• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
One of the most annoying aspects of the game are the pain yelps that occur every time you land using a jetpack or fall more that 3 feet.

Using Fem Ryder it sounds like she has been stabbed in the stomach every time she walks over a rock. It's incredibly annoying and ridiculous.

Add to that your team makes the same pain yelps, it sounds like there is a constant knife brawl being fought out every time you traverse uneven terrain.

I feel like I wasted mission funds in the Apex app recruiting a fourth team. Since yesterday, there are never enough strikes for all four teams to be active at once.

I was getting pretty bountiful rewards each night when i was getting home though, so i suppose they have to balance it so you aren't swimming in resources/credits if you're playing on the app a bunch.

One of the most annoying aspects of the game are the pain yelps that occur every time you land using a jetpack or fall more that 3 feet.

Using Fem Ryder it sounds like she has been stabbed in the stomach every time she walks over a rock. It's incredibly annoying and ridiculous.

Add to that your team makes the same pain yelps, it sounds like there is a constant knife brawl being fought out every time you traverse uneven terrain.

Agreed. Every time Drack does it, i turn around because I think we're getting shot at from somewhere. Kind of annoying.

I had fun time doing the Kett base
on Voeld
, until I decided to backtrack a bit to loot, and apparently I hit a trigger that just refilled the entire base with enemies I just killed. Like 7 waves of enemies...on insanity. It's insane how bad the autosave system is and how unpolished the game is with shit like this happening all the time. I feel like I have to manually save all the time, except half the time the game won't let me because of reasons. On insanity it really does make me insane.

Mossybrew

Yeah I've noticed this and it is rather annoying.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
on Voeld
, until I decided to backtrack a bit to loot, and apparently I hit a trigger that just refilled the entire base with enemies I just killed. Like 7 waves of enemies...on insanity. It's insane how bad the autosave system is and how unpolished the game is with shit like this happening all the time. I feel like I have to manually save all the time, except half the time the game won't let me because of reasons. On insanity it really does make me insane.

Same thing happened to me on the Eos base. Multiple 'sub-objectives' not triggering, enemies suddenly re-appearing if you backtrack after clearing them all out, etc...

on Voeld

I noticed something similar for the first time, on the same planet last night. As i was driving around to the smaller Kett bases, if you're on flat enough land and can see far enough, you can literally see the enemies fall from the sky into the base as the engine generates everything in front of you.

It's not like it's constant, but definitely adds to the "unpolished" feeling you're referring to.

Lol yeah I've noticed this too. Plus with the sometimes-weird AI pathfinding, teammates use the jumpjets when they have no reason too. All I can hear behind me is Cora and Jaal shooting off their jets randomly and then Ah! Ugh! Oh! Ah!

This seems like a prime candidate for an "easy" improvement that could be included in a patch.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a known bug in the "better crafting" quest?

I'm on the early planet
Havari, and I'm at the waypoint for the ingredient. It shows up on my scanner as a small protrusion coming out of a rock, but I can't actually scan it or interact with it. Anyone have this problem?

X-Frame

Seeing posts about how augmenting weapons can turn them worthless is not making me want to experiment too much, which is unfortunate.

It seems like I'll want to at least use the Vintage Heat Sink, especially on slow firing weapons like a Dhan Shotgun or Widow.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Most stunning moment in the game so far, from not too far into the game:

When you clear the vault on Voeld and come outside from underground........... -jawdrop-

I don't even want to mention what you see in the same spoiler to let people experience it for themselves for the first time, but it's stunning.

what the fuck is up wirh the lighting int his game? Playing on xbox one and its like every character is smudged one colour, its gross.

Darker areas like Voeld look pretty good, but any brighter area, like the Nexus, can look pretty terrible. It's like a lot of the lighting is just completely flat. It makes everything look washed out and highlights the poor character models even more.

mcz117chief

Is it explained why there are no other humans/council races out there in Andromeda? I am just a couple of hours in but so far it seems that refuse ending from Mass Effect 3 is canon.

mcz117chief

Not really sure what you are asking, but the journey to Andromeda started before ME3.

