• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

KRS7

I ordered 4 games during an online sale. Bioshock and Halo 3 have already delivered, and this one looks like this will as well. If GTA IV turns out as promised it will be the best $200 dollars I have ever spent on games.

Mass Effect should arrive right as I finish up the quarter. Nothing helps the cold nights of winter go by like an epic game and the warmth of a 360 (Who needs a space heater?)

Does anyone know if there is an embargo on internet reviews like there was with some other big games this year?

Oh and the hype? It's only going way up from here

masseffect.jpg

Zzoram

KRS7 said:
I ordered 4 games during an online sale. Bioshock and Halo 3 have already delivered, and this one looks like this will as well. If GTA IV turns out as promised it will be the best $200 dollars I have ever spent on games.

Mass Effect should arrive right as I finish up the quarter. Nothing helps the cold nights of winter go by like an epic game and the warmth of a 360 (Who needs a space heater?)

Does anyone know if there is an embargo on internet reviews like there was with some other big games this year?

Oh and the hype? It's only going way up from here

masseffect.jpg

How do you find Google trends for other stuff? That looks like an interesting tool.

Darkman M

I cant understand for the life of me why some of you actually played into NeoJubei little game, are you guys oblivious to his post history? Anyways Mario on the 12th this on the 20th= gaming bliss, persona 3 will hold me till then.:D

Zzoram

Darkman M said:
I cant understand for the life of me why some of you actually played into NeoJubei little game, are you guys oblivious to his post history? Anyways Mario on the 12th this on the 20th= gaming bliss, persona 3 will hold me till then.:D

Not all of of us know everyone here.

Darkman M

Zzoram said:
Not all of of us know everyone here.

I don't personally know him either, but a quick click on his username "find all post by neojubei" explains everything. Im just saying don't even bother with it no matter what you say it means nonthing to him he has his mind made up.

dejay

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
and "Massive Egg"

Yielded this in Google image search:

11cbptt.jpg

Also, doing an image search of "mass erect" wasn't nearly as frightening as I thought it might be.

Rimshot

Is it worth picking up the collectors edition of this game?
Can't really decide if the extras are sufficient enough for me to pay the extra 20 dollars.

dejan

Rimshot said:
Can't really decide if the extras are sufficient enough for me to pay the extra 20 dollars.
My main reason to get the collector's edition of Mass Effect:

- 10 songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack

temp

posting on contract only
Rimshot said:
When you're laying on your deathbed, will you think "I wish I had that extra ten dollars" or "I wish I had the collector's edition of Mass Effect"?

bj00rn

Banned
So this is the Official neojubei thread now...? What the hell is going on?

Anyway, I'm excited about the music in this game, I really want to hear more of it.

Rimshot

temp said:
When you're laying on your deathbed, will you think "I wish I had that extra ten dollars" or "I wish I had the collector's edition of Mass Effect"?

I think I'd wish I'd put those 20 dollars on getting Uncharted or to another game unless those 20 dollars was well spent on the collectors edition. Assassins Creed had this cool figurine I wanted so that's why I'm getting it, Oblivion had the cool septim. Mass Effect has a 39 page mini book? :/

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Rimshot said:
I think I'd wish I'd put those 20 dollars on getting Uncharted or to another game unless those 20 dollars was well spent on the collectors edition. Assassins Creed had this cool figurine I wanted so that's why I'm getting it, Oblivion had the cool septim. Mass Effect has a 39 page mini book? :/

Mini book > figurine/coin

Rimshot

EvaPlusMinus said:
Mini book > figurine/coin

Lies! I guess you haven't felt the joy of playing around with the nice coin in your hand while doing other stuff on the comp or loading screens :)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Darkman M said:

What little game? I was asking about a game that I was interested in, is that a crime? And what does my post history have to do with anything? Obviously you do not know me. I like the sci-fi part of mass effect, but i am not too keen on the graw aspect, if it is like graw. Hopefully not.

Uncle

RumFore said:
Any word on if the CE will come in a tin box? Everything seems so mum.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/purchase.html

The limited collector's edition will be offered through participating retailers, and will include the following bonus materials:

* A Mass Effect fiction book titled "Galactic Codex: Essentials"
o A 36-page guide to the Mass Effect universe, including a Citadel timeline and a guide to all non-human races, biotics and the key locations in the Perseus arm of the galaxy
* An additional Mass Effect art book titled "A Future Imagined"
o A 36-page collection of BioWare's concept art for the game
* A bonus DVD of exclusive Mass Effect background material and additional content including:
o "The Vision of Mass Effect documentary
o "The Making of Mass Effect documentary
o "Interactive Storytelling" documentary
o "Inside BioWare" documentary
o 18 Mass Effect themed gamer pics (three unique sets of six)
o 16 dashboard themes (four unique sets of four)
o Ten songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack
o Five historical Mass Effect trailers from X05 through E3 2007 and the official TV trailer
o A demo for "Blue Dragon" and videos for "Lost Odyssey," "Halo 3" and "Halo Wars"
o Design galleries featuring 600 concept images fully commented by the Art Directors

SOLDIER

Have those 140+ screens of absolute shit been debunked yet? Because I have been seriously worried about the game ever since I saw them. I was ready to buy this day one, but now I constantly worry if those screenshots represent the actual finished product.

Please, as soon as this is confirmed or denied, post it in the OP.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Please keep google trends out of the official Mass Effect thread. It would be nice if the thread wasn't totally destroyed before the game came out.

