• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Xamdou

Snaku said:
Like Jade Empire, lulz.

Jade Empire port to PC 2-3 years later.

Why wait that long for a Mass Effect PC port when you can play it day 1 on the Xbox 360? 2-3 Years wait for the original Mass Effect PC port and the entire ME trilogy 1-3 would have been completed on the 360 by then.

cluto

AfunkyArcadeStick said:
ilmjadeempireboxshot.jpg

:\
Mass Effect has the "Only on Xbox 360" logo, so that basically means it's exclusivity has been sent to die.

Masseffect.jpg

MikeHaggar said:
i was under the impression that ms owned the ip rights to both gears of war and mass effect. if they do not, what's to stop epic from putting gears of war 2 on both the 360 and the ps3? combine this with the fact that they just "set bungie free" and what are they left with? rare? christ...

Microsoft owns the title "Gears of War" and the characters of Fenix, Dom, Cole, etc. Epic owns the world: Sera, Locust, COG, etc. There will be no Gears of War games on PS3, but there could be a spinoff (though I think that's unlikely).

Apparently Bioware owns the IP for Mass Effect, including the title, characters, and setting. No one knows if Microsoft has exclusive publishing rights, so while EA would surely love to spread the IP like peanut butter, it's not certain they can.

Microsoft still owns Halo if not Bungie, and Turn 10, and Rare, and Lionhead, etc. Plus they have extremely good relations with many third parties. They're not in trouble.

Zzoram

The 360 can easily keep getting timed exclusives, and maybe some true exclusives, just by doing co-marketing. I'm sure if Microsoft pays for the TV spot, a lot of companies will go timed exclusive.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
sp0rsk said:
Che, how would you compare Mass Effect to Perfect Dark Zero? Better? Same?
I can't tell if this is sarcasm. Maybe you have some weird Johanna Dark fetish.

xbhaskarx

Zzoram said:
I'm much more worried about Mass Effect sales than Bioshock, as Mass Effect is a better game and less mainstream.

Zzoram said:
I still have a nagging feeling that this game isn't going to sell as well as Bioshock. Too bad.

Save your worry for other things because Mass Effect will easily outsell BioShock. If Mass Effect doesn't break 2m lifetime I'll eat my hat. I expect closer to 3.5m.

Yes there's a lot more competition in November than in August, but:
-There is a lot more hardware and software sold in November than in August
-December is fairly empty for the 360 (Golden Compass, DDR2, Madden Espanol, MX vs ATV, March Madness), whereas BioShock ran into Halo 3 in September
-BioShock has plenty of FPS competition (Halo 3, Orange Box, CoD4), whereas Mass Effect is the only big RPG

KennyL

godhandiscen said:
I can't tell if this is sarcasm. Maybe you have some weird Johanna Dark fetish.

Your Mass Effect score = Che's Mass Effect score X (Your PDZ score / Che's PDZ score)

Why can't you understand this?

pswii60

Liabe Brave said:
Microsoft owns the title "Gears of War" and the characters of Fenix, Dom, Cole, etc. Epic owns the world: Sera, Locust, COG, etc. There will be no Gears of War games on PS3, but there could be a spinoff (though I think that's unlikely).

Did you just make that up?

Word Mark GEARS OF WAR
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: computer game software for use with personal computers, home video game consoles used with televisions, and for arcade-based video game consoles. FIRST USE: 20061107. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20061107
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 78874093
Filing Date May 2, 2006
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition November 7, 2006
Registration Number 3327721
Registration Date October 30, 2007
Owner (REGISTRANT) Epic Games, Inc. CORPORATION MARYLAND 620 Crossroads Boulevard Cary NORTH CAROLINA 27511
Attorney of Record William P. Andrews, Jr.
Prior Registrations 3022153
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
xbhaskarx said:
Save your worry for other things because Mass Effect will easily outsell BioShock. If Mass Effect doesn't break 2m lifetime I'll eat my hat. I expect closer to 3.5m.

