• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Mrbob

Yeah I just finished the game as well. Let me echo the holy shit sentiments.

Best RPG of the last 5 years confirmed. Perhaps 360 GOTY too over Crackdown for me.

The ending credits music was cool too.

I bow down to the story telling skills of Bioware. I will be starting a new game again, and I rarely replay games!

I can see myself playing this game multiple times.

For the hell of it I went back to the Citadel and visited Flux again and I just noticed that you could talk to the Volus on the dance floor. I clicked and then watched in horror as John Shepard started shakin' his ass.

John Shepard is a commander, a spectre, a war hero, and tapper of space vagina but for the love of god this man is no dancer and should not be allowed in any club ever again.

Mrbob

Domino Theory said:
You think you can help me on that one? I'm stuck at the part where
Matriarch gives me all this info about Saren, then says "You should die" and goes ape shit on me. Alright, first off all, this place has the worst save points EVER. Seriously, I'm dieing all the time since enemies are all around me, with a psycho bitch in front of me. I die, then *poof* I have to watch that whole shit all over again! :mad:. Any tips on passing this part? I'm a level 17 Vanguard

Do you have any assault rifle or shotgun abilities?

Use them to take her out quickly, hide in the corner, and let the other enemies come to you. Take them out one by one. Hopefully you have shield regeneration as well.

FrankT

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
For the hell of it I went back to the Citadel and visited Flux again and I just noticed that you could talk to the Volus on the dance floor. I clicked and then watched in horror as John Shepard started shakin' his ass.

John Shepard is a commander, a spectre, a war hero, and tapper of space vagina but for the love of god this man is no dancer and should not be allowed in any club ever again.

:lol :lol :lol

KillJade

Banned
quick question. there is a master spectre weapon selling at the c-sec academy that i want so bad. it's 320000 credits though. is there a chance that this will drop in the game? i dont want to spend all that credit just to find it for free later on.

Mrbob

KillJade said:
quick question. there is a master spectre weapon selling at the c-sec academy that i want so bad. it's 320000 credits though. is there a chance that this will drop in the game? i dont want to spend all that credit just to find it for free later on.

I ended my first playthrough with all weapons and just over 8 million credits to spare. Buy it. Nothing comes around better and you won't find it anywhere.

Domino Theory said:
You think you can help me on that one? I'm stuck at the part where
Matriarch gives me all this info about Saren, then says "You should die" and goes ape shit on me. Alright, first off all, this place has the worst save points EVER. Seriously, I'm dieing all the time since enemies are all around me, with a psycho bitch in front of me. I die, then *poof* I have to watch that whole shit all over again! :mad:. Any tips on passing this part? I'm a level 17 Vanguard

Basically I just ordered my guys into cover and laid back behind cover myself. Load up your shotgun with anti-organic weapon mods (or whatever you feel will be most damaging to flesh foes). Don't even bother attacking the Matriarch, and some cover should give you protection from her attacks. If you see Asari at range, pull out your pistol (loaded with your most effective mods) and pick them off at a distance. When they pull in close switch to shotgun. Peek shoot around the corners without using the cover system so you have more mobility, and if they get in to close use lift/throw. When things start to get crazy, take a moment to just use your squad commands to slow down the action, prioritize targets and correct your aim, use commands, then unpause and let off a shot then rinse, wash and repeat to make sure your making the most out of every second that goes by.

KillJade

Banned
Mrbob said:
I ended my first playthrough with all weapons and just over 8 million credits to spare. Buy it. Nothing comes around better and you won't find it anywhere.

wow that's a lot of credits.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Mrbob said:
Do you have any assault rifle or shotgun abilities?

Use them to take her out quickly, hide in the corner, and let the other enemies come to you. Take them out one by one. Hopefully you have shield regeneration as well.

Thanks for the tips, but I finally found out that you could
actually kill her, so I put a Marksman biotic on my pistol and took her out in less than 10 seconds, quickly went to the left and used my pistol on the rest.

