• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Brakara

Solo said:
I have gotten my first glitch I think, on my second playthrough. Has anyone gotten the "Uncle Kyle" assignment, gone to his base, have an X on the map where he should be, yet he is no where to be found? How can I kill Uncle Kyle when he is either invisible or non-existent? I killed all his minions, left the planet, returned, etc. Still no Kyle.

Killing? Oh, I guess you're going the Renegade path? :D

Hellraizer is correct though. You can see a green light at that building now, where as when you first arrived there it was red.

Uncle said:
Renegade.

Bah. Damn my Shepard character and his Paragon blue balls.

Solo

Hellraizer said:
He is in the other building, to the right of the first one where you ask the biotic to open the door. I was confused too in the first time, since the "X" on the map doesn't make any sense, but it's not a glitch, they just probably placed it there unintentionally.

Awesome, thanks!

JayDubya

Banned
What is this "I Remember Me?" quest that people keep mentioning?

I got one called "Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things" that was tied to my Spacer background. I have to imagine Earthborn and Colonist also have quests on the Citadel after you do a few story planets.

I'm guessing each Background has a unique quest, each Reputation has a slight story tie-in with a side quest.

So far, I've figured out the Reputation ones all play out:

The pirate Elanos Haliat organized the Blitz on Elysium, if you're a War Hero you earned the Star of Terra for defending against the Blitz.

Corporal Toombs is trying to execute a Cerberus scientist responsible for a lot of work with Thresher Maws. If you're a Sole Survivor your entire unit was killed on Akuze by thresher maws, and Toombs was part of your unit, presumed dead.

Father Kyle will call a Ruthless Shepard the "butcher of Torfan," and I believe he served on Torfan with Shepard.

Solo

JayDubya said:
I got one called "Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things" that was tied to my Spacer background. I have to imagine Earthborn and Colonist also have quests on the Citadel after you do a few story planets.

I'm guessing each Background has a unique quest, each Reputation has a slight story tie-in with a side quest.

I got that one in my current playthrough as a Spacer, and "Old Friends" in my first playthrough as an Earthborn.

JayDubya

Banned
Oh, and one of the funniest things in the game is on Noveria - Administrator Anoleis's little quips based on your background. Well, his Earthborn one is more insulting but funny, but the Spacer one is hilarious.

Well, that, and also on Noveria: "Uhhh... sic semper tyr... [cough]." With subsequent mumbling of random numbers by Jennifer Hale, if you are fem Shep.

JayDubya said:
What is this "I Remember Me?" quest that people keep mentioning?

So far, I've figured out the Reputation ones all play out:

The pirate Elanos Haliat organized the Blitz on Elysium, if you're a War Hero you earned the Star of Terra for defending against the Blitz.

Corporal Toombs is trying to execute a Cerberus scientist responsible for a lot of work with Thresher Maws. If you're a Sole Survivor your entire unit was killed on Akuze by thresher maws, and Toombs was part of your unit, presumed dead.

Father Kyle will call a Ruthless Shepard the "butcher of Torfan," and I believe he served on Torfan with Shepard.

those quests sort of symbolize the main problem I have with Mass Effect. It's cool and awesome that they took your reputation into account to make those quests but after I saved toombs and the scientist from death....nothing happens, nobody mentions how crazy that situation was or anything about it other than that lame Alliance commander guy maybe telling me how great of a job I did while I stare at Shepard's emotionless face. There's no payoff for doing something awesome like that it just...stops

Brakara

Btw, anyone who knows of a map of all the Keepers' locations? I've found 20/21, and I've been everywhere (multiple times). There's one keeper that I can "examine" (not scan), but the VI next to it just says "Don't bother the Keepers" when I do. Is that the last one? Can't remember if I've scanned that one or not.

Johnkers

Brakara said:
Btw, anyone who knows of a map of all the Keepers' locations? I've found 20/21, and I've been everywhere (multiple times). There's one keeper that I can "examine" (not scan), but the VI next to it just says "Don't bother the Keepers" when I do. Is that the last one? Can't remember if I've scanned that one or not.

It means you've scanned it. There's that one near the
bomb AI
and make sure you check the council

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Brakara said:

If you're getting the secondary message for the Keeper, you've got it. You're missing a different one.

Quick search on Youtube yields this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXD9o2uXsjA&feature=related

Mojovonio

Banned
Brakara said:

You're probably missing the one in the docking bay.

So I am in the beginning stages of my Soldier run on Hardcore.

Any suggestions on the best squad? I am thinking of doing Wrex/Kaiden this time. My first time was as an adept with garrus/Tali.

Gattsu25

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
So I am in the beginning stages of my Soldier run on Hardcore.

