• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

GilloD said:
I Gamefly'ed it (First person to give me a lecture gets a lifetime ban from MY MEMORY), so no manual. I just hate the way controls are relative to the turret/camera, but the turret doesn't really center easily. A "Center Turret" button would have done wonders.
In case you were still wondering about the controls: Lstick drives, Rstick looks, Rstick click zooms twice, A jumps, X returns to Normandy, B exits, Y does nothing I think, Ltrigger does nothing I think, Rtrigger shoots, RB missles, LB nothing I think.

I've had no trouble with the Mako controls, especially after I figured out that clicking the Right stick zoomed in. After that it was gravy.

So, those giant snake thingies that pop out of the ground and shoot acid at you. I've managed to kill one using the Mako but it was a long drawn out process. are there any easier ways to kill these things?

widgetraf

GalaxyBird said:
So, those giant snake thingies that pop out of the ground and shoot acid at you. I've managed to kill one using the Mako but it was a long drawn out process. are there any easier ways to kill these things?

I don't think they are supposed to be killed. Is there a reward/quest for killing them?

yukoner

GalaxyBird said:

If you're using your rockets it's only about 7 or 8 shots, pretty easy.

widgetraf said:
I don't think they are supposed to be killed. Is there a reward/quest for killing them?
Yes it's a quest. Hopefully you know about the RB cannon button. I've only seen one in my experience and took it down quickly.

yukoner

The Lamonster said:
In case you were still wondering about the controls: Lstick drives, Rstick looks, Rstick click zooms twice, A jumps, X returns to Normandy, B exits, Y does nothing I think, Ltrigger does nothing I think, Rtrigger shoots, RB missles, LB nothing I think.

Y repairs the Mako, which renders it unmoveable.

Phthisis

widgetraf said:

Yeah they are; they also give good experience. Just pump them full of cannon fire interspersed with the machine gun while the cannon cools down.

Also, as to the party question: I used Ashley and Tali my first playthrough (I was a vanguard). Ashley had maxed out sniper and AR stats, as wlel as maxed fitness, so she was a tank that was adaptable for every situation (long range and short range encounters). Also she fucked Shepard, so he wanted her close all the time.

Tali is super useful for the story planets; max her AI hacking skill and you can pretty much sit back and watch your enemies destroy themselves.

NJ Shlice

GalaxyBird said:

You don't kill them as much as you force them back into hiding. You get a ton of money if you just stay there and fight them until their energy goes all the way down.

The trick to them (Thresher Maw) is that there is a sweet spot, where if you sit there the Thresher will not go back underground and you can just pund him.

So everytime he pops up, stand still and find him. Shoot your rocket. If he stays above ground just stay in one spot and jump (A button) over his Acid Spit and just keep jumping and shooting.

Shinjitsu

Banned
U K Narayan said:
I wish there was something similar to the Gambit system in this.

The AI is horrible garbage in Mass Effect.

A large part of the problem is the squad commands, If you could give orders to each party member it would work a lot better. When I send Wrex in for close combat, I don't want Liara right In the middle of the action with him. :D

Shinjitsu said:
A large part of the problem is the squad commands, If you could give orders to each party member it would work a lot better. When I send Wrex in for close combat, I don't want Liara right In the middle of the action with him. :D
Hence a Gambit* system. It would really work in this.

*Final Fantasy XII

bran said:
Fuck, I'm level 37 and I accidentally beat the game....
Don't know why I found this funny, but I did. :lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Hence a Gambit* system. It would really work in this.

*Final Fantasy XII

I know what the gambit system is, I don't want Mass Effect to play it's self :lol
I just want to be able to give individual orders to each squad member.

DarkKyo

When do I get to bone a blue alien chick? At the start of the game
I totally owned up for the consort(did two favors) and I just got a trinket!

I mean, come on!

Darkman M

Shinjitsu said:
I know what the gambit system is, I don't want Mass Effect to play it's self :lol
I just want to be able to give individual orders to each squad member.