Oh yeah, are you able to equip an Assault Rifle/Sniper Rifle to a Vanguard? I didn't really read the description for Vanguard when I made Shepherd become one.

Oh and how can I equip shield regeneration to him? Shepherd ends up saying "lost shields" A LOT lately and his shields won't regenerate. :( Weak ass, I am. :(

Mrbob

You can equip any weapon with any character I believe, but you can't upgrade them all depending on the class you took.

Not sure what Vanguard has open, as I used the soldier class type.

To get shield boost ability you have to upgrade your combat armor. I ended up mapping shield boost to my quick key, helped a ton in heavy firefights.

Phthisis

Domino Theory said:
Thanks for the tips, but I finally found out that you could
actually kill her, so I put a Marksman biotic on my pistol and took her out in less than 10 seconds, quickly went to the left and used my pistol on the rest.

Oh yeah, are you able to equip an Assault Rifle/Sniper Rifle to a Vanguard? I didn't really read the description for Vanguard when I made Shepherd become one.

Oh and how can I equip shield regeneration to him? Shepherd ends up saying "lost shields" A LOT lately and his shields won't regenerate. :( Weak ass, I am. :(

Vanguards can only use pistols and shotguns. You can regenerate your shields immediately by using Shield Boost, or you can wait and they recharge automatically over time.

EDIT- I guess I should say you can USE any weapon, but you can only boost your stats in certain weapons based on your class.

EDIT2- beaten by a second

Phthisis said:
Vanguards can only use pistols and shotguns. You can regenerate your shields immediately by using Shield Boost, or you can wait and they recharge automatically over time.

You can use any weapon, you just don't get the bonuses that come with training. It doesn't let you zoom either, at least with regular weapons (not sure about the sniper).

Dommel

Just finished it with 25 hours on my last save. OMFG at the last 2 hours, an incredible playing experience getting to the conclusion of the story. Absolutely unbelievable, GOTY and at least one other playthrough CONFIRMED!

Did most of the side quests (Completionist Achievement) but didn't get any of the UNC assignments completed (minerals, medals and writings etc). Did get the Tactician Achievement though, but not the Squad one probably because I kept mixing my squad up too much.

arhra

Hitler Stole My Potato said:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/838/838508p1.html

Any class can technically use any weapon, but Vanguards only get skills for pistols and shotguns (and unskilled ARs and snipers are pretty worthless, especially compared to a talented-up pistol or shottie).

Your shields regenerate after a short time when you haven't taken fire. There are armor mods that increase shield regen speed i believe, and some classes get Shield Boost, which is an ability that will refill 60/80/100% of their shields (depending on rank) over 2s, even if you're under fire (can't remember offhand if Vanguards get that one or not, though). Anyway, as a Vanguard, you should train up Barrier as soon as possible, as it's amazingly awesome (especially fully talented - with maxed out talents and good gear, you can keep it up near-permanently).

Gattsu25

Banned
From other thread:

new character: Renegade Adept

S5001669.JPG

http://xs322.xs.to/xs322/07486/S5001671.JPG
http://xs322.xs.to/xs322/07486/S5001673.JPG
http://xs322.xs.to/xs322/07486/S5001674.JPG
S5001677.JPG

http://xs322.xs.to/xs322/07486/S5001680.JPG

Notes: I'm not happy with my character's nose. Also, this is my first time taking off screen pictures of a game ever...so please forgive any stupidness.

I'm using Windows Image Viewer to resize and rotate pics (I took the pics at 5mp just in case :b) so expect tons of bad compression, etc.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
What a game, the standards of voice acting and dialogue are set now. Makes me laugh at games that dont even feature voice acting that are character driven.

Apart from the graphic glitches (texture loading and one occasion of extreme slowdown on the tram) and kinda gumby weapons, there isnt much stoping this from being the star wars of the video game world.

The decisions you have to make in the game really affect how you feel and i questioned why i couldnt be the end all of saviours. The story rules, the combat is very fun and the characters are interesting. Just an awesome experience allround.

VALIS

Is there any way to know what planets you've visited without jotting all their names down on paper? I'm trying to visit every planet possible and I'm landing on the same ones over again sometimes.

