• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Neolombax

Does the game play okay on the regular PS4? I'm willing to overlook janky animations and the uninspired writing...to a degree I think. The combat looks fun? If that gets bogged down by really low fps drops, I think that may just kill off any interest I have to play this game.

How is the multiplayer in general? I've been hearing a lot about lag and rubberbanding. Is it that bad?

Skyr

So I downloaded the deluxe edition content but the supposed armor and casual outfit are nowhere to be found ingame.

How do I get my hands on it?

denx

Fucking hell, the first monolith just won't activate even though I scanned the two glyphs. Looks like I'll have to load a save all the way back to the start of Eos and hope the game won't shit its pants when I get to the monolith. *sigh*

character creation system... sucks, which kind of baffles me considering they could have easily just used the one from DAI?

I mean I can't believe how limited the choices are here.

Anyway made a character I like, so I'm just starting up now. Does anyone know how I get access to my Andromeda Initiative website DLC gear and other DLC stuff?

Anyone? Also how do I use omnigel?

Kaji AF16

Eight hours in, I am more satisfied than what I expected. I preordered mere hours before launch, even after reading the comparatively brutal reviews.

After Fallout 4, I promised myself not to purchase games with unconvincing pre-launch footage. This time I believed I was going to resist the temptation, but I just love the Mass Effect universe too much.

It does have recurrent cringeworthy moments and some incredible flaws, but the balance is still positive to me.

I'm stuck. I got to the monolith in Eos and scanned the two glyphs but the central console still does nothing. Am I missing something or did the game just bug out on me?

The same happened to me. I went to the Nexus and completed a few sidequest before eventually returning to Eos and being able to activate the console.

Vamphuntr

I have 2 planets to 100% Viability. So far it seems like DAI in space which isn't a bad thing. It's just weird for ME to simply have you around huge maps running errands. It leads to pretty poor pacing.

JoeBoy101

Anyone? Also how do I use omnigel?

You can't mess around with the custom stuff until your on the Tempest. It'll take a little while. I believe you craft them from Research Stations.

As to omigel... you don't. :)

There will be boxes around, similar to ammo, with a red icon. You can heal there. Aside from that and skill/profile perks, you don't heal.

character creation system... sucks, which kind of baffles me considering they could have easily just used the one from DAI?

I mean I can't believe how limited the choices are here.

Anyway made a character I like, so I'm just starting up now. Does anyone know how I get access to my Andromeda Initiative website DLC gear and other DLC stuff?

Looks almost exactly like my Ryder. Go figure. :p

UberLevi

Anyone else on PC experiencing crashes when embarking for the priority mission on
Voeld
involving
meeting up with the Angaran resistance
?

JoeBoy101

I only played the trial, but for those of you who are farther, is communication with the Milky Way (via quantum entanglement communicators, as used in ME2 & 3) ever addressed? I'm guessing not.

I'm about halfway(?) in I think and there has been no communication. Actually, there is bluntly stated reports that there have been no responses at all to beacons to the Milky Way.

Animal

Banned
I am only on the first mission but I am happy to report that this is the Mass Effect I have been waiting for.

Don't get stuck on the unimpressive facial animations. The game more than makes up for it in environments. Such beautiful areas!

Zesh

Not impressed with the Architect fights. I'm fighting my second one now, and it just has too much health. Really sucks if you die toward the end of the fight.

Altairre

Almost enough points to unlock tactical cloak. Then all I need are the materials for the asari sword and my Ryder can be the space ninja she was always meant to be. Charge and Nova are my other two skills. Not entirely sure I want to keep Nova though it's obviously a pretty good follow up skill for charge. On the other hand, I can always just melee after the charge. Any recommendations?

JoeBoy101

BTW, the companions are starting to flesh out nicely. Liam is totally justifying his place on the ship and is very down-to-earth. Jaal is the new Garrus, he is just unbelievably awesome. Haven't down much with Vetra, but digging her so far as well. Cora's a bit meh, and still into Peebee.

Though the game tends to throw companions at you quickly and sometimes awkwardly, I think the added time with them and their stories helps out.

Digging the game more and more, and the Kett are really becoming more interesting.

Altairre said:
Almost enough points to unlock tactical cloak. Then all I need are the materials for the asari sword and my Ryder can be the space ninja she was always meant to be. Charge and Nova are my other two skills. Not entirely sure I want to keep Nova though it's obviously a pretty good follow up skill for charge. On the other hand, I can always just melee after the charge. Any recommendations?

I have a modded shotgun that shoots plasma blasts. :)

That said, a powered up Shockwave works wonders and can detonate combos.

Just got to
Voeld. Going back to clean up Havarl first though. Maybe Eos as well.

I am LOVING this game! The combat of ME3 with improved mobility, combined with the mystery and exploration of the first game... Except more mysterious because it's all unknown territory to everyone! Characters have been cool so far and I'm enjoying getting to know everyone. Jaal is my favorite. I have my romance eyes set on Dr. T'Perro though.

I'm messing with research and development a little bit because I want a semi auto assault rifle... But I'm missing pretty much one element needed for all the weapons.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying my time with this game. I can't wait to dive into this dungeon I stumbled upon tomorrow morning before work!

You'd think 600 year later they'd have the tech to beat the ADI to Andromeda.

Possibly, but as a soft-reboot I think its better to brush ME3's problems aside for now.
Who knows, haven't met with the Quarians yet. It was mentioned their ark was having issues when the other arks left, so they may have news.
Although, I'm not sure if Quarians are actually in the main game, or will simply be mentioned.

nOoblet16

Not impressed with the Architect fights. I'm fighting my second one now, and it just has too much health. Really sucks if you die toward the end of the fight.

