• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
arhra said:
I think everyone does that. Consider it a kind of rite of passage. Although it's fairly obviously deep water, there's a boundary line or rocks, and it's clearly the edge of the area on your map screen. Not that any of that stopped me from doing it either...

I wanted to skip across the surface, just like Jesus did, and then scuttle down into one of the lighthouses to visit Rapture. No Gods is right. I sank like a soulless stone.

Gattsu25

Banned
AniHawk said:
At the end I chose Anderson as the chairman of the new human council. Don't fuck with humanity.
I'm not choosing him on this current playthrough. I'm also going to try to get him killed by telling him to take the heavily guarded route to steal the Normandy

Solo

Good luck with that. I tried.
Also, I chose Udina, in line with my renegade playthrough. Kill the Council, and put the asshole in power.

This time Im playing as a puss... er, paragon.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I always take Tali for her electronic/decryption skills. With those skills maxed out, no safe is, uh, safe. She's pretty damn good with a shotgun too. To accompany her, I usually go with Ashley's sniper coupled with high impact explosive rounds (ownage total) or Liara for indoor combat. Watching the enemy charge and then go floating off, arms and legs wobbling to and fro while I pick them apart with my pistol is pretty amusing.

Plus, with either variant I've got something to look at besides Shephard's ass while I'm riding in elevators.

Kaidan is such a jerk. I don't even know if I'm even spelling his name correctly. He's been on my crew since the start, but all he does is tinker around by the ship's lone bedroom. It's kinda creepy. When I go over to see what he's up too, he seems all worn out and he's sweating like a bastard. No dude, you can't be on my away team.

Wrex and I have worn down to first name greetings. "Shephard." "Wrex." He's just such a buzzkill, what with all that talk about the Genophage and murder and his father. Ugh.

Garrus? I don't have time for this, dude. You can thank me by running a little security on Kaidan. Creepy bastard's been hanging out by the bedroom. All sweaty and shit. Check it out. And by the way, the eye patch is out. You look like an asshole with that thing on. Fo realz.

armubaba

Man, I fail so hard at being a renegade it's just sad. It's my first run, and I'm trying to make it a renegade one, but I keep getting random paragon points every once in a while. I try and make sure I give the dickiest, douchebaggiest answer, but still I get the paragon points.

Tieno

Urk not like Wrex? Wrex is cool, he's a badass, love his voice and when he gets angry. I'm not sure on Ashley, she gave me a bit of an attitude when I got the other aliens on board. I don't tollerate inter-galactic racism on my ship. Kaiden keeps coming on to me (well who wouldn't? She's shexy) Still have to encounter a human female in the game that's as hot as my Shephard. Some of the Asaria's are suprisingly hot. Can't wait to pick up Liara :D.

I always have Wrex with me, and then either Garrus or Talia. But I should try the others too.

As far as Paragon/Renegade, I'm just responding towards the situation and how I feel like. High ranking officials I'm usually polite, victims/scared people too. People giving me an attitude or being weird about my aliens (Wrex, Garrus, Talia) I fuck up. High ranking human officials too if they're being a dick to me (can't touch me since I'm a specter). But I'm usually more on the good side. 4/5 Paragon, 1/5 Renegade.

Solo

Hesemonni said:
Ok so, on the second playthrough the difficult should be changed during the Eden Prime mission for achievement in the end?

What achievement is that?

Gattsu25 said:
The Asari Council member RAWR

Liara's just about the least attractive Asari in the game.

The Asari Consort isn't above going down on a Spectre. :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Solo said:
What achievement is that?
Distinguished Combat Medal (complete Hardcore playthrough) achievement unlocks Insanity difficulty and grants
robo-Saren
gamer picture.

Medal of Valour (complete Insanity playthrough) achievement grants N7 logo gamer picture.
Solo said:
The Asari Consort isn't above going down on a Spectre. :lol
Very good point, indeed

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Tieno said:
Urk not like Wrex? Wrex is cool, he's a badass, love his voice and when he gets angry. I'm not sure on Ashley, she gave me a bit of an attitude when I got the other aliens on board.

