• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Gamer @ Heart said:
For ME 2 the need to make the thrusters balance you out in the air and not thrust you in the direction your tilting, that way they could be useful jumping over shit.

Odd. I jump over rockets like nobody's business.

medze

Did anyone catch the special that aired a week or so ago on Sci-Fi entitled Sci vs. Fi: Mass Effect? Unfortunately, I didn't (mainly because I was waist deep in the game itself) and now it appears they aren't airing it anymore.

Am I just shit out of luck? Was the special worth watching anyways assuming you're a fan of the game?

Beat the game a short while ago. Just an incredible experience overall and I just wish that more games would take a look at what BioWare is doing and try to improve upon that. For some odd reason I found the aiming to be odd at the default level (high I believe), so I would suggest you guys push it down to normal.

I'm interested in seeing how far this franchise can be pushed. It has an incredible base foundation laid down for it with ME1, and there is a ton of potential in the sequel. I would love to see more KotOR 2 like character development within the party. Characters that have disagreements and conversations amongst themselves during a mission, or even engage in conversation with you. Also it was much harder to earn the respect or to initiate a romance with someone in that game than it was in ME.

Jugendstil said:
I definitely agree with the Kaidan hate. He just sucks. He isn't even cool looking or interesting. At least Ashley is kind of a bitch, which is funny. Kaidan is just boring. Like others have said, why would you waste time with him when you can have cool aliens in your party instead?

I actually hated Ashley, I talked to her thinking she was the one I was supposed to have sex with, but what a crazy bitch with family issues.

Kaiden was cool, every time I went upto talk to him we both were glowing with sweat under the lights of passion, plus he had the added coolness of going mental because he was a version 2 instead of a version 3.

still...Garrus and Wrex > any other lame human or alien.

VALIS

jet1911 said:
Kaidan is useless in combat, that's why I don't like him.

Same. Fighting with Kaidan is like volunteering to transport a corpse with you around the planet.

And I think he got uppity with Shepard early on, too, if I remember.

Wrex is a jerk too, but at least he's a good jerk.

medze said:
Did anyone catch the special that aired a week or so ago on Sci-Fi entitled Sci vs. Fi: Mass Effect? Unfortunately, I didn't (mainly because I was waist deep in the game itself) and now it appears they aren't airing it anymore.

Am I just shit out of luck? Was the special worth watching anyways assuming you're a fan of the game?
You didn't miss anything. The best parts were the short interviews with the Bioware guys, but they mostly said the cookie-cutter shit like, "you have choices" and "inspired by old-school sci-fi."

It was just like the Halo Sci vs. Fi. For the most part it was minor celebrities talking about how they love the game. Stupid.

Phthisis

I disagree about Kaidan in combat. The spell that comes along with the Medicine stat is super powerful and useful against organics.

I might have to use him more in my next playthrough. I used Garrus and Ashley for the most part, and will probably romance Liara this time and probably bring Wrex with us.To much biotics though. Kaiden does have a lot going for him in terms of support though. I'll probably just wait to use him until my Insanity mode playthrough, which is probably the only time there I will find the game difficult enough to rely upon his skills.

Just beat the game.
Took about 22 hours (the load screen counter doesn't seem to be accurate).
Got to level 44.
Did about 40/60 side-quests.

This game definitely has its flaws (currency is worthless, technical issues, battles become too easy half way through the game, etc). but overall it's a fantastic game.

I loved the ending, so badass. Can't wait for ME2.

Zen

Banned
I love this game.

The Lamonster said:
You didn't miss anything. The best parts were the short interviews with the Bioware guys, but they mostly said the cookie-cutter shit like, "you have choices" and "inspired by old-school sci-fi."

It was just like the Halo Sci vs. Fi. For the most part it was minor celebrities talking about how they love the game. Stupid.

I watched a teaser version of it and some of the quotes were just out there.

"Mass Effect is all about choice, because it isn't a game, it's an interactive peice of fiction. If you didn't like the narrative, it's not because the narrative sucked, it's because you sucked, and that's a lot of responsibility." :lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
medze said:

No it was basically a 30 min commercial for the game, not worth watching.

medze

The Lamonster said:

Thanks, I had kind of figured as much after seeing "Rampage" Jackson in the preview for the special but as I'm currently addicted to this game, I was still somewhat intrigued...

Seriously... I'm addicted to ME... I have a problem

Shinjitsu

Banned
medze said:
Thanks, I had kind of figured as much after seeing "Rampage" Jackson in the preview for the special but as I'm currently addicted to this game, I was still somewhat intrigued...

