• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

That's better than the PS4 at least, I've enjoyed my time with the game so far but the planet I'm on now is just constant crashes. Besides the bugs, animation, and the fact a lot of the quests feel like DA:I crap...the game has fun combat and the exploration is super fun as well.
I'm usually one to defend DAI on gaf but even the tasks which are the absolute most barebone quests in andromeda have much more context than Dragon Age Inquisition.

denx

I'm stuck. I got to the monolith in Eos and scanned the two glyphs but the central console still does nothing. Am I missing something or did the game just bug out on me?

Quick question about ME:A, feel free to tag an answer with spoiler bars if it does have any (I'm not bothered by spoilers but just in case others are).

So from what I've briefly seen of gameplay you can pretty much hop from planetary system to planetary system without a care in the world and travel to the far side of Andromeda if you so wished to. Can I ask, how the hell this is possible without an equivalent to the mass relays? It might seem like tedious nitpicking but the mass relays were a pretty damn important piece of lore for the series, essentially being the entire reason all the races could meet up and the basic bedrock for exploring the Milky Way was due to having access to these ancient devices, and they also helped to give Mass Effect it's more grounded feel in the world by having at least some science to the space magic.

But now in Andromeda everyone can fly around the galaxy willy nilly in the Tempest? Ryder and co. can just warp to any system they like without turning into geriatrics in space? The only two things I can imagine are that there was some new technology created (Which, depending on the execution, would be a lazy ass cop out), or Bioware just decided to brush that off for the sake of a new game in a new galaxy. I can't imagine they they just forgot how something as basic as travel worked in their own games.

How the hell do you play multiplayer with friends? I'm creating a public lobby and inviting my friend but it isn't matching anyone else in our game.

Nekrono

I find the Research and Development a bit confusing. I mean it's clear I can't research a whole lot yet. But I can start development on a certain assault rifle for example. Before I do I want to compare it to what I currently have equipped. I press the right stick to compare but..... i dont see the comparison?

It's a bit confusing the first time, when you press the right stick it will start scrolling the comparison across all your current equipped weapons with every click. You can see which weapon it is currently comparing it to at the bottom where the button prompts are.

denx

Quick question about ME:A, feel free to tag an answer with spoiler bars if it does have any (I'm not bothered by spoilers but just in case others are).

So from what I've briefly seen of gameplay you can pretty much hop from planetary system to planetary system without a care in the world and travel to the far side of Andromeda if you so wished to. Can I ask, how the hell this is possible without an equivalent to the mass relays? It might seem like tedious nitpicking but the mass relays were a pretty damn important piece of lore for the series, essentially being the entire reason all the races could meet up and the basic bedrock for exploring the Milky Way was due to having access to these ancient devices, and they also helped to give Mass Effect it's more grounded feel in the world by having at least some science to the space magic.

But now in Andromeda everyone can fly around the galaxy willy nilly in the Tempest? Ryder and co. can just warp to any system they like without turning into geriatrics in space? The only two things I can imagine are that there was some new technology created (Which, depending on the execution, would be a lazy ass cop out), or Bioware just decided to brush that off for the sake of a new game in a new galaxy. I can't imagine they they just forgot how something as basic as travel worked in their own games.

You don't travel through the entire Andromeda galaxy, just the Helius cluster.

did you meet peebee already if not go to the monolith nearest landing site

Haven't met Peebee yet.

ironcreed

Banned
I feel like I am playing Mass Effect 1 all over again, but with new characters, a new story, bigger environments and better gameplay. I can see that is what they were going for. I absolutely love it:

character creation system... sucks, which kind of baffles me considering they could have easily just used the one from DAI?

33579348505_82f2a04778_h.jpg

I mean I can't believe how limited the choices are here.

Anyway made a character I like, so I'm just starting up now. Does anyone know how I get access to my Andromeda Initiative website DLC gear and other DLC stuff?

Kyoufu

Ascendant enemies are no fun to fight against. Cheap OHKO move that won't allow you to be revived and a stupid weakpoint that can glitch off the map thus making the mission a failure.

It's a bit confusing the first time, when you press the right stick it will start scrolling the comparison across all your current equipped weapons with every click. You can see which weapon it is currently comparing it to at the bottom where the button prompts are.

Ok that's good to know.

Two more things.