Yes there's a lot more competition in November than in August, but:
-There is a lot more hardware and software sold in November than in August
-December is fairly empty for the 360 (Golden Compass, DDR2, Madden Espanol, MX vs ATV, March Madness), whereas BioShock ran into Halo 3 in September
-BioShock has plenty of FPS competition (Halo 3, Orange Box, CoD4), whereas Mass Effect is the only big RPG

I seriously doubt that, honestly. While Bioshock has more competition I think many of those buying FPS:s are more bound to buy new ones faster since they end quicker -- like Bioshock which have been so damn celebrated everywhere. On top of that there probably are a helluva lot more people interested in games like Bioshock (since it's "easier" to play and get into) than Mass Effect. I'm sure it will sell good but I'm not sure that it will sell better.

Kildace

orangecoke said:
I think anything I say about the screens will come off as PR spin anyway - the final game really looks totally stunning. Early reviews Im privy to are likely to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy on this topic.

I think Mass Effect TV commercials will start airing around mid-month.

Orangecoke is the person who recorded the "Mass Effect Combat Videos" so he probably works at BioWare.

xbhaskarx

ItsInMyVeins said:
I seriously doubt that, honestly.... I'm sure it will sell good but I'm not sure that it will sell better.

So according to NPD, BioShock did 491k in August and 150k in September. You seriously don't think Mass Effect can do over 650k in North America by the end of the year (same timespan)?

Nolan.

xbhaskarx said:
So according to NPD, BioShock did 491k in August and 150k in September. You seriously don't think Mass Effect can do over 650k in North America by the end of the year (same timespan)?

I think it definately can but where is this gears like marketing bioware commented on in fact where is the marketing full stop.

pswii60

Nolan. said:
I think it definately can but where is this gears like marketing bioware commented on in fact where is the marketing full stop.

Mass Effect isn't released for another 2 weeks.

itsinmyveins

xbhaskarx said:

I wasn't thinking about NA alone though. But I thought Bioshock did better than that. Is that a total for both PC + X360?

Nolan.

pswii60 said:

And? GTA wasn't scheduled to be released for a month and the ads already started before it. Gears similarly had teaser ads that just said ''emergence day'' and listed the date then the real ads started after that. Halo also had ads/marketing more than two weeks away from release.

xbhaskarx

ItsInMyVeins said:
I wasn't thinking about NA alone though. But I thought Bioshock did better than that. Is that a total for both PC + X360?

BioShock PC: 91k August, 43k September (wow, so combined it's still less than 360 sales for September)
So that's 491 + 91 + 150 + 43 = 775k.

I thought we were arguing just over 360 sales, but it doesn't matter because I think Mass Effect will easily sell over 775k in North America by the end of the year. And whatever non-NA numbers for BioShock are, Mass Effect will easily beat those, too (RPGs are big in Western Europe, and they can't do any worse than FPS in Japan).

itsinmyveins

xbhaskarx said:
BioShock PC: 91k August, 43k September (wow, so combined it's still less than 360 sales for September)
So that's 491 + 91 + 150 + 43 = 775k.

I thought we were arguing just over 360 sales, but it doesn't matter because I think Mass Effect will easily sell over 775k in North America by the end of the year. And whatever non-NA numbers for BioShock are, Mass Effect will easily beat those, too (RPGs are big in Western Europe, and they can't do any worse than FPS in Japan).

Maybe. I'm not saying anything is for certain. I'm just saying I find it hard to believe more people would be interested in something as stuffy as a typical western RPG with all its perks and downsides over a simpler FPS:ish thing like Bioshock, simply because it requires more of your time.

I'm sure it will be popular here in Europe as well, but there seemed to be a helluva lot of attention directed at Bioshock when it was released.

Liabe Brave said:

Microsoft apparently have (had) first refusal on exclusivity rights to the next iteration of the franchise. I would put money on the contract for the sequel including a similar clause, and so on as success dictates.

Aaron

pswii60 said:
In other words, it's already too late to get the word out. Really, if you want the masses to have any interest at all you need to hit them hard and repeatedly, just like they did with Gears and Halo 3. Ad campaign is already way past due.

FFChris

Aaron said:
In other words, it's already too late to get the word out. Really, if you want the masses to have any interest at all you need to hit them hard and repeatedly, just like they did with Gears and Halo 3. Ad campaign is already way past due.

They can still advertise after the game is out.

watership

S8 RoXoRz said:
Jade Empire port to PC 2-3 years later.

