• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Probably going to finish Mass Effect tonight and start it again to be a Renegade. Who out there has read Mass Effect prequel novel? I saw it in Game Informer and I'm thinking about picking it up.

ToyMachine228 said:
Probably going to finish Mass Effect tonight and start it again to be a Renegade. Who out there has read Mass Effect prequel novel? I saw it in Game Informer and I'm thinking about picking it up.
I have heard it's pretty good. Gonna get it too asap, also I'm thinking about buying the Prima Guide Limited Edition just because of the 197-pages Artbook including dev.comments, 197 pages of this great art, sounds sexy...

Tieno

Gattsu25 said:
Awesome experience in the game last night: I was doing a sub mission for Hackett and decided to resolve it peacefully on my Renegade character...when he acknowledged that the mission was complete, he stated that he expected me to act differently and that the reason why he chose me to perform the mission was because he expected me to end it in bloodshed.

So awesome
I fucking love the voice of Admiral Hackett, bishops's voice + the transmission filter is fantastic.

Uncle

ToyMachine228 said:

It's okay. An easy entertaining read. Ties into the game pertty well too (better than the Halo books for example).

I enjoyed the prequel novel. You get an interesting look into Saren and Andersons relationship, as well as dig a bit deeper into how the world of ME basically came about. Its a solid read if your a fan of ME's story.

Quazar

Uncle said:
It's okay. An easy entertaining read. Ties into the game pertty well too (better than the Halo books for example).

I agree. I was a little worried the game will fall flat story wise after reading it. Was great seeing it didn't.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You do. You have to convince him that the Normandy wasn't a waste of money. Which is odd, since you do all these damn side missions for him.

Salient

firehawk12 said:
You do. You have to convince him that the Normandy wasn't a waste of money. Which is odd, since you do all these damn side missions for him.

Thats not him. Thats someone else for the Alliance.

Uncle

firehawk12 said:

That was Hackett? He was such a military simpleton. "We need big ship, not small ship, durrr". I'm looking forward to seeing him again. I'm boosting my intimidate just for that guy.

Quazar

firehawk12 said:

Oh wow didn't realize that was him myself.

Bulla564

Banned
chase said:
My main problems with the game are all on the role-playing side. Yeah, the "tactical combat" doesn't really work, but I've found them to kill effectively enough without it, even playing as a tech.

But there just feels like there's something missing. Maybe it's the shallow sidequests. Actually, calling them shallow feels like I'm doing them too much credit. Copy and paste level designs and enemies, lack of interesting characters. Even when there are actual characters in the sidequests, they feel so insubstantial, like non sequiturs; they, and the quests they inhabit, seem like they were added through user-created mods.

You make decisions but what effect do they have? You usually get the same response no matter what you say. And on the 3 or 4 occasions where there actually is an effect, it's easy to determine: a. that this is a DECISION MOMENT; and b. what it will be.

Changing your history changes a dozen lines of dialog and a quest. What's the point? If that's the best they can do, it seems like much more work than it's worth. Along those same lines, I'd like to see just two companions in the next game. Then maybe they'll have some depth that doesn't manifest itself solely through conversations in the terribly-designed bowels of the ship.

I'd like, I dunno, actual towns in the next game? Sidequests that feel like they weren't taken straight out of an 8-bit game? Choices that matter, but seriously this time?

I realize that changing all this would be difficult...but that's BioWare's problem. They created this game that wants to be, and seems as though it should be, so much more than it is. The fact that it seems constrained and hollow is a result of how the game itself makes you feel it should be. All this stuff is there but it just.doesn't.reach it's goals.

As I was going through the beginning of the game and what I thought was an introductory town and basic sidequests, I felt certain that this game was going to take a spot in my all-time top 10. As the game went on and its limitations became annoyingly, glaringly clear, it fell precipitously. I'd even venture to say that while it's a good, ambitious game, it's not even a great one. That's how dramatically the limitations of the game affect my opinion of it.

If you cut through the praise in this thread, this is what the game is for me. After 2 playthroughs, I realize how much missed potential there is for this. Perhaps the reason why I got the completionist achievement, was the hope that the next sidequest, or the next "renegade" decision would actually feel rewarding. How wrong was I.

If it were not for Virmire, Feros, and the ending events in the Citadel, the game ends up being a 7/10 game with annoying technical problems and design. Thankfully, the main quest story did not disappoint, the combat felt good, and the presentation was great. In the end, the main quest left me yearning for ME2 like crazy, but I am hoping Bioware gets its act together.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
firehawk12 said:
I'm pretty sure he said he was "Hackett, Fifth Fleet". But, I dunno. I played the game four times, but that was a week ago now.

