• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

ok something weird is going on...

i'm on my second playthrough using my character from my first playthrough. he's level 56 now with pretty much level X for weapons, upgrades, armor.

the problem is there are *no* polonium or tungsten ammo upgrades to be found anywhere! i don't know what happened, but i never see them anymore. i don't have any in my inventory (although i know i finished the game with them the first time).

anyone else seen this? am i just unlucky or is this some kind of bug?

SeaOfMadness said:
ok something weird is going on...

i'm on my second playthrough using my character from my first playthrough. he's level 56 now with pretty much level X for weapons, upgrades, armor.

the problem is there are *no* polonium or tungsten ammo upgrades to be found anywhere! i don't know what happened, but i never see them anymore. i don't have any in my inventory (although i know i finished the game with them the first time).

Some stuff only goes to VII or VII (can't remember which one). I deleted a bunch of shredder ammo because I figured I'd find better ones later, which never happened. Kind of a bummer. I just use Sledgehammer or Inferno X instead.

Hellraizer said:
I had that one 2 or 3 times :lol , the one thing thats good about elevator speed, the news and the converstaions between the other squad members.
Some of the conversations were fantastic.

Wrex: So could you take Shepard in a fight?
Garrus: ?!?!

MaizeRage25 said:
Some stuff only goes to VII or VII (can't remember which one). I deleted a bunch of shredder ammo because I figured I'd find better ones later, which never happened. Kind of a bummer. I just use Sledgehammer or Inferno X instead.

yeah i did a quick search on the bioware forums and indeed shredder and tungsten only go up to VII so i never seem them anymore at my level. which sucks, because the damage bonus against synthetics was really good. oh well :(

Ok is there some secret to running across Colossus X armor? I've been stuck with predetor armor for the entirty of my 60 run play through and I want awesome looking red and black armor dammit! I ran into into Quarian Colossus armor and human light armor but never heavy or medium. Do they exist? Tell me the exist. TELL ME WHAT I MUST DO.

I was hoping we could actually talk our way out of fighting Saren if we had a high enough charm/intimidate, but alas we still are forced to battle zombie-regenerator-Saren.

Anyone else have trouble with the Asari Ally Achievement? I've done 51 side missions with her and as many main assignments as possible, and still no luck. Starting to wonder if I messed something up on accident.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Ok is there some secret to running across Colossus X armor? I've been stuck with predetor armor for the entirty of my 60 run play through and I want awesome looking red and black armor dammit! I ran into into Quarian Colossus armor and human light armor but never heavy or medium. Do they exist? Tell me the exist. TELL ME WHAT I MUST DO.

I have both the Medium and the Heavy. Got the medium by buying the license from the C-Sec guy and then going right to the Normandy. Got the Heavy through a pick-up. Pure luck, I guess.

Shinjitsu

Banned
ILOVEASIANS said:
Anyone else have trouble with the Asari Ally Achievement? I've done 51 side missions with her and as many main assignments as possible, and still no luck. Starting to wonder if I messed something up on accident.

Yah, my first playthrew I had her in my party from early on, didn't get the achievement. On my 3rd playthrew I used her again and ended up getting it, I grabbed her as early as possible doing NONE of the Citidel quests or anything.

ILOVEASIANS said:

To get Asari, you have to leave the Citadel ASAP. I had only 4 missions complete and zero assignments when I got Liara. After that, I used her to the end, and I didn't get the achievement until I was on Ilos.

arhra

ILOVEASIANS said:
Just do the absolute minimum required for the storyline on the Citadel at the start, then go immediately to Therum to get Liara, then go back and do everything with her in your party. Do every single sidequest you can find, and it shouldn't be an issue (i got it just after returning from Virmire, after doing a sidequest or two that had just opened up on the Citadel).

Uncle

SeaOfMadness said:

Polonium merges with something (hammerheads or something, maybe) and become those sledgehammer rounds that do extra weapons force damage and toxic damage. IIRC, similar happens to the shield piercing ammo that evolves into the cryo rounds and the snowblind.

Edit:
Red Blaster said:
I was hoping we could actually talk our way out of fighting Saren if we had a high enough charm/intimidate, but alas we still are forced to battle zombie-regenerator-Saren.

I thought it turned out pretty nicely. It would have been a bit of an anti-climax if it had just stopped there.

JayDubya

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
I have both the Medium and the Heavy. Got the medium by buying the license from the C-Sec guy and then going right to the Normandy. Got the Heavy through a pick-up. Pure luck, I guess.

Or, just get it from the C-Sec guy.

If you want good armor for Shepard, Ashley, Kaidan, or Liara, be high level, go to the Citadel, save before talking to him, see if he has it, reload, repeat as needed.

If you want good armor for Wrex, Garrus, or Tali, same thing, but with the "Jelly" in the Financial District.

Be sure to be south of the merchant when saving (the camera ALWAYS faces north when you reload).

Pakman

Psychotext said:
What would have been nice on the inventory screen (especially vendor) is being able to see all upgrades / shotguns / whatever together so that you could more easily decide what to use or sell. Actually ended up writing some of my inventory down so I could work out what I needed.

