name? Because that would make sense. But what if you make the last name Harrison for example? :) or did you actually make a complete new name and still get called Ryder?

The name thing in Fallout 4 was a nice touch.

I didn't know you could change the last name? When I went to change my name it only allowed me to edit my first name.

I'm returning it anyways. Not sure I want to spend $48 on disappointment. Will revisit when it's cheaper and after a couple patches maybe.

I am so curious what patches for this game are going to look like. The ship has sailed on the animation. They can maybe squash some animation bugs but that's about it. What's weird is that I wonder if any single player dlc is planned. Could dlc plans have been impacted by the voice actors strike?

Trickster

Am I the only one feeling overwhelmed by the research and development system? First time I looked at it, with barely and currency for RnD, there was already a million things to. Kinda have a hard time commiting to any of the things for fear of wasting my points

DeaDPo0L84

Havent done much story but the mp is a blast. I just really wish they went with dedicated servers, I have moments where the game almost comes to a complete stand still. Playing as a vanguard its even worse cause im attempting to fly around the map but then lag hits and I have no idea whats going on.

I didn't know you could change the last name? When I went to change my name it only allowed me to edit my first name.

Can't change your last name. Its like Shep from the first trilogy, could change the first name but it was just for flavor text as everyone called you Shepard anyways.

Pheace

Can anyone tell me what the Deluxe edition Elite Pathfinder weapons are like? Is it worth bothering with or are they mostly just reskins?

nOoblet16

sAEH8td.png

Yea it happens because VPN is slow or is having issues with Origin. All you need to do is make a fresh VPN connection, then launch origin. Once you do that click on Andromeda and have the pop up come up, it should take a min or two depending on connection for the play button to reappear. Also make sure that the game is fully closed in task manager sometimes even after quitting the game it had a tiny process running in the background preventing me from starting it again.

nOoblet16

Can anyone tell me what the Deluxe edition Elite Pathfinder weapons are like? Is it worth bothering with or are they mostly just reskins?

They're ok, I was unable to find mats for a sniper rifle but ended up redeeming the code and get a sniper which is decent early/mid game sniper. But now I have something much better.

Top Bottom