• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

exYle

Yeah, I know that. I'm just asking if it is explained further as you go why there are no other humans, salarians, turians, etc. in Andromeda. The only logical explanation is that they are all dead and Reapers cleaned up the Milky Way galaxy.

How far are you into the game?

Zesh

Does anyone know when the maximum rank that can be researched for default weapons increases? I'm level 50, but I can't develop the rank 7 Predator, for instance, even though I can research and develop rank 7 versions of other equipment.

xealo

I guess I see what you're saying. I think you just can't really think too hard about technological incongruities with this game. I mean, they basically had to invent a magic engine that disregards the whole concept of dumping drive cores to explain how they made the trip in the first place. There is also the bizarre explanation for how they were even able to make long range scans of Andromeda planets too.

On an unrelated note, SAM is becoming seriously annoying on Voeld. I don't need to be told every five seconds that the temperature is dropping or that life support is back to normal.
Imo SAM should only be dropping a verbal warning if you're entering a lvl 2 or 3 hazard zone from a level 1.

Going from inside a building and outside again to hear it every time can indeed get a bit annoying.

bati

Is anyone playing on Insanity? Is it worth it? Fwiw I've finished all ME games on Insanity but thought the incoming damage was a little over the top at times.

Santiako

I'm loving the game so far, but the whole first contact with the angara was very bizarre. Feels like they've known me for a while even though I'm supposedly the first human they've ever seen.

sangreal

Yeah, I know that. I'm just asking if it is explained further as you go why there are no other humans, salarians, turians, etc. in Andromeda. The only logical explanation is that they are all dead and Reapers cleaned up the Milky Way galaxy.

really confused what you are asking. There are no other humans, salarians, tuariens etc. because only 20,000 of each (plus nexus setup crew) joined the initiative which is a private enterprise. It wasn't a mass exodus from the milky way

edit: I see you're trying to reconcile it with ME3 but don't bother. ME3 is completely written out of the story. I see what you mean -- if ME3 is included than technological advances should've allowed earlier exploration of andromeda. but really, it just isn't part of the story anymore

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Keep playing...

How far are you into the game?

Because I find it weird that they arrived in Andromeda first, that nobody overtook them. They were travelling for 600 years, if any other ending besides refusal would be canon then there would already be hundreds of colonies waiting for the Andromeda initiative when they arrived. In control and especially in Synthesis ending the galaxy's technology level jumped by a massive amount so obviously the would be like "hey, you know those Andromeda guys? We should catch up with them and bring them the news and more advanced tech."

Let's just all make sure we're on the same page here. Of course that COULD be explained later in the story as I haven't finished it myself yet, but he's not just asking why there are mostly humans in andromeda. He's asking specifically why, with the advanced in technology gained at the end of the original trilogy, technology that allowed faster travel that would overtake the arks wasnt employed and Andromeda should already be settled by those "faster" travelling species.

Of course there's a variety of possible answers (refuse ending, no motivation post-ME3 for council races to do the undertaking, other events occurring preventing them from doing so, early arrivals all getting killed by whatever, etc) - i'm not sure if the game answers that or not, haven't finished it yet.

Hey guys I got a lot of positive feedback about my Ryder, so here's their link if anyone wants to use him, along with some pics of my MRyder in action:

https://masseffectarchives.com/#user/2300736247/playthrough/1414096845/gender/male

http://imgur.com/a/p6Cbz

Swagger on!

My biggest problem with Andromeda (other than the animations obviously) is that the main character doesn't sound like someone who looks like him. As a black guy it sucks I can't comfortably use a black dude in my favorite game series =/.

Shepard sounded like he could really be any race.

Grisby

Same thing happened to me on the Eos base. Multiple 'sub-objectives' not triggering, enemies suddenly re-appearing if you backtrack after clearing them all out, etc...
This just happend to me, lol. Game is easily one of the buggiest titles I've played this year.

Last night I had a bug where I couldn't pick up any loot. The button would do the little circle thing but nothing would happen.

On top of that my map was completely black and every time I went to quit the game to try and reload from the main menu it wouldn't register. It just unpaused the game.

Kind of worried that I've probably glitched some loyalty quest/companion deal since I've been doing things so out of order.

My biggest problem with Andromeda (other than the animations obviously) is that the main character doesn't sound like someone who looks like him. As a black guy it sucks I can't comfortably use a black dude in my favorite game series =/.

At first I felt that way, but I dunno, it kinda works after awhile. He kind of feels like Donald Glover in a lot of ways.

mcz117chief

Let's just all make sure we're on the same page here. Of course that COULD be explained later in the story as I haven't finished it myself yet, but he's not just asking why there are mostly humans in andromeda. He's asking specifically why, with the advanced in technology gained at the end of the original trilogy, technology that allowed faster travel that would overtake the arks wasnt employed and Andromeda should already be settled by those "faster" travelling species.

Of course there's a variety of possible answers (refuse ending, no motivation post-ME3 for council races to do the undertaking, other events occurring preventing them from doing so, early arrivals all getting killed by whatever, etc) - i'm not sure if the game answers that or not, haven't finished it yet.

