• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

pilonv1

Finally went to the planet with Liara at around level 30 and had a chance to use my Sniper Rifle. I'm really enjoying it now, it's still gimped early though.

Phthisis

Dechaios said:
How the hell am I supposed to find Tsoni's dig site?! So many random planets!

It's marked on your galaxy map as "Liara'a dig site." Usually all star systems have only one planet you can land on, and there are only a couple of star systems per cluster. You'll know which one it is when you check your map; the area you can drive will be linear and not a wide open terrain.

Feint331

Hs2000 said:
Get your intimidate and charm stats to max. It will open up new dialogue options that will allow you to
influence Wrex to side with you

you can always do the
wrex family armor quest so you don't have to waste points. irc its Argos Rho > phenix (?) > Tuntau

hyp

snack said:
My character is a Vanguard, and it says I unlocked the ability to equip Medium Armor. However, it won't let me equip it? What is the deal?

you sure you're not trying to equip krogan/other species armor?

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
This game holds no challenge for my massively overpowered shock trooper shepard.

The assault rifles start off pretty balanced at first... then you get the later ones, and they're just totally imbalanced.

Pakman

snack said:
My character is a Vanguard, and it says I unlocked the ability to equip Medium Armor. However, it won't let me equip it? What is the deal?

Odd, I can't think of anything that would be preventing you from equipping it once you unlocked it. The only thing I could think of is that you're trying to equip Taurian/Krogan medium armor instead of human armor - but I doubt you're making that mistake. Even if it's some bug I wouldn't worry about it. When I finished the game at level 50, I actually had light and medium armor that had better stats than my best heavy armor for my Soldier.

Crayon Shinchan said:
This game holds no challenge for my massively overpowered shock trooper shepard.

The assault rifles start off pretty balanced at first... then you get the later ones, and they're just totally imbalanced.

Very true. Once you get the
specter
weapons, you rifle has virtually no recoil and can basically shoot for 2 minutes without overheating.

2 quick questions:

1) Once I land on
Ilos
I've reached the point of no return correct?

2) Are the side-quests really worth doing? I've done 26, have 17 to do and need to find 17 more.

AniHawk

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
You get her after you complete the dig site mission.
Thanks.

I went to Feros, ran into a dead end. Now I'm after the Matriarch. Level 17 and still holding up. Something tells me I probably shouldn't've gone after her FIRST though.

Pakman said:
Odd, I can't think of anything that would be preventing you from equipping it once you unlocked it. The only thing I could think of is that you're trying to equip Taurian/Krogan medium armor instead of human armor - but I doubt you're making that mistake. Even if it's some bug I wouldn't worry about it. When I finished the game at level 50, I actually had light and medium armor that had better stats than my best heavy armor for my Soldier.

Very true. Once you get the
specter
weapons, you rifle has virtually no recoil and can basically shoot for 2 minutes without overheating.
Yeah, I was making that mistake.

Big-E

DevelopmentArrested said:
2 quick questions:

1) Once I land on
Ilos

2) Are the side-quests really worth doing? I've done 26, have 17 to do and need to find 17 more.

1) Yes

2) I would only say stick with the sidequests if you care about achievements. If they don't matter to you then go ahead and beat the game.

Darkman M

2 quick questions:

1) Once I land on
Ilos

1. Yep

2. Only if you care about powerleveling and achievements.

Phthisis

Some of them are really interesting because they reveal the
Cerberus
back story, which I feel will probably have a role to play in the sequels.

AniHawk said:
Thanks.

I went to Feros, ran into a dead end. Now I'm after the Matriarch. Level 17 and still holding up. Something tells me I probably shouldn't've gone after her FIRST though.

Yeah, you're doing the hard one now. Although the game will let you choose whichever order you want to complete those 3 planets in, it's kinda clear that they intended for you to go to the dig site first, then Feros, and lastly Noveria.

Yeah, you're doing the hard one now. Although the game will let you choose whichever order you want to complete those 3 planets in, it's kinda clear that they intended for you to go to the dig site first, then Feros, and lastly Noveria.

I did Noveria first, as an low level infiltrator.. I swear it took about 50 attempts

Phthisis

There is a lot of stuff in this game that I would like to explore based on some of the planetary descriptions from the galaxy map. For example, I'm willing to bet that the Leviathan of Dis is an ancient downed
Reaper
. And then several planetary scans allude to solid, geometric objects below the gas surface of some planets, but it says when ships get closer, those objects sink away and were never seen again.

It drives me nuts not knowing the answers to those questions, and I hope BioWare has plans to reveal some of the mysteries, even though they have nothing to do with the story.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I think Noveria is in the paragon position in that dialog, so it's kind of misleading.