I've just finished my 3rd play threw on insanity, 5th play threw overall, don't talk about addiction!=)

medze said:
me too. I got sick because of lack of sleep. It was bad.

medze said:
exxxxxxxxxxxxxactly. Although Chobot is always a win.

medze

Well that makes me feel a bit better! I'm only on my third but I got a bit of a late start on it. Actually, it took about an hour in until I was hooked. Up until that point, it hadn't really drawn me in completely, didn't play for a day then picked it back up... and that's when it all went downhill :lol

I was playing when my roommate left for work and when he got home, I was still playing... 12 hours later...

Zen

Banned
Phthisis said:
Reporter: There are rumors that you're tracking down a rogue Spectre named Saren. Is there any truth to this?
Shepard: I'm tired of your snooty insinuations *right cross*
Reporter: You bitch!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Being a renegade makes this game so fucking funny sometimes.

Yeah it was an error. I edited my post to make it accurate.

I was using him on
Liara's dig site
and you know what one of his lines about the Prothean tower is?

"The tiles in the holes of that tower remind me of a bathroom floor."

ORLY Kaidan? Really? Thank you SO MUCH for your VALUABLE INSIGHT into this incredibly dangerous mission. I have NO IDEA what I would do WITHOUT YOU.

I'm also making sure that I rip Ashley and Kaidan a new asshole verbally everytime I talk to them in my second play through (Ashley for being so damned confusing in courtship and Kaidan for being Kaidan).

I was a fucking idiot. Welll I was conflicted. When it came to the Wrex
conversation, I had enough charisma to save him, but felt one of my other answers was more appropreate to the character. I was shocked when Ashley shot Wrex in the back, and than killed him on the ground with no emotion on her face. I had jut had a conversation with her where a few hours earlier she laid her racism bare, andthat just stuck with me. I conceded some of her points, but she still had some deeply seeded Xenophobia. I know deep down that she enjoyed killing Wrex. So when it came down to choosing between Kaiden and Ashley, I let Ashley die. Now in retrospect, I suppose she would make the more interesting character to have in a party, if everything does carry over to ME2.

Asari > Human, as far as love interest stuff goes. My character is a girl. Though Kaiden was nothing more than a friend, and Ashley was a bigeot, so Alien Lesbo sex it is, which fit very well with what my 'character' was like in my head. But going into the ins and outs of her personality would be a waste of time (yes I play Pen n Paper RPGs...)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
How many people know for 100% sure they are going to play this game at least twice.

Right now I am trying to play as myself.
I saved Wrex and let Cath die

But I am going back and going rogue for sure..

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Blackace said:
How many people know for 100% sure they are going to play this game at least twice.

I'm going to play through it at least three times. I beat it once already as a male Vanguard going for all Paragon choices:
saved Wrex, let Kaidan die, had sex with the blue alien girl, saved the council
. I'm going through it now as a female Soldier making all Renegade choices:
will probably let Wrex die unless I can succeed with intimidate, let Kaidan die again, have sex with the human girl and let the council die
. After I finish that I intend to do a "new game+" with one of my characters, play it on hardcore and try to max out my level and equipment. I may even go through it a fourth time if the "Insane" difficulty setting makes the game much more interesting, but I doubt it.

medze

Blackace said:

You'll surely play this at least twice, especially once you finish it. The ending, and a lot of the choices you make in the game, almost require a second playthrough just to see the "other side".

Maybe I missed something major, or went brain-dead every time I played through but I cannot remember a conflict with
Wrex other than on Virmire with the whole Saren curing the genophage thing. When does this conflict occur between Wrex and Ashley? When I meet him in the citadel in C-Sec (after seeing him in Chora's Den), he always gives me the the talk about how he's taking down Fist too and how people with a common enemy are his friends.
Is there something I need to do/not do first to see this conflict or is the conflict everyone is referring to the one on
Virmire
?

Blackace

medze said:
You'll surely play this at least twice, especially once you finish it. The ending, and a lot of the choices you make in the game, almost require a second playthrough just to see the "other side".

Maybe I missed something major, or went brain-dead every time I played through but I cannot remember a conflict with
Wrex other than on Virmire with the whole Saren curing the genophage thing. When does this conflict occur between Wrex and Ashley? When I meet him in the citadel in C-Sec (after seeing him in Chora's Den), he always gives me the the talk about how he's taking down Fist too and how people with a common enemy are his friends.
Is there something I need to do/not do first to see this conflict or is the conflict everyone is referring to the one on
Virmire
?

Vimire. If you let it get out of hand she kills him. Happened in my buddy's game last night...

Phthisis

Blackace said:

I'm already 15 hours into my second playthrough, and I know I'll be playing through one more time to show a friend.

