• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Iama

And last 5 hours.

I think that, the technical fault, in an huge game like ME and in another game FPS style must be considered in different ways.
I think that perfection is near impossible in an orpg: too much parameters, too much to do. This flaws, in my opinion, must weights different. Less more in an rpg's case.

Zzoram

Iama said:
And last 5 hours.

I think that, the technical fault, in an huge game like ME and in another game FPS style must be considered in different ways.
I think that perfection is near impossible in an orpg: too much parameters, too much to do. This flaws, in my opinion, must weights different. Less more in an rpg's case.

I have no idea what you're saying :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Iama said:
And last 5 hours.

You just blew my mind.

Tieno

Iama said:
And last 5 hours.

Don't use babbelfish :( I have a hard time figuring out what you're trying to say.

Iama

Hunter D said:
The default guy's face is based on supermodel Mark Vanderloo's face. I love when game devs use a person's face in a game and people call it generic.

MarkVanderloo2.jpg

He's him. It's not a coincidense for sure

temp

posting on contract only
Iama said:
And last 5 hours.

2vv0y3b.jpg

Iama

Tieno said:
Don't use babbelfish :(

Sorry guys :-<
Not so good in english as you see.

------

Well, I mean: a non linear game, expecially an rpg one, has very much parameters to calculate, things to do, places to make.
In this case, a flaw (fault or error), is much more easy to discover.

For me, 10, don't mean "perfection". A game like ME it could be a 10, despects of some easy flaws.

For example: some little pop-up in ME? Well, is quite different to same little pop-up in CoD.

imho

Tieno

Iama said:

------

Well, I mean: a non linear game, expecially an rpg one, has very much parameters to calculate, things to do, places to make.

For me, 10, don't mean "perfection". A game like ME it could be a 10, despects of some easy flaws.

For example: some little pop-up in ME? Well, is quite different to same little pop-up in CoD.

imho
It's ok man, at least you're making the effort. I think I get what you mean now.

PatzCU

Iama said:

------

imho

Here is my attempt to digest this:

Mass Effect is a game so large, with so many different elements that it's far easier for the developer to "screw up" and overlook a small problem. And because of this, when gamers go ripping through the ME world, they are of course going to find lots of tiny little errors.

Where as CoD has far more focus, and a flaw in this type of game is more glaring.

Well if that's what you meant, I agree. I give a lot more slack to a game like ME when I find flaws.

temp

posting on contract only
Iama said:

------

imho
WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?

Iama

PatzCU said:
Here is my attempt to digest this:

Mass Effect is a game so large, with so many different elements that it's far easier for the developer to "screw up" and overlook a small problem. And because of this, when gamers go ripping through the ME world, they are of course going to find lots of tiny little errors.

Where as CoD has far more focus, and a flaw in this type of game is more glaring.

Well if that's what you meant, I agree. I give a lot more slack to a game like ME when I find flaws.

Not exactly

Surely, it's better to wait some other post by Che.
For your own safety, don't try to read any other iama's post :D

johnFkennedy said:
Is this game not out,yet? I was at gamestop on monday picking up a copy of COD 4 and saw this game behind the counter.

Was either a pre-order or promo box, the game ships Nov 20th.

johnFkennedy said:
Oh,ok.It sure looked real though.Shrink wrap and everything.

Yeah the do the games like that in BEST Buy as well, fully wrapped. I was in the store the other day and picked one up like "WTF it's out!!??"

Doodis

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Limited Edition will be sold at brick-and-mortar retailers? So far it can only be pre-ordered online, and my local Gamestop didn't know if they'd be carrying the LE in-store. I really don't want to pay shipping charges to get the LE on day one.

Doodis said:
Can anyone confirm whether or not the Limited Edition will be sold at brick-and-mortar retailers? So far it can only be pre-ordered online, and my local Gamestop didn't know if they'd be carrying the LE in-store. I really don't want to pay shipping charges to get the LE on day one.

What I'd like to know is if it's pre-order only or if I can order it online after release.

Doodis

BenjaminBirdie said:
What I'd like to know is if it's pre-order only or if I can order it online after release.
Yes, the whole thing is annoying and confusing. Someone in marketing needs to be fired.

golem

Doodis said:
The guy at Gamestop yesterday told me 100% online only preorder for LE. You get the preorder box if u get it in store but it only comes with a few vids, demos, gamer pics and 2 themes.

GhaleonEB

Zzoram said:
You know there's not enough hype for a near release when the official thread falls almost to page 3 :lol
Alternately, a lack of steady, new information. Trailer debut tomorrow could be interesting.

Zzoram said:
You know there's not enough hype for a near release when the official thread falls almost to page 3 :lol

Well theres not much to do except way for this game. I mean there are massive speculations abound "reviews" "previews" and all that "nonsense" being tossed around. You cant be certain of anything until you try the game.