Nope, that person is Admiral Kohoku (s/p?), who gives you the Cerberus side-quests.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Witchfinder General said:
Nope, that person is Admiral Kohoku (s/p?), who gives you the Cerberus side-quests.

Kohuku gives you Missing Marines and Cerberus.
Hackett gives you the Malfunctioning VI, the Paragon/Renegade Quest, Major Kyle, Dead Scientists, Missing Probe... and many, many others.

Uncle

Witchfinder General said:

Are you sure? Because I'm fairly certain that I had done the Cerberus quests before I saw that guy...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hah, weird. That makes more sense, I suppose.
But why the hell would the Fifth fleet guy keep bugging you with jobs if you're supposed to be a Sixth fleet ship?

Salient

Kahoku and Mikhailovich are both Rear Admirals- that may have been one of the sources of confusion. Friggin naval ranks. :p

firehawk12 said:
Hah, weird. That makes more sense, I suppose.
But why the hell would the Fifth fleet guy keep bugging you with jobs if you're supposed to be a Sixth fleet ship?
Because you're not- you were never transferred to the Sixth because of your Spectre assignment. Thats why he's pissed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, I know. I'm just wondering why this dude wouldn't hit you up for "special missions" as well, or why you'd take orders from any of the Admirals?

Strangely, it's also Fifth fleet that saves the day at the end... what the hell is this Mikhailovich guy doing anyway?

Hmm, maybe I was incorrectly ordering my team into cover all along.

I'd usually just hit up (Move to Position) on the D-Pad to get them to move to a suitably sized outcropping, and leave it at that. But I guess you should wait for them to reach the waypoint and THEN hit down (Hold Position) on the D-pad?

Does this work? Will they actually take a defensive position? Or is it as loosely interpreted as Move to Position?

I just want it to work - if I order them to take cover that doesn't mean I want them to stand 5 feet back from it, shooting fully exposed and get killed by rockets.

Uncle

firehawk12 said:
Oh, I know. I'm just wondering why this dude wouldn't hit you up for "special missions" as well, or why you'd take orders from any of the Admirals?

His missions probably need bigger ships.

golem

firehawk12 said:

Strangely, it's also Fifth fleet that saves the day at the end... what the hell is this Mikhailovich guy doing anyway?
i think he makes it fairly clear that the missions are optional.. you're not taking orders from him, just helping him out if you decide to.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
firehawk12 said:
Doesn't Hackett give you the "you're human and you have responsibility to the Alliance" spiel as well?

He often tells you the opposite, i.e. "You're a Spectre, I know you don't take orders from us anymore, but we could use your help if you have some spare time."

Brakara

bengraven said:
Hm, my last one may be in the tower. :D

That's where I found my last one, even though I claimed earlier that I had looked everywhere there. :eek:

Which reminds me: Thanks for the link, Hellraizer!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Killthee said:
He often tells you the opposite, i.e. "You're a Spectre, I know you don't take orders from us anymore, but we could use your help if you have some spare time."

Hah, okay then. I guess it's really all a blur.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Quick question, for the insanity, hardcore achievements, when i start a new career when loading my previous complete game profile, the game starts at normal as it was, if i change the setting in the normandy to hardcore, will i still get the achievement? Since it says "do not change the setting" in the achievement description, im wondering. I tried changing the difficulty in the main menu and then starting a new career using the complete game load, puts me back on normal in the normandy :(

Mrbob

Buggy Loop said:
Quick question, for the insanity, hardcore achievements, when i start a new career when loading my previous complete game profile, the game starts at normal as it was, if i change the setting in the normandy to hardcore, will i still get the achievement? Since it says "do not change the setting" in the achievement description, im wondering. I tried changing the difficulty in the main menu and then starting a new career using the complete game load, puts me back on normal in the normandy :(

Yeah I had this problem as well.

I have been told as long as you change the difficulty before you finish Eden Prime, you can still get your achievements.

Ventrue

Buggy Loop said:

Change it before using the beacon on Eden Prime and you will still get it.

JayDubya

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Doesn't Hackett give you the "you're human and you have responsibility to the Alliance" spiel as well?

Yes, he does. The Luna VI missions come to mind immediately.

Hackett is basically a good guy all around, though. He supports your candidacy for Spectre, he gives you a wide berth, he doesn't really give you a lot of guff about your actions or decisions, if you tell him you can't do a mission he's understanding...

Hackett's probably too nice and too forgiving to Renegade Shep.

Tiktaalik

HOLY FUCK I am pissed off at this game right now. I was enjoying the game for it's story and dialogue, but now that I've attempted and lost the fight against
Benezia
like 20 times I am fucking pissed off at this game's broken ass crap.

