• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

xealo

Can anyone tell me what the Deluxe edition Elite Pathfinder weapons are like? Is it worth bothering with or are they mostly just reskins?

They've slightly better stats than what you'll have upon first hitting Eos, but it won't be long until you find something better. Don't bother with the deluxe edition unless you also want that hoodie for running around in hubs and on the ship with.

LNBL

Question about the radiation level after clearing the first vault on Eos:

I assume i just have to continue the main quest to get the remaining Level 3 radiation to clear out?

Madness

Then I assume you only changed the first name? Because that would make sense. But what if you make the last name Harrison for example? :) or did you actually make a complete new name and still get called Ryder?

The name thing in Fallout 4 was a nice touch.

If you quick start they call you Scott or Sara at times otherwise if you change the first name only, you are called Ryder by everyone.

Pheace

One is a SMG so that's nice, they're unique weapons but dunno if that really matters.

They're ok, I was unable to find mats for a sniper rifle but ended up redeeming the code and get a sniper which is decent early/mid game sniper. But now I have something much better.

They've slightly better stats than what you'll have upon first hitting Eos, but it won't be long until you find something better. Don't bother with the deluxe edition unless you also want that hoodie for running around in hubs and on the ship with.

Thanks guys, if it's just early strong versions of similar weapons in game I'm not interested. I'll just save the money for something else

Schlorgan

Metacritic User Score is at 3.8

Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama.gif

sangreal

Am I the only one feeling overwhelmed by the research and development system? First time I looked at it, with barely and currency for RnD, there was already a million things to. Kinda have a hard time commiting to any of the things for fear of wasting my points

nope, I'm in the same boat

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I am so curious what patches for this game are going to look like. The ship has sailed on the animation. They can maybe squash some animation bugs but that's about it. What's weird is that I wonder if any single player dlc is planned. Could dlc plans have been impacted by the voice actors strike?

I would bet the farm on the
Quarian
Ship DLC that's talked about very early in the game, which would be a great addition IMO.

Ulong

Metacritic User Score is at 3.8

Metacritic user scores are pretty worthless anyway since people can review games with no proof they played them. Like, how many of those negative reviews are people who haven't played the game reviewing it based off of what they've seen in videos. Past that, how many are people negatively reviewing it because "default Sara Ryder isn't hot enough", or any other number of dumb reasons that people pick to hate stuff online.

By most accounts the 75% real metacritic score seems to be a pretty fair assessment of the game.

BumRush

Question for those that have played a substantial amount: I have ME:A preordered already so it's available to play when I'm ready. With life and Horizon ZD I'm in no rush, and reviews have highlighted some technical issues.

Do you recommend waiting on a patch to fix those issues? Any idea if / when a patch will be incoming?

So if you make your character black, do your dad and sister remain the same?

Yes he'll be black. I think it suits more personally.

You can customize your twins appearance.

I actually prefer the look of female Ryder but while the voice acting sounds good it's just too...."young" for me. She sounds like the girl next door thrown into the role of a captain and I can't buy in. Shame because the male voice actor is just so generic.

Question for those that have played a substantial amount: I have ME:A preordered already so it's available to play when I'm ready. With life and Horizon ZD I'm in no rush, and reviews have highlighted some technical issues.

Do you recommend waiting on a patch to fix those issues? Any idea if / when a patch will be incoming?

The design flaws related to fast travel, the Galaxy Map, crafting & menus, etc. affected my enjoyment more than the glitches and technical stuff. Those design flaws are far less likely to be patched, so in my case, waiting wouldn't have changed my enjoyment level.

Am I the only one feeling overwhelmed by the research and development system? First time I looked at it, with barely and currency for RnD, there was already a million things to. Kinda have a hard time commiting to any of the things for fear of wasting my points
Same boat for me. The issue is that that made every armor require so many resources and require you to have the previous version before you can get the next level version. Same for every weapon (I think)

So now the issue becomes if it's worth using the few R&D points you have to make that that helmet level 1, then actually create it, because depending on where you are you might have to develop the level 2 version.

Ultimately that's a dumb system since resources in those volumes required you don't come up with super easily.

And two weapons I created were absolute shit compared to the shotgun that I got from the pre order bomus/deluxe edition.

I am afraid to waste any points because I know at some point somebody is going to say "don't bother with 99% of the weapons, weapons X and y with z augmentation are super broken.

Is there a way to see a suggested character level for missions/errands? I'm getting my ass handed to me on Insanity much more than the previous games.

Same boat for me. The issue is that that made every armor require so many resources and require you to have the previous version before you can get the next level version. Same for every weapon (I think)

So now the issue becomes if it's worth using the few R&D points you have to make that that helmet level 1, then actually create it, because depending on where you are you might have to develop the level 2 version.

Ultimately that's a dumb system since resources in those volumes required you don't come up with super easily.

And two weapons I created were absolute shit compared to the shotgun that I got from the pre order bomus/deluxe edition.