Agreed a gambit system for this game would break all thats fun about the combat, ponce you level the right skills up and get the right ammunition you're party can just run over everything with the right set up.

Dechaios said:
When do I get to bone a blue alien chick? At the start of the game
I totally owned up for the consort(did two favors) and I just got a trinket!

I mean, come on!
lol You don't bone the consort.

But seriously, what the hell does she do to "amuse" her "costumers"? I don't thinks she's a ho is she!? *_*

L0st Id3ntity said:

But seriously, what the hell does she do to "amuse" her "costumers"? I don't thinks she's a ho is she!? *_*
Probably, but it isn't as trashy as it is in human terms. It's all in the mind with the Consort.

DarkKyo

L0st Id3ntity said:

Really? I could have sworn I saw it happen in a video. She gave her speech to sheppard about who he is and then they got it on, lol.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Actually you can have sex with the consort. That's where the infamous "Mass Effect sex scene" came from. Need to give renegade responses to get there.

besada

Banned
People must be playing with different team AI than I am. My guys frequently kill small packs of enemies before I even have time to get my reticle on top of someone, and when they don't it's because they were too bust Lifting them for my easy shots.

TekunoRobby said:
Actually you can have sex with the consort. That's where the infamous "Mass Effect sex scene" came from. Need to give renegade responses to get there.
I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. The youtube videos of the sex scene show Liana, another Asari (the same race as the consort).

TekunoRobby said:
That's not the consort.

Edit: Yeah, later on the game mention how Asaris mate, it's not physical contact IIRC.

Fusebox

Banned
andrewfee said:
I'm actually surprised at this, I thought most people's experience would be the same as mine. So far I've been to 10+ planets, and I've only seen three different kinds of area. (I want to apologise, as I rushed things and these pictures turned out terrible)

I do get what you're saying, but was just clarifying your terms. You are not 'grinding' in the classic gaming sense of the term, you're simply playing a repetitive game.

Shinjitsu

Banned
besada said:
People must be playing with different team AI than I am. My guys frequently kill small packs of enemies before I even have time to get my reticle on top of someone, and when they don't it's because they were too bust Lifting them for my easy shots.

Are you playing on normal?

The squad AI falls apart in the higher difficulty levels, when things can frequently one shot you and your squad mates (I'm looking at you Krogans!). It's not game breaking, just VERY frustrating at times.

besada

Banned
Shinjitsu said:
Are you playing on normal?

The squad AI falls apart in the higher difficulty levels, when things can frequently one shot you and your squad mates (I'm looking at you Krogans!). It's not game breaking, just VERY frustrating at times.

That must be it, then. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

X26

Banned
About doing the dirty with the consort, spoiler tagged just in case

Asari's mate differently, but the job of the consort and her assistants is to relieve stress in a variety of ways, and one of course would be doing the dirty in a way that is more comfortable with the client than some mind connectiveness. First playthrough I went renegede, and all I got to do was the consort

besada

Banned
Saya said:
Is there any way to save Wrex? Do you have to pick renegade choices?

Yes, because I finished the game with Wrex. No idea how I did it, because I didn't know he was supposed to die. And I wasn't Renegade. I was high Paragon with heavy charm.

Saya

besada said:
Yes, because I finished the game with Wrex. No idea how I did it, because I didn't know he was supposed to die.

Cool, thanks! I'll do that on my second playthrough. :D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Wow, I'm getting
my ass kicked on that one part where you meet Matriarc Benezia and she sends hordes of Asari Commandos and Geth every time I kill a couple.
It's really starting to
piss me off because they come from all sides; sometimes even in the corner that I'm in out of nowhere.
I can get
through the first wave of two Asari Commandos no problem, but the second wave destroys me every time.

Any tips? :(

P.S. I'm a Vanguard. I don't know if that's vital info or not in order to help me out.

Darkman M

besada said:
She locks her door after you complete her quest and leave, though.