Really? I thought it's a pretty simple fight in that the phases are fixed. You take the leg out and then you have all the time in the world to shoot the face until it closes up and just repeat it.

Just use incendiary ammo with something that has high DPS, avoid snipers as it has low rate of fire and instead just use a mid/slow firing assault rifle with incendiary ammo on leg, you only have to take 50% of the leg health before mouth opens and it takes like 10 seconds to do that. Beside you'll most likely have plenty of indoor areas with cover around...atleast that's how it was for me on the icy planet.

Altairre

I have a modded shotgun that shoots plasma blasts. :)

That said, a powered up Shockwave works wonders and can detonate combos.

Kind of sucks that I don't have anything to prime. Wonder whether the biotic field is worth a try though the recharge time penalty might be too severe.

Zukkoyaki

Only a few hours in and the reviews seem pretty spot on. It's definitely lacking in polish but gameplay and mechanics are stellar. I look forward to digging in more.

Zesh

Really? I thought it's a pretty simple fight in that the phases are fixed. You take the leg out and then you have all the time in the world to shoot the face until it closes up and just repeat it.

Just use incendiary ammo with something that has high DPS, avoid snipers as it has low rate of fire and instead just use a mid/slow firing assault rifle with incendiary ammo on leg, you only have to take 50% of the leg health before mouth opens and it takes like 10 seconds to do that. Beside you'll most likely have plenty of indoor areas with cover around...atleast that's how it was for me on the icy planet.

The fight is very simple, yes; it's actually quite dull -- I just do the same thing over and over. Dodge the grenades and the blast; go into cover for the turret.

There's no way I can take out 50% of a leg in 10 seconds. I only have a pistol and shotgun, and I'm playing on Insanity.

I think the one on Vould was a bit easier because there was a lot more cover for the turret. The cover isn't as reliable on Eos, so I got instantly killed by the turret a few times.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So uh going by what I've seen so far it seems the game isn't altogether ass, just extremely uneven in spots? Like at times it looks gorgeous and at others it's just "The hell am I watching?"

Zukkoyaki

So uh going by what I've seen so far it seems the game isn't altogether ass, just extremely uneven in spots? Like at times it looks gorgeous and at others it's just "The hell am I watching?"
A game that isn't as bad as the hyperbole on NeoGAF would suggest? Who would have thunk it? Lol ;)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
A game that isn't as bad as the hyperbole on NeoGAF would suggest? Who would have thunk it? Lol ;)

Oh please, it's hardly a "GAF" thing, GAF is just one look into the internet at large, even though we like to hold ourselves to a higher standard at times :p

Are you guys keeping Chromatic Aberration on or off? I have no idea what the effect does. Seems to look better with it off on my Pro, what do you guys think?

I turned film grain off, hate it in games and I hate it in shows or movies too. CA is off too I think, because I thought it looked ever so slightly more crisp.

Chumley

Banned
40fonpl7vtpoa3me4zh7znosu8.jpg

Considering just putting this on the bench for a while if they're actually planning to thoroughly fixing the animations and faces.

Dany

Banned
Travelling. Between. Systems. Or. planets. or. anything. sucks.

Like, why should I bother to travel to a planet when there is nothing there.

Just popping in to say I've been knee deep with the game all day and loving everything after the trial area.

Insanity difficulty has started to become just a tad less brutal now that I've completely focused on defensive passives and a sentinel tech build. You're still dead as dead can be if you mess around in the open too long though, don't know how people are managing to play as a vanguard on Insanity, fuck that.

ViciousDS

Banned
Travelling. Between. Systems. Or. planets. or. anything. sucks.

Like, why should I bother to travel to a planet when there is nothing there.

I find scanning for resources........insanely stupid. I don't want to constantly walk around with my scanner out

I was about to laud Bioware for this awesome small sidequest because it took place in a destroyed structure halfway buried in the ground, which clearly took work to make but then I left it and was thrown across the map because the game kept the slant, lol.

Has anyone else experienced teleporting dogs when fighting the kett in mp? It happened to me a couple times a few matches ago and was a bit annoying as they would teleporting into melee range even when they were a few meters away from me before.

Because of my slow internet, I have discovered that Origin downloads that exceed 24 hours only display the h:m:s in excess of 24. And thus the mystery of why Origin thought it would only take 3-4 hours to download 44 GB at 400 KB/s was solved.

Kyoufu

Has anyone else experienced teleporting dogs when fighting the kett in mp? It happened to me a couple times a few matches ago and was a bit annoying as they would teleporting into melee range even when they were a few meters away from me before.

Yes, it happens a lot. :/

Zesh

Just popping in to say I've been knee deep with the game all day and loving everything after the trial area.

Insanity difficulty has started to become just a tad less brutal now that I've completely focused on defensive passives and a sentinel tech build. You're still dead as dead can be if you mess around in the open too long though, don't know how people are managing to play as a vanguard on Insanity, fuck that.

Running a Vanguard on Insanity. It got easier after I leveled up a bit and fully upgraded Charge and Nova. I'm running those two and Energy Drain at the moment; I basically just spam Charge every chance I get, and use the other two for damage/combos/i-frames/shield restore.

Weebos

Banned
Played a couple of hours tonight. I'm enjoying it so far, but there are issues.

Some of the writing has been noticeably bad, though most of that has been incidental dialogue.

I'm not crazy about the combat, I much preferred the tighter gameplay from ME2 and ME3. This feels closer to ME1, might just be the auto-cover system.

chur

Reviving people in MP sucks. Also, that objective where you have to upload or hack 4 nodes sucks too. My character would simply stop doing it just because an enemy was near. They weren't dealing damage to me.

Top Bottom