Really there isnt much to do at all except to complain about the lack of LE in canada.

SPEA

BenjaminBirdie said:
GAH fucking Pre-Order disc documentary has NO SOUND. But such gorgeous never before seen footage!!!

FUUUUCCCCKKKK.
Same with me! I thought I was the only one. I was so pissed.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
hey Che, I know you were talking a lot about the combat and there seems to be some confusion over the slow motion/pausing in combat...

From that teamxbox "preview"

I should stress that they did NOT weaken the game by doing this, as it is the gamer’s choice how much assistance the game gives you with the combat. If you JUST want to do the RPG part of the game, multiple assists and difficulty levels are available to seriously downplay the combat aspects. On the other hand, if the shooter part is the part that appeals to you, ramp up the difficulty and take full control of your team.

How does this statement line up with your impressions?

Zzoram

Lostconfused said:
Well theres not much to do except way for this game. I mean there are massive speculations abound "reviews" "previews" and all that "nonsense" being tossed around. You cant be certain of anything until you try the game.

Really there isnt much to do at all except to complain about the lack of LE in canada.

I'm just annoyed my EB preorder in Canada doesn't get the same bonus disc the US preorder does.

SPEA said:
Same with me! I thought I was the only one. I was so pissed.

Fucking bullshit, right? The disc totally backs up the whole "Gears-level promotion" thing. This whole rigamarole is the same deal. Dev intro, flashy documentary. It's just like Gears.

One thing I read about the LE over on the ME forums is that the reason they're restricting the LE to online only is because, get this, they're using the same boxes as the Halo 3 LE.

:(

FrankT

BenjaminBirdie said:
One thing I read about the LE over on the ME forums is that the reason they're restricting the LE to online only is because, get this, they're using the same boxes as the Halo 3 LE.

Shakes head. SO want this game and rather have the LE, but I'll get the regular version as I'm not waiting a minute more than I have to.

Zzoram

BenjaminBirdie said:

darthvadernooooo.jpg

BenjaminBirdie said:
Decides not to pre-order LE. Sorry Codex. You know I love you.

Well i guess i lucked out with my Halo LE box since the discs were perfectly fine and in their place when i poped it open.

But as some people have said theres no damn way i am waiting to get the LE from ebay or something, ill just play the game and nurse the grudge on the off time.

Lostconfused said:
Well i guess i lucked out with my Halo LE box since the discs were perfectly fine and in their place when i poped it open.

But as some people have said theres no damn way i am waiting to get the LE from ebay or something, ill just play the game and nurse the grudge on the off time.

Yeah. I mean there's actually a lot of legitimately awesome stuff on there, but I don't feel like rolling the dice. And at least this way I can trade some shit in towards it and what not. Plus the soundtrack is being released seperately. I would like to see some of the behind the scenes stuff, but realistically the time is probably better spent starting work on a new character.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah. I mean there's actually a lot of legitimately awesome stuff on there, but I don't feel like rolling the dice. And at least this way I can trade some shit in towards it and what not. Plus the soundtrack is being released seperately. I would like to see some of the behind the scenes stuff, but realistically the time is probably better spent starting work on a new character.

Well at least we dont have the crazy release date shit for Mass Effect, because form some (i am sure money is invovled) stupid reason Canada has been getting games release almost a week late. Assassins Creed is comming out here 2 days later then USA, that and the LE issue drives me crazy sometimes. I mean really do i have to make that 2 hour drive across the border, because considering the the exchange rate and the absurd taxing/delays/price increases ill probably save money over all even with the crazy gas prices.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
GashPrex said:
hey Che, I know you were talking a lot about the combat and there seems to be some confusion over the slow motion/pausing in combat...

From that teamxbox "preview"

How does this statement line up with your impressions?

Like I stated before, I'm playing the game with zero combat assists on "normal" difficulty because I am a huge shooter fan. As such, the game plays like a decent shooter, and the feeling of getting a more powerful gun, using it for the first few times in combat and dropping fools with a few shots is supremely satisfying.

If anything, I think the game needs more combat encounters. Whereas in a regular turn-based random encounter RPG (just about any JRPG out there), I used to dread combat and want to press the A button as fast as possible to move on, I truly relish any chance I have to shoot someone in the face in Mass Effect. Again, I think it's the effect of combining action shooter with deep RPG consequences.

I haven't tried turning on the assists and at this point, the combat is much too fun for me to want to do so. I might change it on my second time through when I create a male character who is pure biotics.

Zzoram

If Mass Effect has the same bad box as Halo 3 LE, it better have the Australian foam pads to hold the discs in place.

RTS83

Che...could you do a quick count of the number of visitable locales?

