• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Lostconfused said:
No, its because you are comparing 3 rather different games.

I am trying to figure out the combat system in the game and if it is similar to graw. I'm not interested trying to postion my team and have to babysit them. If they are elite soliders they should know what to do.

temp said:
Mark Vanderloo is generic. Deal with it.

Very true. If I buy this game, I want my character to be anything other than generic. Maybe a Black/Asian girl like Alyx or Jade from beyond good and evil. Oh and no, I don't play half-life 2, but I love alyx character design.

Nolan.

Psychotext said:
Wow... they did an excellent job with his likeness.

The ingame model only looks a bit like that one photo or mark any other photo and I don't think you'd know who it was they were going for.

FFChris

Nolan. said:
The ingame model only looks a bit like that one photo or mark any other photo and I don't think you'd know who it was they were going for.

I disagree Nolan, I think the likeness is pretty obvious. Give me five supermodel photos, one of him and I think I'd be able to pick out who he had been modeled on for the game.

pswii60

FFChris said:
I disagree Nolan, I think the likeness is pretty obvious. Give me five supermodel photos, one of him and I think I'd be able to pick out who he had been modeled on for the game.

I think you have a different agenda
;)

MbGCaM

m0dus said:
Wow, excellent writeup, che! Have you ever thought about taking a job with one of those videogame-reviews magazines? You might have what it takes! keep writing! :)

:D :D :D :D

Nice impresions Che, thanks!

Thanks for the impressions Che!

but i have one question

the subtitles of the game come in how many languages??(kinda of stupid question but I´m very curious since I´m not from an english speaking country)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
m0dus said:
Wow, excellent writeup, che! Have you ever thought about taking a job with one of those videogame-reviews magazines? You might have what it takes! keep writing! :)

He hosts a thread very well too, maybe his skills are better suited to some kind of community manager role.

pswii60

m0dus said:

I think 1UP have a vacancy now that Mark has left.

chespace said:
Happy to answer any other questions.

I also have this point I want to make about role playing in Mass Effect but I'm all typed out right now.
Do you think you will play through the game as a different character?

I am having a tough time deciding whethr I want to playthrough as a soldier, or play through as a magic guy. Are the magic guys not as fast-paced as the soldiers? I mean, can you do a lot more damage faster as a soldier than a magic user?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
m0dus said:
You know, the Last Alarm website could use a community manager . . . hmmm. would an unpaid internship sound appealing, you think? For gaining experience to use in the real world down the road?

Are you getting paid? Im not getting paid. Who do I ask about getting paid?

Nab

Hey, I have a question.

Among the planets you get to visit, are any of them like... The homeworlds of the other races?

I mean I've been following the game and reading up on everything I can find and there's the Turians, Asari, Quarians (Ok, maybe not them) and the Hanar and everything and I was wondering if you actually get to go to their homeworlds and experience life as like... One of the only humans on a planet full of aliens that don't really like humans too much?

Or is it all just random planets with a wide mix of all the races on each one?

RSTEIN said:
Interesting field report at Teamxbox. The game takes up 6.47 gb.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=554994

enough space left fo upgrades in ME2 and ME3

or perhaps not

think that I read somewhere that if you use the entire DVD some data (actually the one that are closest to the center) get very slow to be read

At least this proves that Bioware was not using a "magic DVD" as Dr. Greg Zeschuk claimed :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Odrion

Banned
pswii60 said:
I think 1UP have a vacancy now that Mark has left.
Yeah but looking at how easy going he is with games, I think Che would end up giving too high of scores and end up pissing off fanboys over at GAF.

But eh, it's just a gut feeling.

Mrbob

Damn I think I will have to save multiple galaxies this month now (this one and marios).

Nice write up Che.

The teamxbox link with the post form SpaceGhost was sweet, too. Not in the game description kind of way, but how the whole media event was handled.

GhaleonEB

Just got this PR - TV spot debuts tomorrow.

Countdown Begins for Launch of “Mass Effect” with Exclusive Debut of TV Spot, SCI FI Channel Special, Micro-Site and Official Soundtrack

Microsoft, Yahoo! and SCI FI Channel celebrate the upcoming release of the holiday’s most anticipated new action role-playing game with two weeks of exclusive special programming and events

As the Nov. 20 launch date for “Mass Effect” for Xbox 360 draws nigh, the threat of an alien rogue force looms ever closer. To help unlock some of the secrets and mysteries of the vast universe in the highly-anticipated action RPG, Microsoft and Yahoo! will debut the exclusive television trailer for the upcoming game on Thursday, Nov. 8. On Monday, Nov. 12, the SCI FI Channel and Microsoft will continue its countdown for the retail release of “Mass Effect” by premiering the all-new, two-hour extended episode of “Battlestar Galactica: Razor” in select movie theaters. For those lucky enough to attend the Seattle premiere, Jamie Bamber, who plays Apollo in “Battlestar Galactica,” and show creator and executive producer Ronald D. Moore will be in attendance.

