• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Lime

I'm sad that Bioware went for the tired Nathan Drake type for their main character. That character is so 2008 and honestly grating to listen to for so many different games. I wish they'd expand and experiment more with their writing of character types instead of just copying what they think is popular.

Completed the first "dungeon". Pretty awesome.

Now I'm trying to tint my casual wear and I have no idea how to save the tint. Both buttons just throw it away.

Dungeon? Without spoiling too much, that on Eos?

I'm sad that Bioware went for the tired Nathan Drake type for their main character. That character is so 2008 and honestly grating to listen to for so many different games. I wish they'd expand and experiment more with their writing of character types instead of just copying what they think is popular.

Well I gotta say I don't mind him at all. The guy is doing a fine job and he doesn't annoy me. What I did find annoying is the shit Liam says sometimes like "oh looks like he's really mad at me, maybe because I shot him in the face." during combat. Sounds stupid, lol. Apart from that he's cool too though.

Either the same tired Nathan Drake trope or a girl better suited for a teenage drama than as a Pathfinder

Have people found that fem ryder seems to get a bit more serious as the game goes on? I love the quality of her voice work and its unique but man I can't take her seriously early on.

On my break and after looking at the threads currently on page 1, I think this will be the only ME:A thread I will participate in. The other ME:A threads seem to be too negative or toxic.

Thanks for those who are sharing cool things or tips if the game. Will do the same when I'm able to play more.

sorry for people having their own opinion of the game they are playing

Would this game be a good place to jump on the Mass Effect train? I've never had that much interest in the series but something about Andromeda interests me. I'll be getting it on PC so I'll have to wait til that comes in. I was close to just saying nevermind due to all the controversy, but the impressions in this thread have me giving it a second look.

nOoblet16

if by task quests you mean 'oh hey, go do/scan x amount of boring bullshit around the map' I'm going out of my way to avoid them and just leave the planet. I think they're largely for EXP so unless you absolutely need to level up I wouldn't do them. It doesn't seem like they learned anything with sidequests.

I won't start playing until tonight but I thought I saw in the Giantbomb clip some quest where filed as task. It looked liked each quest was filed into different categories.

Has anyone found task quest that lead to anything else or where interesting? What about rewards? I'm thinking of skipping them all so not to get burn out as I do in other open world games filled with fairly useless quest.

See it's impossible to avoid those sort of side missions in an RPG, Witcher 3 is considered the gold standard for RPG but that was was filled with go here and do Witcher sense thing sub quests..which which nicely written with their story was still pretty mundane.

This game has them too but it also has side quests with their own story and boss fights. I just finished a quest that started off with a go here and scan this and ended up with a new enemy encounter and I then it started a new quest that asked me to kill the enemy. Should I have chosen to not kill it, it would have just stayed there doing its own thing and I could have come back for it later.

Ushay

sorry for people having their own opinion of the game they are playing
Being negative is ok, welcome even. But making threads 'toxic' isn't. For example, 'Omg this game is utter trash and the mass effect IP deserves to die'. I think thats what he meant.

Nephtes

I disagree...
I started Mass Effect 1 with Male Shepard and couldn't stand the voice acting and after about 2 hours I said "fuck it!" And rerolled femshep and never looked back.
Broshep was just too much of a meathead sounding guy that didn't fit at all with the custom character I made.

BroRyder on the other hand... He sounds the part for the character model I customized.
Haven't checked SisRyder yet, honestly the animated gifs of her awkward facial expressions have kind of scared me off.

itschris

I cancelled my PS4 preorder after the worrying inital impressions, the Giant Bomb stream, and the reports of iffy console performance. Over the weekend though, I decided to try the PC version trial on Origin Access - I was such a big fan of the original trilogy, I figured I should at least try the game myself. I ended up liking it enough to buy the full game (getting a good deal on cdkeys.com was what pushed me over the edge). I just finished the major story sequence on Eos, and so far I've been having a great time!

Sure, there are some bad animations and ugly human character models, but they don't bother me that much. Some of the issues (like the backwards gun) happen so fast I'm sure I wouldn't have even noticed if not for the .gifs repeating them over and over again (of course, that's not to say they shouldn't fix them). I've been interested in the story so far - I liked uncovering what happened (mild early spoiler)
to the original Eos colonists
before I arrived. The gameplay has also been fun - I love the extra mobility you get with the jump-jet.

Sarcastic Lady Hawke is great tho.

theDeeDubs

Really loving the game so far. Combat feels great. So far I'm mainly focusing on biotics like usual. The jump and dash adds so much to combat. I feel like I'm taking cray pills when I read all these reviews...