Any suggestions on the best squad? I am thinking of doing Wrex/Kaiden this time. My first time was as an adept with garrus/Tali.
Wrex & Garrus, methinks

might as well go with your instinct, however, due to the achievement+bonus you'll get from kaiden

Brakara

urk said:
If you're getting the secondary message for the Keeper, you've got it. You're missing a different one.

Quick search on Youtube yields this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXD9o2uXsjA&feature=related

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home from work.

Mojovonio said:
You're probably missing the one in the docking bay.

No, I'm turtling through the game so the first thing I did when I got to the docking bay was to check out the view, thus finding the keeper. :)

Johnkers said:
make sure you check the council

The Citadel Tower? Looked everywhere there.

Are there any other places where you can only get to by using elevators (like the Wards Access)? Maybe that's how I've missed it...

bengraven

papercut said:
Finally beat it. The game needed more story missions and less boring roving missions. There are like what, 5 main quest planets? That's pretty thin. All in all I felt that they built up this massive universe and in the end the game just wasn't epic enough.

This is what I was afraid of for replay value.

And wait, you can have sex with the consort, I knew that...but right at the beginning of the game? What did I do wrong that she would just give me advice and send me on my way?

bengraven

Psychotext said:
Yes, after you did what she asked you to do for her.

Weird. I just did everything she asked while going Paragon and got nothing but some advice. I must have screwed something up along the way. That's usually how Bioware romances work. I remember trying to romance the princess in Jade Empire and no matter what I did, she never dug me. :lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Brakara said:

Are there any other places where you can only get to by using elevators (like the Wards Access)? Maybe that's how I've missed it...

I missed one of the Citadel Keepers though I thought I had scowered the place pretty good. What I ended up doing was back-tracking through every area until I had them all. None are hidden too thoroughly, but some are easy to overlook while you are completing other missions.

bengraven said:
Weird. I just did everything she asked while going Paragon and got nothing but some advice. I must have screwed something up along the way. That's usually how Bioware romances work. I remember trying to romance the princess in Jade Empire and no matter what I did, she never dug me. :lol
As earlier posts stated, you need to be a renegade.

angelfly

bengraven said:

You have to pick "That's it?" or it doesn't happen.

JayDubya

Banned
Psychotext said:
As earlier posts stated, you need to be a renegade.

Actually you can sleep with her and still get Paragon points for it.

It's all in how you treat her before she gives you her little speech.

You be nicey nice and do all that "oh it was my pleasure to help, ma'am" stuff, then once you get the speech you can either be polite and thank her or go with the lower right option (something like "Um... thanks," or "That's all?" Basically, a suggestion that her gift is inadequate). Go with said option and there you go, Asari sex & +2 Paragon.

It's nothing special. I wonder if this might be their "first draft" of the later sex scene. :lol

bengraven

JayDubya said:
Actually you can sleep with her and still get Paragon points for it.

It's all in how you treat her before she gives you her little speech.

You be nicey nice and do all that "oh it was my pleasure to help, ma'am" stuff, then once you get the speech you can either be polite and thank her or go with the lower right option (something like "Um... thanks," or "That's all?" Basically, a suggestion that her gift is inadequate). Go with said option and there you go, Asari sex & +2 Paragon.

It's nothing special. I wonder if this might be their "first draft" of the later sex scene. :lol

Thanks. I should have did a save before that. :lol

I might have to pick this up after Christmas then. 5 day rentals just don't cut it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
IronicallyTwisted said:
Wheres this "I remember me" sidequest. Man I missed quite a bit in this game...

I love this side quest! It might be my favourite in the game.
However, it's only available if you chose the "Sole Survivor" background.

Uncle

bengraven said:
And wait, you can have sex with the consort, I knew that...but right at the beginning of the game? What did I do wrong that she would just give me advice and send me on my way?

More cocky & funny.

Im am speechless right now. This game just gives me one big moment after the other. Completed V
irmire
yesterday and
talked to the Prothean VI (Protheans, the truth about the Citadel/Keepers)
, before i continue I need a damn break just to sum things up and to "cool down", Mass Effect is truly an amazing experience and probably (for me) the best Game this Gen has to offer. I didnt even finish my first playtrough and cant wait to start a new one (new profile for some new sidemissions) :D

watership

Brakara said:
Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home from work.

No, I'm turtling through the game so the first thing I did when I got to the docking bay was to check out the view, thus finding the keeper. :)

Have you checked the C-sec academys upper levels near the docking control room?

arhra

Fuck me, insanity is hard. Just started my fourth playthrough, going with a colonist/ruthless mostly-renegade infiltrator (with AR as my bonus) default male shepard this time (tried to make a custom one, but the voice acting was just so completely out of place i couldn't carry on with it :lol).

That fight with the assassins outside Chora's Den just after you get to the Citadel was an absolute bitch (not to mention the fight inside Chora's Den later on, when you're going for Fist... that fucking Krogan bouncer just would... not... die...)