Yeah the only quibble I have with this game is the horrible inventory system. But I wouldn't spend much time worrying about weapons and armor. Just equip your 3 main characters with the best stuff you currently have and sell everything else you don't use. I kept hanging onto a whole bunch of armor and weapons that I never used - and while I never wrote my inventory down - I did spend way to much time sorting through my inventory. Just spend time sorting through your upgrades - and keep at least 3 of each and only sell them when you find better versions of them. Also once you get the spectre weapons - it really kills the need to pay attention to weapons (unless they have better stuff post level 50 that I haven't seen). Some weapons may do more damage than the spectre weapons - but the cooldown and stability of the spectre weapons make them superior than anything I ran across.

Uncle said:
I thought it turned out pretty nicely. It would have been a bit of an anti-climax if it had just stopped there.

As an option I meant. Ah well, done with the game. Now to start over and go through it as a frigid bitch.

zam

Playing through it my second time, this time as paragon on hardcore with my character from the first playthrough. Only bummer is that the first playthrough I went for renegade and maxed out intimidate, and now as a nice guy I've maxed out charm. Just wish I could put all those points on intimidate to good use.

Would be nice if when you started a new playthrough as an existing character, you could have the level and get to put the points all over again (like you do when you get new party members in the second playthrough).

adg1034

I searched, but can't seem to find any answers on this:

The Asari trinket you get from a Citadel quest:

I completed the Asari consort questline pretty much first thing once I got to the Citadel. Played Paragon all the way, and was given the Prothean trinket (at least my quest log says I did, though I don't see it as an item icon there). I'm now at Eletania, I've found the globe, but whenever I try to use it, I get the "There's a hole here that looks like it might fit some sort of key or trinket; good luck finding it in our enormous galaxy." message. I want to see the Protheans on Earth.

D:

Anyone?

Ten-Song

adg1034 said:
I searched, but can't seem to find any answers on this:

The Asari trinket you get from a Citadel quest:

I completed the Asari consort questline pretty much first thing once I got to the Citadel. Played Paragon all the way, and was given the Prothean trinket (at least my quest log says I did, though I don't see it as an item icon there). I'm now at Eletania, I've found the globe, but whenever I try to use it, I get the "There's a hole here that looks like it might fit some sort of key or trinket; good luck finding it in our enormous galaxy." message. I want to see the Protheans on Earth.

D:

Anyone?

The trick to that one I think is
you have to make sure you talk to the Elcor and get things settled with him BEFORE talking to the Asari again. I think I ran into the same problem on one of my files, but on another I went and took care of things with the Elcor first and got the charm for the big glowy thing. Too bad the reward you get it just a few boring pages of text...

This might be a long shot, but does anyone have that cool 360 motivational poster where it says even its rpgs are shooters?

That was Mass Effect, right?

adg1034 said:
I'm pretty sure I did, but I guess it doesn't matter that much.

You had sex with her though, right? That's what I did (Renegade answers) and I apparently did not get the trinket either. You gotta be nice to her to get it.

armubaba

I finished Feros and haven't got to play in a while, and I can already here Mass Effect beckoning me to come back. Great game.

On a side note, I love how I am a complete and utter dick to everybody in the whole game except for Ashley and Liara because I'm trying to get in their pants. :lol

Uncle

MaizeRage25 said:
You had sex with her though, right? That's what I did (Renegade answers) and I apparently did not get the trinket either. You gotta be nice to her to get it.

No you don't. You just have to speak to the elcor first.

knitoe

Gamer @ Heart said:

Shop all the vendors by using saving / reloading technique. If their inventory changes after a reload, keep on doing it until he sales you the Colossus armor you want. Repeat at a different vendor. Once you have done it with all the possible vendors, their inventory won't change again until you complete another step in the main quest. It's the fastest way to get the armor bar none. I have all the Spectre X weapons and Colossus X armor for every character after 2nd play through.

Solo

So I completed a whole bunch of sidequests last night (trying to get Completionist/Soldier Ally/Krogan Ally in my second playthrough), and the "Geth Incursion" Assignment took me longer than some of the actual planets in the main story :lol Clearing out bases on 5 different planets was a pain in the ass.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Whoa cannot believe I finished the game last night, the fight to the citidal was pretty epic. Those proton bullets really helped with shields. I ended up doing both endings, saving right before deciding to save the council or not. I hope the sequel starts with the human council instead of the current ones. I would like to see how a human council will work, but I do know for plot reasons the alien council survives.

Now I am replaying again to advance to level 60 hopefully, it is awesome that all the stuff transfers over even for your teammates. Unfortunately for kaiden, i plan to kill him again.:D

Does anyone know why it says DLC is available on the maketplace, when there isn't any DLC.

Solo said:
So I completed a whole bunch of sidequests last night (trying to get Completionist/Soldier Ally/Krogan Ally in my second playthrough), and the "Geth Incursion" Assignment took me longer than some of the actual planets in the main story :lol Clearing out bases on 5 different planets was a pain in the ass.

