• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

PARANO1A

firehawk12 said:
Completionist means doing pretty much most of the sidequests in the game.
The Ally achievements force you to use the same characters throughout the whole game and to do al lthe side quests.

The Ally achievements have a specific checklist of quests you need to have completed for each Ally. That's why some are harder than others. I used Ashley and Kaidan for the whole game, doing pretty much every sidequest I had and didn't get it.

Completionist felt like an accident when it happened. *shrug* Haven't heard of it being hard, though.

Meier

I had Garrus in my party for probably about the entire game once I had him available and he was in it when
I got Saren to kill himself
and yet I didn't get the Ally reward as I'd heard I should. It's ridiculous. How much time do they think people have?

Mrbob

I thought someone already figured out earlier in the thread you have to complete 50 total missions with each ally to get the achievement. Which means you have to keep them in your party as you finish the mission too. I.E. go talk to someone on the citadel after you finish the mission.

Last game I got two ally achievements in one playthrough.

I found this on the official ME forum:

This has been discussed numerous times. Ally achievements are gained by completing 75% of the game with the ally in your party. This includes sidequests. Time spent is not a factor (I got ally achievements during my first 30 hour playthrough, and on my more recent 10something hour one). This has to be done in a single playthrough, unlike the "Use X ability" or "Kill X enemies" achievements.

Mindlog

ToyMachine228 said:
Just started the Ilos mission. I spent a good hour or so doing side missions in the Citadel though. I like the side-missions in cities like that they're fun, pretty straight forward and you get some cool decisions to make. I'm going Paragon this time but I can't wait to play again as a Renegade.

Oh and for Mass Effect 2...My requests are a class that can dual-wield, sort of like an off-shoot of the Soldier accept they can only use Light Armor or something as a trade. That and playable Volrus' and that fat emotion pronouncing race:lol

Infiltrator dual-wield pls :D

My Ing kind of sucks on the higher levels :(

Ventrue

The first few main quests count for A LOT. E.g. if you get Garrus straight away with no sidequests, you will need about 40 side quests to get his, but Liara will need about 60.

They are frustrating but not random. If you get the party members ASAP with no sidequests and then keep them the whole game, doing every sidequest and uncharted world, you WILL get the achievement. I've gotten 4 out of the 6 and am going for the last two in my next playthrough; there are no hidden secret requirements. Just keep in mind that some quests are finished on the Normandy and thus do not count (because you have no party). You must not do sidequests before getting the party member you want (well, if it is Liara or Tali).

Neither completionist nor the ally achievements are bugged. You simply need to explore every single planet you can; completionist can easily be had after doing maybe 3/4 middle main worlds and the Sentinel Ally achievement can be had without even setting foot on an uncharted world.

knitoe

purg3 said:
Are there different tiers for the spectre weapons or just one set? Just unlocked the "rich" achievement so now the guy on the ship has some for sale. Also fully maxed the shotgun skill tree today, and holy shit you can pick people off from pretty far away with that thing lol.

Comes in VII and X version

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep. The reason why Asari is the "hardest" is because people don't get her as soon as possible. Ideally, you skip most of the Citadel and pick Liara as soon as you become a Spectre... then go back and do all those fetch quests and random conversation quests that you find on the Citadel.
The only problem is that some of the quests require high charm/intimidate. So it's easier to do Asari ally on a second playthrough.

maus

okay i need to know whether i've run into a glitch or not 'cause i've been at this for a half-hour.

Normandy's been grounded at the citadel. When I speak to captain anderson about getting out, tell him I'm ready to go, he just disappears and i'm left there in the flux nightclub with my journal just telling me to use the mu relay to get to ilos. No clue where to go, i've ran around most of the citadel so i'm hoping i didn't catch a bug.

AniHawk

maus said:
okay i need to know whether i've run into a glitch or not 'cause i've been at this for a half-hour.

Normandy's been grounded at the citadel. When I speak to captain anderson about getting out, tell him I'm ready to go, he just disappears and i'm left there in the flux nightclub with my journal just telling me to use the mu relay to get to ilos. No clue where to go, i've ran around most of the citadel so i'm hoping i didn't catch a bug.

Board the Normandy.

Ephemeris

Mojovonio said:
It is, cause I wanted t blaze through insanity.

You most certainly can. It's what I'm going to do.

Just got Extreme Power Gamer on my 2nd play-through. Not sure I was going to make it, to be honest. Got it in the last stage right before you turn the corner to
activate the turrets to shoot the Geth Ship down
. It was quite eventful as I got the achievement just after I juggled an unlucky Geth
into space. Low-gravity for the win.
:lol

Now to finish up and get my Hardcore award and the 2nd-playthrough achievement.