Why wait that long for a Mass Effect PC port when you can play it day 1 on the Xbox 360? 2-3 Years wait for the original Mass Effect PC port and the entire ME trilogy 1-3 would have been completed on the 360 by then.

Because "i'm waiting for _______" is a gaf mantra?

Rezbit

To get into the sci-fi mood, I downloaded Star Control II- The Ur-Quan Masters, which I had no idea had been made free to the public! It's here if anyone wants to check it out. The graphics are obviously pretty simple as it's about 15 years old, but it still holds up brilliantly in terms of depth. I really, really, hope Mass Effect is open-ended like this, and creates a feeling of exploring a galaxy. I've been hanging out for a 3D version of a game similar to Star Control or Starflight for years. I hope I'm not too hyped, might be a bit disappointed if we only get sporadic exploration and diplomacy and mostly combat!

R0nn

So basically, Che has literally been sucked into the galaxy of Mass Effect through a massive black hole and we will never hear from him again?

R0nn said:
So basically, Che has literally been sucked into the galaxy of Mass Effect through a massive black hole and we will never hear from him again?
Probably not until Christmas. We'll miss you Che...

Snaku

Banned
R0nn said:

Such is the nature of Mass Effect.

birdman

If only this and Rock Band didn't come out on the same day, there would be time for both for me. But alas, I will have to wait a few weeks after to play Mass Effect. Holiday '07 is a pain on my wallet.

Scribble

Oh well, at least we'll probably have a massive writeup from him later (As he said). I love it when people gush about games.

What is this too late shit? No ad campaign on TV has started a month in advance, ads always roll out about a week before release because there is no point advertising a product no one can buy. Mass Effect can easily get sales if it has a Gears-like campaign.

Grecco

Mass Effect has had print adds for at least a month in comic books/OXM/EGM.... Whats this no advertising nonsense?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
sp0rsk said:
Che, how would you compare Mass Effect to Perfect Dark Zero? Better? Same?

All things being equal, I like Forza 2 more than either of them.

RTS83

Dina said:
That is the not the reply I was hoping for when I saw you having the last post.
My neither, my heart literally fell through the floor lol...all that talk about a hugely descriptive post of awesome and we are greeted with, "Forza 2 is better"...

*sadness*

Undeux

Aaron said:

It's a waste of an advertising budget to do a big media blast a month prior to release for a game like this. Halo and Gears are clear mainstream hits while Mass Effect will have a more difficult time penetrating the market on major venues like TV. Marketing budgets are surprisingly small and TV is shockingly expensive. :)

I wouldn't be shocked if they start the blitz any day now, though. They kind of need to.

GenericPseudonym said:
What is this too late shit? No ad campaign on TV has started a month in advance, ads always roll out about a week before release because there is no point advertising a product no one can buy. Mass Effect can easily get sales if it has a Gears-like campaign.
Oh good, I was worried nobody was going to check this argument for time of death.

A quick look on BBFC's website seems to show that not Mass Effect trailer has been submitted for a rating. Granted its not an indication of TV advertising, but it looks like cinema adverts in the UK are out of the question for Mass Effect. Which I find quite odd, given the cinematic nature that Mass Effect has.

What is going on at MS at the moment? PGR4 sent out to die, Sony advertising Assassin's Creed and now Mass Effect seemingly left out in the cold. MS are looking a bit weak at the moment, especially given Sony's bullish PS3 campaign.

Mass Effect will sell to the forum going gaming crowd, but outside of that demographic I wonder if an RPG can make big strides into the more part-time gaming market.

RTS83

Zzoram said:
If Forza 2 is better than Mass Effect, I'm scared about my pre-order :lol
I had the same thought. I know Forza 2 is great and awesome and a niche game for car lovers...but I sort of want Mass Effect to be one of the greatest games of all time.

Something that Gameinformer giving COD4 a 10 means might not happen.

Zzoram

Amannamederic said:
I had the same thought. I know Forza 2 is great and awesome and a niche game for car lovers...but I sort of want Mass Effect to be one of the greatest games of all time.

Something that Gameinformer giving COD4 a 10 means might not happen.

Ya I played Forza 2 for a bit but it wasn't for me. I've never gotten into driving games, and I don't have a love for cars.

Top Bottom