Red Blaster said:
Wait a minute, I can't do sex with Liara as a male Shephard?
Shepard*

And, yes, you can have sex with her.

Phthisis said:
There is a lot of stuff in this game that I would like to explore based on some of the planetary descriptions from the galaxy map. For example, I'm willing to bet that the Leviathan of Dis is an ancient downed
Reaper
. And then several planetary scans allude to solid, geometric objects below the gas surface of some planets, but it says when ships get closer, those objects sink away and were never seen again.

It drives me nuts not knowing the answers to those questions, and I hope BioWare has plans to reveal some of the mysteries, even though they have nothing to do with the story.
I'm sure the upcoming Episodic Content will go into a lot of things.

beerbelly

Banned
I can't stop playing!!!! I skipped my one and only class today just to play. Sad. But I need help. I turned into a Spectre yesterday and decided to roam around Feros and Nervan (I forgot the name, but it's the area with Matriarch Benezia) without locating the individual that the Ambassador and my captain suggested to look for. And now I'm thinking i'm under-leveled to be able to beat Benezia. I can finish off the first round of enemies fine but after the long speech I always end dying in less than a minute. What is the strategy to beat her?

Btw, I just found out I could upgrade my weapons...made battles so much easier. WOW.

watership

MaizeRage25 said:
I'm pretty sure you can, don't know why that poster said you can't.

Because the game is so different if you play it differently. I didn't even know you could melee guys until i started my second run through.

I was wondering, how did you guys do the Liara mission? When I got to the top of the hill leading up to the site I was faced with a walking Geth tank who 1 shotted me every time in like 2 seconds. I couldn't even run for cover. I tried doing the fight over like 10 times with the same result so, I went back down to where the Mako was and glitched it through, rode it up there, and kicked some ass.

Also, when you guys say the terrain in the side quest planets is not randomly generated, do you say that because it's the same every time you play? Because that's not what I mean when I say it's randomly generated. I mean it looks like some guy used a tool to generate the surface of the planet with a couple of textures blended in and used that in the game.

orio7

Banned
I have had it with this game. Got killed by a big Reaper or whatever that thing was and now I have to start from the begining of the planet. WTF was Bioware thinking with that "car" driving stuff?

Does anyone know what the last
Cerberus
planet is. where i can find the like main boss i guess in their is one.

also how many side missions are there i completed 46

Oni Link 666 said:
I was wondering, how did you guys do the Liara mission? When I got to the top of the hill leading up to the site I was faced with a walking Geth tank who 1 shotted me every time in like 2 seconds. I couldn't even run for cover. I tried doing the fight over like 10 times with the same result so, I went back down to where the Mako was and glitched it through, rode it up there, and kicked some ass.

Bring Wrex or Kaiden, stasis the tank while you run for cover. Certain tech abilities will also stun it for a short period of time, i think.

2 comments:

1) Is it just me or is money basically worthless in this game? I have millions to spend, nothing to buy. Is there a great shop I'm missing?

2) Music in this game rocks.

The sidequests are growing kind of stale. I have some kind of deficiency where I simply have to complete everything that's thrown at me before progressing through the story. And as the game constantly throws sidequests in your face I do one after another. Kinda sucks playing the game like this because you really notice how samey the sidequests are. The backstory behind the missions might be different each time but ultimately they always amount to the same thing. Except for this one time with the cult. And thank god for that, fighting biotics sucks.

The combat itself is quite fun but I wish these missions were more varied. After a while you get the "another underground facility that looks just like the others, protected by turrets and filled with a bunch of enemies after the third door, woohoo..." syndrom and have to take a break from the monotony of it.

It's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, it's just that you get sidequested out after a while. Easily remedied by simply leaving the sidequests alone for a while. But I can't!

Phthisis said:
-Kaidan: must be female Shepard. Not really sure I care how to go about sleeping with him. I have a weird irrational hatred of his character, and I don't know why.
Haha. Me too. For some reason he elicits primal feelings of hatred.

Oni Link 666 said:
I made like a chicken and hid behind the containers whilst ocassionally stepping out to lay down fire on the weaker enemies. Unlike the Armatures they're mobile and will gnaw away your health unless you deal with them. The Armatures can't reach you behind the containers. Shepard and myself were poorly developed in the art of combat, so it was pretty hairy. The Armatures are fairly easy once you've disposed of the lesser, more bothersome foes though. Just make sure to avoid their balls.

I also threw a lot of grenades. Think that helped some, didn't really notice as I was panicking. Twas my first real fight basically, so a bit of luck was probably involved too.