I beat it the first time in 40 hours across 4 and a half days. The game has hooks.

medze

Blackace said:
Vimire. If you let it get out of hand she kills him. Happened in my buddy's game last night...

Ok that's where I got confused. Using both
Charm and Intimidate, on seperate playthroughs, I was able to remedy the situation. Planning on picking [Shoot him] this time, I just didn't realize Ashley was involved in this at all. I guess she just pops in at that point and seals the deal so to speak.:lol

I always avoided this option before, I think we all know Wrex > Ashley

Rorschach

Jugendstil said:
I definitely agree with the Kaidan hate. He just sucks. He isn't even cool looking or interesting. At least Ashley is kind of a bitch, which is funny. Kaidan is just boring. Like others have said, why would you waste time with him when you can have cool aliens in your party instead?
He looks and talks like Matt Dilllon. :p He falls in with the biotics side story. Ashley is such a bitch that I wanted her to die, but I depended on her soldier skills. :( She was a juggernaut.

Whenever I would go talk to him, it was kind of weird how he and Sheppard looked at each other. I guess it's for the people that make a female, but it's totally funny when you make a guy. I thought I would sex him in the end. :lol

Blackace

medze said:
Ok that's where I got confused. Using both
Charm and Intimidate, on seperate playthroughs, I was able to remedy the situation. Planning on picking [Shoot him] this time, I just didn't realize Ashley was involved in this at all. I guess she just pops in at that point and seals the deal so to speak.:lol

I always avoided this option before, I think we all know Wrex > Ashley

don't know how it happens to be honest. All I know is my friend was pissed and let Ash die because of it! haha

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Carth was only annoying when he went all emo, Kaidan annoys me just by existing... big difference, imo

even at the end of the game, i still think he's as useless as his partner in the beginning of the game

arhra

Zefah said:
I'm going through it now as a female Soldier making all Renegade choices:
will probably let Wrex die unless I can succeed with intimidate, let Kaidan die again,
have sex with the human girl
and let the council die
I don't think Ashley does girls :(

SpudBud

DopeyFish said:
Carth was only annoying when he went all emo, Kaidan annoys me just by existing... big difference, imo

even at the end of the game, i still think he's as useless as his partner in the beginning of the game
I would have taken Jenkins over Kaidan. The kid had spunk.

Shinjitsu

Banned
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
Does anyone know how many side quest there are in the game?
After finishing the game five times, I still don't have an accurate count, You get different quests depending on your background. =P

And other times depending on how drunk I am, I will find a few or miss a few. :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I think I'm doing something wrong. I'm about 8 hours in, at the
ice station. I got to the end boss woman, and it's absolutely kicking the crap out of me. I can manage to get through the first 3 waves, then talk to the woman, but the last wave is unstoppable for me. My guys are all around level 14... is this too low to be trying to take out this boss? Should I go and find some side quests? Or do I just suck at combat?

FlyinJ said:
Ok, I think I'm doing something wrong. I'm about 8 hours in, at the
ice station. I got to the end boss woman, and it's absolutely kicking the crap out of me. I can manage to get through the first 3 waves, then talk to the woman, but the last wave is unstoppable for me. My guys are all around level 14... is this too low to be trying to take out this boss? Should I go and find some side quests? Or do I just suck at combat?

You're not doing anything wrong.
The game up to that fight is incredibly hard.
After that, its incredibly easy.
IMO.

traveler

Not Wario
I think I'm doing too many of the side quests or something. I'm 23 hours in, at level 37, and haven't done anything past Noveria. (The fight mentioned above was pretty easy- Master Singularity FTW) :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
DevelopmentArrested said:
IMO.

Well, how am I supposed to pass this?
No matter where I run, 10 things are shooting my squad, plus everyone is shooting stun at me... within 3 seconds everyone is dead

Blackace

DevelopmentArrested said:
IMO.

I picked the ice planet first was like lvl14... almost through my controller out the window :lol :lol

traveler

Not Wario
Blackace said:
I picked the ice planet first was like lvl14... almost through my controller out the window :lol :lol

Yeah, I'm definitely doing too much of the optional stuff. I was lvl. 36 at that part. :lol

Shinjitsu said:
After finishing the game five times, I still don't have an accurate count, You get different quests depending on your background. =P

And other times depending on how drunk I am, I will find a few or miss a few. :D

well im a good guy and a hero and ive done 46 just wondering because im at the last mission and i dont wanna do it if there are more side missions.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Phthisis said:
Noveria is considered to be the third place you're "supposed" to go. Dig site -> Feros -> Noveria.