AniHawk

antispin said:
9. These doors! They do nothing! Except impede my flow through the levels. WHY do some doors require a button press to open? GAH! And most of those doors were completely unnecessary. Someone likes them swishing sounds...

Doors exist in Mass Effect for the same reason they exist in Metroid Prime. Seriously, you didn't get this?

4. The followers are boring.
Wrex is awesome, but only because everyone else is so boring. Although Wrex + Garrus is guaranteed entertainment. I really missed HK-47 and Bindo :( Did any of the followers apart from Wrex and Tali get their own quest arcs? Even their ars were boring: Tali's was just random stumbling onto; Wrex's was the shortest kill-run ever (althought the fight was awesome).

Garrus had his own sidequest, which is great because Garrus is a cool character. Romance is the "sidequest" for Liara/Kaidan/Ashley.

maus

AniHawk said:
Board the Normandy.
Okay i'm gonna have to plead ignorance; where the hell do i board the normandy in the citadel? I don't ever recall needing to board it in the past and i can only remember being dumped onto the presidium level when arriving. Perhaps my memory is failing me terribly here.

AniHawk

maus said:
Okay i'm gonna have to plead ignorance; where the hell do i board the normandy in the citadel? I don't ever recall needing to board it in the past and i can only remember being dumped onto the presidium level when arriving. Perhaps my memory is failing me terribly here.

You probably only left the Citadel once before in the game (which is a shame, because if you return mid-game, there's a bunch of stuff to do), but there's an elevator to the docking bay in the middle of C-Sec.

maus said:

Go to C-Sec and then take the elevator to the Docking Bay.

EDIT: Beaten.

Swifty

Does anyone find it a lot easier to be a renegade as a female? I'm playing my second playthrough of Mass Effect as a female Sentinel. As a male soldier prior, I found it chauvinistic and almost repulsive to do the renegade options, but as female I find it rather easy. Almost sexy.

Chrange

Banned
Is there a reward for getting 1,000/1,000 Gamerscore on Mass Effect? Kind of wondering that, since so many of the Achievements give ingame or out-of-game rewards.

Chrange

Banned
purg3 said:
Are there different tiers for the spectre weapons or just one set? Just unlocked the "rich" achievement so now the guy on the ship has some for sale. Also fully maxed the shotgun skill tree today, and holy shit you can pick people off from pretty far away with that thing lol.

Same as other weapons, they go up to X level. Once you buy X-brand weapons, you don't go back!

Chrange

Banned
antispin said:
. Final point -- the "romance", lol. Williams and Liara confronted me and asked me to choose. The underlying message was a long--brewing tension between the three of us, and especially between her and Liara. Well, I never saw ANY signs of this tension, and I made it a point to make sure that I travelled with those two to see how things would head. The best of their interaction involved small talk on how women are perceived in each culture.

They go at each other a few times - Ash is catty about her when you talk in private, she makes snide comments during at least two debriefings, etc...

AniHawk

Chrange said:
Is there a reward for getting 1,000/1,000 Gamerscore on Mass Effect? Kind of wondering that, since so many of the Achievements give ingame or out-of-game rewards.

Out of game rewards? Explain.

KarishBHR

The "I Remember Me" mission is one of my favorite moments in all of gaming.

I failed and I couldn't believe
she killed herself
right in front me.

I was in shock.

Tell me: is it possible to succeed in that side mission?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Did anyone else find any information on
Eliza? The Alliance AI that was created out at Jump Zero AKA The Gagarin Station? I just read over that in the secondary tab in the codex and it really has me wondering

Chrange

Banned
KarishBHR said:

she killed herself
right in front me.

I was in shock.

Which mission was that?

maus

AniHawk said:
You probably only left the Citadel once before in the game (which is a shame, because if you return mid-game, there's a bunch of stuff to do), but there's an elevator to the docking bay in the middle of C-Sec.
Yeah thanks, I only went to the citadel when forced, which i think was twice..? I think I did every quest in the citadel while runnng around for the damn ship though.

I can't say I like the way they handled the whole paragon/renegade thing after doing all these smaller quests. I dumped all my points into charm and intimidate after the combat went from controller-breakingly hard to a complete breeze. The choices are completely black and white, labeled even, and always manage to resolve the situation. What was supposed to add depth to the conversation either limits a player a lot (by not having the skills), or gives them black and white rebuttles that always work for phat expz. They really need to drop the good/bad angle and just offer the player more dialogue options through a single stat, a la fallout. The game could then reward you for handling a situation well based on whatever unique logic the writers decide to use. Mass Effect's dialogue trees still pale in comparison to games of the past.

The whole good/bad decision-making just hurts the believability of the dialogue as well as pressures the player to maintain a certain role for the game's entirety. Is there any benefit to being equally paragon and renegade? I doubt there is.