It feels weird that the Milky Way races would completely abandon the entire idea of colonising the Andromeda galaxy and just leave the Andromeda Initiative alone. The best possible explanation is that there is nobody left who knows about the initiative.

caesar

Banned
Yeah, it definitely would be awkward if they ever made contact back with the milky way again. 'Hey guys, well these reaper guys came around just after you left and...'

I'm guessing they will want to avoid that altogether.

arimanius

Just went through this whole thread and damn I'm still on the fence for this. I'm going to buy a new game for the weekend and haven't decided between this or Horizons.

Santiako

It feels weird that the Milky Way races would completely abandon the entire idea of colonising the Andromeda galaxy and just leave the Andromeda Initiative alone. The best possible explanation is that there is nobody left who knows about the initiative.

Or that they're rebuilding after being decimated by giant robot squids.

mcz117chief

Or that they're rebuilding after being decimated by giant robot squids.

For 600 years? The war of Mass Effect 3 was within a span of months at most with vast majority of the galaxy being completely intact. Especially during Synthesis ending the entire galaxy would be fixed very quickly and then all efforts would be made to help the Andromeda Initiative who were outside of the melding energy.

hbkdx12

The game really just caught my interest Story Spoilers...
Just fought the cardinal and found out the Khett are kidnapping angarans to transform them into Khett. Had to make the decision to save the angarans or destroy the facility. I saved the angarans

First decision in the game that felt like a tough, meaningful one.

Jezehbell

Does anybody knows how to "cancel" a romance ?

I started a romance with Reyes (tought it would be fun) but i want Peebee. But everytime, i speak to her, the "heart" sentence is gone :(

Santiako

For 600 years? The war of Mass Effect 3 was within a span of months at most with vast majority of the galaxy being completely intact. Especially during Synthesis ending the entire galaxy would be fixed very quickly and then all efforts would be made to help the Andromeda Initiative who were outside of the melding energy.

The Andromeda Initiative was a private and rather small effort. I could see them visiting the idea in sequels of more arks having been sent after these.

Rellik

Just went through this whole thread and damn I'm still on the fence for this. I'm going to buy a new game for the weekend and haven't decided between this or Horizons.

How big of a Mass Effect fan are you? It's a good game with a rough start but if your not already a ME fan then you can always get Horizon and then come back to this later when some of the bugs have (hopefully) been ironed out.

arimanius

If it helps it's a dope game that gets better the longer you play it.

Actually does. It also has MP that I'm interested in and Horizon doesn't. So I can always wait on Horizons I'm thinking.

How big of a Mass Effect fan are you? It's a good game with a rough start but if your not already a ME fan then you can always get Horizon and then come back to this later when some of the bugs have (hopefully) been ironed out.

I've played all of the Mass Effects and enjoyed the combat but couldn't tell you the story of any of them.

sangreal

Just fought the cardinal and found out the Khett are kidnapping angarans to transform them into Khett. Had to make the decision to save the angarans or destroy the facility. I saved the angarans

Yeah, that one was hard for me. I've actually faced a number of decisions I had a hard time with so I am surprised at that complaint about the game. Even if they don't amount to anything in this game, it has always been about the sequels in ME

nOoblet16

This only means you are still stuck in like chapter 1 of the game.

mcz117chief

The Andromeda Initiative was a private and rather small effort. I could see them visiting the idea in sequels of more arks having been sent after these.

The game's codex definitely makes it a big deal. Getting AI on board, building massive Ark ships and the Nexus which is almost the size of the Citadel is not a drop in the ocean.

This only means you are still stuck in like chapter 1 of the game.

Exploring Eos so I guess I am.

Vengal

my god I had a moment when I finished the trial where I said out loud I hope this isn't star trek beyond... So I guess it is

I love the multiplayer so much but I'm only getting credit/xp for around half my matches. Will get booted to the main menu and not get my rewards post-match. ME3MP had problems but at least you would always get credit as long as you extracted.

This is breaking my heart, man. Was really looking forward to this. :(

Gotta agree with this. Even though I can change his appearance, it's really hard to get past the "millennial Nathan Drake" aspect to Male Ryder. There's just a tone to his voice (and to how his dialogue is written), that just stops me from suspending disbelief and breaks the role play. It was never a problem with Shepard.

Maledict

By no means could it be described as small. They invented numerous new technologies to do it (including some which weren't in use years later in the Mass effect games). They built a miniture, portable Citedal, *plus* four arkships. They put 100,000 people into stasis for 600 years, from numerous different species.

Nothing, *nothing* about Andromeda is small. It makes the crucible effort look weak. It's one of the things that's silly about the premise - not only is it well beyond the ability of established Mass Effect technology, but it also requires a level of resourcing that is incalculable compared to everything else we've seen in Mass Effect.

We have to ignore the logistics of it because its understandably the only way to leave the mess of Me3 behind, but this isn't anything small - it's the single largest thing Citedal space has ever done.

For awhile there it was cracking me up that I ended every conversation by jetpacking my head into the ceiling. That moment has kind of passed now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I just found a Turian with a head without texture.