I've been trying to get into Mass Effect, but the game just isn't helping matters.

Heres where I am:
I just made Spectre and now command the Normandy. I'm in the Artemis Tau cluster looking for the daughter/scientist. Theres a few battles on the planet surface and eventually you face a couple Geth, some hoppy things (Geth Stalkers?) and a large 4 legged turret thing whose name I forget.

But here's the problem: My teammates are idiots. I can't send them more than 10 feet without pathing problems - they'll run in circles, stop dead in the water or come running back to me. They won't duck into cover, and have no defensive skills besides their powers. Now all of this is annoying when things are relatively safe, but once a big battle starts up even small issues like these seem to get them killed almost instantly.

You know the cutscene that starts the battle?
With the stalker dropping from underneath a walkway, and a ship that passes you and drops all the baddies?
OK, from this starting position I've taken two paths:

1. Have myself take cover against the barrier immediately in front of me. Have my teammates take cover behind the barrier to the right of my position, or about 10 feet in front of their starting position, which is wide open. Result?: They both move to cover and just as they get there somehow they both die from a missile. So much for using cover.

2. Restarting I decide to break left to seek cover in the warehouse. I give my team a waypoint along the interior wall - Rex bites it immediately. Don't know what got him. Tech girl meanders her way in ever widening circles until she can make her way into the warehouse, getting whittled down along the way. So much for giving a simple command to break left.

WTF? If this is supposed to be tactical combat in the slightest I'm not seeing it. Its like I can either command them to get lost trying to move somewhere, or I can command them to take cover that they'll ignore or stand out of at the earliest opportunity. The friendly AI in this game makes your teammates in GRAW 1 look like fucking Einsteins.

Am I missing something?

Uncle

I did the following in that battle:
Immediately as the battle starts press RB and use whatever you can to take out the hopping things. If you can hack one, all the better. You need to kill those as soon as you can. Then take cover behind the crates (I took the one on the left) and kill the regular bi-ped geths and then the armature. The armature is actually pretty easy, since you have lots of time to get to proper cover when it launches the big blue blast. Use unity if you have it.

Zerachiel

Which weapon should I use for my next playthrough?

I used a biotic with pistols to play through the first part. I want to try a tech class now, but I'm bored of pistols and I don't like sniper rifles. I'm planning on farming monkeys with my adepts to get the weapon achievement unlocked so I can put it on my engineer. The question is, which weapon? Shotguns or Assault Rifles?

Zerachiel said:
Which weapon should I use for my next playthrough?

I used a biotic with pistols to play through the first part. I want to try a tech class now, but I'm bored of pistols and I don't like sniper rifles. I'm planning on farming monkeys with my adepts to get the weapon achievement unlocked so I can put it on my engineer. The question is, which weapon? Shotguns or Assault Rifles?

Shotgun for sure.

Well I did survive the battle on my second run-through by ordering the team to break left and take cover inside the warehouse - but like I said Rex never made it to cover before being blasted to pieces. Tech girl barely survived the trip because the stalkers kept whittling her down while jumping all over the place. Once inside I was able to shotgun the stalkers at close range while she provided some flanking fire with her pistol (didn't get hacking for her until after this battle). Once the main Geth ground troops were taken out I ran back outside and took position behind the barrier on the right and told tech girl to take the barrier to the left. The only enemy left was the armature, and it wasn't much of a threat because its missiles couldn't defeat my cover.

So I pause and tell the tech girl (who is behind cover 10 feet to my left) to sabotage the armature. Nothing happens. She just doesn't do it. I try to get her to overcharge it. Nothing. Marksman? Nothing. She's just sitting there behind cover. I eventually had to give her another move command two feet to her right, and then, and only then does she start firing at the thing. Seeing as how I can't count on her to take this thing's shields down I slowly whittle at it with my assault rifle until eventually it croaks.

Not my idea of fun, but I survived.

The game does have tactical options, and I *do* want to use them, but the lack of a decent AI is really mucking with the works. If my teammates die it should be because of a tactical mistake I've made - there should have been at least one proper choice I could've made to keep them alive, but so far it feels like the luck of the draw. Is the pathing going to glitch? Are they just going to stand there doing nothing? Luck of the draw.

I'm still patient though, and I'll see if it gets any better.

Uncle

I don't know why, but I never had any serious problems with the ally AI. Usually they just went for the cover I was going to take or just walked into my line of fire for a moment (sucks when you are sniping). I never tried to tell them where to go, though.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Aw crap. Starting a new character on Hardcore = fewer tech points. Fuck, the difficulty is perfect otherwise, but new character = nerfed character.

Unless you somehow just get 2 the whole game and don't go from 3 to 1 like in Normal.

