• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Somehow died whilst in a conversation wheel with someone, game didn't register the death, allowed me to lay on the floor and do everything but move.

Reload game, stuck on loading, even though the bar is full up.
Man, this fucking game is just one big technical fuck up.

nOoblet16

I thought there's a priority op and it literally says go to there or whatever the name of the other planet is
It's a choice to go to either but you have to eventually go to both places and you can only settle at one...You'll find out why later.

A lot of the time it is only mentioned in the description and not listed as a penalty
I just reread the description, said nothing about lower damage, lower clip size or lower spare ammo size...absolutely nothing. I also don't understand why my 637 damage sniper rifle was taking 3 shots to kill an unarmoured low Kett soldier.

Lister

Banned
Every big galaxy has a supermassive black hole at its centre, hundreds of times more massive than what the Heleus cluster might have.

Again a black hole is just a bigger gravity well, there's nothing about settling in a cluster with a black hole at its centre is more scary than living in a planet that revolves around a constantly burning ball of gas. The environment, stars and planets around the black hole have already adapted to its existence, so it's not going to do anything suddenly that destroys everything.

If anything it would be a kick ass feature of the night sky seeing the gravitational lensing around it.

It's a choice to go to either but you have to eventually go to both places and you can only settle at one...You'll find out why later.

I just reread the description, said nothing about lower damage, lower clip size or lower spare ammo size...absolutely nothing. I also don't understand why my 637 damage sniper rifle was taking 3 shots to kill an unarmoured low Kett soldier.

Must be a bug then

Lister

Banned

Maybe you're suffering from my bullet drop issue too!

TheRed

Just tried multiplayer for the first time and also played as vanguard for the first time. It seems like a lot of fun. Just sucks that it's gonna be annoying with it being a crapshoot to have a good connection...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

TBH I've noticed this with my Crusader shotgun as well.

It has a 300 or so damage rating (which is roughly equal to my carnifex pistol), but even when I'm near point blank, the shotgun still seems to take 1-2 more hits to kill an equal 'level' enemy while the pistol can kill at much farther range. The 'spread' of the shotgun seems ridiculously huge.

Meanwhile the Valkyrie (or w/e the double-tap one is) Assault Rifle I have kills things in half a clip compared to the 3-4 full clip of a shotgun.

Shouta

I'm not understanding the crafting system. Take this for example, the Black Widow sniper rifle is suppose to have 3 bullets in its clip and about 637 damage:

1) I developed a Black Widow with a laser aug and 2 augs for bonus damage against shields and armour. The stats told me I got 3 clips and 637 damage, but the gun turned out so weak that I couldn't even kill an unarmoured/unshielded Kett soldier with a headshot. It took 3 full bullets, despite the fact that 637 is more than enough to kill a Kett soldier without armour.

2) I develop the same exact gun but without the laser aug, I end up with a Black Widow with not only 1 bullet in the clip instead of the advertised 3, but ONE Max ammo...ONE !!

Wtf? If there are drawbacks to using augs or something else then it's not clearly conveyed here.

Are you talking about the Beam Emitter aug? That one isn't a great one because you need to have more ammo and it needs to stay on the target to deal damage, I think. If I understand it properly, the beam emitter makes the damage the rate at which the damage is applied while the ammo is the duration of the beam so sniper rifles aren't a good choice for them.

second case might be a bug?

Anyone else gets lockups when trying to exit the game? It annoys the hell out of me. I Task Manager out of the game these days. And I understand why people like Jaal now, lol.

nOoblet16

Are you talking about the Beam Emitter aug? That one isn't a great one because you need to have more ammo and it needs to stay on the target to deal damage, I think. If I understand it properly, the beam emitter makes the damage the rate at which the damage is applied while the ammo is the duration of the beam so sniper rifles aren't a good choice for them.

Yea this is it ! And I thought this was the reason for low damage as well, what I don't understand is why didn't the aug modify itself to fit around the sniper rifle? It's already modifying itself by not letting you fire a constant beam when you put it on a sniper...so just make it so that it changes the effect when applied on a sniper..like how the explosive mod modifies itself depending on whether you use it on a shotgun or something else.

