• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

I kinda love my sleazy stache Rider, even if his head is way too big for his body:
Gas9u9s.jpg

UuedxXF.jpg

Looks like Kenny Powers

dugdug

Banned
Um, anyone else on PS4 play for a few hours only to have the game stop you at a point to say the game needs 83 hours to finish installing? I had this game pre-loaded since Sunday night.

iFirez

I've just realized that a bunch the Mass Effect social media icons/art are actually of the end of the game... so much for spoiler culture.

I am 15 hours in. As a Mass Effect fanatic I can safely say you will enjoy it. However none fans may be able to overlook the issues more easily as they will care less.

As a huge fan it breaks my heart to see the franchise presented in such a mess. The core of the game is great but terrible NPC animations are abound and I have never seen so many bugs in a Bioware game. It is utterly riddled with them. EA and Bioware should be ashamed to ship a game in this state.

There is still a lot to enjoy in the game, but I would have been MUCH happier if they took another 6 months to a year to fix the bugs and crap animations.

This might be my favorite post in this thread. I too am absolutely loving this game. It's what I was hoping for in game play, and I am digging the story. But those animations and bugs... Damn.

HDR implementation is really good in this game. Visually on PC game is fucking gorgeous, running it at native 4k/60fps is pretty amazing looking and lighting is really well done. This is the first PC HDR game for me and it is really well done.

So you have it plugged into an HDR television?

15 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. This one of the few times that I can agree with a games criticisms and yet still have a blast playing.

I feel the exact same way. So much eye-rolling and disappointment at the dismal quality control re: glitches and design flaws, but I'm having a blast after dozens of hours and still loving the story, characters, combat and "Mass Effect vibe."

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'm actually really liking the game so far. Got Eos to about 80% viable, and have only run into two issues so far (some weird screen colouring thing during a cut scene, and two enemies hovering in the air). But yeah, it feels like Mass Effect to me. The combat is very nice, and as I am playing as a pure biotic (I've always played as Vanguard in the previous games), I feel like a bad ass Jedi just wrecking people.

The game is essentially what I've wanted since Mass Effect. Give me more exploration and not less of it. Give more customisation, and don't just take it away (one issue I'll touch on later). Your crew doesn't have that same bond I felt with the crew in the first or second games, but it's early so I can't really gauge that yet.

Speaking of customisation, the lack of full crew customisation is dumb. Inquisition brought it back for the Dragon Age series, so I was hoping Andromeda would have it as well. Because otherwise, you have a ridiculous situation where you're on a hazardous planet (weather temperatures below -50C) and Peebee is running around in a jacket and pants that don't even cover her legs. All the while you can see frost all over her body. Who the hell played through the game and went, "yeah she should be frozen and dead, but hey we've got a style of look to maintain"? If I have to give the game a knock, that would be it right there.

I know I'm having fun with a game when I look at the clock and it's already 1am, and I'm bewildered as to where all the time flew away to. Oh and, does anyone know how fast travel works? It keep saying "fast travel disabled" for me.

Tacitus_

Completed the first "dungeon". Pretty awesome.

Now I'm trying to tint my casual wear and I have no idea how to save the tint. Both buttons just throw it away.

Vic_Viper

Just picked up my Mass Effect pre order from GameStop. Was the Deluxe Edition a free upgrade or something for pre orders or did they give me the wrong copy lol?

Trickster

Also, this game stealth has the first female salarians right? Unless there was a minor npc in the previous game I'm not remembering.

Yeah I think so. I'm actually pretty okay with how they look,
I don't think every races needs to have a clear physical difference between gender, though maybe some tiny difference would be nice

Am I the only one who finds UI too slow and clunky?

yeah it's fairly clunky.

So many times I want to go to the map but pressing pause and A on my controller takes me to the character point menu for some reason.

Can someone tell me what is the point of limiting you to 3 powers because of no global cooldowns, only for when you want to switch to another favorite set you have to wait an initial period for the powers to recharge?

If the whole point is to be able to switch on the fly depending on the situation, that's dumb. If I'm fighting an enemy with armor I want to switch to flamethrower which is in a different set of mine, but all 3 of those powers are now in a global cooldown before I can use them and at that point I might as well kill them with weapons.

TLS Lex

Anyone have impressions of the game on the PS4 Pro @ 1080p? Wondering if there are any enhancements beyond vanilla PS4 for those of us who don't have a 4k TV yet.

Nekrono

I am 15 hours in. As a Mass Effect fanatic I can safely say you will enjoy it. However none fans may be able to overlook the issues more easily as they will care less.

As a huge fan it breaks my heart to see the franchise presented in such a mess. The core of the game is great but terrible NPC animations are abound and I have never seen so many bugs in a Bioware game. It is utterly riddled with them. EA and Bioware should be ashamed to ship a game in this state.

There is still a lot to enjoy in the game, but I would have been MUCH happier if they took another 6 months to a year to fix the bugs and crap animations.

I feel the exact same way. So much eye-rolling and disappointment at the dismal quality control re: glitches and design flaws, but I'm having a blast after dozens of hours and still loving the story, characters, combat and "Mass Effect vibe."

I hear you fellow pathfinders, I am loving the game too but like you said the bugs (although personally I haven't found many) and the bad animations can take away the appeal of the game, especially for non fans of the series. I can't say I'm a hardcore fan but I really had to push hard with the original ME to get through all the jank and stiff combat to get to the good stuff, I guess I build up some sort of resilience that makes it easier for me to get past these type of issues with a Mass Effect game because I know that at it's core there is a fantastic game, characters and story inside.