They definitely didn't put their best foot forward with the first couple of hours, which was rough. On Eos now, hoping it picks up a bit. First impressions are fairly positive, feels really unpolished though, maybe the result of rushed development?

Snagret

Would this game be a good place to jump on the Mass Effect train? I've never had that much interest in the series but something about Andromeda interests me. I'll be getting it on PC so I'll have to wait til that comes in. I was close to just saying nevermind due to all the controversy, but the impressions in this thread have me giving it a second look.
Interesting question, I'm not sure how to answer it. I think 1 is a pretty tough sell these days, it has a pretty great core story and world building surrounded by a LOT of tedium and fairly bad combat. 2 and 3 are probably still palatable but they tie pretty strongly into the events of the first game that you'd be doing a disservice to yourself by jumping in the middle of the trilogy. That and they don't exactly wrap up in a very satisfying way.

I think they're some of the best games ever made honestly, but as a whole package the original trilogy has some pretty rough edges. That said, I'm not sure ME:A is the best intro to the series either, considering that it also is banking on fans' familiarity with the series.

I'd say if you enjoy space-opera sci-fi then pick up Mass Effect 1, and if you're grabbed by the story, setting, and characters then set the difficulty to normal or easy and don't worry about completing all of the side quests (maybe do a few of the mako ones just to experience how bad they are, but don't bother going for 100%). If you mainline the story it isn't too long of a game and it's worth the experience. 2 feels leaps and bounds more modern in its structure, gameplay, and cinematic quality so it'll feel like a nice treat after completing 1.

And then 3 is...well, it's worth seeing how the story finishes at least. It's pretty controversial for a reason though.

Then by the time you're done with all that, ME:A will be patched and discounted and that'll probably be the perfect time to jump in.

FHIZ

So I've been at work all day and can't seem to find anything about it, but has there been any ETA on the Ryder sharing site going live?

Stiler

Can someone tell me how you take screenshots? Can't find it in the options menu.

I noticed a screenshot folder in documents/bioware/mass effect andromeda but can't seem to find out how to take them.

Origin really needs to catch up to steam in this regard and have a screenshot function built in that works for all origin games.

Laekon

See it's impossible to avoid those sort of side missions in an RPG, Witcher 3 is considered the gold standard for RPG but that was was filled with go here and do Witcher sense thing sub quests..which which nicely written with their story was still pretty mundane.

This game has them too but it also has side quests with their own story and boss fights. I just finished a quest that started off with a go here and scan this and ended up with a new enemy encounter and I then it started a new quest that asked me to kill the enemy. Should I have chosen to not kill it, it would have just stayed there doing its own thing and I could have come back for it later.

Again that's not the question. There are quest classified as "Task". Its like the third tier of quest. It's not about what a quest has you do but how it is classified and if there is any worthy reason to do them. There are only so many game mechanics so any type of quest will have you scanning things or killing random NPCs. But so many quest in these games exist just to extend play time and have no useful reward or story.

Stevey

Can someone tell me how you take screenshots? Can't find it in the options menu.

I noticed a screenshot folder in documents/bioware/mass effect andromeda but can't seem to find out how to take them.

Origin really needs to catch up to steam in this regard and have a screenshot function built in that works for all origin games.

Just add Origin as a game to STEAM

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What makes it worse is how close to Nolan North the voice actor sounds, to the point where I thought Nolan a North was the voice actor. But now I can't help shake off that dollar store feeling of it all. Like when they tell you, "but it tastes like chicken though!" Yeah, but now I know it's not actual chicken, and it doesn't have that same feeling. Also, that very first NPC that calls out to you in the prologue (where you have to discover the leak in the relay), is it just me or did that sound like Fem Shep (Jennifer Hale)?

Hoo boy, the performance on PS4 Pro...noooooot good. Without a performance/resolution toggle like other games I'm stuck with stutter and drops. Yay. Maybe I'll get it for PC after all, cap it at 30 if necessary. That's gotta be better than this.

Fedelias

How are you PC guys finding combat/movement with mouse and keyboard? ME3 felt pretty good so I'm hoping this is the same, I want to use snipers and I can't aim for shit with them on a controller.

Mifune

Mehmber
Again that's not the question. There are quest classified as "Task". Its like the third tier of quest. It's not about what a quest has you do but how it is classified and if there is any worthy reason to do them. There are only so many game mechanics so any type of quest will have you scanning things or killing random NPCs. But so many quest in these games exist just to extend play time and have no useful reward or story.

I have only done one task and it was terrible, barely-designed busywork. Not doing anymore.

This game is a gigantic disappointment to me. Not really even sure how to put it into words other than to say that literally everything feels half-baked in both the single player and multiplayer.

Lister

Banned
How are you PC guys finding combat/movement with mouse and keyboard? ME3 felt pretty good so I'm hoping this is the same, I want to use snipers and I can't aim for shit with them on a controller.