Maybe an insight into how many are rock planets/gas planets/space stations/ships etc.?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Amannamederic said:

Maybe an insight into how many are rock planets/gas planets/space stations/ships etc.?

No, because honestly I have better shit to do with my time -- like finish playing Mass, or play more COD4.

Maybe someone reading this thread is from Bioware and can comment?

RTS83

chespace said:
No, because honestly I have better shit to do with my time -- like finish playing Mass, or play more COD4.

Earlier we estimated 240

But the fact that you won't do it tells me that the idea of trying to count all of the locations of awesomeness I will be visiting in 2 weeks is too much tells me all I need to know :D

chespace said:

people wont believe the vague pr speak from bioware. Because bioware already attempted to tell people how many planets there are in a vague non committal way.

GhaleonEB said:
Just got this PR - TV spot debuts tomorrow.

Countdown Begins for Launch of “Mass Effect” with Exclusive Debut of TV Spot, SCI FI Channel Special, Micro-Site and Official Soundtrack

Microsoft, Yahoo! and SCI FI Channel celebrate the upcoming release of the holiday’s most anticipated new action role-playing game with two weeks of exclusive special programming and events

As the Nov. 20 launch date for “Mass Effect” for Xbox 360 draws nigh, the threat of an alien rogue force looms ever closer. To help unlock some of the secrets and mysteries of the vast universe in the highly-anticipated action RPG, Microsoft and Yahoo! will debut the exclusive television trailer for the upcoming game on Thursday, Nov. 8. On Monday, Nov. 12, the SCI FI Channel and Microsoft will continue its countdown for the retail release of “Mass Effect” by premiering the all-new, two-hour extended episode of “Battlestar Galactica: Razor” in select movie theaters. For those lucky enough to attend the Seattle premiere, Jamie Bamber, who plays Apollo in “Battlestar Galactica,” and show creator and executive producer Ronald D. Moore will be in attendance.

On Tuesday, Nov. 20, the SCI FI Channel will celebrate the launch of “Mass Effect” with the debut of a 30-minute special entitled “Sci vs. Fi: Mass Effect.” Scheduled to air at 11 p.m. Eastern and Pacific, the special will feature more in-depth information about the game, exclusive interviews and exciting behind-the scenes footage.

In conjunction with the special, fans are encouraged to go to http://www.scifi.com/masseffect to find all the show times and sign up for the “Mass Effect” sweepstakes, starting Nov. 13, for a chance to win the coveted limited collector’s edition of “Mass Effect.”

Also fueling anticipation for the game is the new “Mass Effect” micro-site on Xbox.com, which launched today at http://www.xbox.com/masseffect. The micro-site offers a wealth of “Mass Effect” content in one convenient portal, including the latest news and events on the game, as well as screenshots and special promotional items that no space traveling enthusiast should be without. Music fans will also find the “Mass Effect” Original Game Soundtrack, now available for presale and at retailers on Nov. 20.

From the creators of the critically-acclaimed “Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic” and “Jade Empire” comes an epic space saga exclusively for the Xbox 360 that spans the entire galaxy. Combining a rich and engaging narrative with intense sci-fi tactical combat, “Mass Effect” features an immersive and cinematic gameplay experience rarely seen before in video games.
Microsoft and Yahoo! - Does that mean we can download it from Xbox Live?

tak

Amannamederic said:
Earlier we estimated 240

But the fact that you won't do it tells me that the idea of trying to count all of the locations of awesomeness I will be visiting in 2 weeks is too much tells me all I need to know :D
I remember hearing that there are only 30 visitable worlds, and that there are a large number of objects (planets, etc...) that can only be scanned. However, I cannot find the place where I read that, so take that number with a grain of salt.

Lostconfused said:
people wont believe the vague pr speak from bioware. Because bioware already attempted to tell people how many planets there are in a vague non committal way.

Lostconfused has spoken, Che! Hop to it!

jet1911

Amannamederic said:

Around 30 planets can be visited iirc.

Draft

jet1911 said:
Around 30 planets can be visited iirc.
So then the real question is how many of them are "content" planets with missions and towns and dungeons and NPCs, and how many are empty rocks with maybe a treasure chest or something to find.

jet1911

Draft said:
So then the real question is how many of them are "content" planets with missions and towns and dungeons and NPCs, and how many are empty rocks with maybe a treasure chest or something to find.

The way I understand it there's a dozen, or so, big world that you visit to progress the story. The others planets are like small abandoned outpost, things like that.

Draft

jet1911 said:
The way I understand it there's a dozen, or so, big world that you visit to progress the story. The others planets are like small abandoned outpost, things like that.
If each of those is around the size of a KOTOR world then this game is going to be massive.

Top Bottom