Yeah, I know that. I'm just asking if it is explained further as you go why there are no other humans, salarians, turians, etc. in Andromeda. The only logical explanation is that they are all dead and Reapers cleaned up the Milky Way galaxy.

Darker areas like Voeld look pretty good, but any brighter area, like the Nexus, can look pretty terrible. It's like a lot of the lighting is just completely flat. It makes everything look washed out and highlights the poor character models even more.

im playing on a ks9000, ive messed with the colours just for this game to get it somewhere that looks nice. Be interesting to see a digital foundry comparison, some of the screenshots ive seen make the game look awesome. Roll on scorpio....

mcz117chief

Then why do you think that the "refuse" ending is canon? The ME3 endings have nothing to do with this game at all.

Because I find it weird that they arrived in Andromeda first, that nobody overtook them. They were travelling for 600 years, if any other ending besides refusal would be canon then there would already be hundreds of colonies waiting for the Andromeda initiative when they arrived. In control and especially in Synthesis ending the galaxy's technology level jumped by a massive amount so obviously the would be like "hey, you know those Andromeda guys? We should catch up with them and bring them the news and more advanced tech."

Van Bur3n

What are the best perks to invest your cryo pods in?

I went with the one that gives research points, and then plan on getting the one that grants bonus research points with every scan.

Feel it might be wise to maximize on it early on to prepare for crafting the good stuff later on down the line.

parabolee

Really? Guess I'll just go PC :/

I wish someone would post a framerate/tech comparison incl PS4 Pro.

I have played both and I STRONGLY suggest you get the PC version if you have a decent PC.

PS4 Pro version looks great outside the DOF issues. Although it has a weird edge shimmer thing going on too.

The framerate is not that bad on PS4 Pro in my experience, HOWEVER there are THREE HUGE issues that are in both versions that the PS4 Pro version can not mitigate!

First there is a weird camera control stutter whenever you move the camera after moving you Ryder. See here -

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Report...-feel-choppy-Effects-ALL/m-p/5949158#U5949158

It causes the game to feel stuttery in combat even when the frame rate is rock solid. Running at 60fps on PC, this is not as bothersome. On PS4 Pro it is horrible.

Second there is WAY too much input lag from controllers in this game. About 400ms from reports I have seen. Again running at 60fps improves this issue a lot (while not fixing it). And I would also say the PC version seems to have less input lag too.

And third, there is a very large dead zone in this game for some reason. Combined with input lag and the stutter issue and the superb combat is really compromised. On PC this can be easily fixed (launch game through Steam and use the controller mapping feature to remove dead zone), this makes a big difference. You can also use Steam to add motion control aiming when using iron sights to fix the input lag issue more.

See here on the last 2 issues -

http://answers.ea.com/t5/forums/edi...fect-andromeda-bug-reports-en/message-id/1991

Elaaden is definitely my favourite planet. Feels unique but at the same time reminds me a lot of tatooine. Been having a blast just traversing the dunes and visiting the little hidden outposts.

The vault on the other hand almost melted my brain, I'm too dumb for puzzles.

Hey guys I got a lot of positive feedback about my Ryder, so here's their link if anyone wants to use him, along with some pics of my MRyder in action:

https://masseffectarchives.com/#user/2300736247/playthrough/1414096845/gender/male

http://imgur.com/a/p6Cbz

Swagger on!

vudus7q.jpg

nOoblet16

Is it explained why there are no other humans/council races out there in Andromeda? I am just a couple of hours in but so far it seems that refuse ending from Mass Effect 3 is canon.

It's cause the other races don't have as much influence or resources to have an entire ark of their own or were invited because they brought about something beneficial to the initiative (like Korgan being the muscles). The Quarian ark was suppose to bring other species like Drell with them but it ran into trouble arising from different requirement for different species which is why it left a little while later. Non Citadel species wouldn't have made it obviously.

aliengmr

It seems that only the Humans, Asari, Turians, Salarians, and Krogan were the only species to join the Initiative.

The Elcor and Hanar would have required a lot of non-standard tech and may have not wanted to join. Same for the Volus.

