• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

valkyre

Actually not true at all. Go into threads for Zelda or Horizon or Nier or Nioh or Yakuza or Gravity Rush and you'll see.

Well give it some time and you will eventually see how Gaf will hate on those too...

Dont forget Gaf initially loved MGS4 and even loved DA:I among many others. Now a large portion of Gaf considers these games trash and you feel like some people hate them so damn much that actually feel insulted just knowing that these games exist somewhere out there.

Yes its that bad.

z4chc3na

Absolutely not.

We hate shit games. We love great games.

Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Nioh, Yakuza 0, Zelda, DOOM, all were basically universally praised for good reason.

I remember entire threads dedicated to shitting all over the gameplay for W3 and how it wasn't worth playing because of it.

I think it's a good game, the main story lacks any urgency seen in previous 3 games but I don't mind that as at the core of it is something decent. As for side stuff there's a lot of interaction and I love the way your shipmates move around the ship doing their own thing and having their own conversations, and when you are in a hub they'll be in different locations in places where you would expect them like a historian would be in a museum, Liam who likes to drink will be at the bar, sometimes they'll be alone sometimes with other crew members.

That was one of the great additions from Mass Effect 3 that never got the attention it deserved. I loved how it helped make the characters feel like they had genuine relationships with each other. I was disappointed that they didn't carry that forward for Inquisition.

So how bad is the quest design?

It sounds pretty bad.

DA:I level bad?

Unlike DA:I you will get a lot of commentary from your party on quest progress and there are genuine NPCs to meet and talk to in the game world.

>side quest to put dying brother's pendent on Eos.
>find spot and place pendent by holding Y
>no pendent model shown on ground when done

giphy.gif

Are you serious? Thanks for the spoiler bro...

Like really - sure you find the quest shit but you have to spoil that. It hasn't been released yet here and i walk into that..

BizzyBum

Like really - sure you find the quest shit but you have to spoil that. It hasn't been released yet here and i walk into that..

Could've used a spoiler tag...

Believe me, it's nothing serious. If it was remotely interesting I would have tagged it.

edit: I may have worded it weird. It's not your dying brother, just some random NPC with no story involved. It's an early game throwaway sidequest.

Got my game! Excited but also unsure if I should play this first or work on my backlog. Plus I already know I'm going to spend forever on the character creation.

Also, I loved Dragon Age Inquisition and MGS4. There. Sue me.

Trickster

It's a sidequest not related to who you seem to think it is

It's an extremely minor thing

Madness

Personally I wouldn't bother at all with the quick start Sarah Ryder. While not constantly, her facial expressions are still weird as hell at times and it's not worth it in my opinion. Make your own Ryder and you'll see it doesn't look nearly as off.

You miss out though. The fact they have the names Scott and Sara be used. I always default the first playthrough. If I was the model for Sara though, I would really hate how poor of a job BioWare did in capturing what she looks like.

MAtgS

1st mission spoilers:
why couldn't me & Papa Ryder have just traded the helmet every minute or 2 to keep us both from suffocating?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just started this. Doesn't look, sound or feel like a mass effect game. Bush league animations and dialog. So sad, this was among my favorite game series.

Believe me, it's nothing serious. If it was remotely interesting I would have tagged it.

edit: I may have worded it weird. It's not your dying brother, just some random NPC with no story involved. It's an early game throwaway sidequest.

Just as a heads up that isn't really what it might sound like. Don't worry about it.

It's a meaningless side task, nothing connected to the main characters or story.

It's a sidequest not related to who you seem to think it is

It's an extremely minor thing

Ok cheers - obviously worded a little weird and is not a literal meaning then. Thanks for clarifying.

Yopis

Just started this. Doesn't look, sound or feel like a mass effect game. Bush league animations and dialog. So sad, this was among my favorite game series.

Was about to post this.

2 hours in and it's a joke. Loved this series. Will give this a chance.Feels like a budget 360 game.

Mifune

Mehmber

People here are saying it gets better but I found the opposite. I went from ambivalent to kinda liking it to not liking it. Still waiting for that second boost.

