• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Zzoram

BloodyYank said:
Microsoft and Yahoo! - Does that mean we can download it from Xbox Live?

I'd rather have an HD Gametrailers commercial. I can't download over Xbox Live while my 360 is in repair.

Something really interesting in that TXB write-up:

They also changed the way the game saves are handled. There is an autosave setting as well as being able to do manual saves. But most importantly, you can go back and forth between characters of your creation and game save points. To illustrate, let’s say you have a light side Jill Shepard and a dark side Jack Shepard. You play a point in the game as the light side character. You want to see how the same point would play out as a dark side character, all you do is change characters and replay the point. This is HUGE over only having the option to just replay the whole game again as “the other side.”

Whoah. Never heard of a game doing that. Awesome.

Clevinger

Subarushian said:
Something really interesting in that TXB write-up:

Whoah. Never heard of a game doing that. Awesome.

I thought there was no evil path, just getting to your good objective through whatever means.

I think they used a Jack Bauer allegory in that you have to disarm the bomb no matter what, but to do so you could blow off a guys kneecaps to find out where it is.

Doesn't seem like it's much of a neat feature if there's no true evil path in the game.

temp

posting on contract only
Clevinger said:
I thought there was no evil path, just getting to your good objective through whatever means.

I think they used a Jack Bauer allegory in that you have to disarm the bomb no matter what, but to do so you could blow off a guys kneecaps to find out where it is.

Doesn't seem like it's much of a neat feature if there's no true evil path in the game.
Oh, sorry, he meant "closed fist".

Clevinger said:

Is it really that hard to understand? There are peaceful and violent ways to solve problems and this lets to see the results of either without having to replay the game up to that point.

Clevinger

Subarushian said:
Is it really that hard to understand? There are peaceful and violent ways to solve problems and this lets to see the results of either without having to replay the game up to that point.

Yes, it's hard to understand how either violent or peaceful solutions that reach the same goal would make this feature amazing in terms of character consequences from my path.

It doesn't matter what you do from A to B, because you'll always get to C. I punched a guy to get information on the bomb instead of seducing him, but I still stopped the bomb. Where as if there was a real evil path, the feature would be interesting because I made the bomb go off and killed thousands of innocent people instead of saving them. I'd be seeing the consequence for my evil path instead of being pigeonholed into the same conclusion no matter what I do.

Then again, maybe the consequences for actions leading up to the good goal are meaningful and lasting. It just hasn't seemed that way from everything I've read so far.

Clevinger said:
Yes, it's hard to understand how either violent or peaceful solutions that reach the same goal would make this feature amazing in terms of character consequences from my path.

It doesn't matter what you do from A to B, because you'll always get to C. I punched a guy to get information on the bomb instead of seducing him, but I still stopped the bomb. Where as if there was a real evil path, the feature would be interesting because I made the bomb go off and killed thousands of innocent people instead of saving them. I'd be seeing the consequence for my evil path instead of being pigeonholed into the same conclusion no matter what I do.

Then again, maybe the consequences for actions leading up to the good goal are meaningful and lasting. It just hasn't seemed that way from everything I've read so far.

Your getting caught up in semantics. Just because there isn't and "evil" side (Renegade scale in the game) doesn't mean a lot of your actions aren't going to have negative consequences throughout the rest of the game. Such as killing a gang lord in cold blood. Maybe you want to see what would happen if you kept him alive and what he would give you.
The feature has more use on seeing the effects on important characters and how they treat you after an event. And I'm sure there will be major branch points

And since there is a matrix of endings when you go from A to B you will not always go to C.

And its just for the fucking fun of seeing plot branches. Why you argue it is pretty idiotic.

Zzoram

It wouldn't make sense to be "evil" in this game. The main story is about stopping an elitist alien from wiping out humanity. You are human. You want to stop him.

You can do "evil" things along the way to stopping him, but you're not going to let him wipe out your species because you're a bad mofo :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
There definitely are consequences for your choices. Several times, I've chosen the renegade path and folks have lost their lives when I could have probably talked out a peaceful solution. But yeah, there is still an overall "save the universe" arc but lots of little subplots will change based on your actions.

My character Mako Shepard is both soft and hard, a little country, a little rock'n roll.

Zzoram said:
It wouldn't make sense to be "evil" in this game. The main story is about stopping an elitist alien from wiping out humanity. You are human. You want to stop him.

You can do "evil" things along the way to stopping him, but you're not going to let him wipe out your species because you're a bad mofo :lol

Maybe he'll be willing to wipe out another race in order to save humanity...

temp

posting on contract only
Zzoram said:

"good" = save humanity
"evil" = save humanity + Bastilla has a bad relationship with her mom

Zzoram

temp said:
"good" = save humanity
"evil" = save humanity + Bastilla has a bad relationship with her mom

KOTOR had a true good and evil ending, but that just meant the beginning of KOTOR2 didn't make any sense :lol

KurowaSan

just finished reading MS: Revelation, i enjoyed it, not the greatest book ever, but it was interesting enough, a bit short, though. happy to hear they're working on another book.

i preordered the game LE version of the game a couple of days ago and i can't wait.
Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Ratchet, Uncharted, Mario Galaxy... my wallet am cry.

Hunter D said:
The default guy's face is based on supermodel Mark Vanderloo's face. I love when game devs use a person's face in a game and people call it generic.

MarkVanderloo2.jpg
Holy crap. Real Shepard is real.

MGHA

Once they stop talking about, Paris Hilton, white girls, and packages they got in the mail, they start talking about Mass Effect. Other than the first part its a great listen.

Scarecrow

I remember on a 1up Yours a while back they mentioned how the faces you can make look pretty terrible, and that you probably want stick with Generic Soldier Face. Has that changed?

Scarecrow said:
I remember on a 1up Yours a while back they mentioned how the faces you can make look pretty terrible, and that you probably want stick with Generic Soldier Face. Has that changed?

OP, profile reconstruction video.

Its the best face generator that I can think of.

GhaleonEB

Zzoram said:
KOTOR had a true good and evil ending, but that just meant the beginning of KOTOR2 didn't make any sense :lol
But you didn't make your final turn to evil until the very end. I was maxed out to the Darkside in nothing flat, killing everyone I could, and the game still treated me as if I were a noble Jedi until 95% of the way through. I'm hoping Mass Effect lets me be evil and reap the reward along the way.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Scarecrow said:

If you create an ugly face it's your fault. Judging by character creation videos released, the game has the most impressive character modelling system ever.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Subarushian said:
OP, profile reconstruction video.

Its the best face generator that I can think of.

I think their point was that unlike Oblivion where every face you create is another blight on mankind, ME can actually make normal looking people, which makes it look even worse when you mess up and end up playing 30 hours as the ugliest character in the game.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Again, my character here. You can make some really great faces. All I have to say is to really be sure you like your character's face/hair/background before you start the game proper because you'll be staring at this face for 40 hours or more and the character history plays a big role in not only how people treat and talk about you but also in some pretty major plot points (and presumably twists).

This picture was taken pretty early on. I'm about 30 hours in now and this was like, at hour 5 or 6. She has different armor now and has evolved into another "class" beyond soldier.

1851896577_e6c99f9d61_b.jpg

Jtyettis said:
Oh yea, here comes the red carpet.

Now that my head's stopped spinning (TOO MUCH AWESOME TODAY) it's very in line with that amazing print ad they released a whiles back. Really excellent marketing approach for the game. REALLY excellent.

Chinner

Banned
Microsoft should hurry up and release it on Live in HD, as much as I like the trailer I'm not going to put up with Yahoo's video player : @

Top Bottom