Oh, I talked Ash out of that. She was a little reserved, but I soothed her worries. She also told me that she's a hellcat off the battlefield, if you knowwhatImean. Nudge, nudge.

I used Wrex when I first picked him up, but I'm playing as a Vanguard and he kept getting in the way of my biotic-pistoling. Guy's got one hell of a hunchback. Ash hangs back with the sniper and when she does move up, she's slim and trim, even in her heavy armor.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't know where all the Tali hate comes from, she's a frickin tank... if we're just talking about shield capacity and tech abilities. I know I'm going to keep her around for this play-through but as a renegade, i have to make sure that I have enough assholes and badasses in my party.

Confidence Man said:
I like the
cloned one that gets squirted out of the Thorian

Yeah, I was hoping that I wasn't the only one who found the whole situation to be kinky as hell

Just wanna say that, early on in the game before even Feros/Noveria/Liara, but after seeing the text after
the quest to find his family armor
, I believed I was accidentally romancing ... Wrex. I now realize that romances are tied to the plot moving forward. But that was an unsettling moment.

JayDubya

Banned
arhra said:
All the different characters seem to have some sort of rating along the paragon/renegade scale(s), and it generally tries to give you an argument from each perspective, so picks accordingly depending on their relative leanings, so depending on who you bring along, one character can argue one way in one game, then the other in the next. They reuse lines in a few cases, too, so as in this case, you can have Tali say something that Liara said previously.

So if you use Tali/Liara, Liara will take the paragon position and Tali the renegade, but if you use Wrex/Tali, Wrex takes the renegade and Tali the paragon.

I kind of don't like this because it makes each character's personality and opinion too malleable.

It makes it appear as if you have a squad of extemporaneous debaters without personal morals of their own. :lol

Wrex seems to be the most brutal, whereas Liara will always, always take the high road.

Well, I mean, I don't think Wrex will ever take the side of not just offing things. Garrus too, unless the only other person around is Wrex. Ashley's pretty violent as well. Kaiden tends to be fairly neutral in his responses anyway. Tali seems to be fairly moral.

If I had to hazard a guess based on my playthroughs, Liara > Tali > Kaiden > Ashley > Garrus > Wrex, in terms of Paragon <=> Renegade and the hierarchy of what they'll say in moral dilemmas.

However, I am also concerned that their dialogue choices might just be "Am I in character slot 1 or character slot 2?" which would be quite disappointing.

JayDubya

Banned
Solo said:
Good luck with that. I tried.
Also, I chose Udina, in line with my renegade playthrough. Kill the Council, and put the asshole in power.

This time Im playing as a puss... er, paragon.

Shepard's voice actress handles the Charm dialogue much better than the voice actor. FYI.

NJ Shlice

urk said:
Oh, I talked Ash out of that. She was a little reserved, but I soothed her worries. She also told me that she's a hellcat off the battlefield, if you knowwhatImean. Nudge, nudge.

When looking for a mating partner, Ashley turned me OFF with the quickness. Liara was so all over my shit I couldn't resist.

And Liara has the longer sex scene...

JayDubya

Banned
Mojovonio said:
getting to level 60 will take FOREVER.

2 and a few tenths of a playthrough, doing virtually everything.

Once you remove the level cap and unlock all the bonus xp achievements, you can probably reach L54-55 or so in a single playthrough.

Solo

NJ x Falkor said:
And Liara has the longer sex scene...

Yeah, Ashleys was over before it began. Like, in a matter of 10 seconds, we go from kiss to ass shot to back to business as usual.

Chrange

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Eh, aside from keeping the Salarian locked away, none of that is particularly evil. And even then, locking up the dude is obviously justified as there's a fucking Salarian in the room across the hall that tries to kill you if you open his cage.

I think the most enjoyable asshole moments come from talking with Benezia. That and having Wrex in your party for the bit just after her.

That's not what I'm talking about.

I mean executing every prisoner in their cells.