1st mission spoilers:
why couldn't me & Papa Ryder have just traded the helmet every minute or 2 to keep us both from suffocating?

I thought the same thing at first but
wasn't there some toxic shit on the planet as well? I assumed that's why Ryder almost died even though his dad put the helmet on him.
I could be totally wrong though because it's pretty vague.

jtb

Banned
That had the potential to be a really interesting plot point ME2 and even 3, but it was barely brought up as a story point in either of those games.

Well, Shepard is basically Space Jesus.

So, when he dies, Shepard becomes literal Space Jesus. like, it's literally called the Lazarus project.

(I despise the opening of ME2 with the burning fire of a thousand suns. Such insulting bullshit.)

1st mission spoilers:
You're
badly wounded and disoriented by that point, and Alec isn't in great shape either. Doubtful that 1-2 minutes of oxygen and then back to the unbreathable air would've kept you alive.

CLBridges

Had to take a break from MP before it consumes me lol. The combat and movement is much more fluid in Andromeda. This game will definitely carry me on through to FFXIV Stormblood then Destiny 2. Gonna be a great year for gamers imo.

On another note, think I'm gonna switch over to a biotic build for my first story playthrough. Seems with the emphasis on the jetpack and quick, snappy movements, biotics were given demigod status.

Eh seeing a lot of hate but I'm still excited to jump in and see for myself.

Reviews are certainly lower than other games in the series, and lower than expected, but luckily reviews aren't always right to me (for example how the HELL did MGSV get such high scores) so who knows? Maybe I'll love it.

MAtgS

I thought the same thing at first but
wasn't there some toxic shit on the planet as well? I assumed that's why Ryder almost died even though his dad put the helmet on him.
I could be totally wrong though because it's pretty vague.

They said it was the transfer of SAM that caused the near death

Ryzaki009

1st mission spoilers:

Because the PC was about to die after half a minute. Doing that only increases the chance of both of them dying.

Dingobloo

Neo Member
That's some mid 2000's MMO quest design right there.

If that was in the Witcher 3 not only would the pendant appear but if you visited it a few hours later the brothers ghost would appear, have some unique dialogue and maybe another side quest.

The quest "Witcher Wannabe" has you
get word of a fake Witcher with a wolf pendant in a village. You confront him when he gets in over his head fighting a ghoul and you can make him work off his debt and bury his medallion in the ground, but it doesn't appear, and you can't recover it.

There's at least dialogue and a choice in that side quest, but all RPGs take shortcuts.

Guess what guys, Gibbed is working on an MEA save editor:
https://twitter.com/gibbed/status/844340336151465984
In the save file I've been working with, I can now parse 99% of the file. Now for data analysis. 🤗 #MassEffectAndromeda

In case you never used his save editors, they not only let you set plot flags, but they allowed you to alter the amounts of resources you had, give your characters NPC hair, and even give characters weapons they couldn't have ordinarily.

owlbeak

In addition, performance of this game, at least on the first planetary section post-ark, is absolutely abysmal on PS4 Pro. Juddering, stuttering, low FPS all over the place. Pretty shocking, to be honest.

I've enjoyed the first couple hours I have played so far, but performance is just straight up shit, and the human faces and facial animations are damn near bottom of the barrel.

I find the Research and Development a bit confusing. I mean it's clear I can't research a whole lot yet. But I can start development on a certain assault rifle for example. Before I do I want to compare it to what I currently have equipped. I press the right stick to compare but..... i dont see the comparison?

Setmeni

In addition, performance of this game, at least on the first planetary section post-ark, is absolutely abysmal on PS4 Pro. Juddering, stuttering, low FPS all over the place. Pretty shocking, to be honest.

I've enjoyed the first couple hours I have played so far, but performance is just straight up shit, and the human faces and facial animations are damn near bottom of the barrel.

That's better than the PS4 at least, I've enjoyed my time with the game so far but the planet I'm on now is just constant crashes. Besides the bugs, animation, and the fact a lot of the quests feel like DA:I crap...the game has fun combat and the exploration is super fun as well.

Top Bottom