Phthisis

KarishBHR said:

she killed herself
right in front me.

I was in shock.

That one really hit me in the gut. I didn't get it until my renegade playthrough
and as much as I wanted to save her, I ended up ordering the sniper to shoot her. All the game showed you was Shepard and the security oficer facing each other in silence, and a gunshot rings out in the background. When you go and look at her, she's lying dead. That one made me feel like shit.

Feint331

KarishBHR said:

she killed herself
right in front me.

I was in shock.

you don't neccessarily need charm or intimidate. i think you just have to play around with options to approach her and stepping back, eventually
you get a options to forcibly give her the sedative or handing it over to her. just keep shuffling around with the dialogue.

Salient

Its a colonist mission, and the reason I play colonist everytime. I haven't had a problem letting her survive by being careful and using the charm options when they are available.

Salient

No, war hero doesn't have to do with it. Only Colonist/Earthborn/Spacer have exclusive side quests.

War Hero/Sole Survivor/Ruthless have unique dialog in certain quests but no exclusive ones.

Salient said:
No, war hero doesn't have to do with it. Only Colonist/Earthborn/Spacer have exclusive side quests.

War Hero/Sole Survivor/Ruthless have unique dialog in certain quests but no exclusive ones.

Ah ok. I was a War Hero when I got it. I forgot that I was a Colonist too.

antispin

KarishBHR said:

she killed herself
right in front me.

I was in shock.

My most memorable quest from the game. And yes, I talked her out of it.

antispin

AniHawk said:
Doors exist in Mass Effect for the same reason they exist in Metroid Prime. Seriously, you didn't get this?

Nope. Never realised this :/

AniHawk said:
Garrus had his own sidequest, which is great because Garrus is a cool character. Romance is the "sidequest" for Liara/Kaidan/Ashley.

Oh yeah, forgot about Dr. Heart. Garrus is indeed cool, wish he had more "detective" quests to give. You know, film-noirish...

arhra

firehawk12 said:
The 59-60 grind forces you to play the game again to completion... but most people are probably doing the Insanity run with that character anyway, so I guess it's not that bad.
I hit 60 on my vanguard's second game, on Virmire (doing Therum -> Feros -> Noveria -> Virmire). It was actually opening a locker that put me over :lol. I did all of the sidequests possible though, avoided Mako kills for extra xp, along with having the completionist/power gamer xp bonuses, and had hit 54 by the end of my first run (which was my second game overall, hence not capped at 50).

Ventrue

DY_nasty said:
Did anyone else find any information on
Eliza? The Alliance AI that was created out at Jump Zero AKA The Gagarin Station? I just read over that in the secondary tab in the codex and it really has me wondering

Hrm, never saw this. Where did you get it/what did it say?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
After talking with Kaidan. A section about jump zero was added to my codex and it explained about what all was going on out there. From how Jump Zero started out as a FTL testing area to a military research facility after the Mars ruins were discovered.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
IronicallyTwisted said:
Wheres this "I remember me" sidequest. Man I missed quite a bit in this game...

dont think you could have missed it, you are approached with it when you try and leave the citadel for the second time. You must have had chosen a different backstory.

Chrange

Banned
Same here - I realize now that each play through I've used the same backstory. I'm not sure why, it just seemed to fit with what I wanted for the characters. I'll have to try one with a new background.

papercut

Finally beat it. The game needed more story missions and less boring roving missions. There are like what, 5 main quest planets? That's pretty thin. All in all I felt that they built up this massive universe and in the end the game just wasn't epic enough.

Solo

Meier said:
For fuck's sake, I now have 51 completed sidequests and STILL don't have the Completionist achievement. Game is fucking stupid as hell, I swear.

Dont you also need to beat 15 Missions? Perhaps since you havent beaten the game yet, you havent finished 15 Missions. My guess is you've hit the Assignments criteria, but not the Missions yet.

Solo

I have gotten my first glitch I think, on my second playthrough. Has anyone gotten the "Uncle Kyle" assignment, gone to his base, have an X on the map where he should be, yet he is no where to be found? How can I kill Uncle Kyle when he is either invisible or non-existent? I killed all his minions, left the planet, returned, etc. Still no Kyle.

He is in the other building, to the right of the first one where you ask the biotic to open the door. I was confused too in the first time, since the "X" on the map doesn't make any sense, but it's not a glitch, they just probably placed it there unintentionally.

Gattsu25

Banned
Psychotext said:
Asari Consort:
Didn't know you could have sex with her. One minute she's giving me her speech and the next we're stark naked! Kaiden and Ashley must have got a real good view...
What? how?

Top Bottom