That was fun for me actually. Then again, I was level 40ish at that time.

JayDubya

Banned
Solo said:

That one is very time consuming. It does happen to be worth a lot of xp though, with all the armitages, colossi, and turrets involved.

Solo

neojubei said:
That was fun for me actually. Then again, I was level 40ish at that time.

I was around lvl 37, so it wasnt that bad in terms of difficulty, just, like Dubya said, very time consuming.

eznark

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked, I haven't gone through and read the whole thread for fear of spoiling the ending of the game. I've cleared out 2 of the planets in the Geth Incursion level and just turned level 42. Is there any chance of me hitting level 50? I've done pretty much every side quest except for two on Ferros that I missed, and have yet to finish the 4 scavenger-type quests.

I am loving this game though, and will definitely be going through it again with a different class, but I'm not sure how that works. I've read some things (I've been trying to not read much til I play through once) that talk of experience "carrying over" when you play it again?

Sorry, as I wouldn't doubt if these have been answered before.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think you can hit 50 if you take the time to jump out of the Mako and kill everything yourself.
I did nearly everything and hit 49 - but I always used the Mako to kill people.

Uncle said:
No you don't. You just have to speak to the elcor first.
Just to clear it up: is it the item which she had a long time, this valuable thingy you get, right before you can say "thats it?" and get laid?

I think you can hit 50 if you take the time to jump out of the Mako and kill everything yourself.
I did nearly everything and hit 49 - but I always used the Mako to kill people.
50 is no problem, you just have to do almost everything, and you can make it on the first playthrough. I was half way trough the game before I actually started to jump out of the mako to defeat the enemies.

eznark

Banned
I guess I should clarify where I'm at. I'm literally on my way to the last part of the game. I finished the 3 main planets, and am trying to hit 50. Is there any place to go to get kills after you've completed the objectives?

eznark

Banned
That would be nice, but nope, I'm scraping for experience. I have played most of the game with Ashley and Liara, so I could probably go back with a tech character and open all the crates and what-not, but that seems more like work than fun. Guess I'll just focus on leveling a bit more the next play through, I'm not a big achievement guy, but I figure I'll end close enough to 50 to have it piss me off.

Do those mineral and writings quests provide any significant EXP?

Yes they do. You also get a lot of money later in the game depending on your level (about 22k for one survey of minerals/deposits/etc.) If you want to reach 50, you should be at 48 or 49 before going to the 5th Planet of the Main Quest. That would be the safest thing to do.

Just survey a lot, and always defeat the geth and thresher maws outside of the Mako (hit the maws with the Mako first, until they have almost no energy left, then go out and finish the job)

Mrbob

Whewt. Got my Level 60 achievement last night!

Krogan mercenaries are a pain in the ass on Hardcore difficulty! I haven't had much trouble with anything else, but those damn krogans take a TON of hits to bring down.

eznark

Banned
Money has seemed fairly irrelevant. I only sell shit cause it gets annoying having to convert things into gel when the inventory gets full. I got that millionaire achievement without having any clue as to how much money I had. I haven't bought anything really, been able to power through the game with drops. I did just buy an assault rifle however, and i've bought armor here and there, but it seems mostly like an afterthought in the game.

I might spend a few hours trying to level up, but 7 levels without much left to do seems unlikely at this point, unless there are some Geth respawn spots to grind somewhere.

eznark said:
I might spend a few hours trying to level up, but 7 levels without much left to do seems unlikely at this point, unless there are some Geth respawn spots to grind somewhere.
Just go trough some newer systems/clusters before going to your final destination, some sidemissions could pop up then (even without any info in the Journal) where you can earn some exp, also you should be able to level up on Virmire, if you always go out of the mako to kill the enemies...(and do the same thing on the Geth planets)

Uncle

Hellraizer said:
Just to clear it up: is it the item which she had a long time, this valuable thingy you get, right before you can say "thats it?" and get laid?

Yes.

Mrbob said:
Whewt. Got my Level 60 achievement last night!

Krogan mercenaries are a pain in the ass on Hardcore difficulty! I haven't had much trouble with anything else, but those damn krogans take a TON of hits to bring down.

Rounds that do toxic damage help a lot, since it stops their health from regenerating.

bendak

Money becomes worthless during the 50-60 playthrough. Long before I finished I was capped at 9,999,999 credits and I never sold a single thing to a vendor.

Uncle

Hellraizer said:
Good then I got it, thanks. I just need to find the planet now, which Cluster/System is it? (I missed it on my first play trough :( )

I can't remember the cluster, but IIRC it was in the Hercules sytem, a planet called Eletania. The one with the monkeys, I think.

Mrbob

Uncle said:
Yes.

Rounds that do toxic damage help a lot, since it stops their health from regenerating.

Yeah I was using polonium rounds VIII before. Now I changed them out to Sledgehammer Rounds X and it still takes awhile to take those mofos down.

Top Bottom