Gattsu25

Banned
VALIS said:
Is there any way to know what planets you've visited without jotting all their names down on paper? I'm trying to visit every planet possible and I'm landing on the same ones over again sometimes.
survey the entire system and only land on planets in systems that still have neighboring unsurveyed planets...won't help for systems with no surveyable planets, however

Meier

GreekWolf said:
Yup, and if I remember correctly there's a questline for Paragons where you have to use your grenades.

I'm kind of worried I wont get to my 75%.. I hope you can make up a decent chunk at the end.

Coverly

Question on Charm and Intimidation for those that have finished the game:

1. Are they worth putting points into?

2. Nonspoiler-wise if I don't put any points, are there any things I will miss because of it that i would really regret?

3. If you think it's worth it, should I max them out or up to how many should I put to be effective?

4. Out of the two, which one did you find more effective or use more?

I'm about to get off the citadel for the first time, and I could either strengthen my character or max charm at 8 points and intimidate at 6 points. Just wondering if it will be really worth it and keep them maxed at all possible times.

well, thanks for your help. I'm the only one of my friends playing this so I couldn't ask them.

Phthisis

After playing through a second time, some interesting story points that caught my ear on Noveria:

The rachni queen says that during the rachni wars, the rachni singing was silenced and they race was put under some sort of obedience to a single voice. Seems pretty obvious that this is a reference to Sovereign or another Reaper, which makes sense since the Reapers were locked out of the Citadel because of the Prothean alteration of the Keepers. So it would seem that Sovereign tried to wipe out organic life via the rachni when he realized that he couldn't open the relay to dark space.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Coverly said:

2. Nonspoiler-wise if I don't put any points, are there any things I will miss because of it that i would really regret?

3. If you think it's worth it, should I max them out or up to how many should I put to be effective?

I'm about to get off the citadel for the first time, and I could either strengthen my character or max charm at 8 points and intimidate at 6 points. Just wondering if it will be really worth it and keep them maxed at all possible times.

well, thanks for your help. I'm the only one of my friends playing this so I couldn't ask them.

1. Do you want to avoid combat, as that is their sole purpose. If yes, then it's worth it.

2. You'll get into more fights then you would otherwise. There is also a significant occurence with one of your party members that is directly affected by your Intimidate/Charm stat.

3. All or nothing, it isn't worth half assing them.

4. They are identical in effectiveness, it's an alignment thing. Charm gives paragon points and intimidate gives renegade points.

Coverly said:

1. I would...just because you can resolve certain situations without violence AND get more experience/money/quests.

2. See 1...not sure if you actually miss any quests, but you definitely won't get as many options to complete existing quests.

3. I maxed them out...besides Shepherd, you have plenty of points to spend...and it's not like the game is too challenging, even on Hardcore

4. They both seem to have essentially the same results so just focus on the one for the tone you are going after (Paragon or Renegade)...though intimidate is a lot more fun to watch!

I kept them maxed my first time through....like I said, you have plenty of points to distribute.

Coverly

Genuine Enthusiasm: I think I'll focus on one(charm) then until I'm a bit stronger and then I'll flesh out the other one, thanks guys for the advice.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Coverly said:
Genuine Enthusiasm: I think I'll focus on one(charm) then until I'm a bit stronger and then I'll flesh out the other one, thanks guys for the advice.

Pick one and stick with it. Raising both is a COMPLETE waste of points.

Mark D

Wow, the gaps between levels become enormous as you get higher. I'm a level 58 right now and it's about 100,000 experience to get to level 59. This is gonna take some time...

Sallokin

Just got the art book and the strat guide. The art book is phenomenal. I yearn for more Mass Effect merch. I've already got the album and all the other limited stuff. Come on Bioware/EA rape my wallet.

Mark D said:
Wow, the gaps between levels become enormous as you get higher. I'm a level 58 right now and it's about 100,000 experience to get to level 59. This is gonna take some time...

You need 862k for 60. I'm about 70k away.

Top Bottom