On Tuesday, Nov. 20, the SCI FI Channel will celebrate the launch of “Mass Effect” with the debut of a 30-minute special entitled “Sci vs. Fi: Mass Effect.” Scheduled to air at 11 p.m. Eastern and Pacific, the special will feature more in-depth information about the game, exclusive interviews and exciting behind-the scenes footage.

In conjunction with the special, fans are encouraged to go to http://www.scifi.com/masseffect to find all the show times and sign up for the “Mass Effect” sweepstakes, starting Nov. 13, for a chance to win the coveted limited collector’s edition of “Mass Effect.”

Also fueling anticipation for the game is the new “Mass Effect” micro-site on Xbox.com, which launched today at http://www.xbox.com/masseffect. The micro-site offers a wealth of “Mass Effect” content in one convenient portal, including the latest news and events on the game, as well as screenshots and special promotional items that no space traveling enthusiast should be without. Music fans will also find the “Mass Effect” Original Game Soundtrack, now available for presale and at retailers on Nov. 20.

From the creators of the critically-acclaimed “Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic” and “Jade Empire” comes an epic space saga exclusively for the Xbox 360 that spans the entire galaxy. Combining a rich and engaging narrative with intense sci-fi tactical combat, “Mass Effect” features an immersive and cinematic gameplay experience rarely seen before in video games.

golem

i got the mass effect preorder disc and the sound doesnt work in the Inside Mass Effect video, anything interesting in there?

RTS83

Ok, gameplay discussion is great...but I think the question on everyone's mind here is...

How full of shit was Bioware's PR/Dev or whatever when he told us that he had played through the game multiple times and still not visited every planet there was to visit?

Che, do a count, hop onto that ship and let us know...how many planets can you visit and interact with...

20?

200?

I hope the latter, but if its the former...I don't know how I'd feel.

Frenck

Banned
Amannamederic said:
Ok, gameplay discussion is great...but I think the question on everyone's mind here is...

How full of shit was Bioware's PR/Dev or whatever when he told us that he had played through the game multiple times and still not visited every planet there was to visit?

Che, do a count, hop onto that ship and let us know...how many planets can you visit and interact with...

20?

200?

It's 432 and some unlockable ones, I just counted them.

There are also 15 major space stations and a couple dozens of derelict space cruisers to investigate. I'm a bit disappointed and I hope that Bioware manage to redeem themselves by at least doubling that number for ME 2 next year.

Frenck said:

There are also 15 major space stations and a couple dozens of derelict space cruisers to investigate. I'm a bit disappointed and I hope that Bioware manage to redeem themselves by at least doubling that number for ME 2 next year.

Did...did you really just count them?

Frenck

Banned
No, I was making fun of the stellar expectations that ME has to live up to according to some people.

I will enjoy the fallout when gravity pulls their mass effected asses back to the ground :D

Frenck said:
No, I was making fun of the stellar expectations that ME has to live up to according to some people.

I will enjoy the fallout when gravity pulls their mass effected asses back to the ground :D

There really needs to be gif of someone using biotics to slam someone into the ceiling for instances like this one.

RTS83

Frenck said:

Its sad because Bioware allowed me to believe that a number as high as you suggest would be possible!

I bit into this hype-train...hard...

pswii60

GhaleonEB said:
Just got this PR - TV spot debuts tomorrow.

Countdown Begins for Launch of “Mass Effect” with Exclusive Debut of TV Spot, SCI FI Channel Special, Micro-Site and Official Soundtrack

Microsoft, Yahoo! and SCI FI Channel celebrate the upcoming release of the holiday’s most anticipated new action role-playing game with two weeks of exclusive special programming and events

As the Nov. 20 launch date for “Mass Effect” for Xbox 360 draws nigh, the threat of an alien rogue force looms ever closer. To help unlock some of the secrets and mysteries of the vast universe in the highly-anticipated action RPG, Microsoft and Yahoo! will debut the exclusive television trailer for the upcoming game on Thursday, Nov. 8. On Monday, Nov. 12, the SCI FI Channel and Microsoft will continue its countdown for the retail release of “Mass Effect” by premiering the all-new, two-hour extended episode of “Battlestar Galactica: Razor” in select movie theaters. For those lucky enough to attend the Seattle premiere, Jamie Bamber, who plays Apollo in “Battlestar Galactica,” and show creator and executive producer Ronald D. Moore will be in attendance.

On Tuesday, Nov. 20, the SCI FI Channel will celebrate the launch of “Mass Effect” with the debut of a 30-minute special entitled “Sci vs. Fi: Mass Effect.” Scheduled to air at 11 p.m. Eastern and Pacific, the special will feature more in-depth information about the game, exclusive interviews and exciting behind-the scenes footage.

In conjunction with the special, fans are encouraged to go to http://www.scifi.com/masseffect to find all the show times and sign up for the “Mass Effect” sweepstakes, starting Nov. 13, for a chance to win the coveted limited collector’s edition of “Mass Effect.”

Also fueling anticipation for the game is the new “Mass Effect” micro-site on Xbox.com, which launched today at http://www.xbox.com/masseffect. The micro-site offers a wealth of “Mass Effect” content in one convenient portal, including the latest news and events on the game, as well as screenshots and special promotional items that no space traveling enthusiast should be without. Music fans will also find the “Mass Effect” Original Game Soundtrack, now available for presale and at retailers on Nov. 20.