Upon completing it is when you should get the scene as a reward, i dont think it's an actual love scene like with Ash or liaria though.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
you dont have to use intimidation to have sex scene with her. I got to do it on both my replays. I believe all you have to do is after receiving the trinket you select "is that all i get?" or something along that line.

and scene

Darkman M

Speculator said:
you dont have to use intimidation to have sex scene with her. I got to do it on both my replays. I believe all you have to do is after receiving the trinket you select "is that all i get?" or something along that line.

and scene

Yeah that would be renegade dialog.

MMaRsu

Domino Theory said:
Wow, I'm getting
my ass kicked on that one part where you meet Matriarc Benezia and she sends hordes of Asari Commandos and Geth every time I kill a couple.
It's really starting to
piss me off because they come from all sides; sometimes even in the corner that I'm in out of nowhere.
I can get
through the first wave of two Asari Commandos no problem, but the second wave destroys me every time.

P.S. I'm a Vanguard. I don't know if that's vital info or not in order to help me out.

What level are you? I got my ass kicked there a few times myself.

Dante

I'm early in the game, but I'll take cover at a doorway, and my squadmates will stand in said doorway blocking my view. When I send them into the room they tend to get killed rather fast. Maybe i have to go through some tutorials and figure out what I am doing wrong.

Phthisis

Domino Theory said:
Wow, I'm getting
It's really starting to
I can get

The biggest problem on that part is
Benezia herself, who takes massively powerwful potshots at you while you try and fight her guards. What you should do is position yourself behind one of the huge metal pillars around the outside of the room so she can't see you. She'll waste all her time trying to shot you and use biotics but she won't be able to hit you. In the meantime, you should be using lift, overload, grenades and AI hacking to take out the guards from afar
. Hope that helps.

Also, here's a quick and dirty sex FAQ:

-Asari consort on the Citadel: choose the renegade answers after completing the initial quest with Septimus (or alternatively, return to her quarters later in the game if you chose the paragon answers)

-Liara: male or female Shepard. Talk to her on the Normandy frequently (and it seems you should be choosing paragon answers more often than not)

-Ashley: must be male Shepard. There's really no help here as Ashley is a wishy-washy woman who has no idea what she wants. Sometimes you have to choose paragon, sometimes you have to choose renegade.

-Kaidan: must be female Shepard. Not really sure I care how to go about sleeping with him. I have a weird irrational hatred of his character, and I don't know why.

Domino Theory said:
Wow, I'm getting
It's really starting to
I can get

I got worked as an Infiltrator there for a while, too. It took some tactical changes, but I got through it.
There's no hard cover in the location where you start, so I ended up going onto the low platform that's to the right and down a couple of steps. That way I could pick off the soldiers as they walked up and Benezia couldn't see me or use her powers. After I beat two waves, then I moved to the next corner (right of where you start), and then over the high platform (where you're still shielded by the glass tank from Benezia) to finish things off. Make sure you get powers queued up ASAP when the fight starts to protect yourself from the initial wave, and then once you get down lower you can take your time.

besada

Banned
Dante said:
I'm early in the game, but I'll take cover at a doorway, and my squadmates will stand in said doorway blocking my view. When I send them into the room they tend to get killed rather fast. Maybe i have to go through some tutorials and figure out what I am doing wrong.

Ah, playing a soldier I always breach first, and my ladies (Tali and Liara) follow. They use high-power pistols as their only weapons (with Marksman, of course) and wear so much armor it takes an atom bomb to hurt them. Under those circumstances, they work great for me. I'll see what the second game looks like at a)a harder level and b)with gun-toters as I shall be a Biotic next time.

Hs2000

Banned
Saya said:
Is there any way to save Wrex? Do you have to pick renegade choices?

Get your intimidate and charm stats to max. It will open up new dialogue options that will allow you to
influence Wrex to side with you

besada

Banned
Hs2000 said:
Get your intimidate and charm stats to max. It will open up new dialogue options that will allow you to
influence Wrex to side with you

Oh! That's when it was supposed to happen. High charm.

Top Bottom