I can't go to a bar yet on Nexus? I looked closely everywhere and think I explored pretty much every nook and cranny. And I bought a really cool armor, how do I equip it though? Not in the customisation closet on Tempest and neither via inventory. I have yet to go to Eos, if that matters.

Dingobloo

Neo Member
I have yet to go to Eos, if that matters.

It does matter,
improving viability of planets, finding arks, and waking people out of cryo all count towards nexus viability which clears up some of the currently blocked off areas in the nexus.

As for armour, you should be able to change it when you load out for missions or at forward stations if nothing else.

How's the performance on Xbone? Thinking of grabbing this after work. Is stability better or worse than PS4?

Pretty decent, overall. Some framedrops here and there (usually when driving and whipping the camera about really quickly) but nothing game breaking. Occasionally, in multiplayer it'll freeze for 2 seconds in the middle of a match then be fine- not sure if that's a Xbox thing or a network thing though. Those are the more glaring performance things I can think of off the top of my head.

How the hell do you play multiplayer with friends? I'm creating a public lobby and inviting my friend but it isn't matching anyone else in our game.
Been running into that as well. Sometimes it'll matchmake with randoms, sometimes not. A bit weird, because if I join a quick match I'm instantly put with 3 people.

You don't travel through the entire Andromeda galaxy, just the Helius cluster.

Ahh. That's really relieving to hear actually.

It's been a while since playing the games, I don't remember if mass relays played a part in travelling throughout clusters or if they were per planetary system.

UncleMeat

Ha! That Pyjak email; deluxe edition justified.

"...simple:no food after 2359, no baths...." Basically they're space Gremlins.

It does matter,
improving viability of planets, finding arks, and waking people out of cryo all count towards nexus viability which clears up some of the currently blocked off areas in the nexus.

As for armour, you should be able to change it when you load out for missions or at forward stations if nothing else.

Ok that first one sounds really cool. I like that. I'm calling it quits for today.

So far going into this game with low expectations seems to have paid off, really quite enjoying it so far. It really does feel like Mass Effect to me and I really love the idea of exploring uncharted worlds and its a scenario games don't really dive into ever.

Got a small dent in the single player and starting to really get into the multiplayer. Just can they please make the matches ten waves. 7 just feels like not enough.

Also here's to hoping they go crazy with the dlc characters like in 3. Also find a dumb way to have the geth in multiplayer as well please.

So disappointed, local UPS fucked up and I didn't receive my copy today. The irony of course is that I was at Best Buy returning some shit earlier in the day. If I had known I would have just purchased a copy and returned the other when it arrived. Gotta love it.

denx

So at the first monolith, I scanned the two glyphs but the console still does nothing. I saw a walkthrough in YouTube and the console should had activated the monolith. Which means that the game bugged out. Welp.

Xumbrega

Banned
By the way are you guys enjoying adept biotic build? I think I will try Vanguard, I feel weak with the biotic powers (I'm level 8 btw) so you guys know some fun builds at all?

Ric Flair

Banned
Can anyone connect to multiplayer on PC?
Yeah, you just have to get kind of lucky with the host of the match (it's fuckin P2P in 2017) or host it yourself. Speaking of multiplayer, I'm LOVING the jetpack turian you can unlock. Using the burst alien rifle and a scoped pistol, just jetpacking around fucking dudes up with my rockets and burstfire rifle attacks

Do you find out what happened in the Milky Way at all in the game?

I thought the whole point moving the game to another galaxy was to avoid answering the fate of the Milky Way. Would be counterintuitive for the game to answer that, but who knows, maybe the developers might've snuck in an easter egg or two.

By the way are you guys enjoying adept biotic build? I think I will try Vanguard, I feel weak with the biotic powers (I'm level 8 btw) so you guys know some fun builds at all?

I went with my tried and true Adept build.

Pull
Singularity
Throw

Those who don't get thrown into the sky or get trapped in the vortex are ripe for picking off from mid-range. It's how I have the most fun with the campaign combat, anyway.

I thought the whole point moving the game to another galaxy was to avoid answering the fate of the Milky Way. Would be counterintuitive for the game to answer that, but who knows, maybe the developers might've snuck in an easter egg or two.
You'd think 600 year later they'd have the tech to beat the ADI to Andromeda.

Top Bottom