- Little to no feedback as to if my upgrades are having a significant effect or if I'm using the wrong ones
- EXTREMELY cumbersome equipment screen makes it a pain to change people's armour and weapons upgrades
- Combat is so damn random. Sometimes it seems like I'm not behind cover for like 2 seconds and then I'm dead instantly.
- Stupid healing system makes no sense and it's horrible.
- Can't swamp my teammates for other guys?

Sometimes I get really far into this fight, sometimes I die instantly. Fucking incredibly random. I do not understand the choices that this developer made and the combat system in this game is brutally horrible.

Using that blue skinned alien girl and the Turian. They're probably horrible teammates for this section I guess, but I can't swap them out as far as I know.

Finished the game for the first time tonight. Took 15 hours. Finished like two points short of the Paragon achievement...Pretty lame. I'm going all out Renegade this time through. Hope I don't fall a few points short again:lol I've been doing a lot more side quests in the Citadel this time. There's a lot to be explored even within this one city that I didn't experience the first time through.

medze

Tiktaalik said:
I do not understand the choices that this developer made and the combat system in this game is brutally horrible.
I can understand technical complaints and inventory complaints but this is just incorrect. The combat in this game is great, I think you're prob not just micro-managing enough or something

Ventrue

Tiktaalik said:
HOLY FUCK I am pissed off at this game right now. I was enjoying the game for it's story and dialogue, but now that I've attempted and lost the fight against
Benezia

- Little to no feedback as to if my upgrades are having a significant effect or if I'm using the wrong ones
- EXTREMELY cumbersome equipment screen makes it a pain to change people's armour and weapons upgrades
- Combat is so damn random. Sometimes it seems like I'm not behind cover for like 2 seconds and then I'm dead instantly.

Sometimes I get really far into this fight, sometimes I die instantly. Fucking incredibly random. I do not understand the choices that this developer made and the combat system in this game is brutally horrible.

Using that blue skinned alien girl and the Turian. They're probably horrible teammates for this section I guess, but I can't swap them out as far as I know.

TURN THE DIFFICULTY DOWN.

Am I the only one who didn't have problems with this fight until I tried it on Hardcore/Insanity? =/

JayDubya said:
Yes, he does. The Luna VI missions come to mind immediately.

Hackett is basically a good guy all around, though. He supports your candidacy for Spectre, he gives you a wide berth, he doesn't really give you a lot of guff about your actions or decisions, if you tell him you can't do a mission he's understanding...

Hackett's probably too nice and too forgiving to Renegade Shep.
Hackett is fucking depressing. He sounds like every person he's ever known not only killed themselves to save him but raped him right before that.

You can inspect what EVERY SINGLE RANK of each ability does. If you are unable to understand whats going on in combat and how your abilities are affecting it... you are playing the game wrong.

Mindlog

There is only one problem with the combat imo and it's best surmised by http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/11/19

Once I got the hang of it I enjoyed it a lot.

Quickly:
Upgrade feedback??? I don't know how to implement that.
Equipment management is pretty terrible. Keep it clean as much as possible and hope ME2 does better.
No randomness in combat for me. Just need to avoid rockets.
Healing system is simple. To heal hit Y to use a medigel. Y recharges and you can see it on the bottom left corner.
Swap at the ship or on a new character pickup.

Which is all mostly covered in the manual.

Zen

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Benezia

There's nothing broken or unfair about the
Benezia
fight at all. What class are you, who are your squad mates. What part is giving you trouble. Keep in mind that the room will have Geth and Asari coming down both walkways, so that cover emmediatly right by the door isn't always effecting. Hang back right at the door for the best cover.

I did it with Tali and the Turrian and it was my first planet with no upgrades. This is the fight in the game that will grind you to dust if you don't pay attention to your surroundings and figure out the combat system.

knitoe

Tiktaalik said:
Benezia

Are you fighting her right when fight begins? If yes, don't. Run to right corner. She can't hit you over there. Kill the guys she calls out and just ignore her all together. Keep on doing that each time more guys come out. Her energy bar will go lower and lower. After few times, you get a cinema. Now, it's the time to take her on.

clashfan

Tiktaalik said:
Benezia

Are you using the correct strategy?
Don't try to kill her at first. Kill all the enemies that spawn...

I loved the combat.

AniHawk

Son of Godzilla said:
Hackett is fucking depressing. He sounds like every person he's ever known not only killed themselves to save him but raped him right before that.

The poor guy was impaled and then ripped in two by an alien. I'd be a little down too.

Tiktaalik

Mindlog said:
Once I got the hang of it I enjoyed it a lot.