Sioul

So apparently I missed a glyph puzzle in
Eos
. There is no way to return to the
vault/dungeon
, right?

So are there any worthwhile augs for sniper rifles? It seems like plasma seekers would take away the precision of headshots.

Maybe explosive?

Either rushed development or they didn't order enough tracks from Joe

I think it was probably intentional, actually. DA:I also had these large zones with barely any exploration music playing, ever. As for why Bioware thinks this is a good idea, who knows?

I find most of this game's music to just be forgettable anyway. Like it's not bad, it's just kind of bland (like the writing).

Please bring back Sam Hulick

BouncyFrag

In a big ass vault and this game needs more checkpoint saves. The save trick of switching to different quests in the journal isn't working unless I'm doing it wrong.

About 10 hours in and the combat is great. Best of the series by far.

The writing is pretty bad tbh and I'm not really feeling the companions. To be fair though they had a super high bar after Garrus, Mordin, Thane, Samara, Jack, Wrex, Liara, and Tali.

Xevren

You a passive power like Annihilation Field. It damages any enemy that comes within it range, so even when your teammates kill them you still get the assist. I get so many assist badges it is crazy.

With that draining field (think it's what it''s called, shields on kill) rank 6 evolution you start getting support badges like mad too. Annihilation field really brings it in.

This game is also probably the most challenging of the series, along with having the best gameplay. And I am playing on normal.
I totally agree. I haven't mastered the pace and flow of combat, especially the boost dodging, mostly because I've had at most 4-5 hours in two separate sessions with a day in between. I'm using an Indra, a pistol, and a mostly Infiltrator power set to fight, since it lets me keep my distance from opponents.

abundant

I totally agree. I haven't mastered the pace and flow of combat, especially the boost dodging, mostly because I've had at most 4-5 hours in two separate sessions with a day in between. I'm using an Indra, a pistol, and a mostly Infiltrator power set to fight, since it lets me keep my distance from opponents.

I was having some trouble on normal as an Adebt, so I respeced to a Vanguard with Charge + Annihilation + Nova and now I absolutely destroy everything that gets in my way.

Bittercup

Wow, people really weren't exaggerating how much the difference in quality between the sex scenes is.
So far I was flirting with everyone I met that had a flirt option. No idea which one I want to pick in the end.
Just had a cute scene with
Liam, making out on the couch. But apparently that's it! Only some kissing and then fade to black. WTF? Compared to Cora they put almost no effort in Liam's scene.
Pretty disappointing

I was having some trouble on normal as an Adebt, so I respeced to a Vanguard with Charge + Annihilation + Nova and now I absolutely destroy everything that gets in my way.

Between seeing gifs and hearing people ITT talking about destroying everything in the game, i feel like i'm selling myself short playing as infiltrator =(

I sort of want to respec too.

ugh I have a PS4 copy atm but it's unopened and I can't decide whether or not to return it and buy it on PC instead.

Bonuses of PS4 - I have a Pro in the living room and a reg in my bedroom so I could play it in both.

Cons of PS4 - that depth of field during cutscenes is genuinely hideous.

I wish DF would post a comparison including the Pro, I wanna know if it's any better on that.

Can anyone with a pro comment on the depth of field?

I've been playing on hardcore, absolutely dominating with Charge/Pull/Overload/Tech Armor/Piranha, to the point that I think at about 30 hours in I might respec into something completely different. And I have to say, I kind of love that that is a thing you can do in this game.

buenoblue

Playing on ps4 pro and framepacing and framerate seem bad. Really jerky. Game looks like ass after playing ffxv then horizon zero dawn. Think I'm gonna trade it in.

hermit7

How often am I meant to be getting new weapons?

I just finished
the vault
on the first story planet and have one other pistol and an ar.

Liking it thus far but mass effect is one of my top 3 series probably. Playing as a straight adept and the combat is pretty good, not a huge fan of the charge for them, mainly using singularity and such to disable and use combos.

Yo my build is out of hand. Level 33, 720 shields, and I am invincible. Everything I do restores shields. Kill enemy? 50% shields. Melee attack? 25% shields. Biotic charge? 50% shields.