Gattsu25

Banned
Chrange said:
That's not what I'm talking about.

I mean executing every prisoner in their cells.
There is a pretty good chance that they were
slaves of Sovereign's will and that is a chance you could not possibly take. Not only would you be endangering the lives of your squad, but any and all living beings they come in contact with afterward. Galactic Security was maintained by your decision and that is something anyone would be able to understand

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Tieno said:
I had Tali and Wrex with me during the Noveria and Benezia part.
Wrex was making the argument that I should kill the creature because of the past wars, while Tali said it's not right to kill such a remarkable creature and an entire species with it. She already gave me a bit shit when I had to kill that Thorian, saying she was sad that such an old creature was gone even though it was evil. I stood there weighing the options, didn't want to disappoint Wrex because he's great, but Talia made a good argument too. In the end I went with Talia, the queen was fascinating in the way she talked to me and the queen didn't seem evil to me. Wrex was really pissed off. And then at the debriefing I got shit from the council too. It really felt like it carried weight

If you choose the renegade choice the council
still gives you shit and the Turian member goes on to ask you if you enjoy committing genocide on an entire species.

I'm playing a Vanguard, with Liara and Garus. Paragon.

Next time I'll play a soldier with Talia and Wrex. Renegade.

Finally a Biotic with Ashley and Kaidan. Paragon again.

bengraven

I'm really tempted to ask my "motherinlaw" for this for Christmas. But I also need a wireless router (which will then lead to days and days of WoW again). Torn.

I don't see much replay value in this game.

bengraven said:
I almost never bother replaying games but I started my second run through immediately after finishing my first and as I go through it this second time I'm working out what I could do differently on the third run.

Walshicus

Killthee said:
still gives you shit and the Turian member goes on to ask you if you enjoy committing genocide on an entire species.

My response was:
"Depends on the species... Turian."
:D

JayDubya

Banned
Killthee said:

The Turians certainly don't mind when they're the ones doing it. Or the Asari / Salarians. :lol

Ephemeris

Gattsu25 said:
I'm also going to try to get him killed by telling him to take the heavily guarded route to steal the Normandy

I wasn't trying to get him killed but that was what I told him to do. He doesn't die. *whew*

plaidtopia said:
I believed I was accidentally romancing ... Wrex.

:lol :lol I don't even want to imagine how that works.

Solo said:
One of? Hell no. THE? Yes. Virmire is easily most awesome part of the game. Ilos was a letdown after Virmire.

Yeah. Ilos was a letdown of sorts. But I think my fave would have to be
Return to the Citadel. Disintegration+Low Gravity = Win.

burgerdog

Started my Insanity and get to lv60 run earlier today. I just arrived at the citadel and I have 783079/862100. Any idea if I'll be able to get to lv60 by just completing the game and avoiding most of the side quests?

Chrange

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
There is a pretty good chance that they were
slaves of Sovereign's will and that is a chance you could not possibly take. Not only would you be endangering the lives of your squad, but any and all living beings they come in contact with afterward. Galactic Security was maintained by your decision and that is something anyone would be able to understand

Couldn't just leave them in their cells? I mean a nuke is about to go off anyway...shooting them all, because they MIGHT be pawns, seems a bit on the evil side of things...

Gattsu25

Banned
Chrange said:
Couldn't just leave them in their cells? I mean a nuke is about to go off anyway...shooting them all, because they MIGHT be pawns, seems a bit on the evil side of things...
Like putting down a sick dog

JayDubya said:
The Turians certainly don't mind when they're the ones doing it. Or the Asari / Salarians. :lol

Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be irony [unlike the scene with Counselor Troi's pet roach], because there's no *wink* when the Turian said that. I was saying it at my tv, though.

arhra

Mojovonio said:
getting to level 60 will take FOREVER.
~60 hours for me, over two playthroughs (just hit 60 today... from breaking open a locker in the first gatehouse on Virmire, which was rather... anticlimactic). Hit 54 in my first run (was my second playthrough overall, so i had the Completionist and Power Gamer XP boosts, and of course had the raised level cap unlocked).