Non-citadel species wouldn't have been invited and/or wouldn't have joined.

nOoblet16

what the fuck is up with the lighting in this game? Playing on xbox one and its like every character is smudged one colour, its gross.

Most likely you two need to fix your calibration.
The lighting is perfectly fine and Nexus in particular looks very nice with it's bright but soft lighting.

Because I find it weird that they arrived in Andromeda first, that nobody overtook them. They were travelling for 600 years, if any other ending besides refusal would be canon then there would already be hundreds of colonies waiting for the Andromeda initiative when they arrived. In control and especially in Synthesis ending the galaxy's technology level jumped by a massive amount so obviously the would be like "hey, you know those Andromeda guys? We should catch up with them and bring them the news and more advanced tech."

I guess I see what you're saying. I think you just can't really think too hard about technological incongruities with this game. I mean, they basically had to invent a magic engine that disregards the whole concept of dumping drive cores to explain how they made the trip in the first place. There is also the bizarre explanation for how they were even able to make long range scans of Andromeda planets too.

On an unrelated note, SAM is becoming seriously annoying on Voeld. I don't need to be told every five seconds that the temperature is dropping or that life support is back to normal.

nOoblet16

Yep..that makes sense actually.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I guess I see what you're saying. I think you just can't really think too hard about technological incongruities with this game. I mean, they basically had to invent a magic engine that disregards the whole concept of dumping drive cores to explain how they made the trip in the first place. There is also the bizarre explanation for how they were even able to make long range scans of Andromeda planets too.

On an unrelated note, SAM is becoming seriously annoying on Voeld. I don't need to be told every five seconds that the temperature is dropping or that life support is back to normal.

yeaaaaaah that got really dumb really quick

mcz117chief

Yeah, the story is kind of all over the place with explanations. Refusal ending would make it kind of work though. Those long range scans had me "lol" that's for sure.

You see, there is a game called "Freelancer" which is basically identical to Mass Effect Andromeda in it's basic premise. The reason though why nobody ever caught up with the Ark ships in Freelancer is because very soon after their departure the Solar System was attacked by aliens who detonated the Sun and wiped out all humanity. Now only the Ark ships bear the last surviving humans and you fight the aliens in Sirius sector.

You can see the intro here. To avoid spoilers this wasn't the actual intro, the actual intro is cut so that it doesn't show the aliens to make them a surprise during the course of the campaign, but the full intro exists and explains why nobody caught up with the Ark ships.

Most stunning moment in the game so far, from not too far into the game:

When you clear the vault on Voeld and come outside from underground........... -jawdrop-

I don't even want to mention what you see in the same spoiler to let people experience it for themselves for the first time, but it's stunning.
Voeld has been my favorite planet so far. It's the most enjoyable to navigate. The moment you mentioned was indeed nice.

I really dislike profiles as I feel it replaced the squad power wheel. The lack of squad customization is disappointing in general. No alternative outfits, or weapon management.

Doodis

So I went through the vault on Havarl,
and wrapped around the entire circular section at the end, but nothing happened afterward. There is still a stasis field up between the front and back rooms, but there is no other option to do anything else. Did I miss something?

Yo my build is out of hand. Level 33, 720 shields, and I am invincible. Everything I do restores shields. Kill enemy? 50% shields. Melee attack? 25% shields. Biotic charge? 50% shields.

Literally the only thing to kill me in the last 10 hours was when I got grabbed by a fiend and instagibbed.

Charge/Nova/Annihilation is the jams. Shields get boosted to 1000 in combat too hahahah

I'm at the point of shrugging off entire squads of gunfire on Insanity.

That sounds awesome! I always wanted to check the Vanguard profile out.

What skills did you pick for those 3 abilities? I can't decide how I want to evolve them

Tacitus_

So I went through the vault on Havarl,
and wrapped around the entire circular section at the end, but nothing happened afterward. There is still a stasis field up between the front and back rooms, but there is no other option to do anything else. Did I miss something?

Some of the stasis doors only open when you activate the end thing.

Top Bottom