Best part is... it's a male Turian model with a female voice.

qWHQUmt.jpg

nOoblet16

The game's codex definitely makes it a big deal. Getting AI on board, building massive Ark ships and the Nexus which is almost the size of the Citadel is not a drop in the ocean.

Exploring Eos so I guess I am.
The Nexus is like a quarter or even less than that in surface area of Citadel and the Ark ships are smaller or about the same size as Destiny Ascension..which is a warship.

Also keep in mind millions live in Citadel, and the total population of Citadel species is like several hundred billion. Out of all those the Initiative only sent like 100,000 people.

nOoblet16

Gotta agree with this. Even though I can change his appearance, it's really hard to get past the "millennial Nathan Drake" aspect to Male Ryder. There's just a tone to his voice (and to how his dialogue is written), that just stops me from suspending disbelief and breaks the role play. It was never a problem with Shepard.

That's cause Shepard was much more of a blank slate than Ryder, he/she wasn't very expressive or had opinions about anything. You'd also never see him/her speak participate in squad banter unlike Ryder.

We have to ignore the logistics of it because its understandably the only way to leave the mess of Me3 behind, but this isn't anything small - it's the single largest thing Citedal space has ever done.

Yeah, this is really the crux of it. Is the Andromeda Initiative an elegant solution that fits neatly into existing ME lore? No, no it is not.

But if we wanted a new Mass Effect game to exist, and prequels and picking a canon ME3 ending are off the table, it's probably the best we were ever going to get.

Ascenion

Noticed something else I don't like. There are no weight bonuses past 100%. What the fuck? I want my Assualt rifle/pistol powers combo. All these steps backwards...

As a fellow black man I have to disagree. I speak exactly like Ryder. Maybe it's because I'm 24 and Ryder is around my age and seems to be part of my generational cohort. I can totally see my self telling someone I'm gonna fuck their shit up.

Staf

Just curious, am i alone in completely ignoring changing profiles? I'm playing an engineer and don't really feel the need to change it.

JMY86

I am still loving this game wrecking fools wih my Sentinel. I just started exploring
Elaaden
and I keep getting amazed at how fucking good this game looks on PC. HDR is the truth...

Just curious, am i alone in completely ignoring changing profiles? I'm playing an engineer and don't really feel the need to change it.

I just started mixing in some Tech skills after running most of the game all Biotics you can easily specialize in one skill branch if you want.

Yeah, this is really the crux of it. Is the Andromeda Initiative an elegant solution that fits neatly into existing ME lore? No, no it is not.

But if we wanted a new Mass Effect game to exist, and prequels and picking a canon ME3 ending are off the table, it's probably the best we were ever going to get.

I think the part that bugs me, is that we pulled tens of thousands of useful, dangerous, highly trained people that could have been used to fight the Reapers. Hell, you even have
an ex-Spectre that you run into. Not the mention Zaeed's son.

Ah well. I still like the setting. It's better than trying to play a game during the Contact Wars with the Turians. Or playing the Skylian Blitz or some such thing. The originally trilogy worked because you were a Spectre, which meant you could pretty much do whatever the hell you wanted. It gave you freedom in a galaxy that had tons of rules and red tape that would have shut you down otherwise. Same with Andromeda, you're free to do what you want, since you're the force of change.

Welp

Fucked up by building a disciple shotgun with plasma bolt aug and now when I fire it and the plasma explodes, the particle effects take the framerate to the single digits.

Guess that one's goin in the garbage

OmegaDL50

Is Andromeda disconnected from the previous trilogy in the sense that if I played Andromeda first and play the original games later I won't completely lost in terms of plotline.

This is a stand alone sequel correct? There isn't anything from the previous games that is essential to know is there?

Edit: I also want to wreck enemies like I'm a Jedi master with telekinetic lifts and throws. So what would be the best path to take to achieve this?

--R

Banned
That secondary on Eos of installing survey hammers...

That battle with the Architect was awesome. I wasn't expecting that when I started the mission. I mined water instead of natural gas, are there any consequences for choosing that?

Is Andromeda disconnected from the previous trilogy in the sense that if I played Andromeda first and play the original games later I won't completely lost in terms of plotline.

This is a stand alone sequel correct? There isn't anything from the previous games that is essential to know is there?

Edit: I also want to wreck enemies like I'm a Jedi master with telekinetic lifts and throws. So what would be the best path to take to achieve this?

Pull and Warp are the equivalent of lift and throw and are super fun.

And it is a standalone sequel. There are many references to the old trilogy but they are simply throwaway and have no impact on the plots.

Just traded this in to amazon for $36. Hate to lose the money but it was the Nomad that did it. Trying to creep up a hill at 10km/hour just absolutely SUCKS. Bye game.

Ascenion

Andromeda is Standalone yeah. You don't need knowledge of the Trilogy, though it would make the experience all the better. If you wanna be a Jedi I'd stick to Adept, Vanguard or Explorer profiles while spending most of my points in Biotics.

Adept is the profile for you. Invest heavily in biotics skills and you can basically be a jedi master. Just remember that you biotics aren't effective against shielded targets (you have to bring down their shields first with guns or power combos).

Top Bottom