Pretty good. I'm not a fan of using numbers for powers so I bound them to my mouse with shift + QE&R as secondaries.

Feels good, make sure you turn off auto aim as it's lefton by default for some ungodly reason.

Well, just finished the opening prologue and I'm vibing it hard. It's got that same level of jank the first game had, maybe even worse, but I'm loving the actual environments and gameplay. This really brought back that ME1 nostalgia. You can definitely tell though that something happened during development because there's no way they intended the dialogue scenes to look like they do.

Movement and combat feels wayyyyy better than the previous games too so there's that.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Goodness just when I thought I had seen the entire Eos map.... Nope. There's more. Wasn't ready to leave just yet anyway. :)
Yeah I wanted to leave, but then I noticed
a memory marker on the other side of the outpost. So I decided to quickly go grab it. What?! The Kett have an entire city out there, and my life support is being drained a great deal due to extremely hazardous conditions?!
Clearly I came across something I wasn't supposed to lol.

Mifune

Mehmber
This game is a gigantic disappointment to me. Not really even sure how to put it into words other than to say that literally everything feels half-baked in both the single player and multiplayer.

It feels like the designers forgot to design certain parts of the game. It's so bizarre to play a major big-budget game that feels like this. Last time was Too Human.

Interesting question, I'm not sure how to answer it. I think 1 is a pretty tough sell these days, it has a pretty great core story and world building surrounded by a LOT of tedium and fairly bad combat. 2 and 3 are probably still palatable but they tie pretty strongly into the events of the first game that you'd be doing a disservice to yourself by jumping in the middle of the trilogy. That and they don't exactly wrap up in a very satisfying way.

I think they're some of the best games ever made honestly, but as a whole package the original trilogy has some pretty rough edges. That said, I'm not sure ME:A is the best intro to the series either, considering that it also is banking on fans' familiarity with the series.

I'd say if you enjoy space-opera sci-fi then pick up Mass Effect 1, and if you're grabbed by the story, setting, and characters then set the difficulty to normal or easy and don't worry about completing all of the side quests (maybe do a few of the mako ones just to experience how bad they are, but don't bother going for 100%). If you mainline the story it isn't too long of a game and it's worth the experience. 2 feels leaps and bounds more modern in its structure, gameplay, and cinematic quality so it'll feel like a nice treat after completing 1.

And then 3 is...well, it's worth seeing how the story finishes at least. It's pretty controversial for a reason though.

Then by the time you're done with all that, ME:A will be patched and discounted and that'll probably be the perfect time to jump in.

I guess the things that interest me most about Andromeda are the vistas, the exploration and the gameplay, which is then topped off by ME RPG systems. The gameplay in particular looks especially fun. But at the same time I feel like if I go in starting with the original trilogy I'll be more likely disappointed by Andromeda than I would be had I started with it, in addition to the older games seemingly for the most part lacking what I'm looking forward to about Andromeda which is my reasoning for that. (Also know how the whole story thing goes down in ME3 and that feels kinda discouraging) but I think waiting for patches would be best in either case (Though I hope it does actually get patched to fix its major flaws) and if I can get a good deal on the trilogy and all its content on Steam when I get my PC I'll definitely grab it.

emag

What's the difference between a human soldier I and a human soldier III? I've unlocked a few characters in MP with a higher number, but I don't see anything different with them.

More color customization options.

You can always use Windows' built-in screengrabber (Win + PrtScn). Well, as long as you're playing windowed/borderless.

I guess the things that interest me most about Andromeda are the vistas, the exploration and the gameplay, which is then topped off by ME RPG systems. The gameplay in particular looks especially fun. But at the same time I feel like if I go in starting with the original trilogy I'll be more likely disappointed by Andromeda than I would be had I started with it, in addition to the older games seemingly for the most part lacking what I'm looking forward to about Andromeda which is my reasoning for that. (Also know how the whole story thing goes down in ME3 and that feels kinda discouraging) but I think waiting for patches would be best in either case (Though I hope it does actually get patched to fix its major flaws) and if I can get a good deal on the trilogy and all its content on Steam when I get my PC I'll definitely grab it.

EA/Bioware games aren't available on Steam, post-ME2.

The jet pack in Andromeda is pretty cool, the worlds are far more graphically appealing, and there's far more item crafting/collecting than in the previous trilogy. If that's what interests you, and if storytelling/pacing and UI aren't dealbreakers, Andromeda seems like a sensible decision.

Maligna

Banned
Don't know what the entire internet is on about. I'm enjoying the game immensely. Feels exactly like the old Mass Effects to me and that's all I wanted.

Top Bottom