Quickly:
Upgrade feedback??? I don't know how to implement that.
Equipment management is pretty terrible. Keep it clean as much as possible and hope ME2 does better.
No randomness in combat for me. Just need to avoid rockets.
Healing system is simple. To heal hit Y to use a medigel. Y recharges and you can see it on the bottom left corner.
Swap at the ship or on a new character pickup.

Which is all mostly covered in the manual.

Oh don't get me wrong I understand how it all works, I just don't understand the choices that the developer made.

- For upgrade feedback they could have put on numbers on the hud that you can turn on that tell you about how much damage that you're doing.

- For healing it's annoying that you have to heal everyone if only one guy is hurt.
- The recharge time is annoying. I don't see the point in it. It's arbitrary and makes you die.
- I'm not sure what the advantages if any there are to having two healers in the party.
- If I die the game shouldn't end, it should go to another character, who can then revive Shephard.
- I am so damn far from the ship it's not funny.

Yeah basically I have a million ways in my head that I would have done things differently.

Tiktaalik

clashfan said:
Are you using the correct strategy?
Don't try to kill her at first. Kill all the enemies that spawn...

I loved the combat.

Yeah I'm actually doing that and ignoring the main boss. I'm finding it annoying though that enemy guys will spawn across the room and won't attack me so I have to risk my life to run over to attack them with my teammates lagging behind doing shit all.

Tiktaalik said:
Yeah I'm actually doing that and ignoring the main boss. I'm finding it annoying though that enemy guys will spawn across the room and won't attack me so I have to risk my life to run over to attack them with my teammates lagging behind doing shit all.

Get a bunch of tech/biotic allies and micro their abilities. On the easier difficulties the game is too fast paced for combat allies to be much use. Also they pretty much suck without max weapon skill anyway.

knitoe

Tiktaalik said:

You could set your teammates behind cover, run and engage enemy, run back to teammates, and enemy will follow you.

Chrange

Banned
You don't have to run all the way over there. Use the walkway behind 'her' until you can see the enemies, then shoot them or use biotics. You can generally target them from about the halfway point of the catwalk, and they'll rarely land hits on you in return.

People that have a ton of trouble with the game generally don't make good use of biotics or their teammates. I generally don't use Lift/Singularity against a single enemy, for example, you can just Throw them down and kill them. I tend to save Lift/Singularity for an emergency or a crowd. I'd rather kill four enemies at once by using Singularity to drag them off a catwalk and drop them to their death than sit there shooting and complaining :p

I thought that fight was one of the easier ones. I turn off teammates Biotic use (leave them defensive ones) and chain biotic enemies. Dampen, Throw, Lift, Singularity - by the time I run out of attacks that prevent them from casting/shooting, they're dead.

Mindlog

Tiktaalik said:
Oh don't get me wrong I understand how it all works, I just don't understand the choices that the developer made.

- For upgrade feedback they could have put on numbers on the hud that you can turn on that tell you about how much damage that you're doing.

- For healing it's annoying that you have to heal everyone if only one guy is hurt.
- The recharge time is annoying. I don't see the point in it. It's arbitrary and makes you die.
- I'm not sure what the advantages if any there are to having two healers in the party.
- If I die the game shouldn't end, it should go to another character, who can then revive Shephard.

Yeah basically I have a million ways in my head that I would have done things differently.

ah

The medigel cooldown is probably to prevent spamming. It doesn't matter how many people are being healed it's just 1 medigel.

You can nab what first aid does over http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/First_Aid

Benezia
is tougher for some than others. I think I died twice during my various playthroughs, both times to her massive damage whatever it is she does when I got a little sloppy and stopped paying attention. I also got hard bugged once. http://kotaku.com/gaming/bugs/stretch-armstrong-joins-cast-of-mass-effect-glitch-edition-330046.php (same bug same place) That was annoying as hell.

Tiktaalik said:

See all my posts from about five pages ago. I fucked up and went to that planet first, and when I got to her, I was thinking what you are and not liking the game. It doesn't help that her cutscenes are absurdly long--I have no desire to hear Counselor Troi for the foreseeable future.

Keep retrying until you catch a break and kill her. Once you level up some more, the combat gets a lot more fun.

Shinjitsu

Banned
I find it comical that the people who suck at the combat in Mass Effect seem to be the ones who are griping about how the game "sucks" or is "broken". Seriously learn to play the damn game, or just give up and realize its not for you.

I've played threw the game with a Sentinel on Insanity from level one (from what people have said this is the hardest class to play with), I've had no fights I couldn't overcome with a little strategy. Stop trying to play the game like its a fucking shooter, it's not hard at all, use a little brain power, stop trying to play it like it's Halo.

Top Bottom