Fusebox

Banned
Kaidan is just... I never even bothered to take him out, and then when I heard
he's cheaply made and prone to spazzes
I gave up on him altogether.

I've been using Ashley and Garrus pretty much exlusively.

jet1911 said:
Speaking of that I've just notice that you can detonate the grenades if you press back again.

Woah, how long you been playing? I think we need to sticky the entire manual somewhere in this forum, lol.

Phthisis

Reporter: There are rumors that you're tracking down a rogue Spectre named Saren. Is there any truth to this?
Shepard: I'm tired of your snooty insinuations *right cross*
Reporter: You bitch!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Being a renegade makes this game so fucking funny sometimes.

MaizeRage25 said:
I'm pretty sure you can, don't know why that poster said you can't.

Yeah it was an error. I edited my post to make it accurate.

Haha. Me too. For some reason he elicits primal feelings of hatred.

I was using him on
Liara's dig site
and you know what one of his lines about the Prothean tower is?

"The tiles in the holes of that tower remind me of a bathroom floor."

ORLY Kaidan? Really? Thank you SO MUCH for your VALUABLE INSIGHT into this incredibly dangerous mission. I have NO IDEA what I would do WITHOUT YOU.

I'm also making sure that I rip Ashley and Kaidan a new asshole verbally everytime I talk to them in my second play through (Ashley for being so damned confusing in courtship and Kaidan for being Kaidan).

For ME 2 the need to make the thrusters balance you out in the air and not thrust you in the direction your tilting, that way they could be useful jumping over shit.

2 comments:

1) Is it just me or is money basically worthless in this game? I have millions to spend, nothing to buy. Is there a great shop I'm missing?

2) Music in this game rocks.

1) I just blew nearly 1 million credits on Spectre weapons

2) Yes, it does

I randomly noticed I could mount a box in one of the underground facilities. I have no idea what good it does, but it was a very neat experience. I was like totally higher up than the other people on the same floor.

Does this fill some sort of purpose somewhere?

Phthisis said:
I was using him on and you know what one of his lines about the Prothean tower is?

"The tiles in the holes of that tower remind me of a bathroom floor."

ORLY Kaidan? Really? Thank you SO MUCH for your VALUABLE INSIGHT into this incredibly dangerous mission. I have NO IDEA what I would do WITHOUT YOU.

I'm also making sure that I rip Ashley and Kaidan a new asshole verbally everytime I talk to them in my second play through (Ashley for being so damned confusing in courtship and Kaidan for being Kaidan).
I usually try not to bring him along as I hate him. But I like to walk up to him on the Normandy, start a conversation and then interrupt him with a "Goodbye" or whatnot when he starts talking, hoping that it scars him mentally.

Phthisis

VibratingDonkey said:
I randomly noticed I could mount a box in one of the underground facilities. I have no idea what good it does, but it was a very neat experience. I was like totally higher up than the other people on the same floor.

Does this fill some sort of purpose somewhere?

Occasionally here are loot containers up on a pile of crates or boxes.

MMaRsu

I was talking with a friend couple days ago on XBL about how Kaiden is so much like Carth Onasi..

I'm sure you all remember him..

.%5CGaleria%5CAnkiety%5C803943531.jpg

bh7812

Banned
I was able to rent this yesterday...all I can say is WOW. Excellent game. My impressions would sound like everyone else's who have been impressed with the game. Graphics are some of the best I've seen period. Production values are through the roof. The story is great too..I love the idea of the Codec, the amount of background and side story in this thing will make your head spin. I put in 3 hours yesterday and 6 today. I just now had to tear myself away from it for now. Really great experience so far! I'm trying to play through as much as I can before I have to return it on Sun.

I wanted to point out that I am seeing some slow down in spots but it's definitely not anything that will make the game unplayable or un-enjoyable by any means. If you stuck it out through the first Knights Of The Old Republic's slowdown in spots and enjoyed it like I did this one will be no problem. ME is even more polished than that game in fact. The load times are very acceptable. When I was reading up on this game they made it sound like the load times are a nightmare. Definitely not I'm finding them more than bearable.

Overall, GREAT game. Kudos to Bioware! I'm thinking I'll slap this game on my Christmas list :)

pilonv1

SpudBud said:
I think all the Kaidan hate stems from everyone's hatred of Carth.

:lol Definitely. Plus why would you want another weakass human in your squad when you can have Wrex and a sexy lady/alien?

I definitely agree with the Kaidan hate. He just sucks. He isn't even cool looking or interesting. At least Ashley is kind of a bitch, which is funny. Kaidan is just boring. Like others have said, why would you waste time with him when you can have cool aliens in your party instead?

Top Bottom