Loving the impressions Che, info on my most anticipated game of the year and a flashback to simpler times when you worked at Ziff ;)

Belgorim

SOLDIER said:
Have those 140+ screens of absolute shit been debunked yet? Because I have been seriously worried about the game ever since I saw them. I was ready to buy this day one, but now I constantly worry if those screenshots represent the actual finished product.

Please, as soon as this is confirmed or denied, post it in the OP.
It seems to be that those screens are grabbed from something called the framebuffer, and even though they do not represent what you will in fact see on your screen, they do represent graphics that the game loads in some way or another. So yes, they are from the game, and no, that is not how the game will appear on your screen.

This is all from the reliable source of me after reading the threads here :)

R0nn

Che, how's the difficulty? Is it at least more challenging than KOTOR? Are boss fights involving enough (ie. having to use tactics instead of just shooting away)?

Can you tell us anything about the item system? What I'm getting at is this: in a game like BG2 you had lots of sidequests and special areas where you could get these awesome weapons and armors, complete with back story. I loved that shit, but it was completely lacking in KOTOR. How is Mass Effect in this regard?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Sorry, I played the shit out of Mass Effect on Sunday after I got home from going out with wifey. Didn't have time to update.

I will write a lengthy one today, with much more real impressions/reviews since I'm now about 18 hours or so into the game and loving it more and more. The story and characters stayed with me as I laid in bed last night, wishing I didn't have to go to work in the morning and was still playing till the wee hours of the morning.

It's not without its faults, but even still, this is currently my GOTY, hands down. (Outside of Forza 2 that is! :D )

Congrats, Bioware.

Iama

sionyboy said:
Is there a demo planned for Mass Effect? I remember an interview where one of the BioWare guys hinted that a demo could make its way to Xbox Live, but I've heard nothing since.

Oh, nice impressions CheSpace, UE3 looks like it is finally delivering on its potential. So much for "all UE3 games look the same" I guess.

I never seen an orpg's demo.

------
Half-OT:
Bioshock has got more hype than MS, or I'm wrong?

Iama

neojubei said:
Did anyone catch that video on kotaku? This one

I love the character customizing and dialogue system but the only thing that is putting me off is the combat. Frankly speaking, this game looks like a shooter disguising as an RPG, or a shooter with RPG elements? Watching the video from kotaku tells me this is an RPG for shooter fans than say RPG fans.

They show exactly what most guys wants. Every video of every game is make to show an action point of view.
You'll never see exploration (spoilers) in this trailers or pre-lunch video.

They must sell and a lot of people, if knows that this is an rpg, sure they'll don't buy it.
It'a s sort of marketing trick I suppose

Brakara said:
Bioshock didn't have that much hype until the great reviews started to flood in though.

The demo of BioShock, couple with the reviews, helped create the hype behind that game. Speaking for myself here, before the demo I really wasn't paying attention to the game.

MS won't let Mass Effect slip idly by, its part of their 'holy trinity' for their ad campaigns this Christmas, I'm sure by next week we'll see the marketing machine start to spin up.

Zzoram

sionyboy said:
The demo of BioShock, couple with the reviews, helped create the hype behind that game. Speaking for myself here, before the demo I really wasn't paying attention to the game.

MS won't let Mass Effect slip idly by, its part of their 'holy trinity' for their ad campaigns this Christmas, I'm sure by next week we'll see the marketing machine start to spin up.

Ya for a while I wasn't sure I wanted Bioshock. The TV commercial + demo + reviews sold it to me.

Belgorim

chespace said:
Sorry, I played the shit out of Mass Effect on Sunday after I got home from going out with wifey. Didn't have time to update.

I will write a lengthy one today, with much more real impressions/reviews since I'm now about 18 hours or so into the game and loving it more and more. The story and characters stayed with me as I laid in bed last night, wishing I didn't have to go to work in the morning and was still playing till the wee hours of the morning.

It's not without its faults, but even still, this is currently my GOTY, hands down. (Outside of Forza 2 that is! :D )

Congrats, Bioware.
I'm pressing F5 about once a minute now for update.

Not without its faults?!?! Armageddon confirmed.

Darkman M

Belgorim said:
I'm pressing F5 about once a minute now for update.

Not without its faults?!?! Armageddon confirmed.

He is only stating the obvious, what game doesn't have faults? Anyways i cant wait to hear more of che's impressions.

Naeblish

chespace said:

Congrats, Bioware.
Can't wait. Appreciate what your doing.

Belgorim

Darkman M said:
He is only stating the obvious, what game doesn't have faults? Anyways i cant wait to hear more of che's impressions.
nu uh... Starcraft doesnt have a single fault!
after ~12 patches and an expansion

GreekWolf

Zzoram said:
Ya for a while I wasn't sure I wanted Bioshock. The TV commercial + demo + reviews sold it to me.
Blasphemy. System Shock 2 should have sold it for you.

Uncle said:
The limited collector's edition will be offered through participating retailers, and will include the following bonus materials: *awesome stuff*
I haven't bothered to pick up a limited CE ever since Halo 2's half-hearted package left me sorely disappointed. However, the sheer amount of win that's jam-packed into this beautiful tin box really leaves me with no other choice. I must have it.

Iama

Brakara said:
Bioshock didn't have that much hype until the great reviews started to flood in though.

You're right

So, this.

But is quite impossible to see an orpgs' demo as I mentioned before. But it's sure that a 15 minutes demo it will be enough.

BioShock did this, but it was an FPS/FPA which demos are extremly more simple to make

Top Bottom