From the creators of the critically-acclaimed “Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic” and “Jade Empire” comes an epic space saga exclusively for the Xbox 360 that spans the entire galaxy. Combining a rich and engaging narrative with intense sci-fi tactical combat, “Mass Effect” features an immersive and cinematic gameplay experience rarely seen before in video games.

Ya see, what did I tell everyone! Patience. :D

EDIT: That micro-site doesn't work if you're outside the US, unless you use this link instead:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/splash/m/masseffect/

Iama

Micromegas said:
I bet it will be the opposite. Since Mass Effect isn't a "shooter", and it's just a "niche-y RPG" they will market it slightly less than they did with Viva Piñata.

Just my guess, as MS fucks everything up, and it's not in their nature to learn from their mistakes. Too bad though, because this game, and the team at Bioware that made it, deserves a year's worth of marketing funds to promote it.

For sure.

Zzoram

Amannamederic said:

20?

200?

The last interview with the Docs that I saw, they said ~240 visitable locations, most of which are planets, but some space stations/other mixed in. Only 20-30 can you land on or dock with, as most planets are gas giants (just like in real life space), but all the visitable locations will have something to do. I assume that means you can mine minerals, find secret stuff, scan things, and get distress signals.

Of the places you can land and explore, only some are required for the main quest, while the others are for optional quests and exploration.

Zzoram

"Casey started off telling us about their goals and ambitions with this project. They want to bring new people into the RPG genre, and they did that by 1) adding a real-time combat system that would appeal to shooter fans, and 2) adding a story and a story implementation process (the dialog wheel) to appeal to casual gamers. I should stress that they did NOT weaken the game by doing this, as it is the gamer’s choice how much assistance the game gives you with the combat. If you JUST want to do the RPG part of the game, multiple assists and difficulty levels are available to seriously downplay the combat aspects. On the other hand, if the shooter part is the part that appeals to you, ramp up the difficulty and take full control of your team."

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=554994

Iama

Nolan. said:
If only... I mean if they can go on about shooting in a building that resembles a church here who knows what they might say at a lesbo commercial. ''Omg teh scandal news at 10 the global giant ms is selling a game condoning lesbianism...not only that but the ad features lesbians doing stuff in what appears to be a room that looks just like one that exists in our own world as evident from a light bulb''. Or they could try and do it to stirr up interest, scandal and attention I would like if they did it though.

*laugh*

You assume that the alien has the same sexuality than human. How we know what kind of secret she has, down here? :D

Zzoram

Iama said:
*laugh*

You assume that the alien has the same sexuality than human. How we know what kind of secret she has, down here? :D

Apparently the alien is neither male nor female, but just looks female. Their species might not have distinct sexes like we do?

Iama

Actually I'm questioning
why Ms has the exclusive (not for PC, only x360) and
why they don't push this rare (non crossPC) full exclusive now, without lose any other time?

Iama said:
Actually I'm questioning
why they don't push this rare (non crossPC) full exclusive now, without lose any other time?

TV special, advert, promotions. All underway.

As to why they have the exclusive, they smelled the awesome and scooped it up.

Tieno

Iama said:
Actually I'm questioning
-MS has the exclusive for 360 because they probably also need full 360 exclusives and probably because Bioware didn't want to do multi-plat development for such a big game.
-MS is going to push it, tomorrow the first ad is revealed.

Zzoram

Tieno said:
-MS has the exclusive for 360 because they probably also need full 360 exclusives and probably because Bioware didn't want to do multi-plat development for such a big game.
-MS is going to push it, tomorrow the first ad is revealed.

Multiplatform development takes longer.

Tieno

Zzoram said:
Multiplatform development takes longer.
Yep and Bioware takes its time. Makes me wonder how they're going to do that with new Bioware games under EA. Are they going to outsource the other platforms to a different EA studio? Less ambitious games?

Iama

Right. Making love with an alien, is eterosexuality for definition. Obviously BioWare don't think so. They simply introduced a little trick that is not exactly omosexuality, it's an half way.
Enough to collect a lot of curiosity.

Zzoram

Tieno said:
Yep and Bioware takes its time. Makes me wonder how they're going to do that with new Bioware games under EA. Are they going to outsource the other platforms to a different EA studio? Less ambitious games?

Bioware is a good PC developer, and I'm sure they can handle 360/PC simultaneous development since it's so similar. Maybe they'll follow the Valve model where they do the 360/PC internally, and give the PS3 port to EA.

Iama

Tieno said:
Yep and Bioware takes its time.

Ok, for ps3 and some other console. But PC usually, for game like this (rpg BioWare), is the first platfom to work.
And Ms brings the formula "X360 plus Game for Windows" in high consideration

Zzoram

Iama said:
Ok, for ps3 and some other console. But PC usually, for game like this (rpg BioWare), is the first platfom to work.
And Ms brings the formula "X360 plus Game for Windows" in high consideration

There's a reason that PC developers prefer the Xbox 360.

Top Bottom