Oh, and i finally managed to get Asari Ally, on the Citadel after Virmire (after intimidating Conrad into
giving up on his idea of becoming a spectre
, of all things :lol)

medze

bengraven said:
I'm really tempted to ask my "motherinlaw" for this for Christmas. But I also need a wireless router (which will then lead to days and days of WoW again). Torn.

I quit WoW right before Mass Effect came out because I was so hyped for it and haven't had any desire to return to playing WoW.

The story was the main thing that drew me in to Mass Effect, something end-game WoW (or really any of the game) fails to deliver on. I mean, the Draenai lore is some of the stupidest shit I've ever heard. Maybe I'll play again for WotLK but I don't expect the story to be engaging, as it never was.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
arhra said:
All the different characters seem to have some sort of rating along the paragon/renegade scale(s), and it generally tries to give you an argument from each perspective, so picks accordingly depending on their relative leanings, so depending on who you bring along, one character can argue one way in one game, then the other in the next. They reuse lines in a few cases, too, so as in this case, you can have Tali say something that Liara said previously.

So if you use Tali/Liara, Liara will take the paragon position and Tali the renegade, but if you use Wrex/Tali, Wrex takes the renegade and Tali the paragon.

It'd be interesting to see all the combos and see if one of the characters flip-flop positions based on who they're with.

arhra said:
~60 hours for me, over two playthroughs (just hit 60 today... from breaking open a locker in the first gatehouse on Virmire, which was rather... anticlimactic). Hit 54 in my first run (was my second playthrough overall, so i had the Completionist and Power Gamer XP boosts, and of course had the raised level cap unlocked).

Oh, and i finally managed to get Asari Ally, on the Citadel after Virmire (after intimidating Conrad into
giving up on his idea of becoming a spectre
, of all things :lol)

It took me 55 hours/2.5 full playthroughs to get to 60.
Maybe this is weird, but completing that same quest got me my Krogan ally achievement.

DustinC

I finished my first playthru yesterday and pretty much started my second one right away. Absolutely loved this game, my personal GOTY (and yes I played Galaxy, Halo 3, Uncharted, etc). It's rare that a game will make me want to play thru for a second or third go, but I'm planning on at least three full rounds of ME.

I capped out at 50 on the first playthru at around 30 hours, and hit my Quarian and Krogan achievements. I'll probably go Human (Kaidan) and Turian for the second playthru with my current Shepard to get the 60 cap, and then make my Charlies Angels squad for the third (Female Shep, Ashley, Liara).

I'm pretty sure I managed to hit all the sidequests, but I'll find out for sure this time.

Oh, playing as a Paragon for the second go, but being a Renegade was a blast.

So can I start a new game based off of one of my careers at any point? I finished the game this weekend but before heading off to the final objective I made another save. I didn't get the Completionist achievement until a little while into the last objective, so apparently there are some side missions left (plus after beating the game I didn't get the Krogan or Turian achievements). I think I'm gonna go back and finish some more sidequests to get those 2 achievements; but after that will I then need to finish the game to start a new game plus or can I do it right away?

bengraven

Psychotext said:
I almost never bother replaying games but I started my second run through immediately after finishing my first and as I go through it this second time I'm working out what I could do differently on the third run.

But can things really be more different the third time through? I'm aware I can make a hero or an asshole, either male or female, and I can see myself wanting to play it three times (I beat KOTOR three times), but I just want even more choice than good and evil these days. I want a completely different story for the most part.

Zerachiel

Uncle said:
Are you confusing Tali with Liara? Because when I played that, Tali made a different argument. Something like
"That chamber will be flooded with acid strong enough to kill anything inside it. It's obvious that whoever was studying this really did not want it to get away."

Your two party members will always take differing sides on a moral question. They go in order of paragon-renegade.

Liara
Tali
Kaiden
Ash
Garrus
Wrex

So if you have Liara in your party, Tali will be devil's advocating the renegade side.

Top Bottom