Nowadays people don't have much tolerance to get past the jank, especially with the overall amazing games that have come out recently. It's a shame EA/Bioware did not invest more time and resources into the animations and fixing the bugs, it's even worse that they actually thought it was a good idea to release a trial since not only brings out the animations and bugs but also gives you a piece of the game that doesn't really opens up until much later down the road, the trial does not sell you on what the game really is, it only harm the release of the game.

Hopefully we can have a "definitive edition" someday that solves all these issues but I doubt that will be the case.

Trickster

Are we limited to picking one outpost per planet, or is it possible to have more than one?

Random question. Can you shave default male Ryder?

I don't think so no, pretty sure that what you see in the character creator is what you get stuck with for the entirety of the game.

I need someone to explain to me how you can complete a multiplayer match, extract, see the end game results screen and THEN be told you've lost connection and receive zero experience or credits. Again, again and again. More than half of my matches have resulted in zero progress and I've played a lot of matches today.

I was ready to dump a ton of hours into this but I'm ready to just shelve it until they fix their shit.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Does anyone know of a way to get all cutscenes in the game to play at 21:9? Right now some do, and some some don't. Sometimes it switches during the same cutscene, which can be a little jarring. I'm going to check later, but I honestly don't recall if does that anytime you talk to people and the camera goes into that more personal, up close perspective.

Laekon

Has anyone found task quest that lead to anything else or where interesting? What about rewards? I'm thinking of skipping them all so not to get burn out as I do in other open world games filled with fairly useless quest.

Has anyone found task quest that lead to anything else or where interesting? What about rewards? I'm thinking of skipping them all so not to get burn out as I do in other open world games filled with fairly useless quest.

if by task quests you mean 'oh hey, go do/scan x amount of boring bullshit around the map' I'm going out of my way to avoid them and just leave the planet. I think they're largely for EXP so unless you absolutely need to level up I wouldn't do them. It doesn't seem like they learned anything with sidequests.

Ascenion

BroRyder is growing on me. Dude is basically Nathan Drake. Sometimes Tom Taylorson's VO is a dead ringer for Nolan North. Dude could probably fill in for him if he already doesn't.

I need someone to explain to me how you can complete a multiplayer match, extract, see the end game results screen and THEN be told you've lost connection and receive zero experience or credits. Again, again and again. More than half of my matches have resulted in zero progress and I've played a lot of matches today.

I was ready to dump a ton of hours into this but I'm ready to just shelve it until they fix their shit.

Man that really sucks. I have gotten my Assari Adept up to level 12 and also leveled a few other classes up to like 4 and I havent lost any experience at the end of matches.

SCB3

Is it the 23rd yet?

Why the hell is this not a worldwide, same day release? Xbox is ready to go as well

Probably a noob question but I am on the Nexus and the controller vibrates each time I walk past a certain section here. I scan around but don't see anything yet it keeps doing that. What am I missing?

Clauss

I've only gotten to play about two hours so I haven't formed any concrete opinions yet. Although, it's really encouraging to see lots of people in here having a good time with it despite the bugs/jank. I'm usually not the type to get worked up over that sort of stuff; I just like to play games lol

Can't wait to get home :D

tootie923

How spoiler-y is the multiplayer? I was reading this guide at Polygon and they mentioned this:

If you intend on playing Mass Effect: Andromeda online or don’t care about spoilers, it’s fair game, but there won’t be many surprises left if you jump into multiplayer right away.

Is it that drastic? I was hoping to wait a few weeks for some more patches to come in before I jumped into the campaign.

http://www.polygon.com/mass-effect-...-loot-boxes-skills-strike-teams-apex-missions

Laekon

if by task quests you mean 'oh hey, go do/scan x amount of boring bullshit around the map' I'm going out of my way to avoid them and just leave the planet. I think they're largely for EXP so unless you absolutely need to level up I wouldn't do them. It doesn't seem like they learned anything with sidequests.
I won't start playing until tonight but I thought I saw in the Giantbomb clip some quest where filed as task. It looked liked each quest was filed into different categories.

BroRyder is growing on me. Dude is basically Nathan Drake. Sometimes Tom Taylorson's VO is a dead ringer for Nolan North. Dude could probably fill in for him if he already doesn't.

I constantly confused him for Nathan Drake. It was crazy lol.

Probably a noob question but I am on the Nexus and the controller vibrates each time I walk past a certain section here. I scan around but don't see anything yet it keeps doing that. What am I missing?

You're most likely missing something -- it could be very small. I remember a couple of those where it didn't seem like there was anything to scan but I just had to keep looking.

Revas

Your controller should vibrate around quest related items/npcs etc.

Tacitus_

Liam just jumped through the ceiling in the vid call room and is now jogging outside the ship.

Goddamit, I just wanted to talk to you.

chur

What's the difference between a human soldier I and a human soldier III? I've unlocked a few characters in MP with a higher number, but I don't see anything different with them.

On my break and after looking at the threads currently on page 1, I think this will be the only ME:A thread I will participate in. The other ME:A threads seem to be too negative or toxic.

Thanks for those who are sharing cool things or tips if the game. Will do the same when I'm able to play more.

Top Bottom