I am afraid to waste any points because I know at some point somebody is going to say "don't bother with 99% of the weapons, weapons X and y with z augmentation are super broken.
You'll find enough R&D to mess around. You don't have to craft stuff right away and resources become much less of a problem as well. You can even buy them éventually.
Is there a way to see a suggested character level for missions/errands? I'm getting my ass handed to me on Insanity much more than the previous games.
not that I know of but the game is just much more difficult than previous entries.

Zesh

Think I just ran into one of those "super bosses" of this game while still only having been on two planets so far. This thing is deadly along with battle taking place in a hazard level 2 zone.

Is it the
Architect
on Voeld? I'm currently trying to beat it, but this thing is insane.

Some people complained about input lag and I have it as well. Even when I use my TVs game mode which gives me a low input lag I still notice it. It's not nearly as snappy as Gears 4 for example.

X-Frame

You have teams, and you can send them out to do missions. Bronze, Silver and Gold indicate the difficulty. The higher the difficulty, the less the chance of success.

If they fail a mission, the team gets a little XP and that's that. But if they win, they can get more XP and some crates for you to open for multiplayer stuff.

If you keep doing this, it'll give you a decent leg-up once you start playing and get to the MP component.

Oh okay awesome, thank you. I just was curious if I was missing something because I've done about 12 missions so far and I barely have enough points to equip a team with any extras. I guess I'll get more of those points by actually playing?

Lime

So will pc get mods for better eyes n shit like that?

Depends on the community. I wonder if the tools made for DA:I for Frostbite 3 can make things easier for modders.

I hope Bioware fixes the eyes though, it's usually just the same single texture that is replicated across all humans anyway. It shouldn't be hard, but then again this is Bioware so...

Got my collectors edition nomad, very nice build quality and its very heavy. Love how the brake lights light up red when charging

I thought it wasnt out for like a week or so, was surprised it just turned up at the door just now

Hawk269

HDR implementation is really good in this game. Visually on PC game is fucking gorgeous, running it at native 4k/60fps is pretty amazing looking and lighting is really well done. This is the first PC HDR game for me and it is really well done.

tbm24

Reading some of the PS4 Pro impressions in this thread, would not be better for me to just play on my regular PS4 and not bother with the Pro? Going to be jumping in when I get home today and not sure where to start.

mcz117chief

I'm getting this game primarily for the multiplayer. The multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 is absolutely amazing and I hope that the one in Andromeda is just as good. Anyone who already played it, how does it compare to the 3rd game's multiplayer?

LilZippa

Anyone else have constant shaky cam on the first planet? I can barely aim and without anything happening I noticed it was just rocking all over. I'll try my other controller when I get back on.

Nekrono

So I just played up until 2 hours after the end of the trial (
after settling the first outpost and talking to the people there
) and I can say that I LOVE this game! This is definitely a Mass Effect game, with all it's jank and bugs.

- The combat is great, although it doesn't start opening up until you're a couple hours into Eos.
- The graphics are amazing (playing on PC maxed out) with great detail and vistas, planets really look alien and finally the tech is catching up to the point that it really flushes out what the series is all about.... alien worlds with a sense of mystery and discovery.
- Sound is top notch, especially in combat, but also overall. Music is very subtle for me so far, not as great as the original trilogy so far but I'm still early in the game.
- The flow of the game is pretty good although a bit overwhelming in the first hours since there's a lot of systems thrown at you in a very short time.

Human animations are definitely rough, sometimes they can be funny but other times it can take you out of the immersion, especially when you think how great the game and conversations could be if it had animation quality like The Witcher 3, it would be mindblowing since characters can look almost like CG at times with the right lighting.

One thing that I see getting a lot of hate is the scanning mechanic, I don't see why though, it's no different than detective mode in Batman or witcher sense in Witcher 3. Actually I think witcher sense is arguably worse since you always got the same dialogue "Hmmm blood, someone was attacked here, possibly by a creature, need to follow the trail", and this is coming from someone that actually enjoyed the dialogue and the mechanic in that game, but in Andromeda scanning makes much more sense and if you take the time to read you can get some pretty interesting lore and story tid bits that you would have missed otherwise, also you get some pretty great conversations while doing it. For someone who likes the lore in this fantastic universe this is a very welcomed mechanic!

I'm definitely in love with the game, I had to force myself to put the game down only because I had to sleep to go to work, I can't wait to get back tonight and see where the adventure takes me!

Also.... this game is MASSIVE.

Revas

MassEffectAndromeda_2017_03_20_17_35_53_647_zps4mupgchw.png

MassEffectAndromedaTrial_2017_03_18_14_19_27_106_zpshwclip3e.png

15 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. This one of the few times that I can agree with a games criticisms and yet still have a blast playing.

Though I did just get an email referencing Jaal's actions on the Tempest despite having never met him 0_o

undefined.png

m0Rm8v

15 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. This one of the few times that I can agree with a games criticisms and yet still have a blast playing.

Though I did just get an email referencing Jaal's actions on the Tempest despite having never met him 0_o

Man, those two boxes with X's in them are Godlike. Buying now.

EDIT: Much better lol. :p

Top Bottom