Literally the only thing to kill me in the last 10 hours was when I got grabbed by a fiend and instagibbed.

Charge/Nova/Annihilation is the jams. Shields get boosted to 1000 in combat too hahahah

I'm at the point of shrugging off entire squads of gunfire on Insanity.

Can you post all the perks you're using too? I am loving the combat now that I made the switch from Adept to Vangaurd. How the heck did you get your shields that high? Maybe it's because I'm only level 22.

nOoblet16

So here's something

1) Armour and profile that give 37% headshot/weak point bonus
2) Armour and profile that gives a total of 29% total damage bonus
3) Armour that gives a 16% total damage bonus + profile that gives 22% headshot/weak point bonus

Which one will be the best, specifically for a sniper rifle?
I'm guessing it's number 2 since the baseline damage will be higher, which also means headshot damage multiplier (which is based on the baseline damage) might be on par or better than number 1 but with the added benefit of higher body shot damage as well.

Can you post all the perks you're using too? I am loving the combat now that I made the switch from Adept to Vangaurd. How the heck did you get your shields that high? Maybe it's because I'm only level 22.

Theres a chest augmentation that cuts health by 50% but boosts shields by 50%. Super worth for Vanguard.

Will post all my perks and gear when I get home!

Theres a chest augmentation that cuts health by 50% but boosts shields by 50%. Super worth for Vanguard.

Will post all my perks and gear when I get home!

Ooo! I have that augmentation! I'll try that out. Also, thanks, can't wait to see your full loadout.

I was having a decent time with my Adept, but it didn't feel as good as ME2. I noticed it's not as much fun because I can't count on my allies to always combo when I want them to. This vanguard however is something else!

Ooo! I have that augmentation! I'll try that out. Also, thanks, can't wait to see your full loadout.

I was having a decent time with my Adept, but it didn't feel as good as ME2. I noticed it's not as much fun because I can't count on my allies to always combo when I want them to. This vanguard however is something else!

Np man Ill message you when I post so you don't miss it.

Meowster

This game is also probably the most challenging of the series, along with having the best gameplay. And I am playing on normal.
That early boss fight I was struggling with yesterday was by far the most challenging experience I've had in a Mass Effect game. Definitely agree with this. I don't know if I'm ever gonna have the courage to try the harder difficulties.

I'm not understanding the crafting system. Take this for example, the Black Widow sniper rifle is suppose to have 3 bullets in its clip and about 637 damage:

1) I developed a Black Widow with a laser aug and 2 augs for bonus damage against shields and armour. The stats told me I got 3 clips and 637 damage, but the gun turned out so weak that I couldn't even kill an unarmoured/unshielded Kett soldier with a headshot. It took 3 full bullets, despite the fact that 637 is more than enough to kill a Kett soldier without armour.

2) I develop the same exact gun but without the laser aug, I end up with a Black Widow with not only 1 bullet in the clip instead of the advertised 3, but ONE Max ammo...ONE !!

Wtf? If there are drawbacks to using augs or something else then it's not clearly conveyed here.

I crafted an assault rifle with an aug that shot electricity when in melee range.
Issue was it basically turned an assault rifle into a melee weapon which didn't even shoot normal bullets at further distance.
Waste of resources.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Question regarding crafted augments. When you spend research on an augment, you get one that you can use once. It says you can later "find them in the field" if you want more. What does this mean? Do they become random loot drops, or can I buy them from somewhere? If they are hard to acquire later, I don't want to waste them on low level guns.

nOoblet16

I crafted an assault rifle with an aug that shot electricity when in melee range.
Issue was it basically turned an assault rifle into a melee weapon which didn't even shoot normal bullets at further distance.
Waste of resources.

Game really should tell you or atleast hint at what it does cause it wastes precious resources like Element zero. I mean having drawbacks is one thing but completely making a weapon useless...that's too far.

nOoblet16

Question regarding crafted augments. When you spend research on an augment, you get one that you can use once. It says you can later "find them in the field" if you want more. What does this mean? Do they become random loot drops, or can I buy them from somewhere? If they are hard to acquire later, I don't want to waste them on low level guns.

You can both buy them and find them as loot.

Top Bottom