Blah.

chase

My main problems with the game are all on the role-playing side. Yeah, the "tactical combat" doesn't really work, but I've found them to kill effectively enough without it, even playing as a tech.

But there just feels like there's something missing. Maybe it's the shallow sidequests. Actually, calling them shallow feels like I'm doing them too much credit. Copy and paste level designs and enemies, lack of interesting characters. Even when there are actual characters in the sidequests, they feel so insubstantial, like non sequiturs; they, and the quests they inhabit, seem like they were added through user-created mods.

You make decisions but what effect do they have? You usually get the same response no matter what you say. And on the 3 or 4 occasions where there actually is an effect, it's easy to determine: a. that this is a DECISION MOMENT; and b. what it will be.

Changing your history changes a dozen lines of dialog and a quest. What's the point? If that's the best they can do, it seems like much more work than it's worth. Along those same lines, I'd like to see just two companions in the next game. Then maybe they'll have some depth that doesn't manifest itself solely through conversations in the terribly-designed bowels of the ship.

I'd like, I dunno, actual towns in the next game? Sidequests that feel like they weren't taken straight out of an 8-bit game? Choices that matter, but seriously this time?

I realize that changing all this would be difficult...but that's BioWare's problem. They created this game that wants to be, and seems as though it should be, so much more than it is. The fact that it seems constrained and hollow is a result of how the game itself makes you feel it should be. All this stuff is there but it just.doesn't.reach it's goals.

As I was going through the beginning of the game and what I thought was an introductory town and basic sidequests, I felt certain that this game was going to take a spot in my all-time top 10. As the game went on and its limitations became annoyingly, glaringly clear, it fell precipitously. I'd even venture to say that while it's a good, ambitious game, it's not even a great one. That's how dramatically the limitations of the game affect my opinion of it.

chase said:
As I was going through the beginning of the game and what I thought was an introductory town and basic sidequests, I felt certain that this game was going to take a spot in my all-time top 10. As the game went on and its limitations became annoyingly, glaringly clear, it fell precipitously. I'd even venture to say that while it's a good, ambitious game, it's not even a great one. That's how dramatically the limitations of the game affect my opinion of it.
Interesting... for me the start of the game barely put Mass Effect in the top 200 games I've ever played - It was a real chore for me up until I got out of the citadel and I very nearly stopped playing. (This is a game I was massively hyped about, so I wasn't going to just quit, I would have gone back to it in a few weeks).

The last parts of the game easily put Mass Effect into the top 15 games I've ever played... and that's quite a list. It also enabled me to start again and get through the citadel without getting too bored simply because I knew what was coming afterwards.

Mindlog

Tieno said:
Apparantly they're (Sam Hulick) scoring specific music for the DLC :O

Very cool.

I heard this and checked around for more news/confirmation.

found this

December 9th, 2007

Music from Mass Effect will debut at the Video Games Live show in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, at the Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, February 17th at 8 PM. Or, check out other venues and purchase tickets!

:eek:

chase said:
My main problems with the game are all on the role-playing side. Yeah, the "tactical combat" doesn't really work, but I've found them to kill effectively enough without it, even playing as a tech.

But there just feels like there's something missing. Maybe it's the shallow sidequests. Actually, calling them shallow feels like I'm doing them too much credit. Copy and paste level designs and enemies, lack of interesting characters. Even when there are actual characters in the sidequests, they feel so insubstantial, like non sequiturs; they, and the quests they inhabit, seem like they were added through user-created mods.

You make decisions but what effect do they have? You usually get the same response no matter what you say. And on the 3 or 4 occasions where there actually is an effect, it's easy to determine: a. that this is a DECISION MOMENT; and b. what it will be.

Changing your history changes a dozen lines of dialog and a quest. What's the point? If that's the best they can do, it seems like much more work than it's worth. Along those same lines, I'd like to see just two companions in the next game. Then maybe they'll have some depth that doesn't manifest itself solely through conversations in the terribly-designed bowels of the ship.

I'd like, I dunno, actual towns in the next game? Sidequests that feel like they weren't taken straight out of an 8-bit game? Choices that matter, but seriously this time?

I realize that changing all this would be difficult...but that's BioWare's problem. They created this game that wants to be, and seems as though it should be, so much more than it is. The fact that it seems constrained and hollow is a result of how the game itself makes you feel it should be. All this stuff is there but it just.doesn't.reach it's goals.

This is pretty much how I feel about the game.

Gattsu25

Banned
Awesome experience in the game last night: I was doing a sub mission for Hackett and decided to resolve it peacefully on my Renegade character...when he acknowledged that the mission was complete, he stated that he expected me to act differently and that the reason why he chose me to perform the mission was because he expected me to end it in bloodshed.

So awesome

Top Bottom