Ah ok. Strange, how it's the first one you get to on the map. Is there anywhere in the game that alludes to this?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Blackace said:

I finished up a fourth playthrough today on Insanity difficulty, figured I'd take a break. Fifteen minutes later I was rolling a new soldier character to play through the game again. The classes and the combat are diverse enough to make multiple playthroughs viable, not to mention going paragon one time, renegade the next, different party makeups, etc.

VALIS

Rorschach said:
Nope. Her religion doesn't allow it!

Was that her official answer? Anyone try coming onto her with a female? Does she... does she waiver and hesitate and seem to consider it for a second until turning down the offer? If so, HOT. And I'm doing that on one of my next play throughs. "I know you want it, Ashley. I know you want my pussy. Your bigotry is just a front. Just a mask for your true feelings. Deep down you're a dirty little whore who wants my pussy real bad. Isn't that Right, Ashley? Isn't that r..."

Oh, am I still typing this? Heh. *cough* Ahem.

Mindlog

OK, I'm only level 25 or so, but I can come to the conclusion.

Microsoft just needs to stop dicking around with Blue Dragon & Lost Odyssey. If they can do those things, great.

However, we definitely need more Mass Effects.

Don't really care if Mass Effect 2 is multiplatform myself, just get it done ASAP please :eek:

Blackace said:

I didn't find that part that hard really. Beat it on the second try. I had Wrex and Kali on my team, and I was a biotic.

Blackace

Mindlog said:
OK, I'm only level 25 or so, but I can come to the conclusion.

Microsoft just needs to stop dicking around with Blue Dragon & Lost Odyssey. If they can do those things, great.

However, we definitely need more Mass Effects.

Don't really care if Mass Effect 2 is multiplatform myself, just get it done ASAP please :eek:

If I am Microsoft I am on the phone with Obsidian right now... chances are the EA effect will be taking place in Bioware

(Microsoft owns Mass Effect..so MP isn't happening)

Blackace

IronicallyTwisted said:
I didn't find that part that hard really. Beat it on the second try. I had Wrex and Kali on my team, and I was a biotic.

Was it the first planet? I am the mixed biotic the vagasomething...

They really need to change the way Liara behaves the next game or at least your asari party member. Because lets be honest it gets annoying when she spends the whole game yelling "no we are not the the whores of space!" or something similar like that.

Blackace said:
If I am Microsoft I am on the phone with Obsidian right now... chances are the EA effect will be taking place in Bioware

Huh? I thought bioware owned mass effect IP. But then again an ME game by obsidian would be nice as long as bioware lets them in on the overall storyline.

Zen

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Well, how am I supposed to pass this?
No matter where I run, 10 things are shooting my squad, plus everyone is shooting stun at me... within 3 seconds everyone is dead

Stay in the middle and kill
Benizia
I used Marksman, and Noveria was the first planet I went to. Stay in the area closest to the alien creature, let one or two of the units rush you, they'll probably end up killing your men, resurrect them and have a heal ready. If you're an engineer, use your sabotage or dampening skills to take them out quickly. After that point, provided you're able to use parts of the middle for cover, catch your breath, then pick a side and take out whoever is immediately at that side. I killed the unit right by the door where I first came in, if you're close enough into that door enemies will have a hard time hitting you. Use your specter resurrect as necessary. You might have to eal with a geth Sniper across from you on the other side of the room, sniper rifle him. Things should be realitively easy if you follow this. I only had the Turians and Quarian with me, so I wasn't exactly packing the heat, and my character is an infiltrator.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Blackace said:

What? I thought Bioware owned Mass Effect.

GS: People are now wondering what is happening with some of your properties, specifically Mass Effect, which is due out next month. That's a wholly owned BioWare property, correct?

GZ: Yes, it is, and it's almost done.
Ray and I have both played it! There's other stuff too, there's Dragon Age, there's the Sonic RPG we're making with Sega, there's what we're doing down in Austin, and some other secret stuff as well.

GS: Right, but Mass Effect was billed as being this big booster for Microsoft's publishing efforts and as one of the biggest Xbox 360 exclusives. Will it remain a 360 exclusive?

RM: Microsoft is a great partner, a great publishing partner, and we're really excited to work with them. And we love the 360. One of the things we've talked about is getting multiple iterations of this franchises out during its lifetime, since it's such a great system to work with. And we see Microsoft as a long-term partner on Mass Effect.

GS: Will Microsoft be publishing future iterations of Mass Effect or will EA be publishing it itself?

GZ: We can't predict the future. We'll see what happens. The key thing is we're making a trilogy of Mass Effect games, and we've got a great story arc.

RM: I think people should check it out and just focus on the first game. The team's efforts are going to shine through, since it's an amazing, amazing experience.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180866.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6180866

Top Bottom